Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Tommychu posted:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/1986-saab-900-spg-new-price/1045919737?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Wow. Were it not for my lack of a garage and miserable luck with '80s vehicles I'd find this impossible to resist.

There's a house in calgary that has about three of those in various states of being parted out in the driveway and garage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

blk posted:

Dum de dum, checking out an AW11 on Craigslist:

http://portland.craigslist.org/yam/cto/4871494411.html

Sweet. no spoiler/bodykit so it looks cleaner and no T-tops, = less leak potential. Definitely the look I prefer. The water spot on the trunk carpet seems a bit fishy (although this is Oregon so it is plausible that there is truly no rust) and the front passenger quarterpanel appears to be a different shade...ad says it's almost due for a new clutch...I'm sure that's a bitch to get to...hrmm, 85 is also a bit early in the lifespan; I should do more research about year to year model changes.

*searches for year to year AW11 changes*

*finds random Jalopnik article*

*finds exact car from CL ad in Jalopnik article comments*

http://oppositelock.jalopnik.com/i-have-a-silver-85-hardtop-which-i-love-to-death-i-wou-1394904855

The Jalopnik poster said he wouldn't trade it for anything, but he must have changed his mind within a year or so - the CL car has new plates and it is highly unlikely that two silver hardtop AW11s exist in Oregon, so unless the plates were stolen there was an ownership transfer, and now the new owner is looking to unload it after a few months according to his ad.

I wonder what's going on. Hot Canadian Chick, you interested on going on a goon date with me to check this out?

If you decide to not pick this up, please let me know how the car looks. The gf decided that we need a second car, so I am going to pick up a aw11 soonish and have been eyeing that same car for a while. Would have taken a look at it already, but I have not had the time to make the drive down from seattle.

I have always wanted that year/model, as its the lightest aw11 ever made, assuming that it has manual windows/door locks. I have never heard of any issues without the stock wing, but all of my old aw11's had wings.

*edit*

poo poo, this popped back up on CL. He actually emailed me about my e30 when I had it for sale.

1989 Toyota MR2 aw-11 - $3400 (Portland)

Any of you portland guys want to take a look at it on my behalf?

slurry_curry fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Feb 2, 2015

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

leica posted:

So what do people do with those Westies because after spending that much money on them you probably don't really want to go camping in it so what's the point?

And yeah why the hell would you put a 2.5 in one unless you love changing head gaskets.

I thought the last few years of 2.5 were pretty much bullet proof.. or is the 2006 too early?

Assuming the gaskets were done would it be "fixed" or is it a reoccurring issue?

I am NOT interested in this van (god no) just the 2.5 status.

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

blk posted:

Are you another Oregon AIer?

Seattle, I just always seem to find cool & well kept cars in Oregon..

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

There's got to be more wrong with it.

Edit: Durrr. http://juneau.craigslist.org/cto/4857607855.html

Advent Horizon fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Feb 2, 2015

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/1979-toyota-cressida-cressida/1027989220?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

pretty much everything about this is loving awesome, except the price.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

^^ In the same way..

Is it a 300ZX? 280ZX? 2 Seater? 2+2? Who knows! But I want $15K for it!

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/prince-george/1981-nissan-300zx-immaculate-one-owner/1045626736?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

I am sure it's a 2+2 as most of the photos show except the middle stock photo from something, but the only thing that could make it less desirable was if it was an auto. Certainly nowhere near a $15K car. Maybe a $4500 car on a good day.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/strathcona-county/1983-datsun-280zx/1025247833?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

This guy has been trying to sell this 280 for over a year now. It started at $12K and has been making its way down as the months drag on.

If it wasn't the horrid 2-tone and a Turbo swap (that is not an original turbo) I'd be all over it with a lowball offer. An 1982-83 minty 280ZX-T is a car on my wish list. Red if I can be picky.

quote:

I have a 1983 280zx for sale. This car is has been given a rating of 2.5 on the Krause publication rating scale by an independent appraisal. This means it is in very good condition. It was appraised at over $12,000. This vehicle is a collectors car and qualifies for antique registration and super affordable insurance! This car has won the best 280zx car in Edmonton multiple years. I have the plaques to prove it! The odometer shows 124500 km but it has less than 10,000km on a rebuilt engine. If you are interested in a rare 280zx then this is a must see car. Call or text Leighton at 780-710-7185. I will consider reasonable offers. Price just reduced by over $3000.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Feb 3, 2015

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Debating whether this is worth looking into. Might be worth a couple of months of fun max.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

what's the worst that could happen? do it!

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Powershift posted:

what's the worst that could happen? do it!

I might catch MR2 fever and actually buy it :ohdear:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Get it.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

1500quidporsche posted:

I might catch MR2 fever and actually buy it :ohdear:

I think you mean tetanus by the looks of that thing

(Buy it anyway)

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Buy it and sell it for 1k when you're done with it. Dooo it.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

slidebite posted:

I thought the last few years of 2.5 were pretty much bullet proof.. or is the 2006 too early?

Assuming the gaskets were done would it be "fixed" or is it a reoccurring issue?

I am NOT interested in this van (god no) just the 2.5 status.

My car is an EJ22, which is supposed to have less head gasket problems, so I'm not an expert on this. But my understanding with the 25 headgaskets is that there are later revisions that are multi-layer steel (referred to as MLS). If the HG was replaced with one of those, it's probably good. If it was replaced with the original design, it will probably need replacing again at some point. I don't know if '06 ones had problems for sure. When I was looking at Subarus before buying mine, I read that the problems ended in the early '00s, but at that point an '06 would have been 3 or 4 years old. Not many HGs are going to blow in the first 3-4 years.

Unless it's a dodge neon.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Holy Christ the AE86 thing is out of control.

http://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/4823763522.html

http://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/4868538825.html

SHOW CAR

http://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/4835008731.html

:lol:

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Negromancer posted:

poo poo, this popped back up on CL. He actually emailed me about my e30 when I had it for sale.

1989 Toyota MR2 aw-11 - $3400 (Portland)

Any of you portland guys want to take a look at it on my behalf?

I can go look at it for you - interesting that he didn't share this:

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Too bad you anime nerds don't live in Texas

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/cto/4873171437.html

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW
I wonder what kind of show cars I can buy on craigslist today...

......Cute.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/cto/4872135166.html

That's more like it!

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/4796918795.html

I would unironically daily drive the hell out of this

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/cto/4843682873.html

Or this

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/cto/4873313721.html

Yeah, sure buddy

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/4787059643.html

My type of show car

http://ventura.craigslist.org/cto/4872423190.html

Beats by dre

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/4843082405.html

HEY VAPER fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Feb 3, 2015

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Are car shows even worth going to? I had always just assumed it was a bunch of OCD snobs sitting around endlessly polishing their side mirrors.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I don't know if I'd ever pay to go to one, but there is or used to be a classic car show every summer here in town. It was pretty cool seeing the mint-condition classics some people own, but I'll admit part of the coolness was going with my dad, who knew a lot more about classics than I did. Since, you know, he was alive when they were new.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

quote:

It had about 35,000 miles on the engine. Sorry, I have no document regarding it. I was stupid enough to not put it on a record. I consider this more of an art than just merely a car. Please consider that in mind when pricing

This pretty well sums up what you need to know about (non-classic) car shows.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

blk posted:

I can go look at it for you - interesting that he didn't share this:

Thats interesting, I hope he got it back without any damage as he seems to be listing it for the same prices as it was back at the end of november. Did you check out that '85 yet?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Oh my god the miles :stare:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I don't know if I'd ever pay to go to one, but there is or used to be a classic car show every summer here in town. It was pretty cool seeing the mint-condition classics some people own, but I'll admit part of the coolness was going with my dad, who knew a lot more about classics than I did. Since, you know, he was alive when they were new.

Livermore has a kickass classic car show every summer, they just take over 1st, 2nd, and 3rd streets for the day. Admission is free. Reminds me, I still haven't gone through and sorted last year's show pictures; I had my shiny new DSLR so they looked a lot better (and will take forever to upload)

The sad thing about classic car shows is that there are all these cool cars by dead companies like Packard, but almost all of them have a loving SBC crate engine in them. No, don't bother keeping that really cool flathead six, drop in a V8, a bunch of Edelbrock poo poo, and an auto transmission because you're an old man. And seats from a 2000-something Nissan or whatever, because you're an old man.

The ones that are kept all original are amazing, though.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

leica posted:

Oh my god the miles :stare:

Honestly it's extremely impressive that the owner managed to keep it so clean after 300k miles. I've seen cars with 20k miles with way rougher interiors than that.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
I present, Saalica!
http://chico.craigslist.org/pts/4868088441.html

I wonder if this could be titled as the '67 Saab. If not, I can't imagine this will ever get plates as an 88 Toyota. I would think it would make an awesome rally car, but I'd expect the unibodies to decouple the first time you stressed it.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
How much meth was consumed to think doing that was a good idea, and where the amount of work you did was only worth a negotiable 800 dollars.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Octopus Magic posted:

How much meth was consumed to think doing that was a good idea, and where the amount of work you did was only worth a negotiable 800 dollars.

For a working alltrac drive train and old saab shell I would half to assume this guy actually damaged the car to get it down to $800

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Someone posted this in another forum

I would drive the hell out of this

http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/cto/4873367721.html
Some of the photos could be :nws:

quote:

AMAZING SURVIVOR CUSTOM STAR TREK VAN
1978 GMC G15 Vandura Van.

I have reluctantly (we would like to shrink the family vehicle stable a bit as we now have two small boys and no time) decided to sell my 1978 GMC Vandura custom van.
The van was built up from stock in 1979-1980, paint was done by G.S. Roy, a well known Canadian artist. I contacted Mr. Roy, who remembers painting this van as well as another for the owners cousin (that one was 'mermaid' themed. . .wish I knew where it was!). The van is a survivor and sat for years in storage owned by the same family from new to 2012 (33 years). . .I purchased it in 2013 from Ontario and shipped it out to the west coast here in Vancouver where I have enjoyed every day of owning it. NOT a vehicle for the shy, you absolutely cannot go anywhere without many thumbs up, cheers, and people waxing nostalgic about custom vans and/or Star Trek. The van currently has a little over 25,000 KM's (15k miles) on it showing on the odometer. I can't verify for sure this isn't 125,000km's but looking over all aspects of the van I would not doubt if it is true. . .it isn't perfect, but is a true survivor of an era gone by and I wouldn't hesitate to drive it anywhere. I've replaced the tires with period correct BFG T/A's , installed a new heater core, brake master cylinder, tuned her up, installed a back up camera, and done all required to pass a BC (ridiculously strict and silly) provincial inspection. I've spent $3500 on the Van in the past year to make it mechanically excellent and drivable every day if someone wanted to.
I'll outline the good and bad below in each category to the best of my ability, and will take as many pics as I can to show the condition of items. Anything I missed or any questions just ask☺. I don't really need to sell the Van but as I mentioned could use the room and free time. . .you don't find something like this every day and I realize it takes a special (read as a little off. . .like me lol) person to own something like this. . .I do guarantee you will enjoy the smiles it brings to faces all around as you drive down the road and the vehicle (paint alone) could not be replicated for even close to what my price is here.

EXTERIOR --

GOOD - The exterior is completely covered in custom airbrushing, it is Star Trek themed in general with a LOT of small images of faces, creatures, etc that seemingly never cease to stop appearing. . .I found a new face last month. Overall the paint itself has held up well...thought the clear on the murals on the back has dried out and is flaking. The vehicle was treated new to the full 'Zeibart' rustproofing package and has ZERO rust. Honestly, the body is in amazingly clean shape. Zeibart plugged, filled, closed all areas that may have someday allowed water ingress. Has original custom windshield visor. Bumpers are in great shape and rust free/pitting free as is custom grill. Van has a 'split' sunroof that does work, though I siliconed it shut as it had a small leak on the drivers side when I wash it. Still has the original custom thrush sidepipes that sound awesome.

BAD - The clearcoat technology in 1980 wasn't as good as today and it has dried and is peeling in places. Most notably on the hood and rear doors. I thought about wet sanding with 2000 and respraying the clear but got scared to do it myself. There is a small dent behind the rear wheel on the drivers side which I took a few pics of and should appear in the set. I didn't know it was there when I bought it, it isn't really noticeable but I believe in full disclosure. The thrush pipes should be rechromed at some point. . .they were pitted and surface rusting in places. I touched them up with chrome paint but they aren't perfect.

INTERIOR --

GOOD -- Two words 'Red Velvet'. Diamond quilted red velvet to be exact. This covers the door panels, wall and ceiling panels, and visor area. The flooring is red carpeting with thick soft underpadding in rear. Original red dash and console are crack free and in excellent shape. Incredibly cool octagonal wood steering wheel. Period correct cassette player and equalizer with power antenna. All gauges work, wipers work (including intermittent), horn, all lights operational. Heater works great and is new. I installed a backup camera to help with parking. Front captain's seats are swivel and again covered in quilted red velvet, both have lap belts. Sliding door actually works. Currently I have a bench seat with quick release function installed behind the captain's chairs (for my kids; the original swivel 'buckets' did not have seatbelts). I do have the 'buckets' and they will be included as well as the mounting brackets. . .once again, more red velvet! There is also a pump sink, icebox, and bed in back with curtains. . .you guessed it. . .red velvet.

BAD -- Drivers door velvet has a small tear (see pic). A few of the upholstery 'button' covers are missing, I do have replacements which will be included. . .I just haven't had the time to install. The van was wired up for interior lighting above the rear seating area and in the bed area. The wiring is still there but the lights are not. I would want to trace all the wiring and re-set it up and install new lights. . .but again, I don't have the time.

MECHANICAL --

GOOD -- As mentioned in the description, I have done a lot of work to get this vehicle to meet our strict provincial inspection last year. As with most vehicles that are stored long-term, I had to refresh some items. The heater core was removed for some reason so I purchased and installed a new one. The brake master cylinder was replaced as well.

BAD --

As far as I know the van needs nothing mechanically done to it right now (according to my mechanic). It starts, runs, drives fine with no issues and is happy to cruise along at 120km/h (70mph) all day. I drive it up to Whistler regularly as well as over to our cabin in the gulf islands.

WHEELS/TIRES

GOOD -- I replaced the tires less than 1000kms (600 mls) ago with period correct BFG T/A's. Rears are 245/60/15, fronts are 225/70/15. Has original Cragar SS wheels.

BAD -- Cragar SS wheels are pitting/peeling and should be refinished.

Cheers and thanks for looking!

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Pham Nuwen posted:

The sad thing about classic car shows is that there are all these cool cars by dead companies like Packard, but almost all of them have a loving SBC crate engine in them. No, don't bother keeping that really cool flathead six, drop in a V8, a bunch of Edelbrock poo poo, and an auto transmission because you're an old man. And seats from a 2000-something Nissan or whatever, because you're an old man.

The ones that are kept all original are amazing, though.

My father's philosophy is "people need to see the way these cars the way they were at the time". His Model T's are stock, he's rebuilding a Packard right now, it's tough and takes real dedication, not just work. It's one of the leading reasons I still have the IH motor in my pickup, even though it would be so great with an LS motor.

I'm sure those swap jobs are fun to the owners though - just kind of boring as an observer to follow a well trodden path.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I tried searching "invested" on my local Craigslist /cta/ board and nothing came up that wasn't just pretty cool if overpriced. (Watch someone prove me wrong with something I overlooked) http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/cto/4831926223.html

At least we do SOMETHING right here.

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

I'm gonna fuck me a moon man!

PCOS Bill posted:

I tried searching "invested" on my local Craigslist /cta/ board and nothing came up that wasn't just pretty cool if overpriced. (Watch someone prove me wrong with something I overlooked) http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/cto/4831926223.html

At least we do SOMETHING right here.

You're referring to the recently amputated leg, right?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

delpheye posted:

You're referring to the recently amputated leg, right?

I too would rather amputate my leg instead of driving a beetle

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I would like an old beetle :shobon:

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

Sounds like diabeetles

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

1500quidporsche posted:

Are car shows even worth going to? I had always just assumed it was a bunch of OCD snobs sitting around endlessly polishing their side mirrors.

Yeah, but sometimes it's worth it anyway.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

slidebite posted:

I would like an old beetle :shobon:

I probably would want one if my childhood memories didn't include my dad screaming and whipping parts against the side of his garage while trying to fix his.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Holy poo poo, real gold.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nissan-Othe...=US_Cars_Trucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

1500quidporsche posted:

I mean, I agree that superbeetles are near worthless (though the convertibles / "karmann convertibles" have some novelty and impossible-to-find parts), but thems fightin' words.

slidebite posted:

Someone posted this in another forum

I would drive the hell out of this

http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/cto/4873367721.html
Some of the photos could be :nws:

Why does it need a sink :hawaaaafap: :cry:

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Feb 4, 2015