Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

E: Ford RS chat continued:

On the other hand, leaving that much power on the table means you can get a tune right after driving off the lot and gaining 100hp.

My best guess is that the trans can't reliably hold more power so it's detuned. Same reason why the WRX 5/6speed doesn't like a lot more power and why the STI gets the bulletproof 6speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Powershift posted:

It's February 3rd somewhere.

http://www.evo.co.uk/ford/focus-rs/15142/ford-focus-rs-2015-revealed

AWD, but only 250hp for some reason.

looks like the widebody render stuff was bullshit too.
'da gently caress?
How did they shrink the power from the 2.3EB to 250? Thats 2.0EB territory.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

The Locator posted:

What? The ST makes 252 stock on premium (and 270 torque).

Not the ST, the prior RS

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Bovril Delight posted:

Not the ST, the prior RS

I was quoting a post that said 250 is 20 more than the ST.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

If HP and KW are confused it'll be 335hp. Sounds more accurate.

Going to say 35k starting.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The Locator posted:

I was quoting a post that said 250 is 20 more than the ST.

I got confused!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

messing around with the image URLs, you can find more pics

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Still has brake operated torque vectoring.

2016 Mustang it is. I wish the V6 had premium trim and a performance package available. :/

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006
With the amount of rumor-based hype surrounding the RS, it was never going to impress the internet. I'm sure it'll be great though

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

RS isn't going to do anything for you that an ST won't, the FiST will still be more tossable and fun, and the Abarth will still be the coolest small car.

Honda still really needs to go back to their roots and build a proper lightweight sports car, with race car worthy suspension and chassis tuning and an engine without peer in the industry.

So I can buy one used for $20k in a few years.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Bovril Delight posted:

If HP and KW are confused it'll be 335hp. Sounds more accurate.

It's this.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

It must be hosed up on the conversion.
I don't see how they could slot the RS below even the WRX hp wise and think this would make sense.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'
How many of you are going to live post the disappointment at 3:45a PST?!

:haw:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

ilkhan posted:

Still has brake operated torque vectoring.

Seriously, whatever amount of power it ends up making, it is going to shred the brakes when driven hard.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
488 GTB

3.9l V8, twin-turbo

Power (hp): 670@8,000rpm
Torque (lb ft): 560@3,000rpm
0-62mph: 3.0sec
Top speed: 209mph
Weight: 1,370kg

:dance:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

That first 3/4 shot... daaaaaaaaaaaamn; the back end on that thing is loving future. I really like that. A lot. <3 (and this is coming from someone who hasn't liked a new Ferrari since the 90s)

I almost thought it had a motorized rear wing that popped up at speed but looking at the rear shot it's not the case. That would've been the poo poo.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Feb 3, 2015

Lt Moose
Aug 8, 2007
moose
"More than 320 HP", AWD, I like what I see.

https://twitter.com/FordEu/status/562602410716041216

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Lt Moose posted:

"More than 320 HP", AWD, I like what I see.

https://twitter.com/FordEu/status/562602410716041216

European version only; US version gets 250. :v:

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

The new RS looks like a home run to me. I wonder if they can keep pricing reasonable. I don't know about those Recaro's either. I drive too much for those to possibly be comfortable for any extended period of time.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Okay Ford, stab me in the heart with the price tag, I'm ready.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I'm weird in that a make or break for me these days, outside an exceptional deal, for my next car is cooled seats. The GT premium seats in the RS would be pretty nice.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

El Scotch posted:

I'm weird in that a make or break for me these days, outside an exceptional deal, for my next car is cooled seats. The GT premium seats in the RS would be pretty nice.

I don't think it's weird. We have them in our current cars and it would be tough (1st world problems) to give them up in the hot Texas heat. I know drat well my wife won't go back to non-cooled seats. The remote start and cooled seats is probably her most favorite feature of her car. I'm disgusted with how yuppy bullshit that sounds, but cold air blowing on your rear end in 105 degree weather does strange things to a man.

Related question, I noticed some manufacturers, like Ford have actual cooled seats, others have 'ventilated' seats where they just fan air through them. Does Ford own a specific patent or something related to the cooled seats? I was looking at BMW's and they only seem to offer ventilated seats.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Feb 3, 2015

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Only reason I won't spring for the recaros in my upcoming GT premium- losing the seat cooling.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Can't wait to test drive the RS.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

kris_b posted:

488 GTB

3.9l V8, twin-turbo

Power (hp): 670@8,000rpm
Torque (lb ft): 560@3,000rpm
0-62mph: 3.0sec
Top speed: 209mph
Weight: 1,370kg

:dance:

I love how the 456 had 3 exhaust tips to hark back to the F40 but was NA and here we have what looks to be the 456's hotter sister with two tips.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm taking it as a sign that I'm paying off the '11 WRX this month. Hopefully the RS isn't stupidly hard to get, I have no interest in playing dealership games.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002
So,the Focus RS is shaping up to cost about as much as the Golf R, and has about 20-25 more HP?

Doesn't this make most of you prefer the Golf R at this price point?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

tijag posted:

So,the Focus RS is shaping up to cost about as much as the Golf R, and has about 20-25 more HP?

Not at all.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

tijag posted:

No

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

tijag posted:

If pricing and options are similar I'd rather have the Golf R. Looks nicer to me with a better interior.

I imagine Ford will come in cheaper though.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Bovril Delight posted:

If pricing and options are similar I'd rather have the Golf R. Looks nicer to me with a better interior.

Im in the same boat.
I love the seats and basic set up in the new golf. Its one of the few cars Ive driven where everything just felt right.

Another thing that probably not an issue for most but huge to me is how well the radio/infotainment plays with my phone.
I pretty much do streaming music over bluetooth at all times.
I rented a fairly new Focus on a business trip and I hated how the system would need to be told to start playing again when I would exit the car and then re-enter.
In the new golf GTI I drove, it picks up right where I left off. If I was doing bluetooth when I exited or shut off the car, it comes back to that when it starts back up again. I could also fast forward/reverse on tracks from the steering wheel controls in the golf.

If they are close cost wise, the Focus RS will really need to be something special to sway me away from the Golf R.

Im also 35 years old and I like that the Golf R is subtle/tame looking exterior wise.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

Franco Caution posted:

Im also 35 years old and I like that the Golf R is subtle/tame looking exterior wise.

Yeah, this is me. I think the Golf looks a lot less 'boy racer' and the ST/RS just come across as a bit too young for me personally.

I'm sure I'll compare both of them when it comes down to it, but as of right now I'd rather have the slightly less powerful, but significantly nicer interior and understated design of the Golf R.

Although I do dislike the 4 exhaust pipes on the Golf R. Looks silly.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Franco Caution posted:

If they are close cost wise, the Focus RS will really need to be something special to sway me away from the Golf R.

Judging by what one of the guys at fifteen52 is saying it will

aforementioned guy posted:

Yup, I saw that. No doubt the 7 is leaps and bounds more tossable than previous Rs, but it's just not going to offer what the RS will. The RS oversteers under power.

And I'm not talking out of my rear end, either; a rather good friend and business partner of mine has driven both cars and he tells me the R just isn't close.

Also judging by the fact that the ST is still faster than the new GTI(minus PP), I'm guessing the RS will have similarly better performance than the R. I'm going to be 34 this year and I want the more punishing car oriented towards performance since it isn't going to be my DD. If I find the right 911 before they come out it won't matter, but a nicer interior and more enjoyable ride don't do poo poo for me.

e: and it's not like this interior looks like poo poo either

fknlo fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Feb 3, 2015

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

fknlo posted:

The RS oversteers under power.
Then why the gently caress didn't they show it doing that on the teaser video, rather than tripoding into corners like an oversize FWD hot hatch?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

InitialDave posted:

Then why the gently caress didn't they show it doing that on the teaser video, rather than tripoding into corners like an oversize FWD hot hatch?

It apparently even has a "drift" setting. Neat stuff.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Franco Caution posted:

Im in the same boat.
I love the seats and basic set up in the new golf. Its one of the few cars Ive driven where everything just felt right.

Another thing that probably not an issue for most but huge to me is how well the radio/infotainment plays with my phone.
I pretty much do streaming music over bluetooth at all times.
I rented a fairly new Focus on a business trip and I hated how the system would need to be told to start playing again when I would exit the car and then re-enter.
In the new golf GTI I drove, it picks up right where I left off. If I was doing bluetooth when I exited or shut off the car, it comes back to that when it starts back up again. I could also fast forward/reverse on tracks from the steering wheel controls in the golf.

Something was messed up if it wasn't auto starting. Or it's an iPhone issue, because my androids all auto start/stop when I get in or out of my escape.

All that said...I would spend the money on the RS in a heartbeat over the Golf.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

iwentdoodie posted:

All that said...I would spend the money on the RS in a heartbeat over the Golf.

Ditto. I have zero interest in any VW product.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

iwentdoodie posted:

Something was messed up if it wasn't auto starting. Or it's an iPhone issue, because my androids all auto start/stop when I get in or out of my escape.

Galaxy S5.

Its become this thing I do now each time I rent a car so I can see who does it right and who does it wrong.

The list of wrongs so far have been that Ford Focus I mentioned and a recently rented Chevy Cruze RS. The Cruze for some reason would also take forever to actually connect via bluetooth.
I wish I had more time with the C7 I test drove when they first showed up. Id loved to see if that had a similar issue.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Ford changed things at some point because people were complaining that sync would start playing music from their phones as soon as they got into their car. I want to say it was 2013.

My F150 w/ sync has the newer version that has to be told to use BT for input every drat time I get in it. It's beyond irritating and they really should have an option to make BT the default input.

I have an iPhone 6 and a Note4, and it's the same situation with either one. There's plenty of people bitching about it in Ford product forums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

fknlo posted:

Judging by what one of the guys at fifteen52 is saying it will

Also judging by the fact that the ST is still faster than the new GTI(minus PP), I'm guessing the RS will have similarly better performance than the R. I'm going to be 34 this year and I want the more punishing car oriented towards performance since it isn't going to be my DD.

I think those interiors are 'fine' but the Golf R interior is just a lot nicer to me. Also, this would be my DD and so at the limit performance and full on 'fastest' isn't as important to me as 'fun, nice, comfortable, practical'.

The Golf R looks to be a better fit for me because of that. Also, the Golf GTI is 210 HP and the Golf R is 295 HP.

So it gains 85 HP, the RS is gaining around 65-70 hp? i wouldn't be surprised if the RS is faster, but I don't the the Golf R is going to get stomped. They'll be of a similar class.