Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
:frogout:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Jastiger posted:

Also, I am not sure if I brought it up here, but I'm going to go ahead and assume anyone driving a Chevy Colorado is a complete rear end in a top hat based on the commercials they were pitching.
Oh poo poo look at this human being and his fuel efficient vehicle. Better get the HUGE TRUCK YEAHH BACK IN BLACK.

Trust me, they are all like this. Everyone I know who owns a truck has completely bought into the marketing. They drive trucks because they're tough! They post pictures of their dream trucks on Facebook with a "gently caress YEAH HUGE TOUGH rear end TRUCK!" And they're so brand obsessed that they also post about [competitors] "weak pathetic little toy truck". This goes for men and women alike.

It's doubly bad where I live because pick-up trucks are pretty much a cultural identity thing too. We're supposed to love Alberta Beef, wear Wranglers, and drive half-tons.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Barudak posted:

tl;dr Millennials product desires did not align with previously established brands old brands did not realize this until Millennials were long gone at brands that came into existence to cater these desires.
Yet another thing Millennials have actually accomplished where Gen Xers just loving talked about it. No wonder so many Xers are lovely with them.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Picnic Princess posted:

It's doubly bad where I live because pick-up trucks are pretty much a cultural identity thing too. We're supposed to love Alberta Beef, wear Wranglers, and drive half-tons.
Everyone I talk to in the US is always so surprised when I tell them that yes, Canada has an Alabama too.

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Everyone I talk to in the US is always so surprised when I tell them that yes, Canada has an Alabama too.

Y'all have a Florida, too, which a lot of people don't know.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

There were so many eyeroller heart-string tugging commercials.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Picnic Princess posted:

Trust me, they are all like this. Everyone I know who owns a truck has completely bought into the marketing. They drive trucks because they're tough! They post pictures of their dream trucks on Facebook with a "gently caress YEAH HUGE TOUGH rear end TRUCK!" And they're so brand obsessed that they also post about [competitors] "weak pathetic little toy truck". This goes for men and women alike.

I drive a truck because I'm 6'10" and don't fit in most vehicles comfortably because of it, and it was either a truck or one of those full sized vans and I'm no creepo so redneck it was.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Haruharuharuko posted:

I drive a truck because I'm 6'10" and don't fit in most vehicles comfortably because of it, and it was either a truck or one of those full sized vans and I'm no creepo so redneck it was.

Buying a truck of any brand doesn't make you a redneck, besides perhaps the perception of the brand in the public. No one that talks to you for five minutes is probably going to maintain that perception of you. Me, I'm a big guy, but I'm well closer to the standard deviation than you. They want to sell me on something more important, because I can fit in most cars anyway. I'll probably never buy a truck because of the perception their marketing breeds, because I have plenty of other options.

Marketing on automobiles is really good. They don't need half of the form factors that exist, logistically. Since most of us could just buy anything and be ok, they have to sell us on something else. You've got to buy trucks, basically, so why would they spend money catering to you?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Haruharuharuko posted:

I don't understand. Why not just be driven everywhere in a limo because you are rich from playing in the NBA

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

kazil posted:

I don't understand. Why not just be driven everywhere in a limo because you are rich from playing in the NBA

Forgot to mention I'm lazy... and a goon. Also having been in a limo for a wedding within the last year they are harder to get into than you'd think unless it was one of those crazy suv ones.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Barudak posted:

tl;dr Millennials product desires did not align with previously established brands old brands did not realize this until Millennials were long gone at brands that came into existence to cater these desires.

If there's one thing I've learned about marketing to millennials its that they also instantly knew when they're being pandered to and despise it. These soups look like they were developed by a bunch of 50 year old marketing execs who learned everything they knew about millenials based on a series of powerpoint presentations from other 50 year old execs.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Wait, is that soup in an almost-bag? Or 'make-your-own' soup in an almost-bag?

Cause if it's the former, nobody wants soup in anything but a hard container or a bread bowl.

If it's the latter, why the gently caress would anyone want supermarket soup, hard mode?

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Cause if it's the former, nobody wants soup in anything but a hard container or a bread bowl.

If it's the latter, why the gently caress would anyone want supermarket soup, hard mode?

It's the former. Honestly they weren't bad soups, but they were not worth the price and the marketing was so terrible.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Well what you do is, you pour the soup from the bag (it's not an "almost bag") into a bowl. It's not too difficult.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Wandle Cax posted:

Well what you do is, you pour the soup from the bag (it's not an "almost bag") into a bowl. It's not too difficult.

It does have an unfortunate resemblance to a lot of cat food containers, though.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
the flavours look pretty good, and the sachets are fine, but the stupid faces are stupid, and it's almost certainly overpriced.

StdNormDist
May 2, 2010
My wife and I tried a couple of those despite the packaging, and while they're different than traditional canned soup flavors, you can't escape the fact that it's canned soup. It still tastes kind of greasy and processed and the fact that they're trying for these really complex flavors only really highlights that.

pentyne really nailed it on the head, though. My pet theory is that since advertising to kids was deregulated in the 80s and the amount of media aimed towards kids has exploded since then, millennials are already really savvy about marketing by the time they're adults.

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

pentyne posted:

If there's one thing I've learned about marketing to millennials its that they also instantly knew when they're being pandered to and despise it. These soups look like they were developed by a bunch of 50 year old marketing execs who learned everything they knew about millenials based on a series of powerpoint presentations from other 50 year old execs.

I'm a millenial, roughly the same age as the people in those pictures making stupid faces. I remember being 8 and seeing advertisements featuring other 8 year olds making stupid faces like that on advertisements aimed at my demographic. Nice to know I've grown up with advertisers who thought I was an idiot when I was 8, and still apparently think I'm an idiot. Why would anybody think that marketing food to grown adults by using pictures of grown adults making stupid faces on the container is a good idea?

E: apparently only whites eat expensive bagged soup.

Backweb has a new favorite as of 15:29 on Feb 3, 2015

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
If you're hungry for more talk about Millennials, grab a book called Millennials Rising. Strauss and Howe have been doing generational studies for decades, and in this, their first book about the Millennial generation, they outline all the things that went into making the current generation what is, and how it's different from the ones that preceded it. They published it back in 2000, so there were certain...events they couldn't foresee that would end up majorly changing American culture, but it's amazing how spot-on they were with their predictions nonetheless, especially them hitting the nail on the head that Millennials won't want to be pandered to by old white dudes in corporate management.

GOTTA STAY FAI has a new favorite as of 15:52 on Feb 3, 2015

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Picnic Princess posted:

I love driving through the snow and seeing all the macho oversized trucks daintily skirting around slush puddles. :allears:

Backweb posted:

E: apparently only whites eat expensive bagged soup.

Probably accurate.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx

Fatkraken posted:

the flavours look pretty good, and the sachets are fine, but the stupid faces are stupid, and it's almost certainly overpriced.

When I went back to school, we had a special class on the generation gap in an effort to teach the older folks management strategies for the millenials that would be entering the industry. We had to split into age groups and I ended up being the oldest in the small group of millenials. I probably didn't belong. Anyway, we had some dumb activity we had to do, which included reading articles about how difficult and self centered we are. Clearly no one cared to teach anyone how to deal with olds but oh well.

One video we watched was filmed in some tech company and showed millenials making GBS threads themselves over congratulatory certificates. An article we read talked about selfies and poo poo like that. My guess is the soup faces thing goes beyond simply suggesting that disembodied heads like the product so you will too. I feel like some execs thought these drat kids like to look at themselves so much, so put their goddamn faces on the bag.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

jidohanbaiki posted:

I feel like some execs thought these drat kids like to look at themselves so much, so put their goddamn faces on the bag.

Sometimes jumping on the selfie bandwagon actually works. The 'selfie toaster' is getting some good press atm:

EAT YOUR FAAAAACE

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Sometimes jumping on the selfie bandwagon actually works. The 'selfie toaster' is getting some good press atm:

EAT YOUR FAAAAACE

here's a dumb move in marketing: not getting a new website

http://www.burntimpressions.com/

I'm in 1999!

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

jidohanbaiki posted:

I feel like some execs thought these drat kids like to look at themselves so much, so put their goddamn faces on the bag.

If that really were the case, I wouldn't blame them--Google says 93 million selfies are taken per day on Android devices. No idea how many are taken on iPhones, but their market share is about the same as Android, so between them, that's a lot of loving selfies.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Fatkraken posted:

here's a dumb move in marketing: not getting a new website

http://www.burntimpressions.com/

I'm in 1999!

$70 for goatbread? I'm down. :goatsecx:

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I do event production stuff and for the past few years almost all of my gigs have been marketing events where in huge companies try to sell poo poo to millennials. Not knowing much about advertizing and not being a millennial, nothing that goes on at theses things make sense to me at all. I will say that the "how do we sell poo poo to millennials?!?!" freakout has been amazing for my bank account as companies are just shoveling piles of money into this stuff.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

If that really were the case, I wouldn't blame them--Google says 93 million selfies are taken per day on Android devices. No idea how many are taken on iPhones, but their market share is about the same as Android, so between them, that's a lot of loving selfies.

My guess this is 93 million pictures with peoples faces in them, not necessarily selfies. I doubt Google can determine the difference between me taking a picture of myself, and me taking a picture of my friend.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Len posted:

That was the first place my mind went as well. I may have to get my girlfriend a goatbread maker for her birthday, she'd love it.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
The whole "generation gap" handwringing is rubbish. Everyone 10-15 years printed media raises red alert that kids these days are selfish, fickle, and crappy and nobody has any idea how to encourage them to get a job or not spit in the house.

Part of the curriculum of a class I was in asked whether "millennial" employees are harder to manage.
22 year olds fresh out of school are idiots, and they have been idiots since the beginning of time. It maybe takes them 10 years to straighten up and fit into the mainstream, because then there are younger, dumber kids coming into the company and complaining about the "new generation" can start.

You read the articles about traits of millenials, and it reads like a horoscope where the reader can read anything they want out of it. I once read an article that described a group as "fickle and brand disloyal" while simultaneously talking about how they are all universally obsessed with Apple and Starbucks. :downs:

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

canyoneer posted:

The whole "generation gap" handwringing is rubbish. Everyone 10-15 years printed media raises red alert that kids these days are selfish, fickle, and crappy and nobody has any idea how to encourage them to get a job or not spit in the house.

Part of the curriculum of a class I was in asked whether "millennial" employees are harder to manage.
22 year olds fresh out of school are idiots, and they have been idiots since the beginning of time. It maybe takes them 10 years to straighten up and fit into the mainstream, because then there are younger, dumber kids coming into the company and complaining about the "new generation" can start.

You read the articles about traits of millenials, and it reads like a horoscope where the reader can read anything they want out of it. I once read an article that described a group as "fickle and brand disloyal" while simultaneously talking about how they are all universally obsessed with Apple and Starbucks. :downs:

This is 100% true. However, it's also 100% true what that one guy said about how the deregulation of child-focused advertising in the 80's has made us a generation of consumers who are ridiculously savvy about being marketed to. We saw almost literally every trick in the book before we hit puberty. I'm 30 years old, which means I'm one of the oldest millenials (there are like 3ish years before me that still count) and I still recognize all sorts of tricks that used to get me excited as a kid for a new toy/show/food that people are trying to use on us today.

It's infuriating in a weird way that I can't explain, because logically they're just trying to tell me about a new product. I think someone upthread said something about how the same advertisers that thought you were an idiot as a kid still think you're an idiot, and I couldn't agree more. I think that's a strong factor, but I also think that, back in the 80's/90's, stuff that was advertised to adults was done in a different tone and with a different type of messaging, so it feels like I'm being talked down to when someone has XXXTREME DORITOS LOCOS TACOS or whatever else. Add that to the fact that the older generation didn't quite catch on to the shifts in taste and attitude toward brand loyalty, and it's created an incredibly interesting mess of Boomers and Gen Xers freaking the gently caress out because they have no idea how to shill their products anymore, and they did stupid poo poo like gut social security and medicare to try and make a buck so they're absolutely ruined if they can't figure it out.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Len posted:

The best part about that is that the templates inside the Selfie Toasters are individually crafted by some guy who creates the designs via Photoshop and then lasercuts the designs into metal plates so that minimum wage slave will be goatsied as part of his toaster manufacturing job.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

canyoneer posted:

You're missing the point. The "millenial" generation has grown up in an era of unprecedented technological advances and the tried and true methods of marketing for the past 60 years are now completely useless. The people in charge, management and execs, are so far removed from the culture that they best they can do is just hopelessly mimic whatever "hip, young thing" is currently a media buzzword.

It's fairly true across the board, established industries like media and entertainment are rapidly falling behind the expectations of their target markets and clinging to decade old models to predict buying patterns and target marketing campaigns.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Captain Monkey posted:

back in the 80's/90's, stuff that was advertised to adults was done in a different tone and with a different type of messaging, so it feels like I'm being talked down to when someone has XXXTREME DORITOS LOCOS TACOS or whatever else.

I remember being so irritated as a teenager seeing all of the X-treme Chocolate Milks. I also think that Yoplait's Go-Gurt should have been marketed towards adults on the go, driving to work or whatever, rather than at kids riding skateboards doing sicknasty kickflip mctwists.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

pentyne posted:

You're missing the point. The "millenial" generation has grown up in an era of unprecedented technological advances and the tried and true methods of marketing for the past 60 years are now completely useless.

Every generation has grown up in an era of unprecedented technological advances for a few hundred years now.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVj389dsd6o

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Literally everything everyone is saying, good and bad, about millennials is exactly the same poo poo that everyone said about gen x'ers in the 90s.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Meltathon posted:

My guess this is 93 million pictures with peoples faces in them, not necessarily selfies. I doubt Google can determine the difference between me taking a picture of myself, and me taking a picture of my friend.

They can tell which camera on the phone was used to take the pic, and front-facing camera shots are almost always selfies.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

TetsuoTW posted:

Literally everything everyone is saying, good and bad, about millennials is exactly the same poo poo that everyone said about gen x'ers in the 90s.

I don't think they're a different kind of person, but the idea of this generation being particularly media savvy and thus harder to "trick" is probably at least somewhat true.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Fatkraken posted:

I don't think they're a different kind of person, but the idea of this generation being particularly media savvy and thus harder to "trick" is probably at least somewhat true.
It was true of every other generation too, just with different media. No generation falls for the same poo poo their parents did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

TetsuoTW posted:

It was true of every other generation too, just with different media.

TetsuoTW posted:

These are both true. However, this time they seem to be right, especially with marketing data supporting the idea that Millennials are making good on the promise that the Boomers first made about the Gen Xers. The Gen Xers sort of quietly slid into place beneath the Boomers and tried to emulate them. Millenials have yet to start doing so, and we're getting old enough to where we should be starting that process. We're also not buying into the idealized 1950's fantasy that a lot of Gen Xers at first rebelled against, and then quickly tried to get for themselves -- at least not the same way.