Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

No official MSRP, just my guess. It's gonna be going against STIs and Golf R's, both MSRP in the mid-30s base but are $40k with options. I imagine the RS will be in the same boat.

Speaking of pricey hot hatches, has there been anything out of Mazda about a new Speed3? I haven't heard a peep since the new design launched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stolennosferatu
Jun 22, 2012

Cygni posted:

No official MSRP, just my guess. It's gonna be going against STIs and Golf R's, both MSRP in the mid-30s base but are $40k with options. I imagine the RS will be in the same boat.

Speaking of pricey hot hatches, has there been anything out of Mazda about a new Speed3? I haven't heard a peep since the new design launched.

I haven't heard any rumors here in the office.

Hit an Apex
Dec 2, 2004

Real Racing. Real Sport.
The MSF forums are pretty convinced there is a MY 2016/17 Speed3 coming, based on a few rumor mill articles.

I'll believe when I see it. There was next to no marketing of the 2012 and 2013 MS3 models, and with the move to the new SkyActive engines and the new Miata it seems very out of place. I hope I'm wrong because I want to believe the rumors about a 300+hp AWD model.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Hit an Apex posted:

The MSF forums are pretty convinced there is a MY 2016/17 Speed3 coming, based on a few rumor mill articles.

I'll believe when I see it. There was next to no marketing of the 2012 and 2013 MS3 models, and with the move to the new SkyActive engines and the new Miata it seems very out of place. I hope I'm wrong because I want to believe the rumors about a 300+hp AWD model.

Some of the other forums were swearing it was going to be a turbo diesel. And yet others claim a RWD coupe variant of the 6 is on the way as well. I'm content to wait it out and see after the RS reveal. Yes it's an amazing car but the styling is just doing nothing for me. I vastly prefer the last gen MS3, probably the best looking "boy racer" hot hatch ever.

Oh, and I rolled a milestone this week.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Yeah forum rumors are stupid. I am looking forward to the new 3(23) GT-R, however.

The only thing I don't like about the latest 3 (and this is probably somewhat true for the second gen) is they eliminated a lot of space in the hatch by having it so curvy. I use my first-gen as a doggy hauler with the Travall pet barrier but there's no room for that in the latest gen. :(

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Oh, and I rolled a milestone this week.

This was a few days ago. :kiddo:

Don't worry — my passenger took the picture.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Did you get 200 miles off half a tank? I'd get like 225-250 off the whole tank.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

To be fair I have owned like 12 other cars in the four years I've owned the MS6 and I barely drove it at all last year.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Bovril Delight posted:

That was a fill-up with a trip reset that morning, yeah. But all of those miles were highway so it was best case scenario with my car. I was almost home from visiting family that day which was about 210 miles round trip. My city mileage is certainly worse, which is sadly most of the miles on my car these days.

Still though, not bad for an aging car. Every time I get the itch to trade it in I think about how nice it is to have a car that's paid off, relatively inexpensive to insure, and relatively inexpensive to drive (gas, service, etc.). At this point I might as well drive it into the ground. Now if only it had Bluetooth or at least an easily replaceable head unit...

Edit: oh you have a MS3. Mine's just the normal 2.3L :shobon:

trem
Sep 17, 2009
My '08 3 hatchback is in the shop because I let my stupid little brother drive it and he managed to destroy the bumper and driver's side headlight.

But yeah, whenever I think about replacing it I realize how much I like having no car payment and how solid it's been for the last 7 years.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

In a world of Mazda3's it continually baffles me that anyone still picks the Corolla and civic. I can kind of side with the civic, but I'm sure given those three options I'd take a 3 every time.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Edit: oh you have a MS3. Mine's just the normal 2.3L :shobon:

He has a MS6, the MS3 has the same gauges as the MZ3, but with a 160mph speedo and a Mazdaspeed logo in the tach

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

opengl128 posted:

He has a MS6, the MS3 has the same gauges as the MZ3, but with a 160mph speedo and a Mazdaspeed logo in the tach

If my 6 ever explodes I'll probably replace with an MS3.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

All rev counters should start at 6 o'clock, though they should go counter-clockwise

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

opengl128 posted:

Oh. I only looked at his post history in the thread and saw discussion of a MS3 but that was 5 years ago. Thanks for the clarification.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Bovril Delight posted:

That sounds pretty bad - I get at least 500km in mine and where I live isn't exactly conducive to fuel economy.

BTW do I win lowest mileage first gen?

(also marvel at my 280km/h speedo)

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

dissss posted:

That sounds pretty bad - I get at least 500km in mine and where I live isn't exactly conducive to fuel economy.

BTW do I win lowest mileage first gen?

(also marvel at my 280km/h speedo)

I don't have a picture but I just rolled over 51000 :smuggo:

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Google Butt posted:

I don't have a picture but I just rolled over 51000 :smuggo:

Are you counting in miles or kilometres?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Anyone know if the catback is the same between a first-gen 6i and 6s? The almuinized steel catback we had installed in mid-2012 on my wife's '03 6i rotted out this past fall. There's a couple of non-fart can stainless catbacks on eBay for ~$250 but they're listed for a 6s.

The car is worth maybe $3k and we aren't planning on keeping it long term so that's about as much as I'm interested in putting into an exhaust system before we sell it.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Can anyone here who owns a 2nd gen MS3 talk to me about the panel inserts? They look...pink in pictures, it seems like a red fabric under a black fabric weave? It seems cheesy in pics but maybe in person its rad?

I have yet to get in a MS3, but its on my short list of cars that I will be looking at in spring. Seems to be a lot of second gens with under 50k miles for decent prices in my area. Any particular things I should look for when buying a lightly used one? Besides the obvious signs of abuse that sporty cars get.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

PaintVagrant posted:

Can anyone here who owns a 2nd gen MS3 talk to me about the panel inserts? They look...pink in pictures, it seems like a red fabric under a black fabric weave? It seems cheesy in pics but maybe in person its rad?

I have yet to get in a MS3, but its on my short list of cars that I will be looking at in spring. Seems to be a lot of second gens with under 50k miles for decent prices in my area. Any particular things I should look for when buying a lightly used one? Besides the obvious signs of abuse that sporty cars get.

It's a red looking gradient thing and looks tacky as gently caress.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Bovril Delight posted:

It's a red looking gradient thing and looks tacky as gently caress.

Yep it still looks weird in person.

Actually the interior is one of the reasons I chose a first gen over a second gen - it may be as plasticky as hell but I much prefer the design over the second gen (which admittedly does have a bit nicer materials)

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

dissss posted:

Yep it still looks weird in person.

Actually the interior is one of the reasons I chose a first gen over a second gen - it may be as plasticky as hell but I much prefer the design over the second gen (which admittedly does have a bit nicer materials)

The alcantara seats are boss.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Bovril Delight posted:

The alcantara seats are boss.

That's on the facelift first gen right? Mine is too early so I missed out on them.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

dissss posted:

That's on the facelift first gen right? Mine is too early so I missed out on them.

Yep, 2008.5 GT and my seats are one of my favorite parts of the car.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I wonder if I can swap them into my 2006. They have airbags, right?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Are there any bad or not so great years of Mazda 3 that should be avoided? I'd really like a new '15 model hatchback but I think I should stick to something under 10k, so roughly in the 2007-2010 range.

Are the automatics good or poo poo? My wife will be the primary driver and I'll take over driving the TDI Jetta sportwagen, but she's ok with a manual or automatic.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

BraveUlysses posted:

Are there any bad or not so great years of Mazda 3 that should be avoided? I'd really like a new '15 model hatchback but I think I should stick to something under 10k, so roughly in the 2007-2010 range.

Are the automatics good or poo poo? My wife will be the primary driver and I'll take over driving the TDI Jetta sportwagen, but she's ok with a manual or automatic.

The autos are OK but outdated, the manuals in them are great.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

BraveUlysses posted:

The older, pre-Skyactiv engines don't get great mileage. Thats probably the biggest knock against the pre-'12s.

There are some nebulous complaints about rust on first gens, but it may be horseshit. Also all years of 3 eat the inside shoulders of tires really fast, so be sure to check them.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Nah Mazda is pretty bad at rust prevention. Mine's never been exposed to any salt and is fine, but anybody here who lives in a salt state can tell you about it.

Also I just found this when researching the California Automotive Repair Board website:
"Additionally, if you have purchased a vehicle that is certified by ARB as a partial zero emission vehicle (PZEV), any problem detected by the OBD II system is covered under warranty as long as the vehicle is less than 15 years old and has less than 150,000 miles. A list of vehicles that are certified as PZEVs can be found at ARB's Drive Clean website (select vehicles with a Smog Score of 9 to show PZEVs). "

I didn't realize it's 15 years / 150,000 miles. That's crazy. I have a 2006 PZEV.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?

Cygni posted:

The older, pre-Skyactiv engines don't get great mileage. Thats probably the biggest knock against the pre-'12s.

There are some nebulous complaints about rust on first gens, but it may be horseshit. Also all years of 3 eat the inside shoulders of tires really fast, so be sure to check them.

Verifying this on both counts big time. 26-28 mpg avg and around 35k on original tires (2011).

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

PaintVagrant posted:

If it's noon on a cloudless summer day in direct sunlight then the red will be more noticeable, but in most conditions it doesn't stand out as much as you might think.

Stolennosferatu
Jun 22, 2012
Yo guys, I'm leaving Mazda soon. Anyone going to buy a car sometime this month and want a discount? Last chance!

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Looking at a used (46k) 2012 MS3. However, it looks like it has some mods:

I am not familiar enough with the aftermarket on these cars to know what that red intercooler frame thing is. I recognize the corksport name but dont know what the gently caress that box is either. I know these cars are very frequently modded with a handful of bolt on parts, does this engine bay look like quality poo poo or something I should run screaming from?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
That "box" is just the battery.

From first glance there's an aftermarket TMIC and turbo inlet pipe visible in that picture, neither of which would send me running in the opposite direction. Beyond that someone more knowledgeable about MS3 mods will have to chime in.

The Rev
Jun 24, 2008

Stolennosferatu posted:

Yo guys, I'm leaving Mazda soon. Anyone going to buy a car sometime this month and want a discount? Last chance!

I shot you an email. Thanks for all the help thus far.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Geoj posted:

That "box" is just the battery.

:lol: I feel pretty dumb about that, but thanks for the info!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Does the battery not get a special hood duct on the second-gen MS3?

I think the run/don't run would depend at least somewhat on whether or not it has had the high pressure fuel pump upgraded. Without that, any mods are increasing the danger of a lean condition.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

Does the battery not get a special hood duct on the second-gen MS3?

I think the run/don't run would depend at least somewhat on whether or not it has had the high pressure fuel pump upgraded. Without that, any mods are increasing the danger of a lean condition.

Any quick way to see this? Not sure where the fuel pump is located on this car.

e: poo poo, looks like people upgrade the internals.

PaintVagrant fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Feb 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

IOwnCalculus posted:

I thought you were OK until you really start messing with the turbo output - less restrictive downpipe/exhaust or increasing boost (or a bigger turbo)?