Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Beef Waifu posted:

That Nier track is not even in my top 10 Nier tracks, but it's still really good. I am excited for more tracks though and will buy this one because Nier music is godlike. Also it's about time Vamo all Flamenco got added.

Let's be honest, I'd buy nothing but Nier songs.

Toxxupation posted:

Where the fucks my NieR 2, SE

It's called Drakengard 3. It sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

When are they gonna add the XIII-2 boss theme

The Crazy Chocobo people need more royalties

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
As would I. Add some Drakengard 3 music too please SE, that game is terrible but the soundtrack is good.

Help Im Alive posted:

When are they gonna add the XIII-2 boss theme

The Crazy Chocobo people need more royalties

Agreed, please give the DMC3 guys more money.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

ImpAtom posted:

It's called Drakengard 3. It sucks.

THAT'S NOT NIER 2 AND YOU KNOW IT :qq: :qq: :qq:

*runs out sobbing*

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Toxxupation posted:

I'm replaying it right now; Tidus is told he's a dream of a dead civilization but it's at zero point explained that he never actually time travelled, none.

I don't know how they could have made it more obvious than explaining that he is the dream of a civilisation that died 1000 years ago, the fayth have been constantly dreaming his existence since then, and one of Auron's flashbacks is literally about him going to find Dream-Zanarkand to bring Tidus to Spira.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
Still need to find that locker SE stuffed Taro Yoko in, in whatever dump they dropped him at.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Toxxupation posted:

I think the thing this thread needs to realize is that just because you played it when you were 12 does not inherently make ffx a better game than ffxiii, and any argument to deride the latter when praising the former can easily be applied to ffx itself

I played both as an adult. I think a lot of people here have played a lot of FF games as an adult. The sickness is inside of us.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

InfinityComplex posted:

Still need to find that locker SE stuffed Taro Yoko in, in whatever dump they dropped him at.

No, leave him there. He doesn't get the right to a pass on bad games with silly poo poo like Swery.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Dragonatrix posted:

That's not why you grind in the postgame, bro. You do it for Platinum Ingots to sell for money because ahahaha good loving luck getting enough to upgrade enough to be able to use those free infinite Traps otherwise.

Yeah I understand and that is why it is a great thing that the ultimate weapons in XIII are completely unnecessary. Even much more so than most FF games. It's for people that are done with the game but don't want to stop playing yet. I could never grind platinum ingots for long. I have to keep changing what I am doing or else I get bored way too quickly and just give up. That or I give up anyways. Even so, a lot of people still think they need 6 traps to do it which is not the case.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Toxxupation posted:

Where the fucks my NieR 2, SE

Yoichi Wada was Taro Yoko and his team's patron. He funded and published their original IPs and continued to do so when some of Cavia's staff went to work with Access Games on Drakengard 3. With Wada sidelined and SE belt-tightening, this means very little money for pet projects, especially those that don't have a chance of making money in today's market.

InfinityComplex posted:

He became a freelancer after Cavia was folded into Marvelous AQL. He currently isn't working on any projects. It doesn't seem for a lack of trying.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Kurtofan posted:

New Theatrythm Songs, Nier!!!!!

BMS Final Fantasy IX — “Vamo’ alla Flamenco”
BMS Sword of Mana 2 / Seiken Densetsu 3 — “Swivel”
BMS SaGa Frontier 2 — “Miβgestalt”
BMS Chrono Trigger — “Frog’s Theme”
FMS Legend of Mana — “Ruined Sparkling City”
FMS NieR Gestalt/RepliCant — “Kainé/Salvation”

http://www.finalfantasy.net/ix/curtain-call-dlc-live-japan/

This loving game keeps being the thing that makes me want to get a 3DS. I love Chrono Trigger, I love the soundtrack, and I reaaallly loving love Frog's Theme.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Toxxupation posted:

I'm replaying it right now; Tidus is told he's a dream of a dead civilization but it's at zero point explained that he never actually time travelled, none.

this is really my fundamental point. FF games are all different flavors of the same bullshit and it's really quite dumb that people try to rank them as "good" or "bad" story-wise or gin up arguments that essentially try to ignore the fact that they're glossing up "i like this game but don't like that game".

It's ok to not like one story and not another for reasons. The biggest thing I agree with ImpAtom about is that execution and minor details matter for people no matter how superficial they might be. I'm sorry your favorite Final Fantasy is, like all the others, the worst one.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Feb 3, 2015

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

precision posted:

The part where FFX reveals that your rear end in a top hat dad was actually not an rear end in a top hat at all but the coolest savior of humanity that always believed in you and loved you is the dumbest part in any Final Fantasy ever.

This is untrue because FFVIII's plot is a thing that exists.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Bregor posted:

I question this greatly

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Bregor posted:

Fair point

ed: I like this avatar, good job whoever bought it for me

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
So serious question, what random SE game's music is going to pop up next now that Nier showed up like it ain't no thing.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Kurtofan posted:

BMS Final Fantasy IX — “Vamo’ alla Flamenco”
BMS Sword of Mana 2 / Seiken Densetsu 3 — “Swivel”
BMS SaGa Frontier 2 — “Miβgestalt”
BMS Chrono Trigger — “Frog’s Theme”
FMS Legend of Mana — “Ruined Sparkling City”
FMS NieR Gestalt/RepliCant — “Kainé/Salvation”

http://www.finalfantasy.net/ix/curtain-call-dlc-live-japan/

Lots of (deserved) loved for a NieR song, but I'm just happy there's some Legend of Mana representation, and one of its strongest songs too, no less.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Veib posted:

This loving game keeps being the thing that makes me want to get a 3DS. I love Chrono Trigger, I love the soundtrack, and I reaaallly loving love Frog's Theme.

3DS has quite a bit of good games and if you like these soundtracks, CC is definitely a very good reason to get one.

And I've said it before and I'll say it again, Vagrant Story DLC or bust. :colbert: At least Ifrit's theme, it's still one of my favorite boss themes around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqpdsieTL_s

So good :allears:

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Feb 3, 2015

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

The GIG posted:

So serious question, what random SE game's music is going to pop up next now that Nier showed up like it ain't no thing.

I think any of the Drakengard games are obvious contenders. Probably some Parasite Eve stuff.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

The GIG posted:

Kingdom Hearts, obv

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Beef Waifu posted:

I think any of the Drakengard games are obvious contenders. Probably some Parasite Eve stuff.

The obvious choice is one of the final battle songs. Everything else I can think of is just dissonant noise.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
OK what

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Toxxupation posted:

Again, that could describe a full half to 3/4 of FFs

Eh, this is generally dishonest. The FF games have a storied history of development problems since 7 but 7, 10, and 12 were still only 3 year projects, a year outside the AAA gold standard of 2 years. 13 went through more, though as has been pointed out, we only know the details because developers have talked some about it.

Honestly though, the grandaddy of them all is 14 1.0, which was a technical nightmare. The network topography alone was vaguely organized insanity.

knockout
Apr 27, 2014

my reputation's never been worse, so

Toxxupation posted:

I think the thing this thread needs to realize is that just because you played it when you were 12 does not inherently make ffx a better game than ffxiii, and any argument to deride the latter when praising the former can easily be applied to ffx itself

well i think ffvii was the best :colbert:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The GIG posted:

Is Xenogears on there yet? I've never actually played Theatrym and know only the general basics about it.

precision posted:

The part where FFX reveals that your rear end in a top hat dad was actually not an rear end in a top hat at all but the coolest savior of humanity that always believed in you and loved you is the dumbest part in any Final Fantasy ever.

Except that didn't happen. Jecht used to most certainly be a drunken, abusive rear end in a top hat.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Feb 3, 2015

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

One song, yes. I think it's this one, but I shamefully don't have Theatrhythm so I can't confirm for sure.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

NikkolasKing posted:

Is Xenogears on there yet? I've never actually played Theatrym and know only the general basics about it.

Except that didn't happen. Jecht used to most certainly be a drunken, abusive rear end in a top hat.

Yes, Jecht was a Bad Dad who matured on his own journey. He got sentimental after he grew up a bit.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

fronz posted:

I KNEW THIS DAY WOULD COME

you were right all along, fronz

oh my god i'm going to go right home and buy vamo alla flamenco

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Fungah! posted:

you were right all along, fronz

oh my god i'm going to go right home and buy vamo alla flamenco

It will be one hour and thirty minutes and then I can do that

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

bloodychill posted:

Honestly though, the grandaddy of them all is 14 1.0, which was a technical nightmare. The network topography alone was vaguely organized insanity.

And was so bad that it had a hefty negative impact on other projects and their development times.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

bloodychill posted:

Eh, this is generally dishonest. The FF games have a storied history of development problems since 7 but 7, 10, and 12 were still only 3 year projects, a year outside the AAA gold standard of 2 years. 13 went through more, though as has been pointed out, we only know the details because developers have talked some about it.

Wada gets a lot of criticism for allegedly rushing out FFXIV 1.0 out to beat World of Warcraft Cataclysm. However, the game was in development since 2005 under the codename Rapture. It had the biggest team ever for a FF game yet and received plenty of development resources. The game needed to come out in 2010 since Square-Enix was aggressively expanding at that time, especially with the acquisition of Eidos. It needed a hit MMO to help buoy them through the restructuring of Eidos and the development of Eidos's AAA games. It didn't help that Dragon Quest IX, the Final Fantasy XIII mythology games, and some spin-off games were repeatedly missing deadlines, which led to pressure from shareholders. It makes you wonder what Hiromichi Tanaka and his team did all those years.

Other than struggling with a game engine made of spirit gum.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

ImpAtom posted:

You also know the "one rock" thing is completely unsourced, right? Like it was repeated as a rumor but there's no actual source for it. There are development things aplenty which are well sourced (the CGI movies being finished before the game being one) but that one's basically apocryphal.

This probably originates from the true statement that a flowerpot in the original FFXIV had as many polygons as a player character.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dr Pepper posted:

This probably originates from the true statement that a flowerpot in the original FFXIV had as many polygons as a player character.

I admit you could tell me that the original FFXIV development team programmed a game by smashing babies against a keyboard and I'd believe it.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

FF14 has shown me The Devil and The Lord, and I am Saved.

Out, you demon! You have no hold any longer!

Cast yourself before the Lord and you will be redeemed.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Toxxupation posted:

hironobu sakaguchi, creator of such hits as blue dragon, lost odyssey, and the last story

They were too good for this sinful Earth. Especially Last Story :smith:

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Eh. You're making an assumption here that the other FF games had unflawed developments
No one has made this assumption.

The GIG posted:

Chrono Cross. :shepspends:

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010

Kurtofan posted:

Have not bought any of the DLC. Will buy every Nier track they put out.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

SSNeoman posted:

They were too good for this sinful Earth. Especially Last Story :smith:

Legit I will argue the thousand years of dreams were excellent and almost worth playing the really dull and pointless overall game that is LO for

But then again the thousand years of dreams concept was better executed in nier, one of the greatest games ever made sooooooooo

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Dr Pepper posted:

Wait seriously?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nihilarian posted:

No one has made this assumption.

"Neither of those games had such gems as a developer spending weeks to render a single rock because no one was giving her any other work to do. FFXIII is the standout. It hasn't been topped in ineptitude..." ect, ect is making pretty big assumptions, especially based of hearsay without any actual source. I mean FFXIII has a hosed-up development but so did FFXII and FFXI and I'd say FFXIV's development is way substantially more hosed up than FFXIII's was based off what we know. There's a lot of ineptitude to go around.

Square-Enix having long-term systemic design problems has been a thing for a long time now. Assuming that FFXIII is uniquely inept doesn't really make sense when what it looks like is a long series of problems that have extended from FFXII to FFXIII to FF 14 to FF Versus-turned-15 to Kingdom Hearts 3 and basically every console game they've developed for over a decade.

TurnipFritter posted:

Wait seriously?

Part (but not remotely all) of the reason the original FFXIV ran like poo poo was absurdly bloated graphics.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Feb 3, 2015