Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fritz
Jul 26, 2003

i have been given a sdk in objective c, and a library i wrote in c++, and i want to get them working together in a demo, so it looks like my best option is to write that demo in objective c because going one way is easier than going the other? idk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

whatever you do, however much someone bribes you, do not consider Objective-C++

there is no candy in that van

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
like objective c adds the objective stuff to c which is mostly the weird message passing syntax [receiver [receiver message]] or something iirc it's been a while

otherwise you drop to c for most things

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

yeah once i start digging this looks pretty c-like except function declaration looks pretty different with colons and dashes and stuff to figure out

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
objective-c isn't a very good language, but it's not terrible I guess. the sooner swift matures enough to replace it completely, the better.

be careful with nil, because calling a method on a nil will just give you a nil and not give you any hint that anything is wrong.

also this convention is actually disgusting:
code:
-(id)init {
    if (self = [super init]) {
       // initialize
    }
    return self
}

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Malcolm XML posted:

get a lawyer
get a lawyer
get a lawyer
get a lawyer
get a lawyer

lol yes i'm sure involving counsel will ensure the best possible outcome for my employment negotiations

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

lol yes i'm sure involving counsel will ensure the best possible outcome for my employment negotiations

lol

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
let me just give you some legal advice but first off: you should never, ever talk to anyone who actually understands this, studied this, and does this for a living

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

so apparently today I, a terrible programmer, get to tutor a literal child out of college with no job experience on our app's design

I will mark down this day as finally being in a position where I can ruin other programmers and make them as bad as I am

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

tef posted:

let me just give you some legal advice but first off: you should never, ever talk to anyone who actually understands this, studied this, and does this for a living

talking to a lawyer about a contract you're planning to sign: not a bad idea

employing a lawyer to negotiate the nitty gritty on a horrible contract that thousands of employees already signed: lol

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
knockout.js components are confirmed ownage.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

employing a lawyer to negotiate the nitty gritty on a horrible contract that thousands of employees already signed: lol

normally u are a moron, but this time u r a dangerous moron. get a lawyer if you need to dealw ith any employment contract terms~~

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

implying america has employment contracts

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

fleshweasel posted:

be careful with nil, because calling a method on a nil will just give you a nil and not give you any hint that anything is wrong.
i love this but a) i can see how explicitly testing with optionals in swift is much better and b) i am a bad programmer

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

I bet the twist ending is Dracula's dick-babies

Malcolm XML posted:

normally u are a moron, but this time u r a dangerous moron. get a lawyer if you need to dealw ith any employment contract terms~~

no no, just tell the company 'no lawyers, pinky swear.'
you wouldn't want to sign a contract with no legal representation, while they have an entire legal department!!!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Malcolm XML posted:

he said to get lawyer to explain it, don't pay the lawyer $texas/hoir to argue with their lawyer

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

hobbesmaster posted:

he said to get lawyer to explain it, don't pay the lawyer $texas/hoir to argue with their lawyer

arguing law sans lawyer is a dumbass move in any way

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
eh, I'm sure it'll be fine. law is just like programming but in english, right?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Malcolm XML posted:

arguing law sans lawyer is a dumbass move in any way

there's not gonna be any arguing.

your lawyer will call and they'll retract the offer lol

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

hobbesmaster posted:

get a lawyer to explain it, don't pay the lawyer $texas/hour to argue with their lawyer

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

I've requested changes or clarifications on most of my employment contracts, sometimes on the advice of counsel. similarly, I've had dozens of candidates ask for changes and even big companies can accommodate changes if they want to (usually not by amending the standard contract but by executing a separate agreement). I'd think it was a little aggro for a candidate's lawyer to call me, but not if they said "so hey, I didn't understand it so I asked a lawyer, could you tell me more about...".

talk to a loving lawyer. if nothing else, you go in with your eyes open, and you can see if the employer can explain why they have certain clauses.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

triple sulk posted:

so apparently today I, a terrible programmer, get to tutor a literal child out of college with no job experience on our app's design

I will mark down this day as finally being in a position where I can ruin other programmers and make them as bad as I am

You're basically being paid to rubber duck the app and you'll learn a lot more about it by helping the literalChild, and also go home feeling good about yourself since you helped someone do a high paying job.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

there's not gonna be any arguing.

your lawyer will call and they'll retract the offer lol

lol

nobody said have your lawyer call their lawyer. the opposite in fact:

hobbesmaster posted:

mostly when you are looking for work, have already signed a noncompete, and want to know how to keep yourself from opening yourself up to a lawsuit. it's worth the small cost it takes to get a lawyer to read your contract to not have to bet on the fact that your former company's legal department wont be a giant collection of assholes

(every legal department ever is a giant collection of assholes)

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Arcsech posted:

lol

nobody said have your lawyer call their lawyer. the opposite in fact:

mostly when you are looking for work, have already signed a noncompete, and want to know how to keep yourself from opening yourself up to a lawsuit. it's worth the small cost it takes to get a lawyer to read your contract to not have to bet on the fact that your former company's legal department wont be a giant collection of assholes

(every legal department ever is a giant collection of assholes)

you're quoting a guy who agreed with me, in order to express your disagreement

this has grown very confusing

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
Someone at work showed me ctrl p and I rebound the split/tab buttons to things that feel familiar and now I like vim

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

Someone at work showed me ctrl p and I rebound the split/tab buttons to things that feel familiar and now I like vim

congrats on your newfound autism

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

does it have any advantages over just nerdtree and ack.vim?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

wait whats ctrl p

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
where you can just start and stop as many times as you like without breaking your urethra?

iunno

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Stringent posted:

nerdtree feels clunky and dumb. it's a sign that maybe you should just get an IDE instead of making GBS threads vim with stuff like nerdtree.

tbf though command-t is one of the few vim plugins that I use

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Symbolic Butt posted:

nerdtree feels clunky and dumb. it's a sign that maybe you should just get an IDE instead of making GBS threads vim with stuff like nerdtree.

file browsing is your idea of an ide use case?

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
yes

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Stringent posted:

where you can just start and stop as many times as you like without breaking your urethra?

iunno

oh jesus what's that thing where like you jerk off but you don't let it come out

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

edging? kegels? the drive to work?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Stringent posted:

nerdtree was really awful and not at all something i enjoyed using from my experience

ctrl-p you just type and then when your file is there you hit enter and bam

it's not good i guess if you don't know what you're trying to find

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Luigi Thirty posted:

oh jesus what's that thing where like you jerk off but you don't let it come out

jelq

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Luigi Thirty posted:

edging?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Luigi Thirty posted:

duke nukem forever

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Luigi Thirty posted:

marriage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Luigi Thirty posted:

tender embraces with the person you, luigi 30, are emotionally closest with

• Locked thread