Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

Get Dragon Quest 4 and once you get to chapter 3 never complete it.

Or play Recetear.

Recetear was a great game. It was even more effective to not go adventuring and spend your time buying equipment in bulk and selling it. Quantities over quality.

But yes "do anything you want" or "your actions have consequences" are major red flags that the game is not going to deliver its promises. Surprise the more possible outcomes you give the gamer the more complex the game is to program. So the infinite possibles of "do anything you want" you basically need an infinitely complex code, like the laws of physics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

B..b...but I play a lot of MMOs, that means I can make the best one! :saddowns:

Man...why is always MMOs?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Snuffman posted:

B..b...but I play a lot of MMOs, that means I can make the best one! :saddowns:

Man...why is always MMOs?

One thing is that a lot of the first wave of MMOs really were started on tiny budgets by things like two brothers in their parents house or some guys in a college dorm. Many of those are even still going today. So there's still an expectation from certain people that if they do the same thing, they'll win out as well.

There's also that MMOs offer the idea of receiving money on a frequent basis, either subscriptions or microtransactions, and that's very appealing to some guy who's just barely got his head around the idea of a business model. Because surely everyone would buy your normal game once and then you'd have to make a new one to get more money, but with an MMO you can just get ongoing revenue. :downs:

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

It's because MMOs can theoretically give you much deeper and more powerful escapism than other games.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Gumdrop Larry posted:

It's because MMOs can theoretically give you much deeper and more powerful escapism than other games.

I assumed it was to make the most money. :confused:

They see WoW and assume their super awesome do anything ULTRA-REALISTIC WEAPONS fantasy game will get 500k subscribers, which at $20 a month each nets them :homebrew:

DStecks posted:

Also the pitch is full of vague-as-piss language

I loved those gems as well. It's like they brought out a thesaurus every time they needed to describe a feature they planned on adding.

"An enormous online and persistent world..."

"Identity is already revolutionary..."

"A massive, dynamic world"

"painstakingly realistic physics and high fidelity"

"ultra-realistic weapons"

"Houses and apartments can range from a small studio to a massive penthouse"

Ugh!

And this whole pitch reminds me of the fake review on Zero Punctuation of Duke Nukem Forever, where he says how it's "genre defying masterpiece, combining elements of FPS, adventure games, RTS, typing tutors, Cooking Mama".

This game is trying to actually do that and they think they'll succeed. :negative:

KiddieGrinder has a new favorite as of 21:32 on Feb 3, 2015

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

KiddieGrinder posted:

I assumed it was to make the most money. :confused:

They see WoW and assume their super awesome do anything ULTRA-REALISTIC WEAPONS fantasy game will get 500k subscribers, which at $20 a month each nets them :homebrew:

I think it's a safer bet that the thought process begins with "my dream game is a perfect MMO that I can devote my life to because my actual life isn't very good." Then, because they have an infantile world view and understanding of game development, instead of acknowledging that it's essentially impossible for that game to get made and something that not even established professional developers with hundreds of millions of dollars could pull off, they proceed to say "guess I'll have to make it myself."

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

I'm just waiting for someone to pitch a MMORPG where literally anything can be done, and you can have hundreds, even thousands of people in a single city, everything from peasant farmers to godlike heroes.

And it's just an AOL chat room.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Isn't that what Second Life is?

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Nah, Second Life can't handle nearly the same scale as a text-only chatroom.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Great Rumbler posted:

And then there's the fact that these guys want to do all that with about $150k, when MMOs with budgets 1000x that amount don't even attempt it.

To be fair, I think was to create a mock-up and presentation to get VC buy-in.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Germstore posted:

Isn't that what Second Life is?

Not really, because you can literally fly and everyone can just make stuff out of nothing.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Wurm Online is basically a medieval fantasy peasant simulator. You spend 99% of your time doing boring mind numbing labour and maybe 1% actually fighting trolls and giant spiders. You can be anyone or do anything as long as that anyone is lovely dirtfarmer living in a hovel and that anything is spending 12 hours crafting a simple cart or moving dirt from one place to another very very slowly while dreaming about how awesome it would be to play a better game.

I guess you could run a shop in that but there's like 30 people that still play it and all of them live in separate villages that all hate each other.

Anything Wurm could do Minecraft could do better.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I don't know how to feel about this:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/265641170/kraftwerk-highly-innovative-portable-power-plant

The idea isn't bad for things like camping/hiking/etc..., but that video is just full of WTF?

From the weird belly tat guy walking up and posing refilling his Kraftwerk, to taking it to a coffee shop and work...places literally full of outlets and USB ports...to then giving one as a gift to his wife in a box you'd expect jewelry to be in, and then her revealing her own Kraftwerk...again, that she is using in a place FULL of outlets.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Evil Fluffy posted:

Get Dragon Quest 4 and once you get to chapter 3 never complete it.

That part of Dragon Quest 4 was so popular they made an entire series out of just Torneko going into dungeons to get poo poo and selling them back in town. Then they started making other games using the same formula but with different licenses so you ended up with pokemon mystery dungeon, shiren the wanderer, chocobo dungeon, probably a few others too.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

DrBouvenstein posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/265641170/kraftwerk-highly-innovative-portable-power-plant

The idea isn't bad for things like camping/hiking/etc..., but that video is just full of WTF?

From the weird belly tat guy walking up and posing refilling his Kraftwerk, to taking it to a coffee shop and work...places literally full of outlets and USB ports...to then giving one as a gift to his wife in a box you'd expect jewelry to be in, and then her revealing her own Kraftwerk...again, that she is using in a place FULL of outlets.

So green!

Take renewable energy, use it to make synthetic fuel, package that synthetic fuel, transport it half way across the country, fill a portable power cel that had to be manufactured in china and shipped half way around the world, throw away the cylinder (or ship it back across the country to be refilled) and voilla, you can charge your phone with renewable energy!

I see absolutely no inefficiencies in that system compared to just putting the goddamn power straight into the goddamn grid and charging your phone from the goddamn wall like a normal person you deluded goddamn morons.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Anyone with a working room temperature gasoline fuel cell wouldn't need a kickstarter. edit: oh, not petrol, butane.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Germstore posted:

Anyone with a working room temperature gasoline fuel cell wouldn't need a kickstarter.

so it's just an out and out scam?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

DrBouvenstein posted:

I don't understand, how do they have FFA approval for a device that uses flammable/explosive hydrocarbon fuel (I'm assuming it uses butane, etc. from the "camping gas"/"lighter gas" description) when you can't even take bottled water or clam chowder or any other liquids on board planes?

Also lol if they think that there's anything green about using grid power to manufacture and package fuel, then ship it around with the fossil-fuel powered transport system to retail outlets versus just plugging into the grid to begin with

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Fatkraken posted:

so it's just an out and out scam?

No, I thought they meant petrol. Butane fuel cells are a thing I think.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

BattleMaster posted:

Also lol if they think that there's anything green about using grid power to manufacture and package fuel, then ship it around with the fossil-fuel powered transport system to retail outlets versus just plugging into the grid to begin with

Indeed, synthetic fuel only even begins to make sense for things that actually need fuel. Using it to re-generate (much less) electricity than was used to make it is completely nonsensical. The attitude of "I want MY electricity to be as green as possible even if it's horribly wasteful" rather than "I want the greatest possible proportion of the overall amount of electricity generated to be green" is really toxic

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

DrBouvenstein posted:

I like the totally appropriate and necessary shot of belly tat dude glancing over at the "hot chick in the cafe," and the twist at the end that he has a wife/girlfriend/findom.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

quote:

Will I be totally independent from the electric grid with kraftwerk?

Yes! You will be! You will never have to go back to the electric grid!

There are nearly a million dollars' worth of people who read that sentence and said OKAY!

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

FirstAidKite posted:

That part of Dragon Quest 4 was so popular they made an entire series out of just Torneko going into dungeons to get poo poo and selling them back in town. Then they started making other games using the same formula but with different licenses so you ended up with pokemon mystery dungeon, shiren the wanderer, chocobo dungeon, probably a few others too.

It's me. I'm the kid who didn't leave town until he had a full set of the best gear available there, except his weapon. That was either a Chain Sickle or an Iron Spear because 3500 gold for a Sword of Malice was a lot and I wasn't that patient, plus it was a rented game.

Ofcourse when the 3DS version came out I left town as soon as someone sold him a Sword of Malice, then came back later on and bought dozens thanks to the bag mechanic the remake added. :getin:

Kiavahr
Oct 17, 2013

Outrageous Lumpwad

BattleMaster posted:

I don't understand, how do they have FFA approval for a device that uses flammable/explosive hydrocarbon fuel (I'm assuming it uses butane, etc. from the "camping gas"/"lighter gas" description) when you can't even take bottled water or clam chowder or any other liquids on board planes?

Because they made that spelling mistake a while ago and asked Football Federation Australia instead of the FAA.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Kiavahr posted:

Because they made that spelling mistake a while ago and asked Football Federation Australia instead of the FAA.

Ahaha I didn't even notice it was wrong; at least I wasn't the one who made the mistake :downs:

ArgoATX
Dec 10, 2014
Hi, my jobless drifter boyfriend and I decided to have a child in order to add some meaning to our lives, give us $10,000

Here is a list of things that neither of us can provide for a child and which are difficult to buy with the cash assistance and food stamps your taxes will be providing, please help buy them for us:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ArgoATX posted:

Hi, my jobless drifter boyfriend and I decided to have a child in order to add some meaning to our lives, give us $10,000

Here is a list of things that neither of us can provide for a child and which are difficult to buy with the cash assistance and food stamps your taxes will be providing, please help buy them for us:

I'd rather they get $10,000 than the next MMO clown getting $10

ArgoATX
Dec 10, 2014

Nintendo Kid posted:

I would've gone halfsies on the abortion for them, but nooooooo that would be crass.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Nintendo Kid posted:

This is America, I doubt the cost of prenatal care and delivery will be under $10,000.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
In fact, Kickstarter should implement a system where every attempted pledge to a horrible game or bullshit product instead redirects immediately to some random broke guy who needs money for a medical thing.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

ArgoATX posted:

I would've gone halfsies on the abortion for them, but nooooooo that would be crass.

Considering how many of those "Give us 100,000 likes and our kids can keep this dog!" attention whores sprung up in the past I'm surprised there aren't more people doing crowdfunding where they threaten to have a pet put down or get an abortion if they don't raise the funds they need for their pets/kids

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Exploding Kittens has posted stretch goals, and they're based more on social media presence than total amount of money raised.

Those guys are brilliant.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Nintendo Kid posted:

In fact, Kickstarter should implement a system where every attempted pledge to a horrible game or bullshit product instead redirects immediately to some random broke guy who needs money for a medical thing.

Yeah, like every Kickstarter that gets shut down for being against the rules gets the money shunted to paying for dialysis for developmentally delayed kids. Either that, or directly to Anita Sarkeesian. I'm sure people would be down for that.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

boom boom boom posted:

Exploding Kittens has posted stretch goals, and they're based more on social media presence than total amount of money raised.

Their NSFW cards aren't even very NSFW based on the previews.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

boom boom boom posted:

They're also getting their backers to send in selfies with goats and photos of them wearing cats as beards and stuff like that as 'achievements' to unlock stretch goals, the power has gone to their heads and now they're just making people do weird things for their own amusement. :haw:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/elanlee/exploding-kittens

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah this is a marvel of marketing and to me is rather amazing on that alone.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

DrBouvenstein posted:

I'm just waiting for Ralf and Florian to find out about this and sue their asses off.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

boom boom boom posted:

If anyone ever asks, "How do I do a great kickstarter?" I'm just going to point them to this one. It's diabolical in it's design regarding effort vs output. I think the only mistake is they promised to sign copies ... but then they limited that tier to an actual ration number (205 copies).

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Jedit posted:

I'm just waiting for Ralf and Florian to find out about this and sue their asses off.

Kraftwerk is just the German word for power plant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

Kraftwerk is just the German word for power plant.
Kraftwerk is just the English word for Kraftwerk, though.