Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Ghost Hand posted:

These guys have just started up but I haven't listened to them yet...

http://splintermind.podomatic.com/

Specifically Dark Eldar.

They're the guys from The Dark City forums, which is mostly a circlejerk of the same 10 or do people that have been there forever and then 200 people starting DEldar armies looking for list help. The podcast is a tough listen, though very likely because they're new and are trying to find their stride.

Dark Eldar are pretty poorly supported in the community. The best I've been able to find have been either SkaredCast (although I can't STAND... his weird VOICE emphases IN. all of his VIDEO. BATTLE. . . . REPORTS.)

Frankie from Frontline Gaming brings out his Dark Eldar form time to time and I've either watched or listened to him talk about it fairly in depth. I can't recall where exactly, it may have been the Frontline podcast, but he's pretty smart about the army, as you might expect.

(edit: I don't know when we stopped doing first post per page wallpapers, but I'm bringing it back.)

koreban fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Feb 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The Dark City forums use black tables and white text. That's all you need to know about how poo poo that place is.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

The Dark City forums use black tables and white text. That's all you need to know about how poo poo that place is.

It looks nice... don't know how the community is :)

Oh and hey... so do my forums. Oops!

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Well I was already posting a negatively slanted criticism of their podcast. I didn't want to come across as slamming on TDC and Skarre. You /can/ occasionally find decent info on particular units or army lists if you really parse it. You do, however, have to have a decent bullshit radar to get through it all.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Ghost Hand posted:

It looks nice... don't know how the community is :)

Oh and hey... so do my forums. Oops!

Nothing personal, it's just extremely uncomfortable for some people to try and read like that. When I navigate away it's like I've been staring at a bulb.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Nothing personal, it's just extremely uncomfortable for some people to try and read like that. When I navigate away it's like I've been staring at a bulb.

Honestly its just lazy web design on my part ... :) I allow people to switch to a white background version if they want.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe
SHUT IT DOWN CARL! Shut it all down!

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

:siren: poo poo load of pictures incoming :siren:

Finally took some pics of my eldar stuff --

everything together:

Individual shots:

Next on the list : Lynx. Get hosed Panascope

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Easily my favorite ones:

Hixson has been hamming for, I dunno, 4 years less than me? Despite that, he has an amazing well painted eldar army. Those pictures don't do it justice.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

BULBASAUR posted:

Hixson has been hamming for, I dunno, 4 years less than me? Despite that, he has an amazing well painted eldar army. Those pictures don't do it justice.

I can confirm this statement and having played against Hixson on many occasions I can also add that even though he's powergamey and cheap, painted models make for fantastic sidebar models as he gets tabled because his dice hate him.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Holy poo poo Hixson that is some beautiful work.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Goddamn Hixon that's sweet.

Horus Heresy weekender is on in a couple of days :getin:

Snollygoster
Dec 17, 2002

what a scoop
Seriously though, how do you paint Harlequin diamonds on an elf's elbow a millimeter wide?

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Cataphract posted:

SHUT IT DOWN CARL! Shut it all down!

Dark City, huh? Perhaps we should shut it down... forever?

Took a couple pictures of some of the Necrons I've started on. Plan on blowing through another six Scarabs bases and an old Tomb Spyder today, possibly more with some luck.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Snollygoster posted:

Seriously though, how do you paint Harlequin diamonds on an elf's elbow a millimeter wide?

I have zero intention of painting diamonds if I get any of the new Harlequins.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Snollygoster posted:

I do it by using the dot techique.

Dot everything in, much easier to correct mistakes if its a tiny tiny dot. Then connect the lines.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Hixson posted:

Next on the list : Lynx. Get hosed Panascope

It would be nice if you didn't shed tears every time the Warhound left its shelf.

Also I have to laugh at how quickly our group has grown their armies. Stanyer89 has the Adamantium Lance now after starting with Dark Angels and shifting to Blood Angels, his brother has 3 Riptides, now you're getting a Lynx and I have a Titan. The arms race is on. Bulbasaur we need you on a Heresy superheavy.

panascope fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Feb 4, 2015

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Your Eldar are the superior :negative:

I already have a Lynx though, I'm practising how to paint effective runes before I get to it or my Cobra

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
I bought a mate a Bonesinger a few years back as a christmas present, for the sum of £15. Now I want one for myself to use as a Spiritseer and the only one on eBay is £50. gently caress.

e: it also looks like GW have stopped doing the 4 or so Farseers that used to be available. I've been meaning to get the one with 2 shortswords for years and now I can't. Bollocks.

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Feb 4, 2015

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

Hixson posted:

so many space elves

Come to NOVA.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Ghost Hand posted:

Honestly its just lazy web design on my part ... :) I allow people to switch to a white background version if they want.

Ah, see, you can't do that on Dark City. It's black or nothing, hence poo poo.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Thanks for the words everybody. I've spent an ungodly amount of time painting, glad you guys like them :shobon:

koreban posted:

I can confirm this statement and having played against Hixson on many occasions I can also add that even though he's powergamey and cheap, painted models make for fantastic sidebar models as he gets tabled because his dice hate him.

You kind of have to be powergamey in our group. The local meta is tough and you have to bring tough lists to not get poo poo on. Especially now that Stanyer89 is playing with us, he just ordered his 3rd imperial knight for the Adamantium Lance formation! You should make the trip up to Panascopes sometime soon and we'll throw down.

The Sex Cannon posted:

Come to NOVA.

I've only ever played against a complete stranger once at an FLGS and it was not a pleasurable experience. I can only imagine how unfun things get when there is a prize on the line.

My kind of warhammer involves large volumes of alcohol and yelling at my friends.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hixson posted:

You kind of have to be powergamey in our group. The local meta is tough and you have to bring tough lists to not get poo poo on. Especially now that Stanyer89 is playing with us, he just ordered his 3rd imperial knight for the Adamantium Lance formation! You should make the trip up to Panascopes sometime soon and we'll throw down.

I was there a few weeks ago. We've both had some family commitments that got in the way the last couple weeks. Unfortunately Dark Eldar don't have real superheavy options (they can take the Revenant or Phantom Titan, but the fluff states that they really don't ever do that and they lack supporting units for it anyways.)

We'll have to see how Harlies pan out. With a decent heavy support option I may be able to compete.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
oh god

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Hixson posted:

My kind of warhammer involves large volumes of alcohol and yelling at my friends.

You are doing it right.

Your Eldar look fantastic man. Well done!

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Oh yes.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

Oh hell yes. I see automata power blades in there.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Those Ogryn look a bit... weird

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Hixson posted:

You'll fit right in at Nova, then.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

It's a fantastic-looking model but that paint job/photo angle does it no favors

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord
Grimdark Robits daily painting report:

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

TheChirurgeon posted:

It's a fantastic-looking model but that paint job/photo angle does it no favors

Dreadnought Dentata.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

PierreTheMime posted:

Deff-Skull Crons

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
I am having a hard time deciding what to do with NoVA this year. I placed first in the middle bracket last year and I had a blast, but it can be a lot of pressure. While the narrative seems like a lot of fun on the Generals side, and those Quickening games seem like they will have that competitive edge I am looking for while feeling less intense and more local-RTT. But to travel so far to a GT and not actually play in the GT feels so wrong...

Hixson posted:

The narrative is what you want. Beer or liquor is warmly encouraged and everyone I have met in those games have been great guys.

I also drank, which I usually don't, because there was a charity bar at the hotel and I wanted to do something different (for once). That's the day I learned that long island iced teas don't actually have any tea in them and that drunk-hammer is fun as hell. I think The Sex Cannon can vouch for that, even if he only saw me for like 5 minutes that night.

edit: Can't find the right words. You are not expected to drink, but a good number do, especially in the evening games.

WhiteOutMouse fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Feb 4, 2015

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

PierreTheMime posted:

Mildly aggrieved you're doing the same paint scheme as me on the same army, except painting quicker and better.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Lord Twisted posted:

Mildly aggrieved you're doing the same paint scheme as me on the same army, except painting quicker and better.

Thanks and sorry. :shobon: I've been a speed-painting machine lately because it's been mildly dead at my job, which is where 99.5% of all my painting takes place. I'm still somewhat dreading the looks carrying down a full tray of alien monsters while people in business suits stare at me.

Does anyone here live/play around the Atlanta, GA area? My family and I are heading there for the next week and I'm going to be free a good deal of the time. If you'd like to get a game in I'd be happy to bring an army along with me to nerd it up while I'm in mildly chillier weather.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Hixson, those Eldar are seriously great looking. You paint elves gud.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

SRM posted:

Thanks man! That's really awesome and humbling to hear. My rank and file Valhallans really aren't a difficult standard to get to - they're the right middleground of effort and result for me and you could totally get there! And everyone should paint. Painting rules. Start painting!

I had a lovely day at work yesterday and started drinking right after I got home. By the end of the night I had a DV Interrogator-Chaplain converted to Imperial Fists with a bunch of the DA iconography carefully removed, the winged shoulderpad replaced with a finecast Fists shoulderpad, the angelic crozius changed to a giant Aquila, the plasma pistol changed to a relic boltgun, primer and the starting coats of basecolors down.

It wasn't until this morning that I realized I should have oathed it, but now all I want to do is paint some more. Thanks for the encouragement (beer may have helped).

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

koreban posted:

I had a lovely day at work yesterday and started drinking right after I got home. By the end of the night I had a DV Interrogator-Chaplain converted to Imperial Fists with a bunch of the DA iconography carefully removed, the winged shoulderpad replaced with a finecast Fists shoulderpad, the angelic crozius changed to a giant Aquila, the plasma pistol changed to a relic boltgun, primer and the starting coats of basecolors down.

It wasn't until this morning that I realized I should have oathed it, but now all I want to do is paint some more. Thanks for the encouragement (beer may have helped).

Hey, happy to help! I don't encourage conversion work when drinking though; if I slip my paintbrush and gently caress up a highlight that's one thing, if I'm converting something and slip with my x-acto that's gonna be just a little bit worse :v:

Post some pictures once he's done!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
Has anyone pre-ordered from Discount Games Store? I pre-ordered the Necron Codex and new Overlord from them a couple of weeks ago and haven't received a shipping notification or.. well anything else.

• Locked thread