Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I don't remember any technical problems with Suikoden V on PCSX2 at least. It might run better there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
The emulator probably helped. SuikoV has a great narrative but a lot of it is loading screens.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Nate RFB posted:

I don't remember any technical problems with Suikoden V on PCSX2 at least. It might run better there.

Yeah, runs way better than on the PS2.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Playing Suikoden 1 for the first time in a decade, that first town music and Gremio's theme, so good.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

All Else Failed posted:

It looks to be right but gently caress me if I can figure it out, the patcher just won't do anything. Guessing it's something to do with an error message about the .lua interface file but Google isn't telling me much and I don't know poo poo without Google. Le sigh. Thanks anyway.

You got spaces in your path name? That'll cause problems. Post the error message, I've seen a few.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

BottledBodhisvata posted:

I never picked up Child of Light but Citizens of Earth sounds intriguing. The review posted earlier makes me pause though, does anyone have a second opinion?

The game is flat. That's my biggest problem with it. There are 40 people to recruit, but some of them are straight-up better than others in combat (for example, one guy's standard combat abilities are simply "Get energy", which other people can do normally while also attacking). There's a lot of differentiation in how people fight, but you get so many abilities over so many people that it's impossible to care about any of them. Imagine a Persona game where every persona had unique abilities and also all started at level 5 and maxed at level 50 - why would you care about any of them? They also have talents - again, some are better than others. One guy lets you look through trash cans for lovely items. One person lets you rearrange your level-up stats. A couple only sell you poo poo, and only while you're in their store. It's just a mishmash of abilities that have no sense of balance in them. One person lets you change the difficulty of the game, another lets you change the zoom level of the camera. Whoopie. They don't have any personality once they're in your party.

The story isn't very exciting, but it's a problem exacerbated by the open world that the game gives you. You're told "Go here!" but never told where "Here!" is in the world, all you know is that you've never been there. Imagine if in Earthbound, you could go in any direction at the start of the game, and someone said "Hey check out the desert." You'd be like "Where the hell is that?" That's all of Citizens of Earth. So you end up wandering randomly, which isn't very fun. Quests aren't exciting either.

It's a game full of charm, which seems to be its only driving force - and that essentially keeps me coming back to it, because I want to finish it. But the gameplay itself is just lacking in some fundamental ways. The homages to Earthbound, both in gameplay and style, are cute. But...eh. I don't feel it's worth picking up if you've got something better to play.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Morpheus posted:

The story isn't very exciting, but it's a problem exacerbated by the open world that the game gives you. You're told "Go here!" but never told where "Here!" is in the world, all you know is that you've never been there. Imagine if in Earthbound, you could go in any direction at the start of the game, and someone said "Hey check out the desert." You'd be like "Where the hell is that?" That's all of Citizens of Earth. So you end up wandering randomly, which isn't very fun. Quests aren't exciting either.

It's a game full of charm, which seems to be its only driving force - and that essentially keeps me coming back to it, because I want to finish it. But the gameplay itself is just lacking in some fundamental ways. The homages to Earthbound, both in gameplay and style, are cute. But...eh. I don't feel it's worth picking up if you've got something better to play.

That's pretty much Earthbound, though. Although Earthbound's linear you're never really told what you're doing beyond "find the giant steps" and solving whatever (sometimes literal) roadblock is in your way. Earthbound as a game is as complex as Dragon Quest 2 but it has more personality than any other 16-bit RPG. As long as Citizens of Earth doesn't feel like a chore to play I would probably check it out although having such a massive, faceless party sounds like something I don't want to deal with.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Delsaber posted:

It's a shame because as you say, it's probably second only to II in most ways, and the improvements it made to the battle system and skill mechanics were fantastic.
I'm kinda unenthusiastic about the skill system in S5. It's nice that they made it (iirc) less grindy than S3, but I was kinda disappointed that you got two skills that you could switch them at any time, but I think there was like one that was really good for a given character, plus you wanted a Magic skill on most characters, and everything else was fairly unimpressive. I would've liked it more if your equipped skills gave you full benefit, but you still got a little passive mileage out of your other leveled abilities. I also was never a fan of how the Suikodens did the skill cap thing, but the fact that you can only equip two skills kinda exacerbated that for me.

I say it every time the fifth game in the series comes up, but it just never really appealed to me. It's a bunch of small subjective things I didn't like added together that made it an unenjoyable experience for me. I think the biggest issue I had with it (barring load times or bugginess/deliberate design decisions about making the player unable to recruit characters due to story flags) is that about a quarter of the soundtrack is actually really good, but I found the rest of it to be pretty much unlistenable. Every single town theme is like, ugh.

Levantine posted:

Yeah, runs way better than on the PS2.
The undub you can run with PCSX2 did make the talkie parts of the game better for me. Ferid's US voice actor was baller though.

You know what Suikoden 5 needed? Data import from 4/Tactics since it was still in chronological order. I probably woulda loved it if I could've brought along Kyril or the hero from 4 instead of those scrub investigators from the Island Nations.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Feb 4, 2015

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

al-azad posted:

That's pretty much Earthbound, though. Although Earthbound's linear you're never really told what you're doing beyond "find the giant steps" and solving whatever (sometimes literal) roadblock is in your way. Earthbound as a game is as complex as Dragon Quest 2 but it has more personality than any other 16-bit RPG. As long as Citizens of Earth doesn't feel like a chore to play I would probably check it out although having such a massive, faceless party sounds like something I don't want to deal with.

It's the nonlinearity that really bugs me. Areas are pretty empty most of the time, with little to no relevance to anything. You'll find a character that you want to recruit and they say "Meet me at Eden Industries!" which I've yet to see or even hear reference to, so....I just keep wandering about.

Also there's no way to gauge your strength in comparison to an area's difficulty without just walking into an enemy and getting your face smashed in, which in a non-linear game happens often.

Also I just got the ability to travel on water. Can't open your map while on water, can only stop at docks, so you need to find a dock to check your map, and you have no idea where anything is in relation to...yeah it's got big problems.

Earthbound gave you direction, at least. It felt like you were making progress. I can play this game for an hour and go absolutely nowhere, killing weak enemies while I try to discover where the next place to go is supposed to be.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

The White Dragon posted:

I say it every time the fifth game in the series comes up, but it just never really appealed to me. It's a bunch of small subjective things I didn't like added together that made it an unenjoyable experience for me. I think the biggest issue I had with it (barring load times or bugginess/deliberate design decisions about making the player unable to recruit characters due to story flags) is that about a quarter of the soundtrack is actually really good, but I found the rest of it to be pretty much unlistenable. Every single town theme is like, ugh.

Why is the worst RPG music always the town/market themes?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRsGaJ39dfs

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

mycot posted:

They try to outshop the Daggerfall shop theme.

Not everyone though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYEDwVQa-70

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Morpheus posted:

It's the nonlinearity that really bugs me. Areas are pretty empty most of the time, with little to no relevance to anything. You'll find a character that you want to recruit and they say "Meet me at Eden Industries!" which I've yet to see or even hear reference to, so....I just keep wandering about.

Also there's no way to gauge your strength in comparison to an area's difficulty without just walking into an enemy and getting your face smashed in, which in a non-linear game happens often.

Also I just got the ability to travel on water. Can't open your map while on water, can only stop at docks, so you need to find a dock to check your map, and you have no idea where anything is in relation to...yeah it's got big problems.

Earthbound gave you direction, at least. It felt like you were making progress. I can play this game for an hour and go absolutely nowhere, killing weak enemies while I try to discover where the next place to go is supposed to be.

I can definitely see the faults with a system like that. Even when Pokemon games open up they still give you some indication of a direction.

The US PS2 had such a great launch lineup. Even though few of the games were really exemplary, it's proof that variety is important when selling a console.

RE: town music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-u3RUAeYWM

I really want an Arabian/West-Asian themed game. Someone call up Wizards and have them license Al-Qadim.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Feb 4, 2015

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

mycot posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-EGLi5viEs

is awesome

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0tvoZkHzG0

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
Does anyone have a suggestion of an cRPG with extremely good kleptomania? i really like breaking into vaults and stuff, and getting more powerful using my ill-gotten gains.

I like top down stuff most of all, and first person the least.

jrpgs are also welcome, if there is a super good suggestion.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

Doctor Goat posted:

Does anyone have a suggestion of an cRPG with extremely good kleptomania? i really like breaking into vaults and stuff, and getting more powerful using my ill-gotten gains.

It's probably not what you're looking for but I'm pretty sure all my end game equipment in the original Divine Divinity was gotten through lock picking.

And I think everything my characters wore in Arcanum was gotten illegally.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Pillars of Eternity comes out next month and that's basically supposed to be a modern Baldur's Gate. I'm sure that'll have a poo poo-ton of hiding in plain sight, cracking open someone's drawers, and then wondering why the gently caress this peasant has a Ring of Wizardry V.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
I've been meaning to play Arcanum for a long time but I've never gotten around to it. I hear it has the wonderful mechanic of shopkeeper chests actually containing their whole inventory.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

Doctor Goat posted:

I've been meaning to play Arcanum for a long time but I've never gotten around to it. I hear it has the wonderful mechanic of shopkeeper chests actually containing their whole inventory.

And it has perma stashes, so to keep poo poo from taking up all your inventory space you can rob a place blind, take it to the abandoned building next door, throw it all in a box and come back to it at anytime.

Don't put it in a trash can though, city workers might empty those.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Doctor Goat posted:

JRPG, but one of the cool things about Star Ocean 2 is being able to steal from nearly everyone, including your pals, party members, their families, the families of your enemies... and getting seriously neat cool stuff out of it, like an accessory that gives you rare items randomly. You can also craft forged checks, fake land deeds, etc. and sell them for $$$ or use counterfeit medals for 1exp level-ups (up to lv100 I think, max is 249 or something).

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Doctor Goat posted:

Betrayal at Krondor. It's a first person RPG but with third person turn based combat. I mention it because the equipment system is highly varied with an emphasis on keeping the equipment you have in tip top shape which is a slow loss so you're always on the lookout to replace your stuff. But best of all is a really neat puzzle lock system where hidden chests can only be opened by solving a riddle. And the riddles are pretty good, none of that "what walks on four legs" or "if you eat me you die" bullshit. Finding treasure feels like an actual reward. Getting new gear feels special because it's rare and you have to take care of it.

Really, first person RPGs kind of excel at this thing because their focus is on exploration, not shopping. Arx Fatalis is another game where breaking and entering is always rewarded with unique gear. Westwood's Lands of Lore and Eye of the Beholder by nature of being dungeon crawlers reward going out of your way to pilfer and scavenge.

And I'm sure you wouldn't like them but the Realms of Arkania games have a lot of merchant interaction.

Ooh, Quest for Glory makes playing a thief incredibly fun.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Doctor Goat posted:

It would be worth looking into Legends of Xulima. The early game difficulty curve is the worst as is the case for more games of its type but definitely has that "loot everything" thing going for it.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

mycot posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKCRrbNCVAI

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
Moredhel Lock Chests owned a whole lot, I hear they got bastardized after Betrayal though :(

Star Ocean 2 has some Morrowind level shenanigans like being able to oneshot the bonus boss on accident. I LOVE those kinds of bizarre piles of mechanics.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

Yakiniku Teishoku posted:

JRPG, but one of the cool things about Star Ocean 2 is being able to steal from nearly everyone, including your pals, party members, their families, the families of your enemies... and getting seriously neat cool stuff out of it, like an accessory that gives you rare items randomly. You can also craft forged checks, fake land deeds, etc. and sell them for $$$ or use counterfeit medals for 1exp level-ups (up to lv100 I think, max is 249 or something).

I always forget all the crazy poo poo Star Ocean 2 had. I loved that game. Rob people, cooking tournaments, stupid skills. I loved that game.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

The White Dragon posted:

Pillars of Eternity comes out next month and that's basically supposed to be a modern Baldur's Gate. I'm sure that'll have a poo poo-ton of hiding in plain sight, cracking open someone's drawers, and then wondering why the gently caress this peasant has a Ring of Wizardry V.

holy poo poo this is finally coming out?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

I'm about half way through my first run of Star Ocean 1 PSP, and I've just realized I can make perfect copies of a ring that gives 90% immunity to any and all magic damage. Now, to cross half a continent to buy the film and savescum the gently caress out of it.

Ilia is awesome, especially with her AI obsessed with explosive-kicking everything in sight. She also wrote a book on booze.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I wish more games had Star Ocean 2's skill system, a game where having a high Poker Face let you critical hit more often.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
yea, it was really cool that your skills from outside battle, had a bearing on the stats of your character, and even super useless skills would help you to become more powerful. i second you sentiment because i can't think of another game with a system like that, and to boot, the crafting was really fun, if not more than a bit random.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Doctor Goat posted:

Moredhel Lock Chests owned a whole lot, I hear they got bastardized after Betrayal though :(

Star Ocean 2 has some Morrowind level shenanigans like being able to oneshot the bonus boss on accident. I LOVE those kinds of bizarre piles of mechanics.

Morrow in the right answer. You can head to a few places at the start and loot some OP glass armor and weapons.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

I'm ripping the iso for Second Story now but is it worth getting Second Evolution instead?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Leper Residue posted:

I'm ripping the iso for Second Story now but is it worth getting Second Evolution instead?

Not no but hell no.

Second Evolution managed to have even worse voice acting than the original and decided to apply that to every bit of text instead of just battle quips. And it makes some really dumb changes to combat that invalidate the vast majority of your special moves. AND they made that stupid inventor chick with the glove on a stick from Star Ocean 3 into a (really bad) playable character.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Feb 4, 2015

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

Well apparently my external cd drive doesn't work, and the game doesn't seem to be on the PSN store, so RIP that idea.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

oblomov posted:

Morrow in the right answer. You can head to a few places at the start and loot some OP glass armor and weapons.

The vaults in Vivec and the Ghostfence are my normal spots. When I started Morroblivon, I hit them out of habit.

new question: What are some crazy abusable games?

Doctor Goat fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Feb 4, 2015

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Doctor Goat posted:

The Gothic/Risen series, but mostly Gothic 1 and 2. A huge part of those games is sneaking into houses at night and stealing everything that's not nailed down.

Then, after you've gotten powerful, coming back to town and picking a fight with each NPC in town and rifling through their pockets as they lie unconscious on the ground.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Doctor Goat posted:

The vaults in Vivec and the Ghostfence are my normal spots. When I started Morroblivon, I hit them out of habit.

new question: What are some crazy abusable games?

Wild Arms 1 you could 255 dupe all the stat up items(you get one of each by the end of the first hour) And can easiy spend the whole game maxed out in every stat.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Genpei Turtle posted:

The Gothic/Risen series, but mostly Gothic 1 and 2. A huge part of those games is sneaking into houses at night and stealing everything that's not nailed down.

Then, after you've gotten powerful, coming back to town and picking a fight with each NPC in town and rifling through their pockets as they lie unconscious on the ground.

I am violently allergic to Gothic's control scheme.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Doctor Goat posted:

I am violently allergic to Gothic's control scheme.

it makes much more sense on a gamepad, except the games don't support gamepads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Zaggitz posted:

Wild Arms 1 you could 255 dupe all the stat up items(you get one of each by the end of the first hour) And can easiy spend the whole game maxed out in every stat.

Wait, what? First I'm hearing of this.