Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Sex Weirdo posted:

On the last page someone said that the ND was rumored to start at $30.5k, which if true, makes the BRZ the better buy imo. The base BRZ starts at $5k less dollars and you get 45 more horsepower and a hardtop coupe (I consider it the MX-5 coupe we never got). That's not to mention other features I admittedly haven't researched like does the ND come with navigation, HIDs, or a limited slip differential? Unless you absolutely have to have a drop top, I just don't see the value here.

You just missed out on the discussion about how horsepower isn't everything in the miata.

Edit:The power/weight of the brz isn't much higher anyways. The miata is 140.9hp/ton to the BRZ 144.7hp/ton.

brand engager fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Feb 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sex Weirdo
Jul 24, 2007

I read the discussion, but when people say

Hog Obituary posted:

FRS/brz (but price, gutless)

and the alternative is a miata, I don't see how it's debatable. If the BRZ is costly and gutless what does that make the ND MX-5?

King of all Machines Operate
Sep 23, 2005
uterus puncher ):
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/4876084091.html

Looking for my first Miata. This guy said he's willing to part with it for $4250. I don't know a ton about the current market but in my two weeks or so of looking in the SF bay area, it's been hard to find one that's not modded terribly or just beat to poo poo.

Is that a fair price? Anything to be concerned about? One thing I noticed is the relatively high mileage but anecdotal evidence seems to say that these things run forever when properly maintained.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Sex Weirdo posted:

On the last page someone said that the ND was rumored to start at $30.5k, which if true, makes the BRZ the better buy imo. The base BRZ starts at $5k less dollars and you get 45 more horsepower and a hardtop coupe (I consider it the MX-5 coupe we never got). That's not to mention other features I admittedly haven't researched like does the ND come with navigation, HIDs, or a limited slip differential? Unless you absolutely have to have a drop top, I just don't see the value here.

You can get the NC with HIDs and an LSD and the ND has LED lighting and an LSD. Are you from 1996? Is Navigation a deal breaker?

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
The difference between 150 and 200 or 200 and 240 isn't very noticeable in the end. You are still going to get walked on in a straight line by all kinds of things even with that extra 50hp

If I had to guess the ND and BRZ will probably be close to the same speed anyway because of the weight difference.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

mobby_6kl posted:

one of the calipers was quite rusted and they had to mess with it a lot. The end result is that the handbrake doesn't engage the left side
uneven wear

It's a pretty common problem that the handbrake actuators on the calipers get rusted up enough that they don't want to release which causes uneven wear and also makes changing brake pads much harder than it should be. It might be so rusted that even though they were able to force it to release with tools, just the strength of the handbrake lever isn't enough to move it.

King of all Machines Operate posted:

Looking for my first Miata. This guy said he's willing to part with it for $4250. I don't know a ton about the current market but in my two weeks or so of looking in the SF bay area, it's been hard to find one that's not modded terribly or just beat to poo poo.

Is that a fair price? Anything to be concerned about? One thing I noticed is the relatively high mileage but anecdotal evidence seems to say that these things run forever when properly maintained.
Terrible wheels and shocks on that car. It's going to have a way worse ride than it normally should. I've ridden in cars with those KYB shocks that rode worse than 10+ year old worn out OEM shocks. Combined with the poly bushings (Which are great for a good suspension) it might make it INCREDIBLY harsh. Test drive another car before you decide on that one so you have a reference for what a normal worn out suspension would feel like.

The cold air intake isn't helping, but at least it looks like it uses a good filter and not a terrible oil soaked one so it's probably not hurting anything either.

Hard Dog makes good roll bars, but that's the small one so make sure you can pass the broomstick test with it.

The replacement seats look very nice.

He doesn't mention it so I'm not sure if it's still on the car, but the tow receiver is an after market part too.

Price, I have no idea though. Pricing is very regional, it's about double what I paid for a car in much worse condition, but also about 5 times what I paid for a car in similar condition, just from different parts of the country. I have a feeling that SF will have some of the highest prices in the country though.

Edit: Oh yeah, the strut tower bar is only hurting things by adding weight, Miatas don't need bracing there.

craig588 fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Feb 4, 2015

blk
Dec 19, 2009

King of all Machines Operate posted:

Mileage seems awfully high for the price, but I don't know what the market's like down there. Looks like it was well maintained but with that extensive list of mods I wouldn't be able to guess how it drives. Miata.net has a good buyer's FAQ.

Edit: this might be a better buy if you sell the terrible wheels: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/4876425945.html

blk fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Feb 4, 2015

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Phone posted:

You can get the NC with HIDs and an LSD and the ND has LED lighting and an LSD. Are you from 1996? Is Navigation a deal breaker?

Why anyone wants lovely factory navigation is beyond me when you can mount an Android tablet/iPad in the car that's 100 times better than garbage systems car manufacturers put in a car.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

The stupid built in navs are outdated in like two months too

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

The xenons for the NC are nice at night but they are only for the low beams, not sure if its the same on the BRZ.

I do have the premium package and the suspension package and its pretty baller. I bought a keypad for my garage lock so I have a completely keyless lifestyle now and I'll never go back. :smuggo:

Sep 23, 2005
uterus puncher ):

craig588 posted:

It's a pretty common problem that the handbrake actuators on the calipers get rusted up enough that they don't want to release which causes uneven wear and also makes changing brake pads much harder than it should be. It might be so rusted that even though they were able to force it to release with tools, just the strength of the handbrake lever isn't enough to move it.

Terrible wheels and shocks on that car. It's going to have a way worse ride than it normally should. I've ridden in cars with those KYB shocks that rode worse than 10+ year old worn out OEM shocks. Combined with the poly bushings (Which are great for a good suspension) it might make it INCREDIBLY harsh. Test drive another car before you decide on that one so you have a reference for what a normal worn out suspension would feel like.

The cold air intake isn't helping, but at least it looks like it uses a good filter and not a terrible oil soaked one so it's probably not hurting anything either.

Hard Dog makes good roll bars, but that's the small one so make sure you can pass the broomstick test with it.

The replacement seats look very nice.

He doesn't mention it so I'm not sure if it's still on the car, but the tow receiver is an after market part too.

Price, I have no idea though. Pricing is very regional, it's about double what I paid for a car in much worse condition, but also about 5 times what I paid for a car in similar condition, just from different parts of the country. I have a feeling that SF will have some of the highest prices in the country though.

Edit: Oh yeah, the strut tower bar is only hurting things by adding weight, Miatas don't need bracing there.

Thanks, this is really helpful.
Do you think it'd be better to start with a mostly stock Miata and add upgrades as I need, or start with something that has more modifications done. This would be my first car to track/tinker with (I do not plan on daily driving it, but I also don't want it to sit half worked on for months). If the things he added are not upgrades that make the car better, then it doesn't seem like it's worth the trouble. I'm just hesitant to buy a stock car if I can pick up one with the correct mods for not much more.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
It's never worth buying someone else's half-assed project. Stock is always the preferred way to buy a car, no matter what the car and what the intent is, because the rule of previous owners states that for every one decent change the PO has made, there will be at least two WTF mods that will make you want to tear your hair out.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
A buddy of mine has been looking for a cheap Miata and this popped up sort of nearby

http://swmi.craigslist.org/cto/4867807766.html

quote:

The car runs great and very dependable. It gets 45 miles to the gallon witch is really good. It is a five speed with low miles only has 100 k on the motor. First with 1200 gets it.

I mean obviously it's not gonna get 45mpg and the wheels are mis-matched but for $1200 even I'm tempted. Besides rust what should we keep an eye out for?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

craig588 posted:

How are the KYB GR2s as opposed to the AGXes?

I was thinking of using those to restore my stock 97 to fighting trim. I know GR2s are the Subaru OEM but I don't know what the Miata OEM is for my model (Showa?).

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Feb 5, 2015

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I want to say they're better. I've never felt them, just the KYBs with that 8 setting knob. I'd like to imagine since they're only getting valved for OEM replacement rates they'll perform much better since they have something more precise to shoot for.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
Thanks dudes! Gauges are km/h.

blk posted:

That's beautiful. I wish someone made new faceplates for the AC controls on the center stack to match all the cool gauge clusters out there.
RS Products, Trap, and Revlimiter still make custom HVAC panels. You can buy direct from RSP without a broker, so keep that in mind. Its relatively cheap for what you get.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

A buddy of mine has been looking for a cheap Miata and this popped up sort of nearby

http://swmi.craigslist.org/cto/4867807766.html

I mean obviously it's not gonna get 45mpg and the wheels are mis-matched but for $1200 even I'm tempted. Besides rust what should we keep an eye out for?

Jump on it, only thing to really be concerned about is rusted rockers, but for that much it's not a big deal unless the rust is non repairable.

Only other thing to keep an eye on is normal used car poo poo. Make sure it has oil in it, no knocks, blah blah you know the deal.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

destructo posted:

RS Products, Trap, and Revlimiter still make custom HVAC panels. You can buy direct from RSP without a broker, so keep that in mind. Its relatively cheap for what you get.

This owns in every way

Sep 23, 2005
uterus puncher ):
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/4877804387.html

Is that much better then? I definitely get the point about never knowing how well people modded their cars, so this seems like a much saner purchase, even if it means spending more later on upgrades that I might want.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
That's a much better car. Given the price of that one, the other one is probably way overpriced and probably should be in the 2000 range.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Definitely get the red NA. Keep in mind that timing belt/water pump should be done every 60-70kish and will cost you around 600-800 at a shop if you don't DIY. Also check out the top, replacements with labor near me are around 1500.

Given that the car pictured has leather and cruise control, it probably also has a LSD. Grab it if you don't notice any glaring problems.

blk fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Feb 5, 2015

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

blk posted:

Definitely get the red NA. Keep in mind that timing belt/water pump should be done every 60-70kish and will cost you around 600-800 at a shop if you don't DIY. Also check out the top, replacements with labor near me are around 1500.

Given that the car pictured has leather and cruise control, it probably also has a LSD. Grab it if you don't notice any glaring problems.

Jesus, do a robbins top yourself over a couple days for a couple hundred bucks. It ain't that hard.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

leica posted:

Jump on it, only thing to really be concerned about is rusted rockers, but for that much it's not a big deal unless the rust is non repairable.

Only other thing to keep an eye on is normal used car poo poo. Make sure it has oil in it, no knocks, blah blah you know the deal.

Cool, wanted to make sure there was no super secret NA issues I'd forgotten about.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

destructo posted:

I love these things so much

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Cool, wanted to make sure there was no super secret NA issues I'd forgotten about.

In the pics it looks like the top is shot, that's 400 bucks right there if you do it yourself.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

leica posted:

In the pics it looks like the top is shot, that's 400 bucks right there if you do it yourself.

Yep, and I'd wonder why the price is so low, and what magic got them 45 mph. Once fishy (in print even, kinda), twice fishy. How long's it been for sale, if if so, why?

But if money and time are not issues go for it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Finally got around to my manual window conversion/speaker enclosure project.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

leica posted:

Finally got around to my manual window conversion/speaker enclosure project.

You converted it to handcranks or from it to motorized?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Converted to manual from power, those are power window regulators I'm flipping off.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

leica posted:

If the rockers are rusted should he pass on it? I know I've seen a lot of rocker rust regret in this thread.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
I could be wrong but ive heard really bad things about life on AGX and KYB. I think I'd just get koni yellows and be done with it. The sale is just around the corner.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Wrar posted:

Why anyone wants lovely factory navigation is beyond me when you can mount an Android tablet/iPad in the car that's 100 times better than garbage systems car manufacturers put in a car.

Better than a lot of aftermarket garbage too. Google maps gets me around rural Japan better than an actual GPS navigation unit programmed in Japan. That's good enough for me!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Having the nav system built-in can be pretty nice, I've used idrive and Command and it's just... nice not having to stick your phone into an ugly holder (let alone carry a separate tablet/device), connect it with a usb cable or shout instructions at it. In the few cases I used them they worked well in terms of routing, though I'm sure overall Waze would do a better job in the long term.

craig588 posted:

Thanks, that would totally explain what's going on. Gonna need to climb in there once it gets warmer and have a look, is this circled part the actuator? I'm having a hard time figuring anything out from the service manual illustrations.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Feb 5, 2015

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

If the rockers are rusted should he pass on it? I know I've seen a lot of rocker rust regret in this thread.

Depends how bad it is, if it looks like the rot has completely disintegrated the rocker then yeah I'd pass on it, otherwise it can be fixed and at that price it's really not a big deal.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Yellow! :neckbeard:

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

drat, I'd love to get one of those brochures to go with my JDM RX-8 brochure. The Japanese market brochures Mazda puts out are always beautifully made.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I think it's just a fan magazine called Roadster.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Throwback yellow but no Mariner Blue? WTF :mad:

It's probably a good thing actually because then I'd have to go into debt :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Wanted smurf blue, will settle for any of the colours that aren't black / gray.