Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

The Slaughter posted:

She can change the ticket to use it at a later date if she's willing to pay the change fee... If it's a non-refundable fare, then the insurance company would really be her only other option.

And by later date, that means all travel completed within a year. And some economy fares don't qualify for changes. https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/traveling-with-us/ticket-changes-refunds/ticket-changes.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

fordan posted:

And by later date, that means all travel completed within a year. And some economy fares don't qualify for changes. https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/traveling-with-us/ticket-changes-refunds/ticket-changes.html

It'd help if we had the exact fare code. For the most likely ones you'll be able to convert it delta credit minus the $200ish change fee. E isn't refundable, Y is full fare and refundable. B and M won't have the change fee.

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.
So with the American regional industry getting hard up for ATPs, anybody think they'd do the leg work to take on a Canadian with an ATPL? I'm still a while away from that (chasing the 500-hr mark as an instructor) and the opportunities up here are either limited or in some god forsaken place north of 60. Its a joke for a Canadian to get a full on standalone FAA equivalent license, but the hurdle has always been the Right to Work in the US requirement - an airline would basically have to be willing to put in a bit of legwork for a work visa, which wouldn't be too hard to prove a need for by the looks of it.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Desi posted:

So with the American regional industry getting hard up for ATPs, anybody think they'd do the leg work to take on a Canadian with an ATPL? I'm still a while away from that (chasing the 500-hr mark as an instructor) and the opportunities up here are either limited or in some god forsaken place north of 60. Its a joke for a Canadian to get a full on standalone FAA equivalent license, but the hurdle has always been the Right to Work in the US requirement - an airline would basically have to be willing to put in a bit of legwork for a work visa, which wouldn't be too hard to prove a need for by the looks of it.

The first place I'd look would be how your license might mesh with the terms of The ATP Law, because God knows there's some stupid, stupid stuff in that reg (i.e., Instrument AND Commercial must be completed Part 141 at an approved college for time credits, with no grandfathering).

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!

CBJSprague24 posted:

The first place I'd look would be how your license might mesh with the terms of The ATP Law, because God knows there's some stupid, stupid stuff in that reg (i.e., Instrument AND Commercial must be completed Part 141 at an approved college for time credits, with no grandfathering).

That only applies if he's trying to get the r-ATP at 1000/1250 hours. If he's shooting for 1500 hours it's no issue.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Desi posted:

Like the thread title says, the pilot shortage in the US is more a case of people not wanting to work for regional poverty wages than an actual shortage of pilots, at least for now.

Since getting a work visa would cost an airline time and money on top of the same pay/benefits they'd have to provide a US citizen, I really can't see any regionals here willing to put in the extra effort and money unless things get significantly more desperate for finding pilots.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone gotten their PPL in northern NJ within the last couple of years? I've saved up enough that so long as my company meets performance goals and I get my bonus, I can finally start lessons - I'm just trying to get solid handles on total costs incurred to make sure I'll be in the right spot.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

MJP posted:

Has anyone gotten their PPL in northern NJ within the last couple of years? I've saved up enough that so long as my company meets performance goals and I get my bonus, I can finally start lessons - I'm just trying to get solid handles on total costs incurred to make sure I'll be in the right spot.

There's no solid total cost. $8k-$14k is a reasonable range to assume, all in (including books, modest set of gear, and the written exam + checkride and medical).

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

DNova posted:

There's no solid total cost. $8k-$14k is a reasonable range to assume, all in (including books, modest set of gear, and the written exam + checkride and medical).

And don't pay any flight school upfront for everything all at once; flight schools aren't exactly the most stable businesses around and people have been burned when their school has gone bankrupt with their training money. I mean, buying blocks of flight time in reasonable chunks sure, a fixed sub-$1k amount for ground school ok (although lots of flight schools tell you to do ground school on your own with books or online/video with King Schools or Sportys).

In South Jersey I passed my checkride with 60 hours of training, and aircraft rental + instructor was like $140 (6 years ago though), so I spent like $8400 on flight training (a bit less since some of it is solo), plus $4-500 for King Schools & Jeppesen books for the written, plus headset, fuel sampler, flight bag, charts, other such aviation gadgets. So I did it probably just shy of $10k. I'd expect it to be a bit more expensive up in North Jersey and nowadays. You might be ready for the checkride closer to the 40 hour minimum, but that's a dangerous thing to assume when budgeting.

havent heard a peep
May 29, 2003

When Steve Jobs died it wasn't the first job I'd lost that week.
hey so my friend is about two weeks out from having his private, intrumental, commercial, and multi-engine license. he only has two-hundred and fifty hours and he's hoping to get into low paying cargo/ pipeline patrol right after graduating. is this feasible or do i need to smack him on the head and get him to get the instructor cert? my concern is that due to the amount of hours on his log that he'll have to spend a year or two slinging pizzas and what not to pay off his student loans and checking planes out to build up his hours before he'll even qualify for the lowest of the low pilot jobs.

havent heard a peep fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Feb 5, 2015

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
He should get the instructor cert, it's possible to get jobs at 250 without it but they're few and far between for sure. its just competitive enough to where they don't usually need someone with 250.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Hey guys, what do you all think of this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-31109732

Essentially talking about reducing separation distances to save money and delays. I'm not a pilot so I'd appreciate some insight from you guys.

I should crosspost this in the ATC thread I guess.

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008

liquidfire posted:

hey so my friend is about two weeks out from having his private, intrumental, commercial, and multi-engine license. he only has two-hundred and fifty hours and he's hoping to get into low paying cargo/ pipeline patrol right after graduating. is this feasible or do i need to smack him on the head and get him to get the instructor cert? my concern is that due to the amount of hours on his log that he'll have to spend a year or two slinging pizzas and what not to pay off his student loans and checking planes out to build up his hours before he'll even qualify for the lowest of the low pilot jobs.

Aerial survey. Some places may start hiring again in May.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

So, the ATR crash in Taipei. One engine auto-feathered, and the crew reacted by immediately shutting down the good engine.

Is anyone here who was an instructor for Chinese indentured servant ab initio students surprised by this? I am not in the slightest.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

Animal posted:

So, the ATR crash in Taipei. One engine auto-feathered, and the crew reacted by immediately shutting down the good engine.

Even worse than that. They didn't "immediately" shut down the good engine, they spent 40-50 seconds dicking around with it doing partial power reductions, and then shut it down ??

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

The pilot is a hero though because his hand was still on the stick when they found his mangled body.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Trying hard: the ultimate measure of success.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.

Animal posted:

Is anyone here who was an instructor for Chinese indentured servant ab initio students surprised by this? I am not in the slightest.

I never taught multi engine, but hearing the horror stories from my MEI friends doesn't shock me. One time at night one student was setting up to land on the lighted street perpendicular to the airport rather than the runway. I guess the cars on the road didn't clue him in?

Anyway, interesting thrust question: the cf34 gets roughly 85% of thrust from bypass air and 15% from core N2, according to my company's training material. What's the approximate pounds on thrust on this? I ask because one of my friends raised the question of whether this in regards to airflow (mass) or pounds thrust (force)? Any RJ drivers/mechanics want to tackle this?

Butt Reactor fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Feb 8, 2015

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
Not sure you're stating the question right. To figure out the pounds of thrust of the bypass flow, you'd simply multiply the pounds of thrust of the engine by .85

edit: Are you saying you're not sure if 85% of thrust comes from the bypass, or 85% of the mass flow goes through the bypass?

vessbot fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Feb 8, 2015

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Mass flow rate percentage and thrust percentage aren't going to be equal, since the core flow gets accelerated more than the bypass flow; the two aren't interchangeable. But yeah since you said you know 85% of thrust comes from bypass, just multiply total engine thrust by .85..

If you want mass flow rates you'd need to know core flow and bypass flow exit velocities and temperatures and probably some other stuff that I've forgotten since I went to college.

edit: and if you are saying you only know that the fraction of mass flow in the bypass is .85 then you'd need the above to properly calculate thrust fractions.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Butt Reactor posted:

I never taught multi engine, but hearing the horror stories from my MEI friends doesn't shock me. One time at night one student was setting up to land on the lighted street [i]perpendicular[i/] to the airport rather than the runway. I guess the cars on the road didn't clue him in?

Perpendicular? How does that work? I can understand parallel, in fact delta has proved that 757s can land on parallel taxiways without a problem!

Speaking of Delta, I'm stuck in Narita for another 4 hour because apparently the incoming flight was struck by lightning and they need to inspect it. I can't decide whether a 3 hour delay seems too long or short for that - what exactly are they checking?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I just had to post something about the 3 hour delay. It's now more like a 14 hour delay.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

hobbesmaster posted:

I just had to post something about the 3 hour delay. It's now more like a 14 hour delay.

Just a guess but: I'd say they're waiting on a replacement for whatever part was struck by lightning. A lightning strike will usually leave a hole or remove part of whatever it hits. Usually it's a wingtip or nose cone or some part that can be replaced quickly but they may be waiting for the part to come in on the next flight from the U.S.

SCOTLAND
Feb 26, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

Probably crew duty issues. Those duty days can't deal with last minute delays.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

SCOTLAND posted:

Probably crew duty issues. Those duty days can't deal with last minute delays.

That makes sense, the delay is even long enough to use the same crew if they timed out.

I liked the passenger complains in the skyclub.
"What you don't have a spare plane?!"
"I've flown between Taipei and Japan 30 times and this has never happened before!"

Agent: "Its delayed until 7am"
Passenger: "you mean the flight is cancelled"

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum
Morning or whatever it is...

If anyone wants to attempt to pick my brains regarding commercial flying please feel free. I am a SFO with a British Carrier currently operating the 757/767 but slated to reconvert to the A320/321 sometime this summer. I still also muck around in light singles in my spare time.

Any questions sling them my way.

hjp766 fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Feb 9, 2015

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

hjp766 posted:

Morning or whatever it is...

If anyone wants to attempt to pick my brains regarding commercial flying please feel free. I am a SFO with a British Carrier currently operating the 757/767 but slated to reconvert to the A320/321 sometime this summer. I still also muck around in light singles in my spare time.

Any questions sling them my way.

Are cockpit doors soundproof and insulated from airflow generally?

If someone was having a loud freakout in first class, would you be able to hear it if you took off your headset?

How do you contact the flight attendants?

As a percentage, how much higher would your fuel burn be if you were flying at 10,000-14,000 feet and at cruise power, compared to flying in the normal flight levels?

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
What are the competitive hiring mins for mil/civ?

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum

DNova posted:

Are cockpit doors soundproof and insulated from airflow generally?

If someone was having a loud freakout in first class, would you be able to hear it if you took off your headset?
Simple answer is no and yes... when the babies kick off in business we love the fact we have a noise cancelling headset on.

All cockpit doors I've encountered have a kick out panel in them for emergencies... the level of airflow that gives varies.

quote:

How do you contact the flight attendants?

Interphone via the same headsets we use for talking to ATC.

quote:

As a percentage, how much higher would your fuel burn be if you were flying at 10,000-14,000 feet and at cruise power, compared to flying in the normal flight levels?

Fuel flow is relatively stable for a given thrust rating at all levels, the difference is in the amount of thrust and speed achieved at the different levels.

We use roughly the same power as a ballpark for all phases once we've climbed up to cruise, and actually slightly less in the pattern and coming in to land.

However, we're doing M0.76-M.82 in the cruise, 240 knots initially in the pattern and between 130-170 knots during approach dependant on how far out we are.

Given we reckon on about 80 kilos of fuel per minute to achieve normal (240kts) speeds at 10000 ft to get LRC (approx. 300 kts) probably add at least 50-70%. We go from about 1.2 EPR to 1.4 or 1.5 EPR which is equivalent to the fuel burn on climb out.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Any Australians in here? Anyone that's got some insight into aviation in Oz?

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Tony Montana posted:

There was an ENROUTE controller answering questions in the ATC thread

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Just had my first go around in a commercial jet. RJ145 on approach to ORD, was passing over 90 when we throttled up and headed back into the cloud. I figured it was a minimums issue but they announced that ATC deemed their separation inadequate.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

PSA is getting 24 more CR9s. Apparently, this will delay at least part of the CR7 transfer from Envoy.

hobbesmaster posted:

That makes sense, the delay is even long enough to use the same crew if they timed out.

I liked the passenger complains in the skyclub.
"What you don't have a spare plane?!"
"I've flown between Taipei and Japan 30 times and this has never happened before!"

Agent: "Its delayed until 7am"
Passenger: "you mean the flight is cancelled"

People are dumbasses when it comes to travel. I got a book about 10 years ago called Air Sick Humor which is sort of a best of of travel morons at their worst.

I'm amazed at the number of "experts" who haven't figured out that the airlines aren't in control of the weather.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Feb 10, 2015

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Is there a postwar aircraft with a worse safety record than the FH-227? Wiki says 23 of the 78 built crashed which seems absolutely ludicrous to me.

edit - I stumbled across this while reading about the cannibal rugby team of movie fame

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

CBJSprague24 posted:

PSA is getting 24 more CR9s. Apparently, this will delay at least part of the CR7 transfer from Envoy.

No word on our side about the delay in the CR7 transfers. I'd like to believe it's real but who knows at this point.

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum

bewbies posted:

Is there a postwar aircraft with a worse safety record than the FH-227? Wiki says 23 of the 78 built crashed which seems absolutely ludicrous to me.

edit - I stumbled across this while reading about the cannibal rugby team of movie fame

I could argue that the Comet is up there...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Havilland_Comet

As noone understood the problems of metal fatigue and the original square picture windows copied from non-pressurized aircraft killed it off, and handed the rest of the world the aircraft industry which had effectively been half dominated by the UK due to being the first successful production jet in respect of actually technology except the window frames!

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Has anyone in here worked as a Part 65 flight dispatcher? I'm going to be looking for a new job soon, and my previous work experience lets me go directly to the exam phase. I'm looking for general info like starting salary, how willing you have to be to move, typical hours, etc.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

hjp766 posted:

As noone understood the problems of metal fatigue and the original square picture windows copied from non-pressurized aircraft killed it off, and handed the rest of the world the aircraft industry which had effectively been half dominated by the UK due to being the first successful production jet in respect of actually technology except the window frames!

Such a beautiful plane though.

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

:australia:

Tony Montana posted:

I got my CPL and MECIR and did ATPL exams in Australia but never went into the industry. Not sure how useful I'll be but ask away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

hjp766 posted:

e.pilot posted:

Such a beautiful plane though.

That was a great way to start the morning, what an interesting read. The cockpit is something straight out of WW2

SeaborneClink posted:

There was an ENROUTE controller answering questions in the ATC thread

I was more looking for pilots to ask them about the path in Oz.

Jon Von Anchovi posted:

I got my CPL and MECIR and did ATPL exams in Australia but never went into the industry. Not sure how useful I'll be but ask away.

Hi :) So where did you train? How much did it cost you? How long did it take you? Any insights into if you did it again, how to do it better? What's it like trying to get a job flying in Australia? Could we put together a bit of a primer on flying in Oz like the great OP these guys have written for the US? Thanks mate

For everyone, this is airing on Aussie TV at the moment and I've found it interesting. If you haven't seen it it's a British series called 'Worst Place to be a Pilot' which almost sounds like a bit of a throw-down to challenge orientated aviation types :) Here is the first episode of the 4th series.. they're all Cessnas and the Caravan is about as big as they get but when you see where they are putting them down and the terrain, that is why the series is interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jFsVRQyhlg

• Locked thread