Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Beef Waifu posted:

Saki was the only one he intentionally murdered, yeah.

He did attempt to murder everyone else thrown in the TV World, though. Directly in the case of Mitsuo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Speaking of Persona story stuff: are we supposed to see Persona 3/4 as taking place in the same continuity as Persona 1/2? Obviously the blue butterflies represent Philemon, but you never actually meet him, there aren't any demons, and personas behave differently. For example, the casts of Persona 3/4 can apparently only use their personas under special circumstances, like the Dark Hour or while in the TV World, while the characters in Persona 1/2 can apparently use their personas anytime, anywhere. (Not to mention how anyone can change personas in Persona 1/2, but only the protagonists in 3/4.)

SMT has a long precedent for multiple universes, so even if they don't take place in the same continuity they're probably in the same multiverse, but I'm still curious.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Harrow posted:

Speaking of Persona story stuff: are we supposed to see Persona 3/4 as taking place in the same continuity as Persona 1/2? Obviously the blue butterflies represent Philemon, but you never actually meet him, there aren't any demons, and personas behave differently. For example, the casts of Persona 3/4 can apparently only use their personas under special circumstances, like the Dark Hour or while in the TV World, while the characters in Persona 1/2 can apparently use their personas anytime, anywhere. (Not to mention how anyone can change personas in Persona 1/2, but only the protagonists in 3/4.)

SMT has a long precedent for multiple universes, so even if they don't take place in the same continuity they're probably in the same multiverse, but I'm still curious.

There are P1/P2 refs in P3 and I think P4.

The difference in abilities can be written off to the different ways they get powers. Even the P3 and P4 casts talk about how their powers are different. P1 and P2 are unlikely to ever be very important again tho'.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Persona users in 1 and 2 got their powers direct from Philemon so every one of them are "wild cards" but Makoto and Yu are the only ones who had even the slightest contact with him through the Velvet Room.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Looks like so to me, especially regarding the whole demon situation. However, the Wild Card being restricted to the MC is a byproduct of Philemon being dormant, iirc.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Iceclaw posted:

He did attempt to murder everyone else thrown in the TV World, though. Directly in the case of Mitsuo.

He was fine with it, he didn't attempt to murder anyone except Mitsuo though.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

They mention the Nanjo group a few times and in P3 they talk about previous Persona characters and what's going on with them if you watch the TV on their birthdays. I agree they'll probably never really matter again which is a shame since it would be cool to have a few references.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The P3 and P4 protag's powers weren't from the Velvet Room, they got to go to the Velvet Room because of their powers. Thanatos and Izanami caused that, as I recall.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Beef Waifu posted:

He knew about the investigation team by that point, right?

E: Why did he stuff Mitsuo in the tv again? Because Mitsuo was trying to take the blame for the murders?

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Feb 4, 2015

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

TheKingofSprings posted:

He knew about the investigation team by that point, right?

I think he probably pieced it together after Yukiko got saved and certainly by the time of the Rise stakeout.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
He knew about pretty much everything for the whole game because he had been keeping tabs on Nametame by the point he kidnapped Yukiko and was more than likely watching them in the TV like everyone else.

He threw Mitsuo in because he was annoyed that he was trying to replicate him. That or he did it for fun, which is his reason for pretty much everything.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Feb 4, 2015

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

The P3 and P4 protag's powers weren't from the Velvet Room, they got to go to the Velvet Room because of their powers. Thanatos and Izanami caused that, as I recall.

Izanami, for her part, is probably the same general kind of being as Philemon and Nyarlathotep, right? She's a manifestation of an aspect of humanity's collective unconscious, just like Philemon and Nyarlathotep, though she seems a lot less powerful. So it'd make sense that she could give the P4MC his Wild Card.

I suppose it's possible that the protagonists from P3 and P4 could have used their personas outside of the Dark Hour/TV World, but it's probably a lot harder. After all, aren't Tartarus and the TV World aspects of the collective unconscious themselves, or at least shaped by it? It's probably a lot easier to use personality-based powers in a pocket world that's explicitly shaped by thoughts and beliefs.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Beef Waifu posted:

Well, he just went and said to Namatame "Oh, hey you can save those people you think are going to die. By dumping them in this super deadly totally safe place." which is kind of attempted murder by proxy.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

pack it the gently caress up other waifuailures

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Iceclaw posted:

Well, he just went and said to Namatame "Oh, hey you can save those people you think are going to die. By dumping them in this super deadly totally safe place." which is kind of attempted murder by proxy.

Yeah, he may not have tried to kill a lot of them himself, but he manipulated another psychologically fragile person into doing it for him. If I'm not mistaken, he also manipulated the situation for Nanako to be in danger, didn't he?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

GimmickMan posted:

Do you guys want to know what Persona songs Japan really, really likes the most? Of course you do.

Where the gently caress is the goddamn Junes theme?! :mad:

That's it, gently caress it, I'm out, I am done with shi-

... nevermind, all is forgiven. :allears:

Harrow posted:

Izanami, for her part, is probably the same general kind of being as Philemon and Nyarlathotep, right? She's a manifestation of an aspect of humanity's collective unconscious, just like Philemon and Nyarlathotep, though she seems a lot less powerful. So it'd make sense that she could give the P4MC his Wild Card.

Actually, she didn't give him the Wild Card; she just gave him the power to enter the TV World, and his initial Persona. The Wild Card was something he already had and she even mentions she hadn't anticipated that his ability to forge such strong bonds would allow him to help others awaken their own Personas.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

W.T. Fits posted:

Where the gently caress is the goddamn Junes theme?! :mad:

I was annoyed that Unbreakable Tie (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAarVmqJwNw) from the PSP version of Innocent Sin wasn't on the list but then I realized it's probably only Persona 3/4 songs.

W.T. Fits posted:

Actually, she didn't give him the Wild Card; she just gave him the power to enter the TV World, and his initial Persona. The Wild Card was something he already had and she even mentions she hadn't anticipated that his ability to forge such strong bonds would allow him to help others awaken their own Personas.

Oh yeah, good point. Her other "chosen ones" don't show any signs of having the Wild Card themselves. Good ol' Fool arcana.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

TheKingofSprings posted:

E: Why did he stuff Mitsuo in the tv again? Because Mitsuo was trying to take the blame for the murders?

Yeah, if the "murderer" was caught then Namatame would stop putting people in the TV world.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
so is the other female lead in dancing all night the other model that is alluded to in p4 while rise is on her break from working?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Harrow posted:

Yeah, he may not have tried to kill a lot of them himself, but he manipulated another psychologically fragile person into doing it for him. If I'm not mistaken, he also manipulated the situation for Nanako to be in danger, didn't he?

I don't think so, anymore than encouraging Namatame in general. Nanako became popular because she was on TV talking to a politician which spurred Namatame into "saving" her. I guess he could have stopped it since he knew what Namatame was doing and it was pretty obvious Nanako was going to be the next target once she showed up on the Midnight Channel.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

hubris.height posted:

so is the other female lead in dancing all night the other model that is alluded to in p4 while rise is on her break from working?

Yes, she's Kanamin or whatever her name was.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Radish posted:

I don't think so, anymore than encouraging Namatame in general. Nanako became popular because she was on TV talking to a politician which spurred Namatame into "saving" her. I guess he could have stopped it since he knew what Namatame was doing and it was pretty obvious Nanako was going to be the next target once she showed up on the Midnight Channel.

I could be mixing up the events of the game with the events of the anime, but I remember him sending the protagonist a threatening note that if they didn't stop rescuing people, the next victim would be someone close to him, and that was before Nanako showed up on the Midnight Channel. But I could easily be misremembering, or maybe it was just an empty threat on the killer's part and pure luck it worked out that way.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Harrow posted:

I could be mixing up the events of the game with the events of the anime, but I remember him sending the protagonist a threatening note that if they didn't stop rescuing people, the next victim would be someone close to him, and that was before Nanako showed up on the Midnight Channel. But I could easily be misremembering, or maybe it was just an empty threat on the killer's part and pure luck it worked out that way.

Yeah the note was a thing but I don't really think it influenced much other than the story writers giving the heroes some actual evidence at the end for Adachi to mess with. His game required the heroes to keep saving people in order for Namatame to keep throwing people in TVs so I'm not sure what the goal of it really was since the first time one of the people thrown in died Namatame would stop.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Y'all are thinking too hard about your anime dating sim.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I think about Yosuke a lot ok??

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Quick let's argue about whether he was justified in his proposed actions in the hospital room.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

So Adachi is a accomplice to murder checked.

He could've just stopped way back when he dropped the drama TV star in the TV in the beginning but instead just let the situation escalate into throwing random HS girls into TVs too. I know in P4:G you can have a SL with him but I honestly would rather not spend time with a sociopath when I can just eat a lot of Rainy Bowls on weekends :v:

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Alder posted:

I know in P4:G you can have a SL with him but I honestly would rather not spend time with a sociopath when I can just eat a lot of Rainy Bowls on weekends :v:

You're horrid, Adachi owns, and is great.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

The Adachi social link is Really Good.

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'
So, here's a new P5 tease -

https://twitter.com/yushi46/status/563094951928807425/photo/1

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

At first glance I thought that was FeMC, but I think it's just the protag. The coloring is kinda weird.

Edit: Just saw the Phantom bit. Anyone know what the rest says? I wonder if P5's gonna have a vigilante theme.

KingEffingFrost
Jul 9, 2011

Extreme corset action!

Is that a corporeal antagonist I spy?

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I expected Goatse, a little disappointed. For real though I'm not sure how I feel about the mask and I hope it doesn't end up like the glasses or the evoker In the other Persona games. It probably doesn't matter anyways because I'll inevitably get used to it but that's my initial thought.

Edit: I still haven't been this excited about a game in years

littleorv fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Feb 4, 2015

asvodel
Oct 10, 2012
I was worried for a second that it was Sho.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

KingEffingFrost posted:

Is that a corporeal antagonist I spy?

i'm pretty sure that's the mc.

Snowcow
Oct 17, 2007

asvodel posted:

I was worried for a second that it was Sho.

I'm pretty sure it is.

E: or not. The hair is pretty different.

Snowcow fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Feb 4, 2015

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

littleorv posted:

I expected Goatse, a little disappointed. For real though I'm not sure how I feel about the mask and I hope it doesn't end up like the glasses or the evoker In the other Persona games. It probably doesn't matter anyways because I'll inevitably get used to it but that's my initial thought.

Edit: I still haven't been this excited about a game in years
I'm expecting the breaking of metaphysical chains to summon personas, but this is the second instance of masks so far. I thought that maybe during the "glitch" in the stream, that thing was a mascot drawing. So maybe that's a calling card, or perhaps a Spookies-like mascot thing the team uses.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Someone post the image in the thread, the Twitter link isn't working on my phone tia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
haha, good image excels, I am also keeping a sharp eye on /v/ for all the latest news about persona 5! :)