Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Have to agree that blanket fire crit is pretty ridiculous at low levels. I mean I get that the game actively tries to severely punish mistakes but getting surprised with max torch level and having your party go from 100% fine to half health and half stress in one shot is pretty dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I did an entire Short Level 3 dungeon at no light and these were the rewards (There was a stack of gold and a few gems I left behind). I don't think they're noticeably better than playing with the Light up high. With the party I outlined in an earlier post it wasn't any harder than normal, and was actually a little faster because of my party's higher crit chance. I don't think it would work as well if you made any radical changes to the lineup.

Lipton Iced Soup
Sep 4, 2011

Menacing
Man gently caress Bone Commanders, just had a one of them finish off my A-team by crit stun locking them to death. Are there any good ways to take these guys down? Their stun resist is high enough that I can't keep them out of the fight while I focus on their buddies, and if I ignore them they stun my guys to death.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Eonwe posted:

I love the actual concept of the leper, but compare him to the bounty hunter or hellion

the hellion can attack up front, do a grapeshot-esque attack, hit the 4th slot with a direct attack, boost her damage, etc

i actually think the hellion is my favorite class when you have a spot in your party but no real plans on what to use, very versatile

Ha. The Leper just kills the first two enemies and then kills the last two. He doesn't need to waste a turn with a damage boost because his damage is insane by default. Lepers are incredible and they are incredibly simple to build for too since they don't have to worry about any resistance bullshit when attacking. It's just a simple to-hit roll and then it's giant red numbers all the way to the end of the dungeon.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
Welp, just got an error message when trying to restore the data after a crash and now my game is super hosed up. It's still Week 11 and I still have all of my gold but all of my heroes are level 0 and their skills are "locked" and I can't do anything

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Unzip and Attack posted:

Have to agree that blanket fire crit is pretty ridiculous at low levels. I mean I get that the game actively tries to severely punish mistakes but getting surprised with max torch level and having your party go from 100% fine to half health and half stress in one shot is pretty dumb.

Yeah, I expect Blanket Fire to be toned down a little because those crits are nuts even when you know what you're doing. My first (and still only) full party wipe involved an enounter with two of those bandit gunners and three crits in a row.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
Leper owns and he is basically a cornerstone for my team. I have him and a Hellion in my A-Team and they basically can obliterate any row at any given time and it is great

Also I feel bad for him having leprosy so I send him only to the Brothel to relieve stress so he can at least feel some sort of affection, if only fleeting

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

DatonKallandor posted:

Ha. The Leper just kills the first two enemies and then kills the last two. He doesn't need to waste a turn with a damage boost because his damage is insane by default. Lepers are incredible and they are incredibly simple to build for too since they don't have to worry about any resistance bullshit when attacking. It's just a simple to-hit roll and then it's giant red numbers all the way to the end of the dungeon.

Yeah that's the thing, when the leper misses it sucks but once you upgrade his accuracy hit hits like a loving truck.

Then again my Hellions are putting out absolutely absurd damage numbers while managing to hit every one of their attacks, having AOE options, and also the ability to stun.

Hellion party best party.

You know what? gently caress it. I'm gonna try rolling a party of 4 Hellions. :black101:

MotU posted:

Also I feel bad for him having leprosy so I send him only to the Brothel to relieve stress so he can at least feel some sort of affection, if only fleeting

Sympathy for your leper but no sympathy for the poor whores you've just given leprosy to?! :stonk:

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
You know, I'm having a lot of fun with this game at the moment, but I'm a bit worried about the longevity of it.
Every dungeon is very similar to any other, all the loot you find is fairly generic, and since you can just pick and choose abilities for all your guys, every game is going to end up being relatively same-y. I'm not really seeing any attachment to any of my characters either, since they are all basically the same.

We'll see how it ends up being when the game is fully finished and released, but as it stands, I'm not really seeing a reason to play the game over again once you've finished it once.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Feb 4, 2015

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Zaphod42 posted:

Sympathy for your leper but no sympathy for the poor whores you've just given leprosy to?! :stonk:

When the whores can 1 shot bandits then they can have my sympathy

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Ugh, game keeps crashing my computer. Can't get through a dungeon without a crash right now. Seems to happen mostly at the start of fights.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
if you asked me: "is it crashy?"

I certainly couldn't say "nope!"

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I read HA's guide and now I've cleared 2 quests without losing a single man

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Arnold of Soissons posted:

if you asked me: "is it crashy?"

I certainly couldn't say "nope!"

Post less like dumb retard

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

MotU posted:

When the whores can 1 shot bandits then they can have my sympathy

Note the whores do not kick you out for syphilis.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Note the whores do not kick you out for syphilis.

Haha yeah, I assumed that Syphilis would be the "cannot use the brothel in town" trait. Nope!

Money's hard to come by :smith:

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
They use condoms, it's a clean and legitimate business.

Apple2o
Mar 25, 2009

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 9 years!)

Unzip and Attack posted:

Have to agree that blanket fire crit is pretty ridiculous awesome at low levels.

MORTALITY CLARIFIED IN A SINGLE STRIKE!

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

S.J. posted:

TotalBiscuit is now streaming the game.
Holy poo poo he is a blind idiot.
Nothing new there, it's whether you find him entertaining. Liked the few I watched more than other youtube superstars

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

If it makes you feel better, it's really hard to contract leprosy.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

My battle nun developed a case of nymphomania. :stonklol:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

paranoid randroid posted:

If it makes you feel better, it's really hard to contract leprosy.

I just checked this and you're right. That's weird then that lepers are sent off to leper colonies if its not contagious, but I guess that has more to do with the social stigma.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Waffle! posted:

My battle nun developed a case of nymphomania. :stonklol:

A good battle nun

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
I had a real fun run with two highwaymen up front, both with Point-Blank Shot. Every fight would end up as a do-si-do between the Highwaymen Bros as they just blasted away at whatever poor schmuck was in the front position.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Welp finally got a guy killed on like my 6th mission or something. I kept trying to do "easy" ones because I'm stuck in a cycle where all my guys are stressed and whoever I bring into the dungeon gets even more stressed. I still barely got through them and this one finally forced me to retreat. Sucks because I lost my best guy due to the Jester I recruited not being able to hit a goddamn thing.

Not being able to heal outside of combat is odd though. Makes me feel like the optimal way to play is to prolong combat against one enemy while a priest heals, which seems scummy.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

Not being able to heal outside of combat is odd though. Makes me feel like the optimal way to play is to prolong combat against one enemy while a priest heals, which seems scummy.

I sent a tweet about this exact issue to the devs, they said they're aware of it (stun destress/heal repeatedly), just waiting for all the release fallout to shake out before they start tinkering.

Darkn1o
Jun 12, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

Hellion party best party.

You know what? gently caress it. I'm gonna try rolling a party of 4 Hellions. :black101:

Not even a joke. I think 3 Hellions + 1 Vestal is probably the best general loadout party. Hellions can attack every row from almost any position. Benefits include:

1) Completely ignoring enemy positioning as Hellions can hit enemies in any position.
2) Mostly ignoring your own, except Vestal being in one of the back two slots. Ambushes won't hurt much.
3) 2nd highest damage in the game, only slightly worse than Leper.
4) 2nd highest accuracy in the game, only slightly worse than Grave Robber.
5) High survivability (Good balance of high HP and high Dodge)
6) Best class trinkets (No negative effects)
7) No buffs necessary, though her own buff can also remove bleed and poison.

As a side note, can someone check the JSON files to see if characters can have more than 7 positive quirks or if they start getting replaced? I don't think my characters have more than 7 or they were already replaced. I don't want my characters to lose their +accuracy quirks.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

It feels a little bad, yeah, but it is how the game is balanced and intended to be played.

That said, people have talked in this thread before of stalling combat to heal, and that is an effective tactic. And this isn't the first RPG ever that worked that way.

Thing is, if I was the game developer and I wanted to do something to prevent that as an exploit, I'd add a mechanic where if you stall without doing damage to the opponent for too many turns, more enemies show up. And that'd be pretty brutal. So I'm more okay with it as-is, just don't exploit it if you don't like that.

Taking no healer at all is a totally viable tactic, so its not like its necessary.

Darkn1o posted:

As a side note, can someone check the JSON files to see if characters can have more than 7 positive quirks or if they start getting replaced? I don't think my characters have more than 7 or they were already replaced. I don't want my characters to lose their +accuracy quirks.

I can try to investigate this after work, but its reverse engineering however you go about it. That kind of value could be hard-coded somewhere, or it could be hidden in a file in a folder in a folder in a folder that doesn't seem like it'd be related to character quirk values or something. Still, worth a shot.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Maybe give diminishing returns to stuns.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

S.J. posted:

Actually yeah, that's smarter. Rather than combating delayed-healing itself, just combat the ability to stall indefinitely in the first place.

And diminishing returns on status effects are pretty common in RPGs (for this very reason)

That does make an already difficulty game harder, though, with the side-effect of making you unable to stunlock one enemy during a big fight, which feels fair to me (if not resisted).

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Internet Kraken posted:

You can force feed people food for heals.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

S.J. posted:

Or heals. Maybe track how much damage you take in a fight and always let you heal at least that much so healing repeatedly in fights that are legitimately long works, but healing falloff would be good in my opinion.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I've done a few short dungeons and a medium one so far. I've tried some combos and feel like the hellion is crazy good. Stunning while your vestal heal owns. Leper out front is really good too because hew does a lot of damage and he's pretty beefy. Overall I would like to try leper, hellion, vestal, bard. Keeping sanity is pretty damned difficult. Can't really afford to go send your guys off on trips unless they're good. Most of my guys are stacked with tons of debilitating quirks. Feels bad man.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me

S.J. posted:

How about making it so that monsters (maybe even adventurers as well) gain additional stun resistance when they come out of stun that stacks on their base resist? Maybe 10-25% each time or something.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I understand why I can't send level 3+ characters in to level 1 quests, but that restriction should be lifted for boss quests! :(

Also now that I'm in to level 5 dungeons, if I were to revise my class tier list it would look almost completely different from how it did before:

God Tier:
Grave Digger

A Tier:
Highwayman
Jester
Vestal

B Tier:
Crusader
Hellion

Don't Bother Tier:
Leper
Bounty Hunter
Plague Doc
Occultist (unless you don't have a Vestal)

Grave Diggers, Highwaymen, and Jesters are so ridiculously good after you level them up a couple times that the other classes can't compare. Dodge and crit are extremely valuable once you start getting in to later dungeons. They take less damage than other classes and have lower HP in exchange, which makes healing easier. They survive better in Death's Door, they're unaffected by being Surprised, they take less Stress damage and the constant stream of crits means all four of them are healing each other's stress all the time - you basically stop using stress removal facilities with this party. Their damage is comparable to other classes at worst and better in most situations.

A party made of other classes can (and will!) still be successful but it's a much more harrowing and time-consuming expedition.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Feb 5, 2015

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Phyresis posted:

How about making it so that monsters (maybe even adventurers as well) gain additional stun resistance when they come out of stun that stacks on their base resist? Maybe 10-25% each time or something.

In a turn based game, that's what diminishing returns would already be.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
I beat the necromancer with a highwayman, crusader, vestal and jester. I got some lucky crits and stunned him 2 or 3 times, which helped a lot. I didn't get to use holy lance much because no one was in the back rows most of the time. Point blank is baller though.

I also sent out a party of level 0 scrubs with no supplies - 2 plague doctors, a vestal and hellion - they managed to get 3k of gold before one of the docs died and I called it quits. Fired them all because gently caress paying to heal your stress.

edit: I really hit critical hits that only do low damage but freak your guys out. When the mushroom guys do escape cloud and crit for 2 points of damage, my party should not be freaking out for 10 points of stress each.

clockworkjoe fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Feb 5, 2015

Apple2o
Mar 25, 2009

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 9 years!)

drat I just got my A-team wrecked by the swine prince. I thought he would stop enraged smashing everyone if I just finished off the little one really quick. He delivered 3 deathblows in one turn.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I got to week 10 not losing a man, but just steadily ran out of cash.

Haha, my Crusader turned Irrational when his stress peaked, and then when my Plague Doctor missed an attack he said in all caps, "I JUDGE THEE MENTALLY INCOMPETENT."

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Feb 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009
Question for those who've got that far - are the bosses distinct or are they palette swaps/buffed versions of each other? I was a bit dubious when I saw 'Apprentice Necromancer - Necromancer - Master Necromancer'.