Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

KoB posted:

Because youre too dumb to remember a password :confused:

Retrieving a lost password is possibly one of the easiest things on the planet. God drat.

Jesus Christ you're retarded.

I remember when we used to dis the Starbound forums, not embrace them. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I can re-upload it for you.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Turtlicious posted:

Thank you. I mostly wanted to try this out and see if the mods made the game worth playing.

EDIT: The game crashes to desktop when I try to start a new game. :geno:

GenderSelectScreen fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Feb 5, 2015

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Turtlicious posted:

I really hope you put it on rapidshare after an adfly.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
Doesn't matter anyways. Game refuses to want me to play it so gently caress it. Uninstalling it once more.

I'll give it another go in a year.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Man it takes like what, a minute to register an account to download the linked mod? Why would you need to interact with anyone in their forum to do that?

In actual chat, use picks more as a consumable mining boost than your general tool. Generally I use them for rock and ore, anything besides that tends to just get MM'd. Honestly, they should just literally turn them into mining boosts, so you'd build a copper augment or silver augment, and have it boost your MM by however much for however long.

stuntwaffle
Mar 7, 2007

I wish Starbound was a dick so I could put it in my ass and mouth!

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Doesn't matter anyways. Game refuses to want me to play it so gently caress it. Uninstalling it once more.

I have this problem, as well,,

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

ZypherIM posted:

Man it takes like what, a minute to register an account to download the linked mod? Why would you need to interact with anyone in their forum to do that?

I just figured there'd be a mod for goons since it's a goon mod. Like the prismatic mod. Doesn't matter either way now though.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Are you having an error on start up?

One of those mods linked earlier in the thread that adds more blocks had invalid Json files everywhere that was causing the game to crash so I had to remove it.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Hey, I'm glad everyone liked the mod! Please forgive the longpost in advance while I cover the response.

ZypherIM posted:

Is it possible to tinker with big town/dungeon spawning stuff? I'm imaging a mod that tweaks up chances for certain races in certain biomes. Something like more likely to get a floran dungeon/city in a jungle world, or avian on a desert. Depending on how the code is setup, having each thing put on a planet make another less likely to be placed would probably also be good, if only so you don't get like 5 penal colonies in a row too often.
It should be possible, yes. As an example, here's something you might find on the top of a planet's definition:
code:
    "alien" : {
      "threatRange" : [4, 4],
      "layers" : {
        "surface" : {
          "primaryRegion" : [ "alien" ],
          "secondaryRegion" : [ "eyepatch" ],
          "dungeonCountRange" : [0, 2],
          "dungeons" : [ "glitchsewer", "apexresearchlab", "apextestchamber", "aviantomb"...
This is the definition of an Alien-type planet. You can see a few easily visible variables: for instance, threat range is always 4, primary biome is alien, and secondary biome is eyepatch. 0-2 dungeons/towns are present per planet, and the list of which ones show up is there too. You could theoretically just replace all the dungeon listings per-planet, so that certain towns and dungeons only showed up on certain planet types, but that's sort of the opposite of what I've been trying to do. Alternately, you could make new planet types (possibly bound to new star types, like I did) and make those guaranteed to have a settlement. So you could for instance make a new planet that's just like a desert planet, but has a dungeon range of 1-1 or 1-2, and only the avian village, then label the planet type as "Avian Colony", so it would show up on the planet reading from the cockpit and you'd know what to expect. That method should be pretty feasible.

ZypherIM posted:

I think I'd like to see at least the major biome listed in the planet description, if not the sub-biome.
Unfortunately, mixing the biomes was a simple addition but it's universal between planet types. The "Prismatic Planet" has this field:
code:
"primaryRegion" : [ "alien", "barren", "desert", "forest"...],
I don't think any unmodded planet type in the game gives this field more than one entry. By doing that myself, it means prism planets can have any of these biomes, but there's no way to weight or distinguish them. So all prism planets have to have the same description.
The alternative is to create a copy of the prism planet field for every one of these primary biomes and give them different names. That would be easily possible, but it would take a while. Maybe I'll do that at some point. I've already done that with the ocean type planets, just because they don't get paired with hollow earth biomes very well.

(Yes that's an entire underwater world)

Tenbux McGee posted:

You, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar. Hollow worlds looks rather interesting, assuming its not too common. Definitely running this when I get the chance.

Would all this biome trickery fix the problem normal worlds have where the same "mini-dungeon" (more like mini-shack) repeats constantly across a world at roughly the same depth?
Also how does the mix-and-match leaf system affect saplings? Do you get what that "base" tree would have been, or are saplings procedurally generated to keep the randomly picked leaf type? Or do they not drop saplings at all?
Unfortunately due to the way the biomes are picked, I can't tweak the rarity of hollow worlds. It uses the same system as above, with arrays, so the subsurface picks randomly from the list.
What I could do, again, is make a new category of planet that's "Prismatic Hollow" or "Prismatic Sunken Ocean" and make that more rare, then remove the ability for standard prism planets to have those features. That's probably the route I'll go, once I have more time. Only downside is it ruins the surprise of plunging into a lava ocean halfway down a cave. :getin:
I'm not sure about minibiomes, which is what those buried outposts and things are. I could look into it though.
As for saplings, they work perfectly from what I've found. They're tied into spawning so you can get fully functional saplings for the impossible trees that generate.

ZypherIM posted:

Played a bit more, didn't notice any other biome transitions that were wonky like oceans. However, Vib did you up settlement spawn rate? I was having 2-3 per planet, which felt a tad excessive. Actually, it might have been ok, but I would walk through a glitch town, 2 screens into a florian town, and then 2 screens past that an avian tomb. If they were evenly spread about the planets it probably wouldn't have felt as weird.

This is probably more of the base game, but is there a way to show difficulty numerically, so it would be something like "Mostly Harmless (1)", or "Insane (7)"? Just asking because after about extreme I really can't keep straight what is more dangerous than what.
Oh, actually I did. I did it for testing and forgot to bump it down. Standard is 0-2, I set mine to 1-3. I'll tone it back down in the next release.
As for numerical difficulty, that's just how the standard game handles it. If I can find where that's defined, I might tweak it in a standalone mod.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

So, Vib, if CF asked to incorporate everything you've done into the game-proper, would you be cool with that?
Absolutely.
I didn't even really write anything new, I just made a new planet type that pulls from basically every pool. I like the variety in the game but it seemed a shame so much of it was bound to tiers and paired biomes. Plus, any time you wanted a particular difficulty, you were forced to pick from a few narrow biomes because of the threat level. Now I get to experience more of that diversity. So yeah, I'd love to see wildcard stars like this in vanilla, if they ever wanted to add something like that.
They'd probably do it better than me at least.

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007
I would really like a design-your-own-planet mod at the endgame. Some kind of Genesis Device that lets you pick the biome, tree types, creature types, weather, background, etc and create a planet.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
And to pick the creatures and plants, you actually have to bring captured creatures and saplings you've gathered.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

pwnyXpress posted:

I would really like a design-your-own-planet mod at the endgame. Some kind of Genesis Device that lets you pick the biome, tree types, creature types, weather, background, etc and create a planet.

This was my favorite part about Spore: all the creative availability you had. Too bad there wasn't a good game with it. Kinda the opposite of Starbound actually. :v:

Either way, making planets that had stuff like blue grass and purple water would be cool.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

G.E.C.K. endgame would own

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Vib Rib posted:

Oh, actually I did. I did it for testing and forgot to bump it down. Standard is 0-2, I set mine to 1-3. I'll tone it back down in the next release.
As for numerical difficulty, that's just how the standard game handles it. If I can find where that's defined, I might tweak it in a standalone mod.
Where is the option for this in the files?

Also I notice dungeonCountRange is [0, 0] in the terrestrial_worlds.config.patch for many of the entries, I assume that isn't intentional?

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

I'm liking a lot of the new stuff they put in, but GODDAMN is the new boss painfully unfun. Probably wouldn't be nearly as bad if I didn't have to go through the entire dungeon each goddamn time, or if falling from the top of the boss arena to the bottom didn't one-shot you.

... Anyone made a zero-fall-damage mod yet? That seems like it'd be a major improvement, like Glowing Ores.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

I haven't gotten any feedback on if it was poo poo or not, but at the top of page 19 I posted the run down of how I prep/get-to the boss. It should only take a minute or two to get back to the boss. For the fight itself I trigger the bottom left switch at the start, then move clockwise the entire time. Parry when I have to cross a beam, heal every time you get hurt. Basically the only time I die on it anymore is when I accidentally side dash and travel through 4 different beams and insta-gib myself.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Inverness posted:

Where is the option for this in the files?
Also I notice dungeonCountRange is [0, 0] in the terrestrial_worlds.config.patch for many of the entries, I assume that isn't intentional?
Example:
code:
    "savannah" : {
      "threatRange" : [3, 3],
          "primaryRegion" : [ "savannah" ],
          "secondaryRegion" : [ "colourful", "bones" ],
The last entry is the one. That's in terrestrial_worlds.config. It shows up for basically every planet type.
The reason it's 0 for several prismatic planets is that they're oceans and don't play well with dungeons or towns in my experience.

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

... Anyone made a zero-fall-damage mod yet? That seems like it'd be a major improvement, like Glowing Ores.
There's a tech for it. Bubble bounce or something. It makes the boss a cakewalk.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

ZypherIM posted:

I haven't gotten any feedback on if it was poo poo or not, but at the top of page 19 I posted the run down of how I prep/get-to the boss. It should only take a minute or two to get back to the boss. For the fight itself I trigger the bottom left switch at the start, then move clockwise the entire time. Parry when I have to cross a beam, heal every time you get hurt. Basically the only time I die on it anymore is when I accidentally side dash and travel through 4 different beams and insta-gib myself.

Nah it was good, I think everyone skipped over it because it was a bunch of words and we've all conditioned ourselves to be one-line shitposters from Starbound thread #1.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Vib Rib posted:

There's a tech for it. Bubble bounce or something. It makes the boss a cakewalk.

I know, and I appreciate it for planned jumps into the abyss (not that I've got to use it much yet), but my reflexes are just a little too slow to activate it mid-fall when I miss a platform. Thanks for the suggestion, though!

edit: Why do the beams on the third stage not even match up to where their graphics are!?! Is that really so much to ask?

Random Asshole fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Feb 5, 2015

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Beams hosed up on third stage is something that happens every time since last patch. Before it was kind of mixed for me. The key is there is a safe spot right above and right below the boss. If you're going clockwise, you hit the cannon, the left two switches, and stop at the top and you should still be at 1/3-1/2 HP. Heal up with bandages and water if you have it, then go do the right side. The boss should also stop the lasers to summon a dude sometime during that part, hit the cannon to kill him and sword off the flesh guy.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Vib Rib posted:

Example:
code:
    "savannah" : {
      "threatRange" : [3, 3],
          "primaryRegion" : [ "savannah" ],
          "secondaryRegion" : [ "colourful", "bones" ],
The last entry is the one. That's in terrestrial_worlds.config. It shows up for basically every planet type.
The reason it's 0 for several prismatic planets is that they're oceans and don't play well with dungeons or towns in my experience.
Cool. I have to say I really like how this whole modding thing was set up for the data files. The level of granularity allowed with mods is impressive and makes it much easier to combine mods than with the Elder Scrolls games for example.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
OR cheat yourself some Titanium armor.

I know it's early access, but once you cheat, you pretty much lose the will to keep going, if you can just create everything. Still, I think upgrading the Matter Manipulator to the fullest is the best thing to do.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

To be fair, the first time I was on that boss, I didn't know about the shortcut and after about the 3rd time through I just did /admin, which makes you immune to damage, ran through and turned it off after beating him.

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10
So... how do you repair your FTL drive? I went to the outpost bought the crystals and when I got back to my ship the AI said I didn't have the necessary materials, what am I missing?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

I'm liking a lot of the new stuff they put in, but GODDAMN is the new boss painfully unfun. Probably wouldn't be nearly as bad if I didn't have to go through the entire dungeon each goddamn time, or if falling from the top of the boss arena to the bottom didn't one-shot you.

No fall damage is a rather simple change, it turns out. Here you go.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9dsckbz8scltcu6/NoFallDamage.zip?dl=0

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Space ship chat.

I love the style of the Apex equipment and furniture overall, but I just hate the awkward diamond spread of their ship upgrades if the wiki and old info is to be believed.

http://starbounder.org/Ship_Upgrade

While the Novakid space train is incredibly samey by comparison to anything else, at least you can't theoretically trap yourself in a worst case "I don't even have dirt blocks in my inventory" scenario. I don't give the Avian ship as much as a hard time because "I need to install some stairs to reach the floor above me" doesn't feel as dumb as "I need to install stairs to escape the basement help." Not end of the world, it's just one of those little :spergin: useless details you think about.

Alone, in the depths of space. You have fallen into your ship's bottom floor and can't get out. Forever. (because you are to stupid to remember you can teleport from anywhere inside your ship).

Also, while the times I've poked at the game have been vanilla+glowing ores so far, all you guys making these sweet QoL and just for fun mods are doing great :3:

robziel posted:

So... how do you repair your FTL drive? I went to the outpost bought the crystals and when I got back to my ship the AI said I didn't have the necessary materials, what am I missing?

Dig down and do not stop until you see reddish crystals. Dig up 20 of those planet core crystals or whatever the hell they call them. You don't have to go all the way down to the lava, at least in my case (was close though).

EDIT: Okay, correction. Vanilla + glowing ores + no fall damage. Yes I have the bouncy tech why do you ask :downs:

Also I am dumb and do not know the difference between "Fix FTL" and "Fix ship at all"

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Feb 5, 2015

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

robziel posted:

The Liquid Echirus Crystals in the shop at the outpost are fuel, not the objective of the quest. Talk to the AI and check the Missions tab, you'll get the crystals you need at the end of the Echirus Mining Facility mission.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

robziel posted:

Chances are you bought liquid fuel, not crystals. You have to do a mission to get the crystals.

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10
Ahhh drat it, I sure did thanks. I'm assuming the mission is somewhere in the outpost? I didn't see anything that had an available quest

I know when I find it it's going to have been someone really obvious and I'm going to feel dumb.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
So hey, Prismatic Stars update! :woop:

First off, I've retooled the planets. Planets have 0-2 dungeons now instead of 1-3 so they shouldn't feel so crowded. Also, I didn't realize I hadn't done this already, but I added every possible dungeon type to these planets. Certain ones (like the 'generic' scifi-style dungeon) wouldn't show up. Now you can find anything!
I've also separated hollow/sunken ocean planets into their own types. Prismatic planets are now solid (though they can have a variety of subsurfaces, including moonlike or desertlike). But you may also find planets like these:

They have the same composition of biomes, dungeons, etc. The only difference is that Hollow prism planets are "land of the lost" style hollow earth biomes beneat the surface. This means you could potentially have up to 3 major biomes per planet! For instance, a desert and a volcano up above and a lush garden underneath. Sunken ocean prism planets don't have biomes underneath, just huge "ocean floor" style sunken lakes/oceans. Might be dangerous!

I've also added custom graphics, which are really lazy but whatever.

On the starmap, they shift hue as they twinkle!

Grab the new version here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/euhkf3kp2jey08r/Prismatic%20Stars.rar?dl=0
As always, let me know if there's any problems!

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Feb 5, 2015

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
e: ^^^ This is awesome, keep up the good work.

robziel posted:

Ahhh drat it, I sure did thanks. I'm assuming the mission is somewhere in the outpost? I didn't see anything that had an available quest

Once you do the Bug Hunt quest from someone in the outpost, a bunch of other quests in the outpost open up. One of them tells you to get a full suit of steel armor, and then after you complete that you get the quest that sends you to the mining facility.

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

Pakled posted:

Once you do the Bug Hunt quest from someone in the outpost, a bunch of other quests in the outpost open up. One of them tells you to get a full suit of steel armor, and then after you complete that you get the quest that sends you to the mining facility.

Silly me I thought it would be available from the start, thanks! I'm off on a bug hunt.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Turtlicious posted:

Hey guys I tweaked the cave gen a bunch more and so I'm looking for feedback again.

http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/morecaves.2484/

Let me know if this fixes the issue with big gaping chasms appearing in your worlds. (I may bring back the gaping chasm thing for tentacle worlds.)

i will never test this because giant chasms is the best. only scum want them gone :colbert:

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

gently caress WHAT HAS THIS THREAD TURNED INTO.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Found a banjo. Decided to try to whip up an ABC song to test custom creation. It plays fine in the player, but Starbound itself completely ignores the tempo notation and plays it assgratingly slowly.

Someone on the CF forums posted some kind of ABC editor to get things working (which is pretty stupid since tempo is part of the abc notation specs and why would it not respect that?) but it hasn't been updated for Upbeat Giraffe so none of the instruments show up.

What the hell.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Pop and Loch Nessy posted:

Give it a little longer, I can feel the walls beginning to give.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

bbcisdabomb posted:

If I install a mos, do I have to create a whole new universe to use it? I'd like to use that My Starbound Crew mod but o don't want to have to hunt all around to just see of it's working.

I gave this mod a try, and it seems pretty good. You get easy access to a lot of stuff that's usually a pain in the rear end to get, and as many quests as you can stomach. Also it gives core fragments a use! :aaa:

Also those floating backslot robots? KEI I think it is? They're all sprite versions of mags from PSO, given different names. :shepface:

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Vib Rib posted:

Unfortunately due to the way the biomes are picked, I can't tweak the rarity of hollow worlds. It uses the same system as above, with arrays, so the subsurface picks randomly from the list.
What I could do, again, is make a new category of planet that's "Prismatic Hollow" or "Prismatic Sunken Ocean" and make that more rare, then remove the ability for standard prism planets to have those features. That's probably the route I'll go, once I have more time. Only downside is it ruins the surprise of plunging into a lava ocean halfway down a cave. :getin:

Can't you just disguise it, give it the exact same description as normal prismatic world?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Pop and Loch Nessy posted:

Afraid of Audio posted:

Give it a little longer, I can feel the walls beginning to give.

Chucklefish will have to step their update game up a bit or yeah, we'll get a thread much like last time

Which is fine with me, I said it before but feel free to say whatever about the game just don't be rude to each thanks in advance

• Locked thread