Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Bedlamdan posted:

Meanwhile, I still don't understand how to handle a new player joining a fight already in progress with 2E ticks. I was convinced the rules were somewhere in the book, but I couldn't find it. Does anyone know? I'd just keep making new rules of my own while fumbling for it. I'm sorry if I sound stupid, but.

Off the top of my head, I think they had to roll Join Battle, and they'd get their first turn 6-(successes) ticks from when they appeared.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Denim Avenger
Oct 20, 2010

Excelente

Ferrinus posted:

Have you ever used them?

I haven't actually read the combat rules yet, but I'm pretty sure you still get an action no matter what happens to your initiative - you just go dead last. The greatest amount of extra action fuckery available, Charms aside, is going after someone and stealing so much initiative from them in the process that you go ahead of them next round, effectively granting yourself a double turn.

Right, I should have been clearer, you lose access to some of your poo poo if you get dropped to 0 or negative initiative. Obviously haven't seen it in action, but my first thought is that it sounds hellish to come back from.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Ferrinus posted:

Have you ever used them?

Yes, I have, both as an ST and a player, and while I can find plenty of flaws with 2E Exalted, I still liked the tick system.

It gave a tangible benefit to smaller, faster weapons(rather than just "you go first in a round but everyone still gets the exact same number of actions, so it doesn't really matter much unless you somehow one-shot an enemy in the first round," like in more standard init mechanics) and after everyone had rolled the initial Join Battle, there was pretty much no maths or calculating associated with it. You just kept track on a piece of paper of what tick the fight was on and where everyone was. When someone did something, they called out their speed rating so you knew how far ahead to move them...

I'm not going to say that the actual numbers involved were necessarily all perfect, there were probably a dozen ways to break the system to get fifty actions for your opponent's one, because this is loving Exalted, but the basic system I legitimately liked.

So, really, what bugged you about them? Because it's not immediately obvious to me.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
There was an absolute assload of stuff to keep track of, even once you started using time-saving measures like the "battle wheel". Instead of tracking a turn order, you had to track everyone's next tick of motion and then go like okay, tick 11, anyone? 12, anyone? 13, anyone? Except of course people could move their speed on each tick, which could sometimes matter, so you'd sometimes end up tracking who goes where even on all the ticks on which no one acts. And some effects were tick-independent while others were turn-dependent, so occasionally the guy with the dagger would be taking more damage from the rain of fire than the guy with the axe. In general, the "your turns are individually shittier but you get to take more of them" is a terrible balancing mechanism because even if you do get it right, and they didn't, you still end up with one player gobbling up more playtime than another.

Now, granted, if I had to remove only one bad thing from 2E combat I would remove flurries/split actions/multiple attacks before I removed ticks, but ticks amounted to a massive amount of extra effort for the same return you'd get by just, for example, giving "Light" weapons high accuracy and "heavy" weapons high damage.

Ferrinus fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Feb 5, 2015

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Ferrinus posted:

There was an absolute assload of stuff to keep track of, even once you started using time-saving measures like the "battle wheel". Instead of tracking a turn order, you had to track everyone's next tick of motion and then go like okay, tick 11, anyone? 12, anyone? 13, anyone? Except of course people could move their speed on each tick, which could sometimes matter, so you'd sometimes end up tracking who goes where even on all the ticks on which no one acts. And some effects were tick-independent while others were turn-dependent, so occasionally the guy with the dagger would be taking more damage from the rain of fire than the guy with the axe. In general, the "your turns are individually shittier but you get to take more of them" is a terrible balancing mechanism because even if you do get it right, and they didn't, you still end up with one player gobbling up more playtime than another.

And yet infinitely less painful than the new one looks like.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

MonsieurChoc posted:

Shuffling initiative order around is not as bad as not shuffling initiative order around, but here's what it's less bad than: ticks.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

MonsieurChoc posted:

Could you break down what is painful, precisely? The most confusion came from shifting turn orders, but so long as you're diligent in keeping score, you always know who goes when and how dangerous they might be.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
Maybe I just never played enough 2E Exalted to really encounter those broken parts, or my ST's were clever enough to avoid introducing them any more than they had to, but none of that feels like my experiences with the tick system. And even then, the basic mechanic seems less the problem, than the stupid things they put on top of that basic mechanic, like mixing turn- and tick-dependent effects. Some players getting more screentime than others out of it, though, I can agree with that being a legitimate complaint if, say, the slower characters' players are already getting a bit muscled out by someone with a speedy character who loves the limelight, or something. Otherwise it seems pretty minor.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

It does not seem "pretty minor" to me that the guy with the dagger gets to take twice as many turns as the guy with the axe, nor that even for the purposes of adjudicating a fight between only those two people the ST would have to keep track of three separate, changing numbers rather than just who's next.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

PurpleXVI posted:

Maybe I just never played enough 2E Exalted to really encounter those broken parts, or my ST's were clever enough to avoid introducing them any more than they had to, but none of that feels like my experiences with the tick system. And even then, the basic mechanic seems less the problem, than the stupid things they put on top of that basic mechanic, like mixing turn- and tick-dependent effects. Some players getting more screentime than others out of it, though, I can agree with that being a legitimate complaint if, say, the slower characters' players are already getting a bit muscled out by someone with a speedy character who loves the limelight, or something. Otherwise it seems pretty minor.

Ticks were bad because they were pure, raw, unadulterated action economy bullshit in the most obvious and game-smashingly terrible way. Two Three Tick actions beat one six tick action for the simple reason that you're acting twice you dumbass, and both of those three-tick actions could be a magic flurry of six attacks. There is no balance to 'I get more actions than you without any cost' except giving those actions a chance to fail outright, so that roughly speaking the amount of actions available remains the same. 2e did not do this, and thus there was no actual mechanical incentive to use anything but the lightest possible weapon you could find, and, if you were not playing with errata, to always take the Hearthstone that could push your attacks to go below three ticks of speed. If you cannot grok this maybe you should not critique any system because you have severe issues with understanding what works and what doesn't in game design.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Bedlamdan posted:

Could you break down what is painful, precisely? The most confusion came from shifting turn orders, but so long as you're diligent in keeping score, you always know who goes when and how dangerous they might be.

I already explained, but sure, I'll go again:
- Having Initiative keep shifting multiple during the turn, every turn, is going to be a pain to track. With ticks, all you had to do was shift a token on a wheel. Now you have the change thats tupid number all the loving time. And it does all kinds of poo poo now too!
- Speaking of which, the way initiative and damage interface sounds horribly stupid to me. There's no reason not to just max out your initiative, attack first with a damage dealing attack AND THEN YOUR TRUE DAMAGE IS YOUR INITIATIVE WHAT THE poo poo!? :psyduck:
- And then there's the charms. See, the problem with 2E apparently wasn't that there were too many combat charms all interacting in broken ways full of traps and broken poo poo, it that THERE WASN'T ENOUGH combat charms all interacting in broken ways full of traps and broken poo poo! I swear it's easier to make a Pathfinder character nwo than an exalted one.
- Like, seriously, why.
- And then there's all the charms that uses motes, willpower, initiative, health levels, and more stuff as ressources to make sure your character sheet become a complete mess by the third session.

I have not seen any of this in play yet, but reading it this seems like it's easily going to be the worst version of Exalted Combat yet. Hope you enjoy spending the entire game session on one fight!

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

MonsieurChoc posted:

- Having Initiative keep shifting multiple during the turn, every turn, is going to be a pain to track. With ticks, all you had to do was shift a token on a wheel. Now you have the change thats tupid number all the loving time. And it does all kinds of poo poo now too!

Lol are you kidding me buddy. All you had to do was shift tokens on a wheel. A special wheel specially marked out so as to make the tick system even minutely manageable. And you have to shift the tokens the right number of places along the wheel, because each token's place on the wheel represents a stupid number, that you are changing, all the loving time. Except that you're not just changing each player's number - you're also changing the master number that keeps track of what tick it even is. Oh, and people don't only act on their own ticks, because a lot of action - including combat movement - happens reflexively on a per-tick basis for everyone at the same time.

Jesus Christ. If we get to use physical visual aids then you just get some refrigerator magnets and slide them above and below each other.

quote:

- Speaking of which, the way initiative and damage interface sounds horribly stupid to me. There's no reason not to just max out your initiative, attack first with a damage dealing attack AND THEN YOUR TRUE DAMAGE IS YOUR INTIATIVE WHAT THE poo poo!? :psyduck:

Good luck with that one.

Where were you when the combat playtest leaked, anyway? We already knew this stuff.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."

MonsieurChoc posted:

I already explained, but sure, I'll go again:
- Speaking of which, the way initiative and damage interface sounds horribly stupid to me. There's no reason not to just max out your initiative, attack first with a damage dealing attack AND THEN YOUR TRUE DAMAGE IS YOUR INITIATIVE WHAT THE poo poo!? :psyduck:
- And then there's the charms. See, the problem with 2E apparently wasn't that there were too many combat charms all interacting in broken ways full of traps and broken poo poo, it that THERE WASN'T ENOUGH combat charms all interacting in broken ways full of traps and broken poo poo! I swear it's easier to make a Pathfinder character nwo than an exalted one.
- Like, seriously, why.
- And then there's all the charms that uses motes, willpower, initiative, health levels, and more stuff as ressources to make sure your character sheet become a complete mess by the third session.

I have not seen any of this in play yet, but reading it this seems like it's easily going to be the worst version of Exalted Combat yet. Hope you enjoy spending the entire game session on one fight!

A) It's one number and it doesn't break down like ticks did. I played this game, actually played it, and it's highly intuitive instead of the bullshit you think it is.

B) I tried this once. With boosters. Lots of them. It doesn't work because Hardness is a bitch and a half and it is immensely hard to acquire enough init to break even the lightest armor off your JB roll.

C) Name one trap. One. I'm calling you out on this because I think you are loving bad at optimizing and finding uses for poo poo and don't know jack. I bet you any amount of money I can find a use for something you think is trash and it's probably loving powerful. C'mon, show us what the gently caress you know.

Honestly what I'm reading here is that a bunch of :spergin: from a guy who didn't even bother to run a test combat to check his assumptions. Your post is trash, your analysis is trash, and you should feel bad about having a meltdown out of ignorance.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Transient People posted:

Ticks were bad because they were pure, raw, unadulterated action economy bullshit in the most obvious and game-smashingly terrible way. Two Three Tick actions beat one six tick action for the simple reason that you're acting twice you dumbass, and both of those three-tick actions could be a magic flurry of six attacks. There is no balance to 'I get more actions than you without any cost' except giving those actions a chance to fail outright, so that roughly speaking the amount of actions available remains the same. 2e did not do this, and thus there was no actual mechanical incentive to use anything but the lightest possible weapon you could find, and, if you were not playing with errata, to always take the Hearthstone that could push your attacks to go below three ticks of speed. If you cannot grok this maybe you should not critique any system because you have severe issues with understanding what works and what doesn't in game design.

Man you're sure getting angry about initiative in dicegames.

Anyway, I'm just saying: This doesn't feel like any of the issues I had. The two-for-one action difference, for instance, was pretty much only present if you contrasted the biggest and smallest weapons, in my experience, usually it was subtler than that. Now, I'm not saying it can't be this broken if you're dealing with people out to break and min/max the game, but under that pressure pretty much any mechanic is going to crumble. The tick system wasn't one of the mechanics that, again, in my experience, maybe yours was different, fell over and died on the sidewalk just because people were playing casually and having fun.

I'm also not saying it was a perfect, ideal mechanic handed down from the gods themselves, which man should never tamper with, just that I prefer it to standard init mechanics.

As for tick wheels... I just used a notepad, and it was pretty much perfectly manageable with that. Which I always do with normal init systems, anyway, to keep track of who's going next any time there's more than a couple of people involved. You didn't need to wave around some clunky, retarded "tick wheel" to make the tick system workable.

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008

MonsieurChoc posted:

I have not seen any of this in play yet, but reading it this seems like ti'S easily going to be the worst version of Exalted Combat yet. Hope you enjoy spending the ending game session on one fight!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Ferrinus posted:

Lol are you kidding me buddy. All you had to do was shift tokens on a wheel. A special wheel specially marked out so as to make the tick system even minutely manageable. And you have to shift the tokens the right number of places along the wheel, because each token's place on the wheel represents a stupid number, that you are changing, all the loving time. Except that you're not just changing each player's number - you're also changing the master number that keeps track of what tick it even is. Oh, and people don't only act on their own ticks, because a lot of action - including combat movement - happens reflexively on a per-tick basis for everyone at the same time.

Jesus Christ. If we get to use physical visual aids then you just get some refrigerator magnets and slide them above and below each other.

Do you have some kind of problem with wheels? How could you have trouble with this? Like, you move the token a number of spaces equal to your action, and then when everyone has acted you just move to the next space where there are tokens and the characters on the space get to act. That's it, simple as pie.

I am not defending the stupid poo poo that interferred with that basic system, like being able to move every tick, because 2E was full of rules that contradicted each other and made no sense. I'm just saying, moving a token a number of spaces is super simple compared to the abomination 3E decided to go with.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

PurpleXVI posted:

Man you're sure getting angry about initiative in dicegames.

Anyway, I'm just saying: This doesn't feel like any of the issues I had. The two-for-one action difference, for instance, was pretty much only present if you contrasted the biggest and smallest weapons, in my experience, usually it was subtler than that. Now, I'm not saying it can't be this broken if you're dealing with people out to break and min/max the game, but under that pressure pretty much any mechanic is going to crumble. The tick system wasn't one of the mechanics that, again, in my experience, maybe yours was different, fell over and died on the sidewalk just because people were playing casually and having fun.

I'm also not saying it was a perfect, ideal mechanic handed down from the gods themselves, which man should never tamper with, just that I prefer it to standard init mechanics.

As for tick wheels... I just used a notepad, and it was pretty much perfectly manageable with that. Which I always do with normal init systems, anyway, to keep track of who's going next any time there's more than a couple of people involved. You didn't need to wave around some clunky, retarded "tick wheel" to make the tick system workable.

Yeah, about that, three words.

Instant Murder Flash.

You cannot tell me the tick system wasn't bullshit if you ever had to deal with that charm. It is a fun charm, a balanced charm, and also an insane chore of a charm to use that perfectly showcases why ticks are bad (because they are terrible terrible terrible at representing a decent combat flow and allowing people to coordinate, on top of providing increasingly large bonuses to the guys with the fastest Speed as the combats went long). They're gone and good riddance. Ticks are a clusterfuck even if you run Mengtzu's Exalted tutorial, and you've got a computer actually helping you out there.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

MonsieurChoc posted:

Do you have some kind of problem with wheels? How could you have trouble with this? Like, you move the token a number of spaces equal to your action, and then when everyone has acted you just move to the next space where there are tokens and the characters on the space get to act. That's it, simple as pie.

I am not defending the stupid poo poo that interferred with that basic system, like being able to move every tick, because 2E was full of rules that contradicted each other and made no sense. I'm just saying, moving a token a number of spaces is super simple compared to the abomination 3E decided to go with.

What you're "just saying" is crazy nonsense. 2E's initiative system required a special visual aid to be even remotely manageable. That's the opposite of super simple! It is, in fact, annoyingly complicated!!!

And, like I said, if you were willing to use a visual aid with a token for each participant, 3E's system would be simpler to use than 2E's because you just keep the tokens in a line and move them above or below each other. There's no victory for you, here.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Transient People posted:

A) It's one number and it doesn't break down like ticks did. I played this game, actually played it, and it's highly intuitive instead of the bullshit you think it is.

B) I tried this once. With boosters. Lots of them. It doesn't work because Hardness is a bitch and a half and it is immensely hard to acquire enough init to break even the lightest armor off your JB roll.

C) Name one trap. One. I'm calling you out on this because I think you are loving bad at optimizing and finding uses for poo poo and don't know jack. I bet you any amount of money I can find a use for something you think is trash and it's probably loving powerful. C'mon, show us what the gently caress you know.

Honestly what I'm reading here is that a bunch of :spergin: from a guy who didn't even bother to run a test combat to check his assumptions. Your post is trash, your analysis is trash, and you should feel bad about having a meltdown out of ignorance.

Wow, that's an angry response to what was pretty evidently a first reading impression. No, I haven't had time to read every charm to make sure each one has some kind of theoritical use. I have been found out, I am just some kind of good ranting at this brilliant game for no reason. I shall now retire out of shame after your cutting remark exposed my ineptitude of grasping entire systems in one hour of light reading.

I just wanted a fun game, and found myself reading a modern take on Phoenix Command. That's why I'm pissed.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Ferrinus posted:

What you're "just saying" is crazy nonsense. 2E's initiative system required a special visual aid to be even remotely manageable. That's the opposite of super simple! It is, in fact, annoyingly complicated!!!

And, like I said, if you were willing to use a visual aid with a token for each participant, 3E's system would be simpler to use than 2E's because you just keep the tokens in a line and move them above or below each other. There's no victory for you, here.

And even if you don't have a single visual aid, 3e's initiative system is simpler because the players only have to memorize one single number that is static until they take damage or spend init. So at the end of a turn you can just say 'anybody have an init below 10?' or whatever the last value was and take the highest. Boom, done. So complicated!

quote:

I just wanted a fun game, and found myself reading a modern take on Phoenix Command. That's why I'm pissed.

I'm telling you man, go play it. It works and it's much faster than you think. I totally get your concern but the system isn't the clusterfuck you believe it is.

Transient People fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Feb 5, 2015

LimitedReagent
Oct 5, 2008
My experiences with the tick system, off the top of my head, after playing 2e for like a decade:

-Weird durations. Something that lasts "until your DV refreshes (Melee) times" lasts longer for the hammer fighter than for the knife fighter. Plus, if that hammer fighter wanted to use a Charm to make themselves go faster, they'd reduce the duration of their effect. Isn't a huge deal on offensive buffs, but it can really hurt with defensive buffs. And makes no sense in the fiction.
-Speed manipulation is really hard to balance. Have something that reduces your Speed by one? Going from Speed 4 to Speed 3 is way better than going from Speed 6 to Speed 5.
-Anything that was per-tick made combat drag on. Like, say, basic movement actions like Move or Dash! So your characters were going on tick 2, 5, 7, and 13, you couldn't skip ticks 3, 4, 6, 8, 9, 10, 11, or 12, because people could take move actions in there.
-It messed with stunting, since the faster your Speed meant more actions taken which meant more actions you could stunt which meant more motes and Willpower back, which of course means everything in Exalted 2e.
-The benefit of Speed better representing fast weapons was dubious anyway, since we already had a way to make faster weapons better: Rate. Why do we need two ways to measure how quick weapons are to use? The game could've even tied Extra Action Charms to your weapon's Rate, so that the quicker your weapon, the more you could benefit from those flurry Charms (like making them cheaper or capping EAs related to Rate or something). Not that flurries are any good either.
-The Join Battle roll capping out at Speed 6 meant if you had one person who rolled really well/had JB boosts, they'd go on tick 0 while everyone else went on tick 6. Which meant a bunch of simultaneous actions first round which are a pain.
-Speed 3 being so good and a bunch of relatively easy ways to get it meant that eventually pretty much everyone was rocking Speed 3. Combined with the above, we'd often end up with everyone having simultaneous actions over and over for the whole drat fight, completely bypassing any sense of the benefits of the tick system at all.
-Playing online, which I started doing for years after most of my gaming group scattered across the country, made the battlewheel impractical to say the least. Even in person, unless you had sticky chits or something a little bump of the table would send them moving around and then who is going on which tick gently caress.

I'd add more but that'd require thinking about 2e more and gently caress that.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Ok, I stand corrected on the problems of the battle wheel. 3E still sounds absolutely dire, though.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

Ok, I stand corrected on the problems of the battle wheel. 3E still sounds absolutely dire, though.

If I presented you with the logs of an IRC combat, would that help any? An example you can look at is worth a thousand posts after all.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Transient People posted:

If I presented you with the logs of an IRC combat, would that help any? An example you can look at is worth a thousand posts after all.

I don't think it would. So far, my problems about the needless complexity of the battle system and the overly large number of fiddly charms have been met with a pointless derail about the 2E battle wheel and "SHUT UP, NERD! You haven't memorized every charm yet so everything you say is wrong!"

This really seems like a battle system that people who play Exalted a lot and take the time to completely master will have a lot of fun with, but more "casual" players, like me, who play many different rpgs and so cannot focus on mastering one, will really not enjoy.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

I don't think it would. So far, my problems about the needless complexity of the battle system and the overly large number of fiddly charms have been met with a pointless derail about the 2E battle wheel and "SHUT UP, NERD! You haven't memorized every charm yet so everything you say is wrong!"

This really seems like a battle system that people who play Exalted a lot and take the time to completely master will have a lot of fun with, but more "casual" players, like me, who play many different rpgs and so cannot focus on mastering one, will really not enjoy.

Hmm...I don't think it's that dire because I did take the time to explore a whole bunch of charmtrees in detail and they're all strong. I feel like you can make blind decisions and so long as somebody tells you to put five dots in dexterity and get an artifact weapon you'll be fine. The math is just...much, much simpler, so pretty much the only tricky part is avoiding analysis paralysis to keep things rolling. Which is a fair criticism of a game where you start with fifteen charms, but if your decisionmaking is quick, you should be good to play the game regardless of your system mastery.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Mmm, yes, a pointless derail about the 2E tick system... which you loudly and repeatedly claimed was superior to the 3E system, particularly in terms of simplicity and ease of use.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Ferrinus posted:

Mmm, yes, a pointless derail about the 2E tick system... which you loudly and repeatedly claimed was superior to the 3E system, particularly in terms of simplicity and ease of use.

I... feel like you're reading me as a lot more angry/aggressive than I actually am? I mostly commented on the battlewheel thing as an aside to my main complaints? Like, I know it's hard to read intent/emotions on the internet, especially when you make as many typos as I do, but re-reading my post I really don't think it was like that.

Ah, well.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

MonsieurChoc posted:

Yeah, I was just screaming at Purple over the Battle-Wheel and then the streams sort of crossed.

Honestly this whole thing has just reminded me of why I haven't posted here for so long.

MonsieurChoc posted:

I... feel like you're reading me as a lot more angry/aggressive than I actually am? I mostly commented on the battlewheel thing as an aside to my main complaints? Like, I know it's hard to read intent/emotions on the internet, especially when you make as many typos as I do, but re-reading my post I really don't think it was like that.

Ah, well.

Yeah, well.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

MonsieurChoc posted:

This is what graduating your game was all about!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Look, I like the Exalted setting, I really do! I had a ton of fun playing through multiple 2E games (I started with the 2E core). Nowadays I wouldn't touch the system with a ten-foot pole, the flaws have become so obvious to me that I can't just ignore them, but I still have a lot of fond memories of it. What I wanted out of 3E was a simpler, cleaner system that made it easier to run and play. And what we got is really, really not simpler nor easier. Maybe it's less broken, sure, but that doesn't change the fact that theyw ent in the wrong direction overall. Maybe I'll change my mind once I try it out. It's happened before! But so far none of the arguments defending the 3E combat system have been convincing at all.

I wanted to make a roguish, pirate-type character. So, I started assigning dots, leafing through the charms, etc. And then, as was reading throguh the charms, I jsut hit this gigantic wall of needless granularity. It seemsed like if I wanted to be good at, well, anything, I needed to spend at least half my starting charms on that tree. Do we really need a different charms for every possible variation of dice roll modification the devs could think of?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

MonsieurChoc posted:

Ah, well.

I don't care to divine your intent or emotions. I just made the obvious response to your claim that the 3E initiative system was bad... in comparison to the 2E system, which was supposedly good. In fact it is a massive improvement.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Ferrinus posted:

I don't care to divine your intent or emotions. I just made the obvious response to your claim that the 3E initiative system was bad... in comparison to the 2E system, which was supposedly good. In fact it is a massive improvement.

3E's system still looks completely terrible. All you've done is shown that the previous' one isn't better.

slut chan
Nov 30, 2006

Zereth posted:

Talking about that sort of poo poo is :filez: so nobody's gonna be giving you an answer.

Sorry. I wasn't looking for a link or anything, just a "it was posted to 4chan" or "there's a torrent" and then I'd look from there. When the first leak happened that much was said without issue, but if it's files then it's files, mea culpa.

I'm a silly backer, so it's just a matter of time, but I'm impatient.

I want to see how weapon tags ended up, because they seemed to be in infancy in the other leak. Also if the "the leak had twenty billion ways to add one die to see which ones stuck" theory proved out.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
Kind of annoyed that a Martial Arts style called "Single Point Shining Into the Void" focuses on the edge of a bladed weapon instead of its tip. It's the archetypal "guy draws so fast no one can see him kill people before he sheathes the weapon again" style, though, so whatever.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Ferrinus posted:

He might be casting indirect aspersions on the radiance of the Solar Exalted, you shouldn't let that slide.

The tick/wheel system seems like it could be a fun system if it had some kind of greater development behind it. It might not necessarily be great for Exalted what with action economy and so forth, of course, but I do recall it being pretty fun/easy once we had an actual physical wheel to mess with. Maybe if it was something that looped around, with THE BOSS TURN occuring at some fixed tick, and with actions deliberately balanced for this purpose... But that isn't what 2E did.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
I was really looking forward to ticks but they hosed it up in two fundamental ways:

* having flurries *and* ticks, both of which represented stabbing someone really fast.
* movement happening on every individual tick for everyone, and no abstract movement rules

On the other hand ticks brought us the BATTLE BOAT where we had a plastic boat orbiting the tickwheel. If you delayed you moved your miniature off the wheel onto the boat. It's my favourite memory of Exalted 2e.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

MonsieurChoc posted:

3E's system still looks completely terrible. All you've done is shown that the previous' one isn't better.

I did a bunch of playing around with the 3e combat system under the playtest rules, and it actually flowed really well and felt like a properly fluid wuxia fight where who was in control could flip back and forth repeatedly without anyone getting one-shotted or deathspiraled. I don't know how much the final rules are different (currently reading the character creation stuff), but if you get a hold of the leak, grab some dice and paper and try it out.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

slut chan posted:

Sorry. I wasn't looking for a link or anything, just a "it was posted to 4chan" or "there's a torrent" and then I'd look from there. When the first leak happened that much was said without issue, but if it's files then it's files, mea culpa.

I'm a silly backer, so it's just a matter of time, but I'm impatient.

I want to see how weapon tags ended up, because they seemed to be in infancy in the other leak. Also if the "the leak had twenty billion ways to add one die to see which ones stuck" theory proved out.

Tags are still pretty simple. Not too different from the leak really. And yes, it was posted in other sites. Holden found out that it showed up in the chans a while back, if the Exalted IRC is to be believed.

bartkusa
Sep 25, 2005

Air, Fire, Earth, Hope
I want to defend the Initiative system, but I'm also creating a lovely webapp to handle all the changing numbers so welp :shobon:

Kenlon posted:

I did a bunch of playing around with the 3e combat system under the playtest rules, and it actually flowed really well and felt like a properly fluid wuxia fight where who was in control could flip back and forth repeatedly without anyone getting one-shotted or deathspiraled.

I did this too, and I agree. Even fights between mortals were fun. Armor owns. However, I got stuck in a one-on-one with an Armor Dude vs my buddy's Dex-5 Stamina-1 Glass Ninja. Ninja ended up kiting Armor Dude, and slapping him with boomerangs. Once she ran out of boomerangs, she dodged around him and picked up the remaining boomerangs.

It was an embarrassing loss.

bartkusa fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Feb 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

My suspicion is that if you just keep the turn order the same from the beginning of combat to the end, and use "Initiative" purely as everyone's ablative Protoss plasma shield, the game will work just fine. I haven't read the mechanics through yet, though.

Nessus posted:

He might be casting indirect aspersions on the radiance of the Solar Exalted, you shouldn't let that slide.

My god, are you ever going to stop crying about this? For some reason, I always forget how salty you, in particular, are about basic setting premises, and need to be reminded by these little asides.

• Locked thread