Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
slut chan
Nov 30, 2006

Transient People posted:

Tags are still pretty simple. Not too different from the leak really. And yes, it was posted in other sites. Holden found out that it showed up in the chans a while back, if the Exalted IRC is to be believed.

Yeah, I found it, and I'm happy with where tags went, for the most part.

I'm glad there wasn't a crusade this time.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned how surprisingly intuitive and helpful the bookmarks on the pdf are. It even has bookmarks for all of the sidebars. It's almost like an index/glossary instead of just an interactive table of contents like most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Ferrinus posted:

My god, are you ever going to stop crying about this? For some reason, I always forget how salty you, in particular, are about basic setting premises, and need to be reminded by these little asides.
Not getting over stuff is also a basic setting premise!

slut chan posted:

Yeah when I heard about this part of me went 'motherfucker are they going to just cancel it now?'

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

slut chan posted:

Yeah, I found it, and I'm happy with where tags went, for the most part.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned how surprisingly intuitive and helpful the bookmarks on the pdf are. It even has bookmarks for all of the sidebars. It's almost like an index/glossary instead of just an interactive table of contents like most.

I'm lovin' the Performance Charms sub-bookmarks.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

bartkusa posted:

I did this too, and I agree. Even fights between mortals were fun. Armor owns. However, I got stuck in a one-on-one with an Armor Dude vs my buddy's Dex-5 Stamina-1 Glass Ninja. Ninja ended up kiting Armor Dude, and slapping him with boomerangs. Once she ran out of boomerangs, she dodged around him and picked up the remaining boomerangs.

Now you know what the Romans felt like against the Parthians. :hist101:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

slut chan posted:

Also if the "the leak had twenty billion ways to add one die to see which ones stuck" theory proved out.
From what I hear the charm trees in the previous leak got into this near-final one almost entirely unchanged.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
There are some changes, and I'm unsure I like their direction; "Reflex Sidestep Technique" in the Dodge Charm tree appears to have gone from allowing you to use your full Evasion against unexpected Decisive attacks to allowing you to set your Evasion to 2 against any unexpected attack whatsoever, gain an additional point of Evasion back for every 1 or 2 on said unexpected attack roll, and if your Evasion ends up at its full value after that adjustment, allows you to use any of your other (one assumes Reflexive) Dodge Charms. Which is both better and requires far more fiddly result-counting.

Edit: But that said, the vast majority of the Charms for the character I'm examining -- a Dodge-focused Eclipse -- have been unchanged. The document's just too big for a verdict just yet.

Crion fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Feb 5, 2015

bartkusa
Sep 25, 2005

Air, Fire, Earth, Hope
There are a poo poo-ton of cities in the setting chapter. So excite!

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Here's my initial token comments:

Craft is still separate Abilities, except instead of being limited to a given set, it's whatever area of expertise you can think of, a la the Craft skill in d20 (with eight example ones named, so it's already more of an XP sink than the 2E version).

Except, you need Craft (artifacts) to make artifacts (as distinct from normal Craft uses like "weapon smithing" and "armoring"), and Craft (geomancy) to make manses (as distinct from "architecture"). So, basically, this copied the idea of magic crafting as a separate thing from mundane crafting from d20, too, which means that nobody who plans to focus on artifacts all the time is going to bother ever actually taking a mundane Craft ability.

Except, you can spend an XP tax by buying Arete-Shifting Prana and Supreme Celestial Focus to raise any Craft you have at least 1 dot in to up to 5 for gold points instead of experience. You get gold points by making artifacts, and the first dot's cost is negligible.

And, then you can buy your way up to Supreme Perfection of Craft, get (one gold point and Essence +2 silver points) per day for every Craft ability rated at 5.

So, the whole thing is basically just a complicated scheme that mechanically amounts to the same as "put 5 points in Craft to make artifacts, then buy a specialty for each mundane kind of thing you can also make, and the more specialties you have the more free Craft macguffin points you get", except you have to buy a bunch of Charms to get there first.

Also, Spirit-Stoking Elevation lets you convert white points to free XP for Lore, Occult, and Medicine Charms, and Vice-Miracle Technique lets you pull a two-dot Artifact out of your rear end once a season for free.

Also, Dual Magnus Prana still exists, so basically there's no way to ever prove that a Solar with Craft 5/Essence 5 is actually the Solar and not a Doombot until you (fail to) murder them.

Also, there's ten separate non-Excellency Craft Charms that give rerolls, add successes, add dice, add successes based on original successes, give Excellency discounts, give dice cap increases, change dice results, double dice results, and add non-Charm dice.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Feb 5, 2015

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Roadie posted:

... Vice-Miracle Technique lets you pull a two-dot Artifact out of your rear end once a season for free.

Also, Dual Magnus Prana still exists, so basically there's no way to ever prove that a Solar with Craft 5/Essence 5 is actually the Solar and not a Doombot until you (fail to) murder them.

And regardless of what you might think about the rest of crafting, those two Charms are awesome and I won't hear otherwise. :colbert:

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Kenlon posted:

And regardless of what you might think about the rest of crafting, those two Charms are awesome and I won't hear otherwise. :colbert:

I wonder how many of those dudes at the Usurpation were actually Doombots.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Roadie posted:

I wonder how many of those dudes at the Usurpation were actually Doombots.

A bunch of them did escape and have to be hunted down, so probably quite a few. Though given the sheer megalomania of the First Age Solars, there's a good chance that quite a few of those who could have, didn't. (After all, it has to be plausible for them to be somewhere. . . )

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Question, with that charm can the creator die and the doom bot still be around?

bartkusa
Sep 25, 2005

Air, Fire, Earth, Hope

Kenlon posted:

A bunch of them did escape and have to be hunted down, so probably quite a few. Though given the sheer megalomania of the First Age Solars, there's a good chance that quite a few of those who could have, didn't. (After all, it has to be plausible for them to be somewhere. . . )

In some cases, the actual Twilights were killed the first night of the Usurpation, and the Sidereals spent decades hunting their surviving Doombots.

e:f;b :argh:

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Stormgale posted:

Question, with that charm can the creator die and the doom bot still be around?

Only when it makes for a great story. :v:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

The real question is if a Solarbot can make more Solarbots.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Roadie posted:

Also, there's ten separate non-Excellency Craft Charms that give rerolls, add successes, add dice, add successes based on original successes, give Excellency discounts, give dice cap increases, change dice results, double dice results, and add non-Charm dice.

I guess the idea is that once you have all of those going at once the simple act of rolling some dice to craft something feels like operating a hugely complicated, powerful, and self-sustaining machine.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Ferrinus posted:

I guess the idea is that once you have all of those going at once the simple act of rolling some dice to craft something feels like operating a hugely complicated, powerful, and self-sustaining machine.

I can sorta get behind that, in theory. Dunno how it works in practice. Time to grab some dice.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

Ferrinus posted:

Considering one of the Craft capstones is 'you get four sessions worth of bonus experience per arc', yes, that's more or less exactly what it is.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Kenlon posted:

Only when it makes for a great story. :v:

gently caress yeah I want to make a story about exploring the ancient manse of a first age solar piloted by his doombot

Edit: for the poster below me I saw a lot of her's when I was reading regarding player characters.

Stormgale fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Feb 5, 2015

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.
One little thing that really stuck out to me about the leak is that they seem to pretty much always default to make when talking about players and characters. I thought that was against Onyx Path's house style, not to mention a little disappointing in terms of inclusivity.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Flavivirus posted:

One little thing that really stuck out to me about the leak is that they seem to pretty much always default to make when talking about players and characters. I thought that was against Onyx Path's house style, not to mention a little disappointing in terms of inclusivity.

Are you sure? I'm just skimming the charms list and the anima mechanics, but the overwhelming amount of pronouns seem to be she and her or gender neutral, rather than just he or him.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."

Bedlamdan posted:

Are you sure? I'm just skimming the charms list and the anima mechanics, but the overwhelming amount of pronouns seem to be she and her or gender neutral, rather than just he or him.

Yeah this. There's both him and her, he and she. They definitely didn't omit anything.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

E: derp, my bad. That's what I get for not counting and going off my gut.

I've now run the numbers, and generally the document's very tilted towards the use of female pronouns - 5551 uses of her/she compared to 2051 uses of he/his. Where I got the feeling it was the other way round was in the character creation chapter, which strangely enough is the one of the only chapters to use he/his more than she/her - more than three times as much, in fact (107 he/his compared to 31 she/her).

Flavivirus fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Feb 5, 2015

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

E: double post too? That's what I get for posting before 9am...

Yue
Jun 3, 2012

CUT, CUT, CUT! I said MORE prancing, damnit!

Flavivirus posted:

It's not a house style thing, it's up to the individual writer.

I think I get what Holden was saying about how Chapter One wouldn't look right without the art. The "and the tale continues!" bit is like a giant HAHA GET REKT INFERNAL AND ALCHEMICAL FANS but I bet in the book there'll be some huge fancy art piece that takes the sting out.

Don't see how this took four years to make, though.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Yue posted:

It's not a house style thing, it's up to the individual writer.

I think I get what Holden was saying about how Chapter One wouldn't look right without the art. The "and the tale continues!" bit is like a giant HAHA GET REKT INFERNAL AND ALCHEMICAL FANS but I bet in the book there'll be some huge fancy art piece that takes the sting out.

Don't see how this took four years to make, though.

A bunch of it was tied up in illness and another bunch was probably trying to find a way to preserve the style of Exalted's 1e and 2e combat systems without producing something absolutely busted as gently caress. I think it's reasonable - D&D 4e had a really long development time too, and I'd put Ex 3 at about the same level of crunchiness and quality.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Transient People posted:

A bunch of it was tied up in illness and another bunch was probably trying to find a way to preserve the style of Exalted's 1e and 2e combat systems without producing something absolutely busted as gently caress. I think it's reasonable - D&D 4e had a really long development time too, and I'd put Ex 3 at about the same level of crunchiness and quality.

How does the quality of Exalted 3rds Pregnancy related Merits and Sex charms related to 4th editions?

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Stormgale posted:

How does the quality of Exalted 3rds Pregnancy related Merits and Sex charms related to 4th editions?

...Rephrase, please? I'm not sure what you meant there, besides a joke.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Transient People posted:

...Rephrase, please? I'm not sure what you meant there, besides a joke.

You stated that

Transient People posted:

D&D 4e had a really long development time too, and I'd put Ex 3 at about the same level of crunchiness and quality.

So I'm asking how Exalted 3rd edition's Pregnancy Merits and sex related content compares to that in 4th edition D&D

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I haven't gotten anything from KS, so you guys are talking aout a leaked version or what? When was it leaked and have they said anything yet?

Transient People posted:

D&D 4e had a really long development time too, and I'd put Ex 3 at about the same level of crunchiness and quality.

Since 4ed is so polarizing, does Ex3 seem really polished to you or what? I think 4ed was a really high quality product in several ways, even if the system in general had a few big faults.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Hugoon Chavez posted:

I haven't gotten anything from KS, so you guys are talking aout a leaked version or what? When was it leaked and have they said anything yet?

Since 4ed is so polarizing, does Ex3 seem really polished to you or what? I think 4ed was a really high quality product in several ways, even if the system in general had a few big faults.

Yes, Ex3 seems pretty polished to me. I spent years writing handbooks for 4e and teaching newbies how to play the game, so comparing the new edition of Exalted to it means it's actually a Genuinely Good Game. If FATE Atomic Robo is my current 10 for RPGs and D&D 3.5 is my 1, Exalted 3e is something like an 8 or 8.5. It's got some issues that keep it from being a true classic RPG but it's very much a solid foundation for a game that historically had broken mechanics going forward.

And yes, there was a leak, they know but can't do anything, and it happened a few days ago. This was discussed a little while back.

Stormgale posted:

You stated that

So I'm asking how Exalted 3rd edition's Pregnancy Merits and sex related content compares to that in 4th edition D&D

I don't have any opinion for or against the sex content in Exalted, and the pregnancy merit is neat if you have a GM who likes to throw curveballs at you or dig deep into the PCs' sheets to make sure all of it gets some screentime, or annoying if you don't because it codifies something you could otherwise easily handwave. Does that answer your question?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I managed to finish my character. Another thing that really annoys is how most of the charms are completely worthless filler. Each charm should be it's own distinctive effect, but instead now 75% of them are some tiny dice-pool manipualtion bullshit like re-rollin 1s or +1 to evasion or something, with only a few having any actual cool effect. This really feels like making more charms for the sake of making more charms.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Flavivirus posted:

E: derp, my bad. That's what I get for not counting and going off my gut.

I've now run the numbers, and generally the document's very tilted towards the use of female pronouns - 5551 uses of her/she compared to 2051 uses of he/his. Where I got the feeling it was the other way round was in the character creation chapter, which strangely enough is the one of the only chapters to use he/his more than she/her - more than three times as much, in fact (107 he/his compared to 31 she/her).

The example chargen person was a backer reward and they made it a guy, so they would use he/his in the example, which makes up a fair bit of the creation chapter. Charm wording is apparently always supposed to use she/her as the default pronoun for the user.

Logically this makes sense in the chargen chapter because it'd be kind of a dick move to go 'okay you paid up serious cash money to get to have us use your character as an example stat up. They have to be a girl though.'

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Roadie posted:

Here's my initial token comments:

Craft is still separate Abilities, except instead of being limited to a given set, it's whatever area of expertise you can think of, a la the Craft skill in d20 (with eight example ones named, so it's already more of an XP sink than the 2E version).

Except, you need Craft (artifacts) to make artifacts (as distinct from normal Craft uses like "weapon smithing" and "armoring"), and Craft (geomancy) to make manses (as distinct from "architecture"). So, basically, this copied the idea of magic crafting as a separate thing from mundane crafting from d20, too, which means that nobody who plans to focus on artifacts all the time is going to bother ever actually taking a mundane Craft ability.

Except, you can spend an XP tax by buying Arete-Shifting Prana and Supreme Celestial Focus to raise any Craft you have at least 1 dot in to up to 5 for gold points instead of experience. You get gold points by making artifacts, and the first dot's cost is negligible.

Mundane and magical crafts aren't completely-insulated from each other. Magical crafts depend on mundane ones - your craft rating with Artifacts or Geomancy are capped by your best applicable mundane Crafting skill. This does indeed end up turning Craft into a gigantic XP sink, but the idea seems to be that it's balanced (insofar as that term applies) by the fact that you no longer have to dig into your personal XP budget for buying the created items themselves (ie, if you make a Daiklave, it doesn't force you to drop 9 XP on Artifact 3).

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

Stallion Cabana posted:

The example chargen person was a backer reward and they made it a guy, so they would use he/his in the example, which makes up a fair bit of the creation chapter. Charm wording is apparently always supposed to use she/her as the default pronoun for the user.

Logically this makes sense in the chargen chapter because it'd be kind of a dick move to go 'okay you paid up serious cash money to get to have us use your character as an example stat up. They have to be a girl though.'

Ah, that'd do it. With the removal of the example of character creation the ratios for the rest of the chapter aren't significantly different than those in the rest of the book.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
I really like the pork bun story.

slut chan
Nov 30, 2006

Ferrinus posted:

My gods...

They turned Craft into a cookie clicker mini game.

bartkusa
Sep 25, 2005

Air, Fire, Earth, Hope
I really like the economics-of-empire chapter.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Hey remember when they spent ages not telling us things so we'd be all excited at the finished product?

Well they were mostly right.

Edit: There's three different types of Crafting XP. What the tits.

Fans fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Feb 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Fans posted:

Hey remember when they spent ages not telling us things so we'd be all excited at the finished product?

Well they were mostly right.
I wish they'd done enough open playtesting to get people on their poo poo about how they really need half as many dice tricks for the charm bloat they've got, and taken a different lesson from the Martial Arts v Brawl debate than "slap some Merits on it," but hey, just because we're getting Mega Bloks when we asked for Lego it's not too bad. There's still something solid to build from here, and it's better than literally nothing.

• Locked thread