Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

mr. why posted:

Can't you argue that she did die by becoming a Faceless Man? She doesn't even get chapters called "Arya" anymore. They are named after the identities that she assumes.

She didn't get rid of Needle, though. So "Arya" isn't dead, just shut away for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

mr. why posted:

Can't you argue that she did die by becoming a Faceless Man? She doesn't even get chapters called "Arya" anymore. They are named after the identities that she assumes.

She's not even really becoming a Faceless Man though, she's doing practically none of the training the way she's supposed to be doing. Kills Night's Watch for Arya reasons, keeps needle, uses her warg powers during training instead of the way FM are supposed to, etc.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I don't know if it's because I often skim Arya's chapters, but I had no idea she was warging.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

When the Kindly Man is testing her during combat practice he blindfolds her and tells her to use FM training bullshit and instead she just wargs into the cat's sitting on the rafters to see what he's doing.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Yeah I gathered that after I finished the book and read about it online, just didn't pick up on it at the time.

In other news, I told my show-only-no-internet-spoilers girlfriend about the letter, including the Tyrion/Arya/Jon triangle and she asked what the hell was wrong with GRRM.

She doesn't have a clue about R+L=J :chord:

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Professor Shark posted:

I always envisioned Dany coming to Westeros in tattered clothes, giggling to herself, biting her own fingers in her madness along with her massive dragons. I never thought of her as having a proper invasion with an army, assumed that everything that could go wrong for her would, and it would just her alone and seeking revenge on a continent of faceless matchstick people.

Have you read Dany's chapters? If anything it sometimes seems like GRRM writes it in such a way to ensure everything doesn't go wrong, so even her mistakes take her to greater heights, in the opposite way with the Starks he often writes it so those characters get the worst possible outcome from every action they take.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I'm just saying that I think that it would be awesome for her to go full tilt crazy and mumble "Fire and Blood" as she murders humans and Others en masse

GRRM probably isn't going to do it

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Eh, it's possible, the big lesson Daenerys seems to be learning is "might makes right", which isn't necessarily the makings of a good and just ruler.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

More casting news. Mostly extra talk, although there's a new wildling leader named Loboda who looks rather Thenn-ish and was seen in the trailer.

Also 100% confirmed is the return of Kevan Lannister, who somehow, some way, did not get recast

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
To me this lends some credence to the Jon/Sansa theory. Now that I think about it, she even has red hair.

Is Sophie Turner taller than Kit Harrington?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Mortabis posted:

To me this lends some credence to the Jon/Sansa theory. Now that I think about it, she even has red hair.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I'm pretty sure dinklage is taller than harrington

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

He's actually shorter than that. Someone photoshopped the picture to make him look taller.

RCarr fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Feb 5, 2015

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
5'8 for him and 5'9 for her.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

RCarr posted:

He's actually shorter than that. Someone photoshopped the picture to make him look taller.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Mortabis posted:

What's the Jon/Sansa theory? Do I really want to know? :ohdear:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

RCarr posted:

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

5'8 for him and 5'9 for her.

You guys realize that the reason she looks so much taller is because she's wearing heels, right?

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Aw, he sits so daintily.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

webmeister posted:

What's the Jon/Sansa theory? Do I really want to know? :ohdear:

It's not that bad. The origin is that in the first Dunk & Egg story, the champions for Lord Ashford's daughter are in order: Lyonel Baratheon, Leo Tyrell, Tybolt Lannister, Humphrey Hardyng, and Valarr Targaryen. So far Sansa has had four suitors, in order: Joffrey Baratheon, Willas Tyrell, Tyrion Lannister, and Harold Hardyng. The question is, who's the Targaryen?

Some people think it's Aegon. Some people think it's Jon, assuming R+L=J (which just about everyone does). They're first cousins; it's not that gross, especially when you compare it to the rest of the theories floating around.

Mortabis fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Feb 5, 2015

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Kit is shorter than me, and I barely make it to 5'8". He's super ripped through. I'm not going to post the picture of the two of us, but yea, he's short as hell.

But here's a picture of a friend of mine at GRRM at the X-Sanguine Comic Con Afterparty around 2008 or so

http://i.imgur.com/xzoapdr.jpg

According to her, all the hot women wanted to sit on his lap, like some creepy Santa.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I love that Dany originally gets revenge for Viserys instead of sitting back and watching Drogo kill him.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

I can't wait until its revealed that Mira Forrester is the Ghost of Winterfell, shanking all the freys & boltons at Ramsay's wedding. Shes a boss in the Telltale games series :getin:

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Ague Proof posted:

It's never mentioned that Tyrion is a dwarf. I wonder when he got the idea to make him one?

It looks to me like he originally had the idea to simply have the Lannisters as the ruling house and the starks as their former closest allies who together deposed the Targs rather than having such a sprawling number of houses. Why he changed it I dunno.

Seems like he kept writing more and more people, places and poo poo in as he went along.

I'm guessing his original plan was to have Joff, Jaime and Tyrion be three brothers, Tyrion being the youngest and smarter than Jaime but not quite as bad rear end and realised it's probably not a great idea to have so many young smart dudes who're good at war stuff and better off having a character with a disability but still be bad rear end.

Midnight City posted:

When the Kindly Man is testing her during combat practice he blindfolds her and tells her to use FM training bullshit and instead she just wargs into the cat's sitting on the rafters to see what he's doing.

He blinds her with some draught and she drinks it every day to teach her to listen and to smell more acutely. She gets the poo poo kicked out of her one night by a guy holding a stick but doesn't know who it is. She wargs into a cat sometime later and sees the kindly man holding a stick and she cracks him with one revealing that she knows it's him who's been whupping her as her third "tell me three things you know today you didn't yesterday".

She's actually doing most of the training they teach her to do, it's the only time she cheats, the rest of the time she goes along pretty much as ordered other than keeping needle.

Mortabis posted:

It's not that bad. The origin is that in the first Dunk & Egg story, the champions for Lord Ashford's daughter are in order: Lyonel Baratheon, Leo Tyrell, Tybolt Lannister, Humphrey Hardyng, and Valarr Targaryen. So far Sansa has had four suitors, in order: Joffrey Baratheon, Willas Tyrell, Tyrion Lannister, and Harold Hardyng. The question is, who's the Targaryen?

Some people think it's Aegon. Some people think it's Jon, assuming R+L=J (which just about everyone does). They're first cousins; it's not that gross, especially when you compare it to the rest of the theories floating around.

Tywin married his cousin Joanna. Targs were always marrying one another too, and for that matter having retard dragon frog babies that die.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Mortabis posted:

Oh right, that one. I'm not a huge fan of it to be honest, I think it's one of those ones where people see patterns where they want to see them - and at this point, there's an almost infinite number of those.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

BlindSite posted:

Seems like he kept writing more and more people, places and poo poo in as he went along.

It's genuinely amazing that the series is so cohesive and has such solid continuity with this in mind.

It probably contributes hugely to the time it takes to write though. Every time he comes up with a new character, factoid or location he has to look it up to make sure it doesn't contradict anything else.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Steve2911 posted:

It's genuinely amazing that the series is so cohesive and has such solid continuity with this in mind.

It probably contributes hugely to the time it takes to write though. Every time he comes up with a new character, factoid or location he has to look it up to make sure it doesn't contradict anything else.

You mean, like that time a horse changed sex in between books and a bunch of nerds cried foul over it?

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
I like fire, you can have some too.

Midnight City posted:

She mostly does use her Faceless Man training, but she keeps getting attacked by the Kindly Man who is better at Faceless Man stuff than she is so she uses the cat to figure out who is attacking her.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Dalael posted:

You mean, like that time a horse changed sex in between books and a bunch of nerds cried fowl over it?

Are you sure it wasn't a duck that changed sex?

Don't forget there was a fully fleshed-out long-running fan theory that Jeyne Poole was pregnant with Robb's child (or an imposter or some poo poo idk), simply because he mixed up minor details of her appearance between ASOS and ADWD!

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

webmeister posted:

Don't forget there was a fully fleshed-out long-running fan theory that Jeyne Poole was pregnant with Robb's child (or an imposter or some poo poo idk), simply because he mixed up minor details of her appearance between ASOS and ADWD!

I'm pretty forgiving about this one, since the details were actually pretty drastic.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

webmeister posted:

Are you sure it wasn't a duck that changed sex?

GRRM said it himself on an interview. I don't remember which interview, but he was talking about some of the things that bugs him about his fans. And apparently, there's a stalion in a book, which is referred to as a mare in the book that comes after. (Or the other way around).

I am not sure, but I believe its the Hound's horse...

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
What if the Hound's horse is a warg :ohdear:

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.

Blind Melon posted:

She mostly does use her Faceless Man training, but she keeps getting attacked by the Kindly Man who is better at Faceless Man stuff than she is so she uses the cat to figure out who is attacking her.

I can't recall if the Kindly Man specifically calls her out on it, but to me warging would be right up the alley of an elite group of assassins.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

BlindSite posted:

I'm guessing his original plan was to have Joff, Jaime and Tyrion be three brothers, Tyrion being the youngest and smarter than Jaime but not quite as bad rear end and realised it's probably not a great idea to have so many young smart dudes who're good at war stuff and better off having a character with a disability but still be bad rear end.

So he turned the Lannisters into the Baratheons, more or less.

I mean I guess Stannis is the smart one there.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
He refers to Joffrey as Joffrey Baratheon in the pitch thing, as well as mentioning Robert dying, though, so the Baratheons weren't totally absent.

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
I like fire, you can have some too.

lifts cats over head posted:

I can't recall if the Kindly Man specifically calls her out on it, but to me warging would be right up the alley of an elite group of assassins.

He asks her for three things she learned, she gives him two with her third being that she knows it is him attacking her. He asks how she knows, and she says she has already given him his three.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

BlindSite posted:

It looks to me like he originally had the idea to simply have the Lannisters as the ruling house and the starks as their former closest allies who together deposed the Targs rather than having such a sprawling number of houses. Why he changed it I dunno.

It really does. It really feels like all the payoff delays were the result of him first sincerely planning out an ending and thinking, "I'll finish this here" - and then deciding, "Nope, why should I? I'll do the exact opposite thing instead."

That also explains the problems with getting to the ending, heh. Because he'd probably really, really love to frustrate his planned ending again. And this time, he really... can't.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
itshappening.jpg

Reddit is on the case.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

Why are you weirdos focusing only on the third point of me saying she's not following FM training? There was even an etc at the end of it. There's other poo poo like her still killing Raff after being blinded as punishment.

Arya isn't conforming to FM training, this isn't even debatable.

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Emma Watson is what runs trivia teams.

In It For The Tank posted:

itshappening.jpg

Reddit is on the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Midnight City posted:

Why are you weirdos focusing only on the third point of me saying she's not following FM training? There was even an etc at the end of it. There's other poo poo like her still killing Raff after being blinded as punishment.

Arya isn't conforming to FM training, this isn't even debatable.

In some ways, it's difficult to tell what they actually expect of her vs. what they are telling her they expect with her training. I always took the blinding as something that was going to happen no matter what, they just moved that part of the training up once she killed that night's watch guy.

She is actively defying a lot of what they tell her though, and that will probably come to a head when they need her to seriously listen to them.

• Locked thread