Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Is that not satire?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

I don't want to surprise anyone, but the above author is:
- A man
- cis
- white
- straight
- went to a high class first/secondary education
- went to Oxford for a law degree
- burnt out of law within the year
- does "big data" without any formal training
- has exactly one publication - a popsci piece of trash

And, let's not forget, his main argument is that 'I can't post poo poo on twitter, SOME WOMAN is RUINING MY LIFE'. :reddit:

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.
GGers never have anything to tweet about besides GG crap, not even video games. You lose nothing at all by blocking them, and they lose nothing they were ever entitled to in the first place.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

gradenko_2000 posted:

So instead of a government mandate to have employees wash their hands after using the bathroom, you'll instead have a ... government mandate for a business to up signs indicating whether or not their employees are obliged to wash their hands after using the bathroom?

Well no, of course not, that's still government overreach, so instead the layman will just have to figure it out for their themselves whether any given establishment they're walking into practices safe food preparation :psyduck: I suppose he'll be able to figure it out via cultural osmosis.

Ha ha stupid liberal! Where you see confusion the enlightened libertarian sees OPPORTUNITY! For just the low, low price of 49.99 in bitcoin, or gold, you can hire my service. We specialize in following restaurant employees into the bathroom to observe hand washing technique or lack thereof. And for just twenty dollars more you can get on the deluxe package and we will give you the REAL report and not the one the restaurant is paying us to show you! See? Yet another way government is strangling business:next time you run of to Big Gov try thinking of all those hard working Hand Sanitation Engineers that don't have jobs. Yet ;)

hamster_style
Nov 24, 2004
neenjah!
Missed out on the whole anti-vaxx thing a few pages back, but this is... something. Adam Zapple is a Republican just-worlder I argue with any time I make a post that includes several keywords such as: "minimum wage", "conservative", "racist" etc... He tows the party line hard even though he works a blue-collar job as a government contractor. Up until this point he has never commented on anything anti-vaxx related that I have posted. It seems they're trying to make this a right/left + "MAH FREEDOMS!" issue. Thanks Rand Paul!

Click to make big.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Duke Igthorn posted:

Ha ha stupid liberal! Where you see confusion the enlightened libertarian sees OPPORTUNITY! For just the low, low price of 49.99 in bitcoin, or gold, you can hire my service. We specialize in following restaurant employees into the bathroom to observe hand washing technique or lack thereof. And for just twenty dollars more you can get on the deluxe package and we will give you the REAL report and not the one the restaurant is paying us to show you! See? Yet another way government is strangling business:next time you run of to Big Gov try thinking of all those hard working Hand Sanitation Engineers that don't have jobs. Yet ;)

Now I'm imagining a ratings agency with an ever-escalating tier system, where consumers that pay for tier C_x get accurate info on any business at tiers {B_1, ..., B_x-1} but false ratings for businesses that pay for tier B_x or higher.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

:psyduck:

How? How in this day and age?

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mornacale posted:

Now I'm imagining a ratings agency with an ever-escalating tier system, where consumers that pay for tier C_x get accurate info on any business at tiers {B_1, ..., B_x-1} but false ratings for businesses that pay for tier B_x or higher.

The libertarian taxi service Uber has something like that wherein you can pay extra to hire a background checked driver with an inspected car. Don't worry though:the free market will ferret out any ratings businesses that rate in an underhanded manner, in fact, for just 18 bitcoins a month (minimum of three years) you can sign up for my ratings company rating service! We rate the companies that rate companies so you know just which companies you can trust to rate companies! Act now and get a free one day upgrade to our rating company rating company rating company service! Find out TODAY which rating company you can trust to rate the rating company rating the companies you use every day!

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
You basically just described the chain of trust for SSL certs.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Mornacale posted:

What happens when the list of companies that are paying any tier above zero gets out since those are clearly filthy people and should just be avoided without having to pay anything?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

gradenko_2000 posted:

So instead of a government mandate to have employees wash their hands after using the bathroom, you'll instead have a ... government mandate for a business to up signs indicating whether or not their employees are obliged to wash their hands after using the bathroom?

Well no, of course not, that's still government overreach, so instead the layman will just have to figure it out for their themselves whether any given establishment they're walking into practices safe food preparation :psyduck: I suppose he'll be able to figure it out via cultural osmosis.
Even with the mandated signs it's still bullshit, for the same reasons as the anti-vaxxers.

Because gently caress measles and polio, let's bring back loving typhoid and hepA. It's your free choice if you want to go to a restaurant where you get typhoid fever, it's not like there's any way that it can spread to other people afterward without their informed consent. :psyduck:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Something about the Therac-25 comparison just infuriates me. The reason why that's a common case study nowadays is becuse there the programming mistake lead to a situation where actual people were literally killed to death. It's not some abstract ethical lesson about the individual vs. society, it's a basic "make sure your poo poo works properly outside of a vacuum because actual people may depend on it in real life". Suffice to say that some nerds not having their inane tweets read by quite as many people as they'd like is not even close to being in the same league. Hell, even on a :spergin:-level the comparison doesn't hold up , as it's neither a race condition nor an unexpected consequence, it's doing exactly what it says on the tin and this manchild is just unhappy about that.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

"software mishaps that affect real lives"

Can someone explain to me how being blocked by feminists on Twitter has ruined some MRA-lite's life?

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Fulchrum posted:

What happens when the list of companies that are paying any tier above zero gets out since those are clearly filthy people and should just be avoided without having to pay anything?

It will be impossible to distinguish from the ginned-up lists already leaked by any company worth its salt. None of these can be verified by the ratings agency itself, of course, since part of the service would be to show you as a B_0 business to any consumer without a sufficient clearance.

My best guess is that the most stable long-term outcome would be that consumers automatically distrust any company that appears to be B_0 tier (since no matter how much they pay, it could always just be a company that paid more) and instead regard B_1 companies as the most trustworthy (since it would be the lowest verifiably-true tier). Account sharing would be strictly prohibited, but consumers only need to buy the C_2 tier. (Alternately, account sharing is allowed but the price for consumer tiers skyrockets and has to be managed by the formation of collectives of consumers that pool resources.)

So basically we end up with individuals and corporations being compelled to pay a tax to the ratings company to finance testing of product safety and efficacy. But unlike a state, you get added benefits: a serious free rider problem, the fact that the poor can be ruthlessly exploited, and the fact that the entire apparatus could collapse at any time. Praise the market!

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Mornacale posted:

Praise the market!

Alternate answer for Libertopia: Lots and lots of lengthy trade secret / breach of contract / defamation / violation of IP rights litigation, possibly all at once to obfuscate the issue, because if there's one thing free-market fellatio aficionados love, it's fucktons of litigation to decide whose rights are really "right".

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
What is the name of the website that changes names in posts?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Gravel Gravy posted:

What is the name of the website that changes names in posts?

SocialFixer

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

Alternate answer for Libertopia: Lots and lots of lengthy trade secret / breach of contract / defamation / violation of IP rights litigation, possibly all at once to obfuscate the issue, because if there's one thing free-market fellatio aficionados love, it's fucktons of litigation to decide whose rights are really "right".

Oh, of course, I was just posting about the hypothetical where such a company is actually allowed to exist, which is essentially the best-case scenario. In actuality, libertopia would be a feudal society with vast masses of serfs ruled from birth to death by a few oligarchs that own all the land, so there'd be little need for Yelp.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Thanks.

Probably pretty mild in comparison to some that get posted but the details of the US Torture program really have stuck in my craw so I felt compelled to.

Don't think I'm going to reply any further. Theo while having pretty odious political views and being disgusting in general also has a history of sending death threats to the president(was investigated), yelling obscenities and getting belligerent during academic meetings, as well as stalking and threatening other people in my graduate program. The guy that posted it and everyone else seem to want to avoid the discussion anyway, so don't see the point in engaging further.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Gin and Juche fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Feb 5, 2015

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
My dad sends me a lot of chain emails and shared Facebook posts, but over time as I continually dig up the actual sources and show the misconceptions, his motivation has changed from "Hey look at this thing" to "Hey is this legit?" so I'm really glad he's becoming more skeptical about this sort of thing. He sent me this

quote:

Hard to argue with this:

A German Jew's View on Islam – well worth reading. This is one of the
best explanations of the Muslim terrorist situation I have ever read.
His references to past history are accurate and clear. Not long, easy
to understand, and well worth the read. The author of this email is
Dr. Emanuel Tanya, a well-known and well-respected psychiatrist. A
man, whose family was German aristocracy prior to World War II, owned
a number of large industries and estates. When asked how many German
people were true Nazis, the answer he gave can guide our attitude
toward fanaticism.

'Very few people were true Nazis,' he said, 'but many enjoyed the
return of German pride, and many more were too busy to care. I was one
of those who just thought the Nazis were a bunch of fools. So, the
majority just sat back and let it all happen. Then, before we knew it,
they owned us, and we had lost control, and the end of the world had
come.’

‘My family lost everything. I ended up in a concentration camp and the
Allies destroyed my factories.'

‘We are told again and again by 'experts' and 'talking heads' that
Islam is a religion of peace and that the vast majority of Muslims
just want to live in peace. Although this unqualified assertion may be
true, it is entirely irrelevant. It is meaningless fluff meant to make
us feel better, and meant to somehow diminish the spectre of fanatics
rampaging across the globe in the name of Islam.’

‘The fact is that the fanatics rule Islam at this moment in history.
It is the fanatics who march. It is the fanatics who wage any one of
50 shooting wars worldwide. It is the fanatics who systematically
slaughter Christian or tribal groups throughout Africa and are
gradually taking over the entire continent in an Islamic wave. It is
the fanatics who bomb, behead, murder, or honour-kill. It is the
fanatics who take over mosque after mosque. It is the fanatics who
zealously spread the stoning and hanging of rape victims and
homosexuals. It is the fanatics who teach their young to kill and to
become suicide bombers.’

‘The hard, quantifiable fact is that the peaceful majority, the
'silent majority,' is cowed and extraneous. Communist Russia was
comprised of Russians who just wanted to live in peace, yet the
Russian Communists were responsible for the murder of about
20 million people. The peaceful majority were irrelevant. China's huge
population was peaceful as well, but Chinese Communists managed to
kill a staggering 70 million people.’

‘The average Japanese individual prior to World War II was not a
warmongering sadist. Yet, Japan murdered and slaughtered its way
across South East Asia in an orgy of killing that included the
systematic murder of 12 million Chinese civilians; most killed by
sword, shovel, and bayonet. And who can forget Rwanda, which collapsed
into butchery? Could it not be said that the majority of Rwandans were
'peace loving'?

‘History lessons are often incredibly simple and blunt, yet for all
our powers of reason, we often miss the most basic and uncomplicated
of points: peace-loving Muslims have been made irrelevant by their
silence. Peace-loving Muslims will become our enemy if they don't
speak up, because like my friend from Germany , they will awaken one
day and find that the fanatics own them, and the end of their world
will have begun.’

‘Peace-loving Germans, Japanese, Chinese, Russians, Rwandans, Serbs,
Afghans, Iraqis, Palestinians, Somalis, Nigerians, Algerians, and many
others have died because the peaceful majority did not speak up until
it was too late.’

‘Now Islamic prayers have been introduced in Toronto and other public
schools in Ontario , and, yes, in Ottawa , too, while the Lord's
Prayer was removed (due to being so offensive?). The Islamic way may
be peaceful for the time being in our country until the fanatics move
in.’

‘In Australia , and indeed in many countries around the world, many of
the most commonly consumed food items have the halal emblem on them.
Just look at the back of some of the most popular chocolate bars, and
at other food items in your local supermarket. Food on aircraft have
the halal emblem just to appease the privileged minority who are now
rapidly expanding within the nation's shores.’

‘In the U.K, the Muslim communities refuse to integrate and there are
now dozens of "no-go" zones within major cities across the country
that the police force dare not intrude upon. Sharia law prevails
there, because the Muslim community in those areas refuse to
acknowledge British law.’

‘As for us who watch it all unfold, we must pay attention to the only
group that counts - the fanatics who threaten our way of life.’

Lastly, anyone who doubts that the issue is serious and just deletes
this email without sending it on, is contributing to the passiveness
that allows the problems to expand.

Extend yourself a bit and send this on. Let us hope that thousands
world-wide read this, think about it, and send it on before it's too
late, and we are silenced because we were silent!!!

This is what I've got so far:

quote:

Hey dad, hope you're doing well!

This article was originally written in 2006 by a Canadian blogger who did not name his source, only saying it was a German acquaintance of his (http://cjunk.blogspot.com/2006/02/why-peaceful-majority-is-irrelevant.html). Dr. Emanuel Tanay, who passed away a few years ago, was Lithuanian and had nothing to do with the creation of the article, and it's unclear when or why his name became attached to it. The central issue with the article is the assumption that Islam is a single, unified organization - the comparison to a country like Germany is faulty, because Germans at the beginning of WW2 were all living in the same 147,000 square mile area, subject to the same laws, reeling from the same defeat in WWI. If Islam at its very base is corrupt and spiteful towards the American way of life, why aren't we at war with countries like Indonesia, Turkey, India, Bangladesh, and Nigeria (all of which have more Muslim residents than Iraq and Afghanistan)?

Plus the idea that most Muslims are sitting in silence, refusing to speak up against extremism is offensively wrong, when I can post links to peace rallies until I'm blue in the face -
http://kfor.com/2014/09/19/oklahoma-muslims-rally-against-isis/
http://www.thelocal.de/20140919/german-muslims-rally-against-extremism
http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/thousands-uk-muslims-hold-mass-peace-rally-1453603
http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/hundreds-join-peaceful-je-suis-muslim-rally-sydney-28441588
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/anti-extremism-rally-held-in-toronto-1.2939349
http://www.keyetv.com/news/features/top-stories/stories/peaceful-muslim-texas-capitol-rally-draws-protesters-23822.shtml

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

From what I understand, the line that most Germans didn't support the Nazis or weren't aware of their crimes is also generally regarded as an oversimplification at best. Someone else will probably be able to provide more information about this however.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Ho boy...

Conservative Tribute (because of course) posted:

The murder of “American Sniper” author Chris Kyle is getting even more attention now that the movie adaptation of his best-selling memoir has become one of the biggest hits of the year.

Now, as his murderer is about to go on trial, shocking information about his motives may shed new light on the case.

According to an organization known as the Warfighter Foundation, there are two discomforting facts that the group uncovered in their investigation of Eddie Ray Routh, Kyle’s killer: he likely didn’t suffer from PTSD and he may have been a sympathizer of Islamist organizations.

The information, which came from a Freedom of Information Act request from by group, states that “During a phone call with his father, Routh expressed sympathy for the detainees and discontent over how the U.S. was conducting the war as well as his reluctance to engage in combat.”

“While working as a guard at Balad Air Base, Routh laments his (Muslim) prisoners’ poor living conditions,” the report also reads.

There is, one must point out, no evidence that Routh had converted to Islam, merely information suggesting that he may have sympathized with the Islamist organizations to which his prisoners belonged (H/T Allen West).

As for his post-traumatic stress disorder, the Warfighter Foundation points out that Routh’s experiences in the military made such a diagnosis unlikely.

“Eddie Routh served one tour in Iraq in 2007, at Balad Air Base (the 2nd largest U.S. installation in Iraq), with no significant events. No combat experience,” the organization said.

“Let me say that again, he NEVER SAW COMBAT or any aspect of traumatic events associated with a combat deployment (i.e. incoming mortar or rocket fire). He never left the base, EVER.”

And the base he was stationed at wasn’t exactly a spartan experience: “Balad Air Base had a Pizza Hut, 24 hour Burger King, Subway, Popeye’s, Baskin Robbins, movie theater, and even a miniature golf course. It even had a strictly enforced 10 mile per hour speed limit!”

I understand eating at Pizza Hut isn’t the most pleasant experience in the world, but it hardly qualifies as traumatic.

While Routh had been experiencing deteriorating mental health, his PTSD had been self-diagnosed — and as everyone who’s ever been in an Internet chat room knows, self-diagnosis isn’t exactly the most reliable form of medical attention.

While it’s unknown whether or not Routh’s possible Islamist sympathies had anything to do with his targeting of Kyle, it’s certainly as plausible of a theory as self-diagnosed PTSD.

However, PTSD fits a convenient media narrative about the privations and savagery of military life during the Bush administration, whereas possible Islamist sympathies sounds politically incorrect.

So if you’re wondering why you hear one and not the other, well, there you go.

"He objected to the awful way prisoners were treated?! SYMPATHIZER! Also, how can he possibly have PTSD if he never saw combat?! MAKES YOU THINK!"

This is one of three articles this person has posted basically saying either that Routh was secret islamic assassin (because they needed to take out glorious American hero Chris Kyle) or that his PTSD wasn't "real" PTSD and he was just a wuss.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Ugh James Woods IRL has turned into a significantly worse person than his portrayal of HR Haldeman

Lansdowne
Dec 28, 2008

It's amazing how easily a guy can go from troubled hero to fast-food-eating weakling if it helps someone advance a point. Why, it's almost like certain people only 'support the troops' to the extent that it helps them personally without actually giving a drat!

CowHammer
Feb 18, 2013

Scruff McGruff posted:

Ho boy...

"He objected to the awful way prisoners were treated?! SYMPATHIZER! Also, how can he possibly have PTSD if he never saw combat?! MAKES YOU THINK!"

This is one of three articles this person has posted basically saying either that Routh was secret islamic assassin (because they needed to take out glorious American hero Chris Kyle) or that his PTSD wasn't "real" PTSD and he was just a wuss.

Chris Kyle seemed to think Routh had PTSD. Are you calling him a liar????? :911:

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

CowHammer posted:

Chris Kyle seemed to think Routh had PTSD. Are you calling him a liar????? :911:

It's okay if the noble American hero is taken in by the deceptions of a low-down dirty deceiver crypto-Muslim when he was just trying to help a fellow vet.

Sulphuric Sundae
Feb 10, 2006

You can't go in there.
Your father is dead.
With regard to the SF bookstore blaming the min wage increase, Romney came through Richmond, VA during his campaign and met with the guy who ran a local BBQ chain. He was going out of business and told Romney it was because of Obama and the economy, while a lot of people were going "Bullshit, you just made really bad BBQ."
A competing local BBQ chain responded by saying they'd recently gotten a business loan thanks to Obama's policies and got to expand :lol:

Edit: Here's the article

Sulphuric Sundae fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Feb 5, 2015

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

CowHammer posted:

A Freeper somewhere just whispered "Taqiyya" and doesn't know why...

But that's seriously how they're going to spin it. The whole idea is straight up McCarthyism.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Hey did you guys know Hitler claimed to "love the Koran" and prayed five times a day? Also Ghenghis Khan used his enemies as prayer rugs and refused to eat pork and Judas faced Mecca when refusing Jesus? Also John Hinkley Jr's last words were "By Allah I'm coming to meet you for my 72 virgins!!"

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Chimera-gui posted:

My relative was also ranting about that very thing, they even said that if a high school girl got pregnant she should be cared for by her parents.

I'm totally okay with someone bringing up some statistical analysis from more than one source. But lying or just putting your head in the sand is the worst thing.

This cuts for any party, but I don't really want to make policy decisions on feelings.

FWIW everything can eat my rear end and spend half the military budget on infrastructure and education, please

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

Ugh, this one just popped up on my facebook feed.

From a former classmate who, like me, was born in 1986 and went to high school in the 2000's. :psyduck:

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

Do you remember how we used to breathe and watch it
and feel such power and feel such joy, to be ice dragons and be so free. -Noe Venable

I don't get the Chris Kyle craze. Who knows how much of his memoir was really true? Just look at the defamation case brought about by Jesse Ventura regarding the alleged punching incident.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Pixelated Dragon posted:

I don't get the Chris Kyle craze. Who knows how much of his memoir was really true? Just look at the defamation case brought about by Jesse Ventura regarding the alleged punching incident.

I'd estimate at least half of the people venerating him and going OOH RAH CHRIS KYLE WAS A TRUE MURKIN PATRIOT were wearing purple heart bandaids or at least talking about how John Kerry wasn't a real soldier in 2004.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

He killed a lot of Muslims/enemy terrorists/whoever so therefor he's a hero to our country since without that we'd all be speaking Arabic or whatever right now.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Pixelated Dragon posted:

He's a war hero who wanted to act like a movie war hero. That alone gets them hard.

Who cares about the human aspect of Chris Kyle?

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
Is there some handy resources for the racist "Islam is an evil religion, it just is" crap that crops up on facebook?

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Zeitgueist posted:

Is there some handy resources for the racist "Islam is an evil religion, it just is" crap that crops up on facebook?

Serious post: Maybe check the South Poverty Law Center. They may have some stuff on this. But really it's not gonna matter. People love to hate.

Crain fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Feb 5, 2015

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Fair point, but I find some value in arguing with people who have bad opinions(hence I post in D&D), and the person in question is not a friend, but rather a person posting on a friend's status, a friend who is not nearly so bigoted.

However, dude is mad about ISIS and I'm attempting to moderate the rhetoric a bit with facts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Zeitgueist posted:

Fair point, but I find some value in arguing with people who have bad opinions(hence I post in D&D), and the person in question is not a friend, but rather a person posting on a friend's status, a friend who is not nearly so bigoted.

However, dude is mad about ISIS and I'm attempting to moderate the rhetoric a bit with facts.

I get ya. Unless there's some specific claims he's making there's probably not much to point to. People just love to hate and even pointing out that they're wrong on specifics will just net a "Well they're still a [slur here].

Maybe try CAIR. But again that's only good for specific claims and not random, plain old racism.

EDIT: Actually just found this: There's a D&D thread specifically for helping people debate and discuss things like this with links to studies. There's a bunch of general topics but there may be something of use in the thread for this: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3443984

Crain fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Feb 5, 2015