Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Aw, he's adorable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

All we need now is a gui with a status bar it'll be just like the movies.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
people really need better things to do with their time other than trying to 'decode' the outlune of a theoretical 2nd book that doesnt even exist and that has the majority of its story before it already changed by the author.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Yeah I really don't understand this. Honestly even if the secret to the ending of ASOIAF really is hidden under those censor bars I very emphatically do not want to know it.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Irish Joe posted:

All we need now is a gui with a status bar it'll be just like the movies.

Enhance!

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

In It For The Tank posted:

itshappening.jpg

Reddit is on the case.

I wish I could find that scene from Manhunter where they're analyzing Lecter's toiler paper message.

"You think you're so sly... but so am I."

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

TommyGun85 posted:

people really need better things to do with their time other than trying to 'decode' the outlune of a theoretical 2nd book that doesnt even exist and that has the majority of its story before it already changed by the author.

It's redditthis is prob the best possible use of their time they're gonna get

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
I like fire, you can have some too.

Midnight City posted:

Arya isn't conforming to FM training, this isn't even debatable.

She is conforming in the sense that she is earnestly attempting to learn what they teach her, the only part where she isn't conforming really is holding onto her identity as Arya.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

Blind Melon posted:

She is conforming in the sense that she is earnestly attempting to learn what they teach her, the only part where she isn't conforming really is holding onto her identity as Arya.

Which is what they repeatedly tell her is the most important thing and blind her for not obeying, only for her to again do the exact same thing she did before said blindness punishment.

I'm conforming to veganism except for all the meat I'm eating.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Best Buy exclusives finally came out:

Totally getting that :black101: Martell cover.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Midnight City posted:

Which is what they repeatedly tell her is the most important thing and blind her for not obeying, only for her to again do the exact same thing she did before said blindness punishment.

I don't know. My (stupid) interpretation is that they blinded her early because they saw promise in her and wanted to refine it asap, and they took the blindness away when she started using her unique gifts (warging) to her advantage.

Her killing Raff will probably have bad repercussions though.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.

GonSmithe posted:

Best Buy exclusives finally came out:

Totally getting that :black101: Martell cover.

It saddens me that Greyjoy & Baratheon are absent. The Greyjoy sigil is by far the most badass looking.

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009
We need a dickbutt decoded from the blacked-out text.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Oh good the Reddit internet detective squad is on the case, thy have such an impressive track record

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Even Waterstones is complaining. They also took down the tweet. Too late, GRRM.

Kevyn posted:

Oh good the Reddit internet detective squad is on the case, thy have such an impressive track record

They just cracked it.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Ague Proof posted:

Even Waterstones is complaining. They also took down the tweet. Too late, GRRM.

They just cracked it.

lmao

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Midnight City posted:

Was blindness a punishment? I always thought it was simply part of her training and the purpose was to teach her to listen for bits and pieces of valuable information when she's walking amongst the crowds. This is further reinforced with her trainer asking her to repeat three important things she learned (i.e. heard) that day.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

enraged_camel posted:

Was blindness a punishment? I always thought it was simply part of her training and the purpose was to teach her to listen for bits and pieces of valuable information when she's walking amongst the crowds. This is further reinforced with her trainer asking her to repeat three important things she learned (i.e. heard) that day.

Yes it was a punishment, it was given to her right after she killed the Night's Watch deserter and the guy even made an elaborate gesture of offering it to "Arya" as a test.

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/A_Feast_for_Crows-Chapter_34

quote:

When the kindly man asks who killed him, she replies, "Arya of House Stark." The priest again asks her who she is, to which she answers, "no one". But, as always, he tells her she lies, then asks the waif to bring "Arya" some warm milk to help her sleep. Arya goes to bed, but upon awakening in the morning, she discovers that she is blind.

Midnight City fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Feb 5, 2015

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
No, it was a part of the training. When Arya first says she wants to join the Faceless Men, the Kindly Man warns her that the Many-Faced God takes everything from his followers, including their senses: "Stay, and the Many-Faced God will take your ears, your nose, your tongue. He will take your sad grey eyes that have seen so much. He will take your hands, your feet, your arms and legs, your private parts. He will take your hopes and dreams, your loves and hates. Those who enter His service must give up all that makes them who they are."

Arya's vigilantism just accelerated her through the program.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

I think you're looking way too deep into that speech, he's only saying you give up everything unless you think they're also going to make her go deaf, lose her sense of smell, amputate a few limbs, etc in in the course of training her before giving them back.

The part I quoted is so obviously a punishment I don't even know what else could be argued about it.

vv I don't remember anything about taking her hearing and I'm skimming the chapter trying to find it

Midnight City fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Feb 5, 2015

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

In It For The Tank posted:

No, it was a part of the training. When Arya first says she wants to join the Faceless Men, the Kindly Man warns her that the Many-Faced God takes everything from his followers, including their senses: "Stay, and the Many-Faced God will take your ears, your nose, your tongue. He will take your sad grey eyes that have seen so much. He will take your hands, your feet, your arms and legs, your private parts. He will take your hopes and dreams, your loves and hates. Those who enter His service must give up all that makes them who they are."

Arya's vigilantism just accelerated her through the program.

Yeah it was both, a punishment and part of the training it was just to come later. Pretty sure once she regained her sight the Kindly Man mentioned that and also mentioned they'd be taking her hearing next.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

There's literally a bit in ADWD that says that the blindness was a part of the training intended to come a bit later on.

I don't see giving her training early as much of a punishment. At worse it was a lesson applied when it was needed most.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Okay, went and checked ADWD. It was part of the training, acceleratsd because Arya is a precocious killer.

The Blind Girl, ADWD:

"The kindly man had told her that they would have taken her eyes from her anyway, to help her to learn to use her other senses, but not for half a year. Blind acolytes were common in the House of Black and White, but few as young as she."

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

So part punishment part reward, you crafty Faceless Men you.

Insert technically right.jpg

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Midnight City posted:

I think you're looking way too deep into that speech, he's only saying you give up everything unless you think they're also going to make her go deaf, lose her sense of smell, amputate a few limbs, etc in in the course of training her before giving them back.

The part I quoted is so obviously a punishment I don't even know what else could be argued about it.

vv I don't remember anything about taking her hearing and I'm skimming the chapter trying to find it

It's in the Ugly Little Girl, ADwD chapter 64, like page 2 or 3. "We took your eyes and gave them back. Next we'll take your ears and you'll walk in silence." I'd copy/paste it but Kindle Cloudreader is a dick and won't let me I guess...also mention taking her legs after that. I'm guessing this will be skipped over next book, but who knows.

Also I think the punishment side of it was partly the acceleration and partly doing it without warning.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

It's kind of hard to understand what the point of Arya's story really is. Sure, there's pretty clear themes about her hiding that she's still a Stark, the whole lone wolf vs. pack thing, the effect of becoming a murderer used as a tool, but what the actual point of her plot in the larger story is isn't clear.

I don't think she'll revive the Starks, Rickon exists to be a Stark in a bottle for the end of the series and even if they were restored she doesn't seem like she'd fit in with that life anymore. Being sent to assassinate Sansa gets thrown around from time to time, possibly because it's the only plot anyone can come up with to make her life relevant to the overarching story. Even then, that'd still only make her relevant as a wrench in the works of Littlefinger and Sansa's plot - if she succeeds or otherwise derails their plotline, now following Arya andSansa was pointless, while if she fails and Sansa and Littlefinger keep going then what did she accomplish?

Are we just following her for her own sake, since she's one of the Stark kids and ASoIaF is largely the Starks' story? Maybe she has her fans, but honestly I found once she got into the whole Faceless Man training her chapters became dull. Sansa, by contrast, was a complete bore for most of her story except as a window into what interesting players in Kings Landing were up to and now what Littlefinger is up to, and might finally be about to become interesting on her own - Arya killing her would not improve that direction.

Although I guess if Arya didn't assassinate Sansa and they teamed up again, a budding schemer and an apprentice assassin could be a good team. Guess we'll have to wait for season 6 to find out!

Dolash fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Feb 5, 2015

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I firmly believe Arya's arc ends with her killing Jon and wakes up from Kindly Man's spell at the same time.

COOKIEMONSTER
Oct 31, 2006
As an affluent straight white male I know quite a bit second hand what it's like to be incredibly poor and oppressed.
It was probably also a way to bind Arya to the faceless men. The point wasn't necessarily that she couldn't/shouldn't have killed him; it was that she killed him because of an attachment she had to her previous life. Maybe I'm thinking too much into it, but blinding her kind of acts as a bullet point separating her from her old life. Stuff like that can make people think in radically different ways, it sounded more like the beginnings of brainwashing than a punishment.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Surely the title of the second book is the underlined part of the first line?

Also, assuming that they're right about what they have so far, that word in the third last line has got to be "assembled", right?

Really riveting stuff this!

It isn't even the ending it seems, just describing the second book.

limeincoke
Jul 3, 2005

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Aren't the faceless men trying to birth a dragon or figure out how to kill them? That could easily tie into everything else.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Here's a crappy low-quality agglomeration of what reddit has come up with so far:

e: s/slowly/Daenerys Stormborn/

Mortabis fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Feb 6, 2015

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Mortabis posted:

Here's a crappy low-quality agglomeration of what reddit has come up with so far:

e: s/slowly/Daenerys Stormborn/

Is there a thread for this on Reddit?

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Professor Shark posted:

Is there a thread for this on Reddit?

http://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/2usz8v/spoilers_all_uncovering_the_blanked_text_in_grrms/

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

*Lifts visor, almost imperceptibly nods in appreciation, drops visor and returns hand to sword*

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

So there is no photoshop version of "the more she shat" yet?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Dolash posted:

I don't think she'll revive the Starks, Rickon exists to be a Stark in a bottle for the end of the series and even if they were restored she doesn't seem like she'd fit in with that life anymore. Being sent to assassinate Sansa gets thrown around from time to time, possibly because it's the only plot anyone can come up with to make her life relevant to the overarching story. Even then, that'd still only make her relevant as a wrench in the works of Littlefinger and Sansa's plot - if she succeeds or otherwise derails their plotline, now following Arya andSansa was pointless, while if she fails and Sansa and Littlefinger keep going then what did she accomplish?

Was the Hound's story pointless?

I would say ruining Littlefinger is pretty important, even if you're only looking at the larger picture.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

The Hound played an important part of other peoples' stories, and maaaaaay yet come back to play one last role (though probably not), but he wasn't a perspective character and mostly served to enable those characters in some way.

Perspective characters seem to need a reason why they're worth following. part of what made Quentyn frustrating is he didn't really accomplish much in his plotline besides loosing the dragons and possibly causing a rift between Danaerys and the Martells. Not that driving one of Westeros's great houses from Dany and toward Aegon is a small thing, but it might not have been enough to warrant as much book-time as he got - the show will probably make do without him at all. Arya is a much larger character and has had a lot more time spent on her, it seems only fitting she should have a bigger impact. Foiling Littlefinger and Sansa just means their two plot threads would cancel out (or at least it could go that way).

I guess this gets at one of the core challenges and frustrations of a big series like A Song of Ice And Fire, there's all these disparate plots and characters but there's also overarching plots about the Iron Throne and the Others that promise to tie everything together, so long plot threads that don't tie in to these (or only slightly) can try the readers' patience. There's a reason everyone's going mad waiting for Dany to get to Westeros already.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
I've been thinking she'll wind up killing Daenerys or possibly Aegon...which, if he has been replaced with Gendry, would be way cooler in the show.

My current hypothesis is that Jon Snow winds up being king (for reasons I've described before) and married to Sansa (for reasons also described before) and that means Dany has to get out of the way somehow. That leaked note that Reddit is currently trying to decode lends some credence to this--the rivalry between Tyrion and Jon Snow would remain over the fact that Sansa is still married to Tyrion.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
Arya will kill Bran aka The Great Other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Arya will fail to kill Melisandre.

Or maybe she will succeed.

Every way she dies.

• Locked thread