Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Every person that you dismiss should have a chance of becoming a crazed high level mini boss later on that you will just randomly encounter. :getin:

And yes I'm being serious because that would own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

S.J. posted:

Every person that you dismiss should have a chance of becoming a crazed high level mini boss later on that you will just randomly encounter. :getin:

Actually yeah that would. Just a chance that they show up later on as an opponent in a random fight.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Jackard posted:

Those people can take their point and stuff it

Suicide farming is just as much an exploit but you don't see any arguments over it

Suicide farming is an exploit that fits the themes the game is going for. Life is cheap and you (the player) are a bastard sending men and women to their deaths at the hands of horrors they weren't prepared for. Stun healing is leaving an enemy alive when you could trivially dispatch it so that you can use abilities that are powered by its presence and otherwise unavailable for very deliberate design reasons. The two exploits have similarities but significant differences.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Ruzihm posted:

All this hate on plague doctor and I think his ability to stun the back 2 spots with one move is p. cool. At least for level 1 dungeons.

It is a nice skill, however, that is her only standout skill (IMO) and most monsters are more resistant to stuns at higher levels. Her DoTs are decent, but by the time she has stacked a few on one enemy, another party member could likely have outright killed it with direct attacks (or a party of attackers focused it down in a single turn).

Now if she had an attack that did extra damage to blighted and/or bleeding targets, as someone suggested, that would be pretty cool.

I also agree with the idea that she could use a minor HP heal to add utility. Perhaps add a minor Heal-Over-Time to Battlefield Medicine or as a new skill. Say 1or 2 HP healed per turn for 3 turns. Maybe let it stack if you only do 1/turn.

I suggest a HoT because she's all about DoTs so it kind of fits. Plus we don't seem to have any HoTs currently, but maybe that is intentional. A HoT could certainly backfire if an Adventurer gets repeatedly beaten/healed in/out of Death's Door, causing severe stress gain.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Remove the bleed effect from Incision and make it deal additional damage based on how many ticks of blight or bleed damage are left on the enemy. Encourage synergy with hellions & highwaymen, ala the occultist/bounty hunter. Change the skill name to something like Bad Medicine. See how they wither and die!

Mental Midget
Apr 18, 2005

We're glad you could play SQIV. As usual, you've been a real pantload.
What's the general agreed-upon progression of upgrading stuff? I read Hieronymous's guide in the OP (very helpful by the way) but now I'm getting to the point where I'm starting to level decent heroes. Should I be going as follows for upgrading in order of priority?

Stagecoach
Guild Hall
Blacksmith
All other stress relievers

Basically I don't know the right moment to really start investing my gold into upgrading. Any tips would be very helpful!

Mental Midget fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Feb 5, 2015

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

TheBlandName posted:

Suicide farming is an exploit that fits the themes the game is going for. Life is cheap and you (the player) are a bastard sending men and women to their deaths at the hands of horrors they weren't prepared for.
Your lv0 recruits should straight up say "no gently caress off" and refuse to embark without at least 4 food, maybe 2-4 torches

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Internet Kraken posted:

And I think these people have a really distorted view of this game based on how much easier it gets later on. When you're just starting out, its very easy for the RNG to go crazy and get into a really bad situation. You have less control over fights due to poor party comp, no upgrade, etc. This also the only point in the game where you can really lock yourself into a failure state since you need money to do dungeons but lose money if you back out. Basically, the player has no way to deal with someone getting blown down to critical HP through bad luck in a short mission early on. Can't heal outside of combat, can't camp because its too small, can't back out because your budget is too tight.

They might have a distorted view, but I'm pretty sure I don't. I haven't even gotten a guy to rank2 yet, so I'm still no where near late game stuff. I have run into some fights that really creamed my party compared to others (goddamn bandits), but if you take the advice of leveling your stagecoach first, and don't waste money on curing people for a while, and take Heironymous's provisioning guide, I really don't see how you can get into a failure state. I mean, my like 3rd week I sent off all my super high stress guys on a suicide run because my recruits were crap and I wanted a healer before really trying, and despite rolling no torches and 100 stress I actually cleared the dungeon. I've had to pull out of dungeons early because of a rough fight, and still came out a little positive on cash, plus the heirloom stuff.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Mental Midget posted:

What's the general agreed-upon progression of upgrading stuff? I read Hieronymous's guide in the OP (very helpful by the way) but now I'm getting to the point where I'm starting to level decent heroes. Should I be going as follows for upgrading in order of priority?

Stagecoach
Guild Hall
Blacksmith

Basically I don't know the right moment to really start investing my gold into upgrading. Any tips would be very helpful!

poo poo, I don't either :P

I think the best advice at this point is, for stress relievers, to level up your Bar and Prayer (that's the cheapest Abbey option, right?) to max first. I think once you have a party of level 3's it's worth thinking about investing in your guild hall and blacksmith but the more time you can spend just collecting a strong stable of solid lowbies the better. Farm lowbies and just keep dumping resources into your town generally.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

paranoid randroid posted:

Remove the bleed effect from Incision and make it deal additional damage based on how many ticks of blight or bleed damage are left on the enemy. Encourage synergy with hellions & highwaymen, ala the occultist/bounty hunter. Change the skill name to something like Bad Medicine. See how they wither and die!

Salt The Wound?
Cautetize?
Iodine? :v:

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Plague doctors bombs ought to blight and debuff.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

or have it proc all remaining dots at once on hit :unsmigghh:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Not sure if this will ever come in handy for anyone but I discovered that after looting something, the game doesn't save until the loot box is closed. If you accidentally delete the wrong item while trying to make room or something, you can alt-f4 and reboot the game to get it back.

Does anyone know if the Bloodthirst Ring ("-100% More food consumed", +hp, -dodge) removes eating or makes you eat more? "-100% More food consumed" is awkwardly worded.

e: It also seems that alt-F4ing out of the game in some way gives you more light? I was doing a pure dark run and when I came back to the game after exiting I was at 50% light, 14 rooms in to a Long dungeon that I brought no torches to.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Feb 5, 2015

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Since bleeds stack, they already synergize quite well. I had a Hellion and a Highwayman put 11 point dots on a guy today. I do like the idea of PDs being more of the blight monsters than they already are.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

ZypherIM posted:

Also the people going on about how they need to stun-delay to heal, the point the other people are making is that you shouldn't get in a position where that becomes a thing you need to do. You made some sort of mistake earlier, either with party composition or how you handled the fights, but the game doesn't require you to do that to excel.

(narrator voice) The cemetery is filled with the rotting corpses of those who only did "what is required".

Internet Kraken posted:

And I think these people have a really distorted view of this game based on how much easier it gets later on.

There is an XCOM-like difficulty curve, which probably should be fixed, but I also think part of the reason the game gets substantially easier is that you just learn how to play it. A big part of this game's supposedly brutal difficulty is just the learning curve, since it's very unlike any other game, and actively confounds a lot of genre expectations. Like how could you possibly know how to provision well without having played the game a bunch? Knowing that you'll need a ton of shovels in the Weald makes a big difference, for example. Knowing that you should leave certain dungeon features alone makes a huge difference. Knowing how to fight the bosses, knowing the enemy attacks you'll face, knowing how to compose a party and what skills are good when.

The early game is too hard, and the mid-game is too easy, in part because they're both surprisingly easy, there's just a learning curve that makes the harder beginning a double whammy.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012
Upgrade priority is going to depend a lot on your success in the dungeons and how much gold you're hauling out of them. The more gold you have to spend the more you should prioritize (in order) the guild hall training level, the armor level, and the weapon level in the blacksmith. If you've got enough gold to seriously consider upgrading your heroes de-stressing is pretty affordable. If you're short on gold then stagecoach upgrades, the meditation hall, and the prayer place (only if your first crusader is still alive) make good spots to spend heirlooms. Unlocking a second slot in the meditation hall will often be better than spending the same heirlooms upgrading a different abbey room. Busts are less useful than portraits, so the abbey is easier to upgrade than the tavern. The Ruins are also simpler to clear and often more profitable than the Weald or the Warrens.

Never ever spend so much money upgrading a team that you can't afford provisions for the next mission, in case you have to retreat. Once you've spent money on a team they're not completely expendable, and you need to be prepared for the ultimate gently caress you if the game gives it to you in the first room. Focus on upgrading one or two skills per hero, instead of four. If you upgrade one skill on everyone in a party, you can often get the full benefit of your gold in a round. If you upgrade four skills on one hero you're only getting 25% of the benefit you paid for.

Jackard posted:

Your lv0 recruits should straight up say "no gently caress off" and refuse to embark without at least 4 food, maybe 2-4 torches

Why? So there can be a GAME OVER screen? Such things aren't part of the genre. It's always about continuing forward as best you can with your limited supplies. Hell, one of the exploits dating back to the first computer version was hiring new adventurers, taking their pocket money, and then firing them. Nobody cared because in terms of player time it's one of the worst ways to get cash, and it acted as a safety gap for people who really needed it if they were just a few gold short of recovering.

Funnypost Collabo posted:

Not sure if this will ever come in handy for anyone but I discovered that after looting something, the game doesn't save until the loot box is closed. If you accidentally delete the wrong item while trying to make room or something, you can alt-f4 and reboot the game to get it back.

Does anyone know if the Bloodthirst Ring ("-100% More food consumed", +hp, -dodge) removes eating or makes you eat more? "-100% More food consumed" is awkwardly worded.

You eat less. +100% More food consumed means you eat more. Between Bloodthirst Rings and Fasting Seals you can outfit a party that doesn't need food.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I think I've figured out what's up with everyone seeing wonky Sanitarum effects. The most recent patch removed Diseases from the list, you can't choose to remove Syphilis or Lockjaw or whatever anymore. It seems like there's a chance when using the Sanitarium that a disease is removed instead of the quirk you selected.

I'm not sure what kind of ramifications this has, e.g. if I can stick a character that has Syphilis but no negative, removable Quirk, in the Sanitarium but this makes diseases a whole lot worse.

TheBlandName posted:

You eat less. +100% More food consumed means you eat more. Between Bloodthirst Rings and Fasting Seals you can outfit a party that doesn't need food.

Thanks! Right after I read this I found the Grave Robber trinket that adds +15% damage (And +30% chance to Debuff skills for some reason) and has +100% More food consumed. I'm going to wear both and see what happens :twisted: (though I'm sure it will just be normal food consumption)

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Feb 5, 2015

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Little pro-tip: If you are walking down a hallway, at the last "box" before you enter the door, if you enter it really early (earliest possible to press W or click) you won't gain an extra torch proc, which you would get walking right up to the door

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

I think I've figured out what's up with everyone seeing wonky Sanitarum effects. The most recent patch removed Diseases from the list, you can't choose to remove Syphilis or Lockjaw or whatever anymore.

Are you sure?

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

victrix posted:

I find this game far less infuriating than FTL, and much easier :shobon:

My biggest gripe with FTL is that you can be locked into a losing state from the start, and not even know it until the end. When that happens you've pretty much wasted your time, as you didn't get any kind of advancement out of that run once you've unlocked the ships/finished the achievements.

At least with Darkest Dungeons if you go in with a team that's doomed to fail, you still have a chance to pull some loot out of the dungeon that you can use to make progress with.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I don't have a problem with stun-healing, I see it as your heroes getting their licks in. They're sadistic little bastards is all. It's like throwing a monster a blanket party.

I do think that after about round 5-10 there should be an increasing chance that other new monsters hear the noise and join the fun.

I think this is a terrible idea. I actually had at least 2 fights on my first dungeon run that dragged on for way too long thanks to RNG, and it probably would have made me give up on the game if it had suddenly gone "Whelp, you took too long, now have more monsters!".

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Does "mark" qualify as a debuff or is it some other thing that always applies to enemies/heroes regardless of resists?

Periodiko posted:

There is an XCOM-like difficulty curve, which probably should be fixed, but I also think part of the reason the game gets substantially easier is that you just learn how to play it. A big part of this game's supposedly brutal difficulty is just the learning curve, since it's very unlike any other game, and actively confounds a lot of genre expectations. Like how could you possibly know how to provision well without having played the game a bunch? Knowing that you'll need a ton of shovels in the Weald makes a big difference, for example. Knowing that you should leave certain dungeon features alone makes a huge difference. Knowing how to fight the bosses, knowing the enemy attacks you'll face, knowing how to compose a party and what skills are good when.

The early game is too hard, and the mid-game is too easy, in part because they're both surprisingly easy, there's just a learning curve that makes the harder beginning a double whammy.

Yeah learning is definitely a big part of it. A good game should be playable with you learning as you go along, and I think this game is mostly good about that. There are some things you can't learn until you make a mistake though. Such as the fact that enemies gently caress with positioning all the time, provisions are only good for one dungeon, a longer dungeon isn't neccesairly harder etc. There's also a lot of hidden stats that are hard to understand. I still don't get how speed works since it feels random at times.

Still, my first run I had I think 6 people dead by week 15 or so? This time I don't have ANYONE dead. Haven't had to retreat from a dungeon either.

EDIT: Though maybe I should wait until after I've killed the Hag to say that because that was the first part of my old run where I got absolutely destroyed.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Periodiko posted:

Are you sure?

I'm not sure, it's really weird. I have a Grave Robber that had Bad Gambler and Syphilis, she had just contracted Syphilis as a negative quirk after finishing the previous dungeon. I sent them in to the Sanitarium last week and only Bad Gambler was on the list, which I selected. I just got to the next week and the message says that Bad Gambler was removed and doesn't mention Syphilis, but her Syphilis is gone too.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Baronjutter posted:

Well I was about to rage-shelve this game until mods or a trainer or something came out to make it easier or more "fair" but I guess I'll keep slugging away at that starting dungeon, eventually with enough throw-away level 0's I may finally pass it.

I noticed that after enough attempts I get locked out of the "ruins" dungeon and have 2 much harder dungeons available. If I throw people at them, after they all die the "ruins" dungeon is available again. How come you randomly get locked out? Just to prevent constant re-tries?

If you really want hax the whole game's data is easily edited JSON files, and it would be pretty trivial to open up with cheatengine too. (Or any RAM scanning / modification software)

The other dungeons aren't any harder, they're just different. You'll get different quests in different dungeons over time. Harder quests are higher level, not in different dungeons. There's no progression between the dungeons except for The Darkest Dungeon which isn't available yet. You're making way too many assumptions dude.

You're not "locked out" there's just not currently a quest for that dungeon! :v:

You don't get locked out and its not to prevent retries. Its just quests are random, because that's how the game fundamentally works. Its got that kind of roguelike thing going on.

Truly harder things will tell you they are higher level.

Internet Kraken posted:

I guess its my fault for trying to play this game without spoilers so I made a bunch of big mistakes due to a lack of mechanic understanding. I don't like to spoil myself on games, but on reflection playing an early access game riddled with balance issues blind is pretty stupid.

I went in blind because I like to figure things out myself, and had no problem figuring out all the mechanics myself? :shrug: I lost several parties early on to stupid tactical decisions, but I learned and I got better. I've now downed several bosses.

I hate to say git gud but like... pick one. Either you're gonna figure it out yourself, in which case it'll be a little punishing as you learn things the hard way but rewarding when you do, but you have to pay attention, or if that's too hard then go ahead and look up how the basic rules work.

If you want the game to be easy and simple to figure out... this just isn't the game for you.

S.J. posted:

That'd be amazing. "You thought I was done for, eh? You thought you'd seen the last of me, eh?!"

"Ohhhh gently caress. Dude I'm so sorry... uh...."

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Feb 5, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mental Midget posted:

Stagecoach
Guild Hall
Blacksmith

I would recommend the following build order:

Stagecoach until you can have like 13-15 total people and 4+ people available each time you visit. Then stagecoach becomes lowest priority.
Bar until its max upgraded. Then upgrade the other stress relievers slowly over time as you can.
Blacksmith, armor first then weapons then cost. Always keep blacksmith up to date so it can gear your highest level heroes as far as they can go.
Guild Hall, upgrades first then cost later.
Sanitarium 2 slots when you can.
Everything else after that as you can afford it.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Feb 5, 2015

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
You'd think retreating from a mission would give you a bunch of bad quirks.

I guess weald phobe makes sense? :v:

Zaphod42 posted:

I went in blind because I like to figure things out myself, and had no problem figuring out all the mechanics myself? :shrug: I lost several parties early on to stupid tactical decisions, but I learned and I got better. I've now downed several bosses.

I hate to say git gud but like... pick one. Either you're gonna figure it out yourself, in which case it'll be a little punishing as you learn things the hard way but rewarding when you do, but you have to pay attention, or if that's too hard then go ahead and look up how the basic rules work.

If you want the game to be easy and simple to figure out... this just isn't the game for you.

I've figured out most of the mechanics myself, I just had to learn them through trial and error. There are still things I don't get though simply because the game doesn't tell you. Are movement effects debuffs or a different stat entirely? Why don't monsters list it if its separate? Just how the hell does speed work for determining turn order, beyond "more equals better"? Stuff like that, which is important on a tactical level.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Does "mark" qualify as a debuff or is it some other thing that always applies to enemies/heroes regardless of resists?

Yeah learning is definitely a big part of it. A good game should be playable with you learning as you go along, and I think this game is mostly good about that. There are some things you can't learn until you make a mistake though. Such as the fact that enemies gently caress with positioning all the time, provisions are only good for one dungeon, a longer dungeon isn't neccesairly harder etc. There's also a lot of hidden stats that are hard to understand. I still don't get how speed works since it feels random at times.

Still, my first run I had I think 6 people dead by week 15 or so? This time I don't have ANYONE dead. Haven't had to retreat from a dungeon either.

EDIT: Though maybe I should wait until after I've killed the Hag to say that because that was the first part of my old run where I got absolutely destroyed.

Internet Kraken posted:

I've figured out most of the mechanics myself, I just had to learn them through trial and error. There are still things I don't get though simply because the game doesn't tell you. Are movement effects debuffs or a different stat entirely? Why don't monsters list it if its separate? Just how the hell does speed work for determining turn order, beyond "more equals better"? Stuff like that, which is important on a tactical level.

There's definitely still some rules that I'm not sure about, but that's not really a bad thing. Point is I'm not losing people like, at all anyomre, which means I'm kicking rear end.

Losing one or two dungeons to learn something isn't so bad, since dungeons can be pretty quick. If it takes you making the same mistake several times to learn it, thats on you.

I'm pretty sure speed works like initiative in D&D. Each round, every character rolls a random value and adds their speed to it. Then the highest total goes first, and in descending order from there.

The only question is how big is the range on the initial roll, and that only really matters for how much weight the SPD stat has. That's unknown, but its not really a big deal. More SPD means greater chance to go sooner, that's all you need to know. Would knowing that the roll is 1-20 or 1-100 really make a huge tactical difference? It'd help you decide how much you could sacrifice for SPD for a trinket, I guess, but that's it.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

I'm not sure, it's really weird. I have a Grave Robber that had Bad Gambler and Syphilis, she had just contracted Syphilis as a negative quirk after finishing the previous dungeon. I sent them in to the Sanitarium last week and only Bad Gambler was on the list, which I selected. I just got to the next week and the message says that Bad Gambler was removed and doesn't mention Syphilis, but her Syphilis is gone too.

Diseases seem to have a chance to be cured over time. My bounty hunter from earlier no longer has lockjaw, but I never sent him in for more treatment. The dungeons he went on didn't have any scrolls to burn either. On the other hand, a Leper who I very rarely use as a D-string frontliner still has the yips. I suspect that it's only checked when your hero is part of an expedition.

EDIT: Oh, a quick wiki search shows that the yips aren't actually a disease in the infection sense. Might comb over my roster a little more next time I play the game to see if I've got any diseases uncured.

Teslavi
May 28, 2006
Ridiculous.
Protection is a real good stat. Just went up against the veteran Swine King, had a crusader in the front row with 88 hp and 41% protection, obliterate body did 1 damage and crit for 3 damage. I don't know what formula it's using but that % sign is real misleading.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Teslavi posted:

Protection is a real good stat. Just went up against the veteran Swine King, had a crusader in the front row with 88 hp and 41% protection, obliterate body did 1 damage and crit for 3 damage. I don't know what formula it's using but that % sign is real misleading.

Yeah, even the 20% protection self buffs seem to cause that you usually only take 1 damage. Maybe it subtracts damage, not multiples?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Just fought the Swine Prince for the first time ever and ended the fight in 3 turns with my "no torches ever" party of 3 rank 1 Gravediggers and a rank 2 Vestal :pwn:

The speed was all RNG, I got the perfect turn order for all 3 GDs to cast Lunge on the first two turns, and I got 7 crits over 3 turns.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Feb 6, 2015

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012
Wow. There's still so much dialogue from when each hero was meant to be a unique person, and not merely a very strongly painted archetype. Some of them have pasts that are very unusual compared to what I expected. Many of them have fallen very far indeed that they muck about in your dungeons.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
One of the things that bugs me is the way that character progression seems like a very flat curve. Skill and weapon/armor changes seem to be relatively tiny, and the overall effect of quirks on most of my higher level characters seem to be negative. The big upside to higher reputation is lower stress damage, but that feels arbitrary and gamey. I was hoping for more skills, or new functionality to existing ones. Maybe even a rudimentary stat/skill point to have some control over how characters evolve.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

So it seems that numbers in this game round up. If you find a way of getting +10% heal received through a quirk or a relic, your character gains 2 health from eating food. That's a massive out of combat healing buff, for anyone looking for some out of combat healing. From 75g per health to 38.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

The Insect Court posted:

One of the things that bugs me is the way that character progression seems like a very flat curve. Skill and weapon/armor changes seem to be relatively tiny, and the overall effect of quirks on most of my higher level characters seem to be negative. The big upside to higher reputation is lower stress damage, but that feels arbitrary and gamey. I was hoping for more skills, or new functionality to existing ones. Maybe even a rudimentary stat/skill point to have some control over how characters evolve.

Armor upgrades (HP + Dodge) are pretty good. Weapon upgrades (min-max dmg + crit + speed) are kind of underwhelming. Skills are great to upgrade for +Acc mostly, sadly the increases to buffs aren't.

And then you have weird outliers like Hellion's Yawp skill which jumps suddenly from 100% stun base to 200% stun base at r3 :psyduck: A gradual change was too hard to code, or...?

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

So it seems that numbers in this game round up. If you find a way of getting +10% heal received through a quirk or a relic, your character gains 2 health from eating food. That's a massive out of combat healing buff, for anyone looking for some out of combat healing. From 75g per health to 38.

Your character gains 2 health per food because food healing is a % of your max HP. So it seems the +10% heal pushed it high enough to show 2 health?

Also your health is shown with 1 decimal place (i.e. 20.4/32.0 or something), which is why you sometimes see enemies surviving at 0HP (i.e. <0.5HP)

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Dackel posted:

Your character gains 2 health per food because food healing is a % of your max HP. So it seems the +10% heal pushed it high enough to show 2 health?

Also your health is shown with 1 decimal place (i.e. 20.4/32.0 or something), which is why you sometimes see enemies surviving at 0HP (i.e. <0.5HP)

Are you sure about this? He was gaining 2 full HP per food and healed to full after just a few food.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

The crossbow skeleton guys can eat my rear end, I swear like 9/10 of their shots are loving crits.

Anyway, I've taken to a fun scheme in naming my Crusaders. Each one is Oscar <Number>. Obviously the default first one you get is Oscar The 1st, my next recruited one is Oscar The 2nd and then I even picked up Oscar The 3rd.

Have no fear friends, we're from The Order of Oscar. :v:

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
When your dude sometimes says, "Game over, man! Game over!" I'd really like to see a sci-fi take on this.

Teslavi
May 28, 2006
Ridiculous.

Are you sure about this? He was gaining 2 full HP per food and healed to full after just a few food.

Food healing is definitely a % of your maximum health, but the amount healed is rounded to a whole value. Pretty sure anyone with around 30hp will get 2 hp per food. With enough hp you can start getting 3 hp per food as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Firstborn posted:

When your dude sometimes says, "Game over, man! Game over!" I'd really like to see a sci-fi take on this.

It wouldn't be that hard for them to do either, just replacing art assets. Still it'd be a lot of art work and may feel too much the same. Plenty of people in this thread weren't fully satisfied with things as they are.

I just want a bunch of class DLC. I'll buy all the classes they put out.

Yardbomb posted:

The crossbow skeleton guys can eat my rear end, I swear like 9/10 of their shots are loving crits.

Anyway, I've taken to a fun scheme in naming my Crusaders. Each one is Oscar <Number>. Obviously the default first one you get is Oscar The 1st, my next recruited one is Oscar The 2nd and then I even picked up Oscar The 3rd.

Have no fear friends, we're from The Order of Oscar. :v:

That's cute. Snowball II.

I started naming mine all after Dark Souls characters but I went through those pretty fast :stare: