Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Multiplesarcasm posted:

I'd love an "All Throwback" season, where every team is rocking one throwback for home games and a different one for away. I'd love to see a full season of Big Ben and the Bees.

The original AFL teams did something like this for the 50th anniversary back in 2009. It ruled, other than themonstrosities that Denver wore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I think the Rams did a 1999 throwback game this year. Old helmets, old color jerseys and pants, and even the old midfield logo.

E: Yep

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

that'd be super underwhelming for the Panthers

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
The Browns should do a throwback to when they didn't exist

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Alouicious posted:

that'd be super underwhelming for the Panthers
Colts only changes would be white facemask and wraparound shoulder bars. I guess they could make it exciting by playing at M&T Bank but I'm pretty sure everyone would die.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Unfortunately because of the new helmet rules, teams can't use throwback helmets unless they're the same color as the primary. So no more Pat Patriot, red Buffalo, Bucco Bruce, 80's Broncos, etc.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Kevyn posted:

Unfortunately because of the new helmet rules, teams can't use throwback helmets unless they're the same color as the primary. So no more Pat Patriot, red Buffalo, Bucco Bruce, 80's Broncos, etc.

They can do what the Rams did this year and put different vinyl on the helmets?

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Yeah, you can scrape the current logo off and paste the retro logo on, but you can't use a whole new helmet.

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

Kevyn posted:

What's the point of these rules? Can these poor NFL teams not afford having two different helmets?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

JRizzle posted:

What's the point of these rules? Can these poor NFL teams not afford having two different helmets?

The nfl believes it is safer for a player to use one style of helmet for the entire season. apparently some players use helmets that are no longer made or in limited supply, so for throwbacks they have to use a different style of helmet. Because of how "unsafe" this is, the league instead outlawed using multiple helmet types. Why they didn't mandate that players instead use the latest and safest technology, I have no loving clue.

Fyi, this is a phone post from memory, accuracy not guaranteed.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Chichevache posted:

The nfl believes it is safer for a player to use one style of helmet for the entire season. apparently some players use helmets that are no longer made or in limited supply, so for throwbacks they have to use a different style of helmet. Because of how "unsafe" this is, the league instead outlawed using multiple helmet types. Why they didn't mandate that players instead use the latest and safest technology, I have no loving clue.

Fyi, this is a phone post from memory, accuracy not guaranteed.

Basically the NFL does not give a poo poo about the science behind concussions because it damns their sport. So they ignore it and let it be "personal choice" that guys don't wear the latest and the greatest. I'd say its conspiratorial, but if you're stupid enough to wear a 30 year old helmet that does basically nothing maybe that is on you. That debate can definitely split both ways, but it's a tenuous excuse at the bare minimum to say it's unsafe to wear different helmets throughout the season.

The real key is proper fitting, provided they have a good equipment manager this shouldn't be an issue. If college equipment managers can do it, the NFL could too.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Multiplesarcasm posted:

I'd love an "All Throwback" season, where every team is rocking one throwback for home games and a different one for away. I'd love to see a full season of Big Ben and the Bees.

Only if the next year they do an "All future" season like the mlb did.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Pops Mgee posted:

I wasn't aware of that, but I'm so down. :getin:

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

the all-future stuff owned

Mercury Mets forever

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

JRizzle posted:

The point of the rule is that the NFL doesn't like anything that could be construed as fun or good

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Neodoomium posted:

The point of the rule is that the NFL doesn't like anything that could be construed as fun or good

:agreed:

Herr Goodell is perfecting the most Teutonically efficient entertainment empire possible.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Chichevache posted:

Why they didn't mandate that players instead use the latest and safest technology, I have no loving clue.
I assume it's similar to how the NHL required helmets for new players entering the league back in the 80s, but grandfathered in players who were already playing without helmets because those guys were comfortable with it and you can't change the rules on them!! It's a silly idea but I would bet that's what it is

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

football fuckerman posted:

I assume it's similar to how the NHL required helmets for new players entering the league back in the 80s, but grandfathered in players who were already playing without helmets because those guys were comfortable with it and you can't change the rules on them!! It's a silly idea but I would bet that's what it is

Yeah, I assume it is something like that and I hate it. Just one more bit of evidence that the NFL wants to look safer without actually putting any effort into it. They're the big dogs, they could be a driving force for safer equipment!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Chichevache posted:

Yeah, I assume it is something like that and I hate it. Just one more bit of evidence that the NFL wants to look safer without actually putting any effort into it. They're the big dogs, they could be a driving force for safer equipment!

lol if you think the NFL has literally ever given a poo poo about this sort of thing

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

DJExile posted:

lol if you think the NFL has literally ever given a poo poo about this sort of thing

I don't :sigh:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

SA2K posted:

The original AFL teams did something like this for the 50th anniversary back in 2009. It ruled, other than themonstrosities that Denver wore
:hfive:

That was a good lookin game. until they started playing

Pops Mgee posted:

Just do it like the Mariners did rather than how the MLB followed up:
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=lukas/080718

...not that Goodell would allow them to have fun with the idea.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Yeah, I'm good as things are.

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

Eifert Posting posted:

You could have gotten the Tigger helmets.

http://www.helmethut.com/Features/Prototypes/Begnalproto.html

They also had a prototype that was like the Tigger helmet only the black and orange were reversed.

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Basically the NFL does not give a poo poo about the science behind concussions because it damns their sport. So they ignore it and let it be "personal choice" that guys don't wear the latest and the greatest. I'd say its conspiratorial, but if you're stupid enough to wear a 30 year old helmet that does basically nothing maybe that is on you. That debate can definitely split both ways, but it's a tenuous excuse at the bare minimum to say it's unsafe to wear different helmets throughout the season.

The real key is proper fitting, provided they have a good equipment manager this shouldn't be an issue. If college equipment managers can do it, the NFL could too.

lmao helmets don't do poo poo except stop broken skulls and even that's debatable since the dipshits load them up with titanium plates and other garbage

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Eifert Posting posted:

I just love how much Paul Brown wanted to stick it to Art Modell that he made uniforms that were almost exactly the same just with BENGALS on the helmet

Apok
Jul 22, 2005
I have a title now!

Multiplesarcasm posted:

Only if the Texans could wear sweet Oilers jerseys and the Titans would just gently caress off for a year. Or forever. Forever is ok

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

They should make thehelmets out of kevlar and cell phone cases

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Apok posted:

Only if the Texans could wear sweet Oilers jerseys and the Titans would just gently caress off for a year. Or forever. Forever is ok

Speaking of which, if a team moves cities AND changes the nickname, then that nickname should remain with the original city.

So the Titans should have no right to the Oilers name, logos, etc. There's a bunch of cool nicknames that have a ton of history and are just floating around out in the ether, controlled by some lovely team that doesn't even care.

Nationals own the "Expos"
Rangers I think own "Senators"
Avalanche own "Nordiques"
Hurricanes own "Whalers"

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Mahoning posted:

Hurricanes own "Whalers"

you just broke my loving heart god drat

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Mahoning posted:

Speaking of which, if a team moves cities AND changes the nickname, then that nickname should remain with the original city.

So the Titans should have no right to the Oilers name, logos, etc. There's a bunch of cool nicknames that have a ton of history and are just floating around out in the ether, controlled by some lovely team that doesn't even care.

Nationals own the "Expos"
Rangers I think own "Senators"
Avalanche own "Nordiques"
Hurricanes own "Whalers"
:agreed: I like how they basically did this when the Hornets came back this year.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Hazo posted:

:agreed: I like how they basically did this when the Hornets came back this year.

Yeah I forgot to mention that I was glad to see the Pelicans relinquish the Hornets name back to Charlotte.

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010
The Lakers moved to Los Angeles, where there are no lakes, and the Jazz moved to Utah, where they don't allow music

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

KettleWL posted:

The Lakers moved to Los Angeles, where there are no lakes, and the Jazz moved to Utah, where they don't allow music

I'm still waiting for Intersports play.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Hockles posted:

I'm still waiting for Intersports play.

Goodell doesn't even allow touchdown dances so don't hold your breath.

If only :sigh:

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
that is amazing^

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Pops Mgee posted:

Goodell doesn't even allow touchdown dances so don't hold your breath.

If only :sigh:

This was sold as a terrible crime against sport in a comedy.

Shameful.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Baseketball is literally my favorite movie.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

More weird lovely fake helmets! ESPN Edition!

http://imgur.com/a/Jx2U6

edit: Removed ESPN link and added imgur link to his work. Holy poo poo the Jaguars and Packers ones. Oh my god. Some of these are so hilariously terrible that I can't even decide which is the worst. I'm leaning towards the Jets one but good god.

Akileese fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Feb 25, 2015

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Akileese posted:

More weird lovely fake helmets! ESPN Edition!

http://imgur.com/a/Jx2U6

edit: Removed ESPN link and added imgur link to his work. Holy poo poo the Jaguars and Packers ones. Oh my god. Some of these are so hilariously terrible that I can't even decide which is the worst. I'm leaning towards the Jets one but good god.

I guess re-designing the NFL helmets is the newest trend now that re-doing logos isn't hip anymore

Although it looks bad here, I think this guy might be onto something with the Texans helmet of a blue horn on one side and a red one on the other, that's kind of neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

I really hate the Bills one he did.

Also the Chargers.

• Locked thread