Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

James Garfield posted:

Have you ever wondered what boats forum posters think about women females?

Context: forum poster is accused of being a feminist for suggesting that a boat movie might include a sailor's worried mother at home

In the same thread, they praise a Japanese film about the Yamato that includes women.

To be fair you hear this sort of idiocy from most "gamers" on the internet, not just on the WG forums.

Besides, whenever I see avatars/sigs of anime or military insignia I automatically assume that the post will likely be garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children

Mr.48 posted:

Besides, whenever I see avatars/sigs of anime or military insignia I automatically assume that the post will likely be garbage.

I didn't realize i subconsciously went by this rule until now.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

rockopete posted:

Oh right, Japan, that beacon of equality between the sexes and flexible gender roles. Using Japanese standards to judge anything having to do with women or the portrayal of women is a laughably bad idea and is one of the more well-worn justifications employed by the sketchy avatar crowd, hth.

I just don't know who is being serious anymore

e: the idea that Pokemon with Girls is seriously promoting sexism or violence against women is as dumb as the idea that WoT is pro-fascism. It's a total non-sequitur. If you'd like to continue this "debate", there's a thread in ADTRW that I humbly invite you to join me in, assuming you won't pass out or throw up or something.

Vengarr fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Feb 5, 2015

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Vengarr posted:

I just don't know who is being serious anymore

Nor do I. Are you seriously unaware of the gender norms in mainstream Japanese society?

e: ah I see what you mean. I don't think it's promoting violence against women. It's definitely sexist and skeezy as gently caress, though. And I forgot, Pokemon lose their clothes as they get beaten up, how silly of me.

rockopete fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Feb 5, 2015

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

rockopete posted:

Nor do I. Are you seriously unaware of the gender norms in mainstream Japanese society?
yes, thank god

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

maev posted:

I didn't realize i subconsciously went by this rule until now.

Its a useful heuristic.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Non-anime related question:

I have a SU-152, and am grinding toward the ISU-152. I also have a SU-122-44. Since premium vehicles rack up xp faster, will it be faster to grind to the ISU by using the 122-44 and just paying the gold to convert the xp than it will to use the SU-152 directly?

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

saintonan posted:

I have a SU-152, and am grinding toward the ISU-152. I also have a SU-122-44. Since premium vehicles rack up xp faster, will it be faster to grind to the ISU by using the 122-44 and just paying the gold to convert the xp than it will to use the SU-152 directly?

Only crew XP not battle xp

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

saintonan posted:

No, just play your SU-152 shooting a lot of HEAT (and HE at soft tanks, sides, rears, Tigers, and the turrets of hull down American tanks). Its awesome. At the same time use the 122-44 to train your crew. When you unlock the ISU, THEN use your gold to convert XP to get the tracks and the top gun, and keep using the 122-44 to improve the crew.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

rockopete posted:

Like, I think what he means is "I don't want love stories in my war movies" which I get, but why can't he just say that? It reads like to him, women are foreign entities concerned mainly with the Wiles of Love.
We need a movie where Das Boat meets Brokeback Mountain. Love can flourish beneath the sea.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Rincewinds posted:

We need a movie where Das Boat meets Brokeback Mountain. Love can flourish beneath the sea.

What's long, hard and full of seamen?

a T-35 that took a wrong turn into the Volga :downsrim:

slowm
Sep 5, 2013

live slow, die whenevs
Anyone that would not mind verifying me on the TS would be a super cool particular individual. I'm idling in the lobby channel, slowm (MOTU). Feel free to kick me from server after verify, I'm heading out for work and won't return until later tonight. Just completed missions on all classes up to the platoon missions, so I need some buff dudes with which to horse around. NTR is pretty dead and most of them are mega-nerds. I need a platoon of men that know how to treat a bro right. HOLLA.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

slowm posted:

NTR is pretty dead and most of them are mega-nerds.

Checking one more off on the list.

The Southern Dandy
Jun 15, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT MY RADLEY-WALTERS' MEDAL

Is that medal for being the most intolerable poster in a thread about Warhammer 40.000 novels? Because if it is, you sure blew the competition out of the water, son.

Rincewinds posted:

Found it: http://www.redtube.com/39718

subhelios
May 26, 2013

Unfortunately, there is no such game as 'World of Submarines.'

slowm posted:

Anyone that would not mind verifying me on the TS would be a super cool particular individual. I'm idling in the lobby channel, slowm (MOTU). Feel free to kick me from server after verify, I'm heading out for work and won't return until later tonight. Just completed missions on all classes up to the platoon missions, so I need some buff dudes with which to horse around. NTR is pretty dead and most of them are mega-nerds. I need a platoon of men that know how to treat a bro right. HOLLA.

This has been attended to.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

So is PANSY doing a tourney next week or what's happening with that? Someone asked for interest and I said I'd be up for it but I haven't seen anything since.

And I'm asking in this thread because I'm pretty sure this is the thread in which that was posted, as opposed to the PGS PANSY thread.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

rockopete posted:

Oh right, Japan, that beacon of equality between the sexes and flexible gender roles. Using Japanese standards to judge anything having to do with women or the portrayal of women is a laughably bad idea and is one of the more well-worn justifications employed by the sketchy avatar crowd, hth.

:yikes: Uhhhh.. so who wants to go back to talking about arty?

rockopete posted:

What about the massive accuracy, bloom, and travel time nerf? I can't remember the exact patch but I want to say 0.8.0 or late 0.7.x? It's a valid view to hold that arty was and is broken, but it has definitely changed a good deal since being the absolute game-breaking terror it used to be.
But none of these changes have actually impacted arty in any meaningful way. In a tank, it's still terrible getting gibbed by arty out of nowhere, and as an SPG it still sucks when your shot whiffs and you're stuck waiting another 80 seconds for the privilege of clicking once on an enemy tank. No one is having any fun there, and the only thing those arty nerfs accomplished was slightly shifting the balance of who feels frustrated when, and how often. With the increased transparency and better understanding of game mechanics and hidden stats, as well as the development of Battle Assistant, Sword of Damocles, red ball/pole, and other arty mods, I'd bet that any competent arty player is in just as good of a position as as they've ever been. And with the inclusion of a wider variety of SPGs (ones that can reposition quickly, ones with a quick rate of fire, ones with near-vertical impact trajectories, ones with autoloaders, etc.) the entire class' mechanics have been stretched to the breaking point, with no real solution in sight. Again, I just want to know if there's any official word on the matter, if there's any end to the problem in sight, or if there's any potential solution to this that I might just be missing.

rockopete posted:

So is PANSY doing a tourney next week or what's happening with that? Someone asked for interest and I said I'd be up for it but I haven't seen anything since.
Including you, we have three players, which means we'd need another three to have a full team. Deadline for signups is the 8th.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

demonR6 posted:

My main beef right now is smoke screen..it seems like the ships who lays it down has an advantage where they can still see me but I am completely blind to see them. They should not have that kind of advantage.. last night I ran into a double DD smoke screen and had no idea where the gently caress they were but they were belching torps and hitting my ship like they were parked in front of me.

Belching torps while invisible is the whole point of the smokescreen, and DDs in general.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

subhelios posted:

Oh. I guess this is a thing I should do as well. I guess I lost all my previous permissions when I quit the last time.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

McGavin posted:

Belching torps while invisible is the whole point of the smokescreen, and DDs in general.

but smoke is smoke, because you laid down a screen does not mean you should get X-Ray vision to see through it. I need to jump on an play a DD to verify this. :/

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Shutting up about anime, sorry for the derail.

Illegal Carrot posted:

But none of these changes have actually impacted arty in any meaningful way. In a tank, it's still terrible getting gibbed by arty out of nowhere, and as an SPG it still sucks when your shot whiffs and you're stuck waiting another 80 seconds for the privilege of clicking once on an enemy tank. No one is having any fun there, and the only thing those arty nerfs accomplished was slightly shifting the balance of who feels frustrated when, and how often. With the increased transparency and better understanding of game mechanics and hidden stats, as well as the development of Battle Assistant, Sword of Damocles, red ball/pole, and other arty mods, I'd bet that any competent arty player is in just as good of a position as as they've ever been. And with the inclusion of a wider variety of SPGs (ones that can reposition quickly, ones with a quick rate of fire, ones with near-vertical impact trajectories, ones with autoloaders, etc.) the entire class' mechanics have been stretched to the breaking point, with no real solution in sight. Again, I just want to know if there's any official word on the matter, if there's any end to the problem in sight, or if there's any potential solution to this that I might just be missing.

I haven't seen or heard any official word recently. You make good points, I have a hard time seeing how it can be balanced/made fun for all without fundamental changes. Maybe cap it at two per game, or drop the top two tiers and make tier 8 battle tier 10? Like it used to be except retaining the nerf and current alpha. Or maybe add setup and teardown times? That would have the added bonus of actually using the metal anchor/stakes present on so many of the models.

quote:

Including you, we have three players, which means we'd need another three to have a full team. Deadline for signups is the 8th.

Okay. Do you have a link to to the roster? I'll have to miss Wednesday and maybe Friday so at least one reservist will definitely get to play. Join up for free gold, people, you don't need skill, just a tier 5 and the ability to listen!

rockopete fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Feb 6, 2015

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

demonR6 posted:

but smoke is smoke, because you laid down a screen does not mean you should get X-Ray vision to see through it. I need to jump on an play a DD to verify this. :/

It's probably like that so you can't get trolled by a bad/annoying DD player on your own team. Like in Counterstrike.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

gently caress, I can't find Hellsau's loving premium tank ratings thing again. What's the consensus on the Matilda IV (aka Матильда)?

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

rockopete posted:

Shutting up about anime, sorry for the derail.

I haven't seen or heard any official word recently. You make good points, I have a hard time seeing how it can be balanced/made fun for all without fundamental changes. Maybe cap it at two per game, or drop the top two tiers and make tier 8 battle tier 10? Like it used to be except retaining the nerf and current alpha. Or maybe add setup and teardown times? That would have the added bonus of actually using the metal anchor/stakes present on so many of the models.

Okay. Do you have a link to to the roster? I'll have to miss Wednesday and maybe Friday so at least one reservist will definitely get to play. Join up for free gold, people, you don't need skill, just a tier 5 and the ability to listen!

I can play on Wednesday and Friday to make up for this anime hater.

Missing Name posted:

gently caress, I can't find Hellsau's loving premium tank ratings thing again. What's the consensus on the Matilda IV (aka Матильда)?

Same matchmaking as the Matilda except you'll never be top tier and clown tier 2s. Kinda lame. Most tier 5s don't care about your armour.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Slow, armored, gun is like an inverse of the Churchill's, ~110 damage but ~90 pen. Horrible gold pen, like under 110, which is the dealbreaker.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

http://worldoftanks.com/en/news/pc-browser/22/shermans-birthday/

Well WG is doing a weekend special dedicated to Sherman. This should get some neo-confederate shithead tears rolling.

srb
Jul 24, 2007
Sherman's birthday and no howitzer gold ammo sale? Bah.

brodoyouevengif
Jun 15, 2013

The pubbie blood must flow for le mighty Brodo.
Well FTR is bringing in more terrible news...

- there will not be a HD E-100 in 9.6. In test 3, it was removed and switched back to SD version, as the developers will not be able to fix all the mistakes of the model until the release

There goes any amount of excitement I had for patch 9.6. :psyduck:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

How does the smoke work when you deploy it anyway? Does it create a line based on your location and direction when you pop it or does it keep fogging up with your ship in the center?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Missing Name posted:

Imagine a Churchill III but worse and you have to shoot APCR all the time. Yeah, you have mad gun depression, but that's worth little when your gun is so useless. I bought one as a novelty when it was 75% off. I don't think any other premium tank was ever that steeply discounted except the Valentine, which I also bought. At least it's amusing to pair with B2s.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
TK'ed a 45% archer (who had 30 HP) so I could shot an enemy m44 once and them get the ram kill mission in a Chi-To. He messaged me too:

bigsig (8:08:18 PM) u r a cock licking rear end in a top hat
crazedkid103 (8:08:46 PM) needed the ram kill mission so.....meh
bigsig (8:09:09 PM) u suck rear end fucker
crazedkid103 (8:09:26 PM) sorry but at 45% over 16k games you really rean't a good judge

love it.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Mesadoram posted:

Either way, I am so going to buy the poo poo out of that tank. The T9 and T10 look like really brutal tanks that have 0 armor. Just need to grind the XP in the 13 90 which as of late has been difficult due to pubbie retardation. 130k XP sound about right?

:shepspends:

A friend of mine suggested that it'll be similar to the XP cost of the RU 251 to the Leo PTA, which is ~180k I think.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Pastebin with harsh premium tank judgment.

Matilda 4 is worse in every single metric compared to the Churchill 3, except for rotating the hull. Less HP, worse armor, worthless pen, and it's slower! Slower than a loving Churchill! 102 gold pen basically means that you cannot defeat even the worst KV-1 drivers unless they have the 76mm or are using HE from the 57mm or don't have an extinguisher and let you shoot them in the rear side or something else ludicrous.

Doesn't stop it from just murdering the gently caress out of the enemy tanks if they don't fire at you and also show their side to you.

60 damage frontally from a loving derp M2MT on the slowest tier 5 tank, get hosed. What a worthless tank. I wish there was another pref 5 medium tank.

srb
Jul 24, 2007
We were losing, so I killed a 13 hp Chi-Ri so that an E75 could save his shell for a more threatening target next to him. Unfortunately, he then turned around, ignored the enemy, and put the shell into me. I stole his ram kill!

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

Poil posted:

How does the smoke work when you deploy it anyway? Does it create a line based on your location and direction when you pop it or does it keep fogging up with your ship in the center?

It trails around you as you go. At least last night, it seems to mess with your vision too, since this ship I was trying to torp kept disappearing and reappearing.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:

Vengarr posted:

It's probably like that so you can't get trolled by a bad/annoying DD player on your own team. Like in Counterstrike.

You can, it's happened to me like two or three times now. The enemy BB could see out because his scout was up, mine wasn't, I got dunked because of our shitlord DD.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
Considering selling my over-used E75 for the IS-8, mostly to make use of my 4 skill is-6 crew and I've moved all my old E-75 crew to the E-100. Can the IS-8 perform well or dominate in the tier 9 game?

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

maev posted:

Considering selling my over-used E75 for the IS-8, mostly to make use of my 4 skill is-6 crew and I've moved all my old E-75 crew to the E-100. Can the IS-8 perform well or dominate in the tier 9 game?

Not on the same level as an E75. It can preform well, however consistency out of it relies more on pubbies being bad than the tank being good.

slowm
Sep 5, 2013

live slow, die whenevs

Hellsau posted:

Checking one more off on the list.
Yeah, I joined a few weeks ago. I was shooting for PBKAC, but they were just about to merge BADGR over and I've only got 4 end tier. NTR did really well in Campaign 3 so I was surprised by the lack of activity. They stayed on the map for a couple of weeks and then VILIN came for their sole territory. They held for a few days and lost it. Since then there has not been an attempt to re-land and it doesn't seem like there's much interest to do so. I expect they'll be dead until another event and the D&D/Pokemon crowd will resurface for a tank.

subhelios posted:

Danke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

maev posted:

Not to the extent the E-75 can. It doesn't have the armor.