Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Now that is a classy charging station

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I wish there was something good like this too, just for my office. We've about six Android phones, an iPhone, and an iPad that we use for testing. I wish we could just have an easy place for them all to sit and charge when we're not using them, without having eight USB chargers octopused off a power strip with the cords all tangled.

sd6
Jan 14, 2008

This has all been posted before, and it will all be posted again
So suddenly the screen on my Nexus 5 is all hosed up. I used it earlier to answer a text and it was perfectly fine, but now there's a blueish sort of fuzz or halo around the edges of my screen, and another yellowish halo inside of that one. I've tried resetting, and the closest thing I could find on a google search was someone saying to turn off magnification gestures in Settings -> Accessibility, but it's already off. Anyone else deal with this and know of a fix, or is this thing just boned?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

kitten smoothie posted:

I wish there was something good like this too, just for my office. We've about six Android phones, an iPhone, and an iPad that we use for testing. I wish we could just have an easy place for them all to sit and charge when we're not using them, without having eight USB chargers octopused off a power strip with the cords all tangled.

If you search for "USB charging hub" on Amazon there's lots of them. Or, at least, a better option than dealing with a power strip, I think.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

CLAM DOWN posted:

Goddammit the Lollipop poo poo where I can't silence/change my notification volume while in the Hangouts app is really starting to piss me off (it just adjusts in-call volume if I touch the up/down buttons while in the app).

As a workaround you could expand the notification shade. Or if you don't need the last seen/Stickers functionality you could always downgrade to the previous version with the non-Material icon which shipped with Lollipop.

Whizbang posted:

More proof that Lollipop is broken as poo poo: We're already getting 5.1.

The timings actually par on course history wise. In terms of "end-of-year release brokenness scale" 5.0 is slightly worse than 4.2, but still better than 4.0. 5.0 at least lasted a while before it's rollout was halted, ICS 4.0.3 for the Nexus S lasted 3 days before it was pulled. Note that this was the second version of ICS (API Level 15), not the 2 month old original version of ICS (API Level 14) which it skipped.

whatever7 posted:

Can you get AOSP browser work on your device?

I just couldn't get AOSP browser work the way I wanted on Android 4.4. I recently flash my LG OG Pro back to a 4.1 rom and couldn't be happier.

I think Titanium Backup has problem w 4.4 too.

AOSP browser is dependent on private/hidden Webkit APIs which get changed version to version, so the XDA method of "copy this into system partition soonbackanswer!!!11" won't work unless you're on the same version the APK was ripped wholesale from. The way to do it is to compile the APK from AOSP, which some dude actually has done for KitKat: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.droid.browser2

LastInLine posted:

Edit: In fact, thinking on it further I'm pretty sure I remember Google saying that the AOSP Browser was deprecated entirely and if OEMs wanted a browser that wasn't Chrome they'd have to write it themselves but I'm too tired to find a source for that. I'm pretty sure that was with 4.4 but it might've even been 4.3.

AOSP Browser is still actively maintained, they use it for testing/dev etc. It's just a wrapper over whatever Webview the system uses (which is why its that much smaller than Chrome/Firefox etc, since it doesn't have to ship its own rendering engine). I guess you can call it abandoned in the sense that it won't get end-user features, but to be fair there's little point spending the resources when: a) no OEM will ship it b) they can barely get the Google versions of the apps finished in time.

bull3964 posted:

So, they're adding the ability to switch wifi networks under the quick settings menu so that you can change those settings in app (something I've had to do exactly never) and still forgoing moving the priority notification toggle to the quick settings location where it would be more logical.

I can understand adding a redundant Interruption toggle in Quick Settings, but what's logical about removing it from the dialog?

Tunga posted:

I'm looking to replace my mess of cables with something simpler. Ideally I want a solution that uses a single power socket which can connect at least four devices via some kind of retractable USB cables that store away neatly but can be pulled out at least 1m (preferably 2m) to connect to devices (and which lock somehow so that they don't drag the devices towards the charger!). So either one pre-made device that does all of this or some combination of the right charger and cables to make this work. And it has to be available in the UK, preferably on Amazon Prime.

Any ideas?

(And before we get the obvious reply: yes, already I use wireless charging when I'm at my desk, but I also want a simply neat solution for charging my tablets, guest phones, etc.)

Tunga posted:

For some reason all the retractable USB cables I can find have horribly garish logos on them that look like trade show giveaways. Also considered braided cables but they are all ridiculous bright colours!

Wireless charging (sorry).

Maybe you could try combining Thermopyles attempts/ideas and mix a charging station with retractable cables?

Promising cheap option on Amazon UK:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/iDsonix%C2%AEMulti-Device-Charging-Station-iPhones-Smartphones/dp/B00OTCEHW2/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1423150607

Promising expensive-but-not-outrageously-so option-which-involves-buying-a-separate-Anker-charging-hub:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/mobile-phones/dp/B00OUL91O6/ref=pd_sim_sbs_ce_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0RJV9PGMEFH37MTVFEF3

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

Am I correct in understanding the differences between the Moto G 1st and 2nd gens are the slightly larger screen and slightly better cameras on the 2nd gen, and that the Moto G is the best choice in the ~$200 price range?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Saucer Crab posted:

Am I correct in understanding the differences between the Moto G 1st and 2nd gens are the slightly larger screen and slightly better cameras on the 2nd gen, and that the Moto G is the best choice in the ~$200 price range?

You are correct, except for that there is an LTE version of the first-generation (released later on), but not the second. Right now if you buy the 2nd gen you had better just be satisfied with HSPA+.

I wouldn't say the 2nd gen camera is "good," but the 1st is a special brand of awful that harkens back to 2005 camera flip phones.

It's still the best cheap phone out there, by a mile. Heck, the 2nd gen unlocked one has Lollipop already.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

kitten smoothie posted:

You are correct, except for that there is an LTE version of the first-generation (released later on), but not the second. Right now if you buy the 2nd gen you had better just be satisfied with HSPA+.

I wouldn't say the 2nd gen camera is "good," but the 1st is a special brand of awful that harkens back to 2005 camera flip phones.

It's still the best cheap phone out there, by a mile. Heck, the 2nd gen unlocked one has Lollipop already.

LTE of the second gen is out in Brazil, I would probably hold out a month or two for the LTE 2nd gen.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Looking at getting the $25 Moto G that Cricket is offering now. Don't care that it's locked (cheap enough to unlock anyway) and fairly certain it's the LTE first gen variety. Not going to replace my Z3C with it, but think it'll be a great second/backup phone to have. Will mostly treat it like an iPod or pop the sim in it if I'm going somewhere I may not want to take my Sony. (hiking, biking, etc)

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Saucer Crab posted:

If you get a Moto G shipping with newer 4.4 firmware, there is no way to even root it.

My Cricket version of Moto G (XT1045) doesn't even have the tether menu. Every tether app fail to run on it.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

whatever7 posted:

If you get a Moto G shipping with newer 4.4 firmware, there is no way to even root it.

My Cricket version of Moto G (XT1045) doesn't even have the tether menu. Every tether app fail to run on it.

That's due to it being a carrier phone. If it was unlocked, it'd be there.

sd6
Jan 14, 2008

This has all been posted before, and it will all be posted again

sd6 posted:

So suddenly the screen on my Nexus 5 is all hosed up. I used it earlier to answer a text and it was perfectly fine, but now there's a blueish sort of fuzz or halo around the edges of my screen, and another yellowish halo inside of that one. I've tried resetting, and the closest thing I could find on a google search was someone saying to turn off magnification gestures in Settings -> Accessibility, but it's already off. Anyone else deal with this and know of a fix, or is this thing just boned?

Actually there's some spots showing up under the screen now, so the LCD is hosed. Sweet!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

ThermoPhysical posted:

That's due to it being a carrier phone. If it was unlocked, it'd be there.

To clarify: if I unlock the Cricket phone the option would appear, or would it have to be purchased unlocked?

Thanks!

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Is there any way to flash the stock Lollipop ROM onto my Xperia Z3 Compact when it's released by Sony? Or am I doomed to spend 2 years with Vodafone's iteration?

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

TraderStav posted:

To clarify: if I unlock the Cricket phone the option would appear, or would it have to be purchased unlocked?

Thanks!

There is absolutely nothing you can do with a Cricket XT1045, no root, no flash, no tether, no 3rd party tether, no USB tether. Nothing.

The only thing you can do is sim unlock it.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

TraderStav posted:

Thanks!

I believe you'd have to purchase unlocked, I'm not sure about unlocking phones though, apologies.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

TraderStav posted:

Thanks!

You'd want the bootloader unlocked to be able to root it and goof with that setting. I'm imagining that as Cricket's an AT&T brand, Motorola is implementing AT&T's policy on bootloader unlocks, which is "go pound sand."

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
If I grabbed a AT&T HTC One M7 from best buy for $149.99, I should be able to have AT&T unlock it via there website and them slap a tmobile micro sim card in correct?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
So apparently you can't do OTA update checks if you're rooted? My Note4 gives an error about unauthorized modified software when I hit the check for updates button.

I thought that was only custom ROMs.

Or is it the TWRP recovery? Oh well.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Heh, the lollipop update on my galaxy s5 has hosed with my wifi. If I keep that "smart connect" on all it does all day is drop/connect to wifi like every 5 minutes when there's nothing wrong with the wifi AP. If I turn it off, it works as it should but I mean if it's gonna be that lovely why have it on there?! :cripes:

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

Calidus posted:

If I grabbed a AT&T HTC One M7 from best buy for $149.99, I should be able to have AT&T unlock it via there website and them slap a tmobile micro sim card in correct?

That's correct. I did the same thing except I grabbed the deal when it was 200. Go to https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/#/ and choose 'not an att customer'. Input your info. They'll send you an email to upload the invoice from bestbuy. Took about 48 hours to get unlock code. Really easy.

Couple of things to know about the m7. Some models still have the camera purple tint. The tint usually pops up with the phone heated up so watch youtube or play some cpu intensive game to warm the phone up and take a ton of photos. The other is to make sure you get s-off before updating the phone(search for rumrunner). Takes about 20 minutes if you have ADB and fastboot setup. It will allow you to flash the official HTC developer edition rom and remove all att bloatware. If you don't obtain s-off before updating, you'll be stuck with the official att rom(which you really don't want).

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

lostleaf posted:

That's correct. I did the same thing except I grabbed the deal when it was 200. Go to https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/#/ and choose 'not an att customer'. Input your info. They'll send you an email to upload the invoice from bestbuy. Took about 48 hours to get unlock code. Really easy.

Couple of things to know about the m7. Some models still have the camera purple tint. The tint usually pops up with the phone heated up so watch youtube or play some cpu intensive game to warm the phone up and take a ton of photos. The other is to make sure you get s-off before updating the phone(search for rumrunner). Takes about 20 minutes if you have ADB and fastboot setup. It will allow you to flash the official HTC developer edition rom and remove all att bloatware. If you don't obtain s-off before updating, you'll be stuck with the official att rom(which you really don't want).

Thanks for the advice but seems they won't ship one to a store in my area. The hunt for a good cheap android phone with LTE continues.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

vyst posted:

Heh, the lollipop update on my galaxy s5 has hosed with my wifi. If I keep that "smart connect" on all it does all day is drop/connect to wifi like every 5 minutes when there's nothing wrong with the wifi AP. If I turn it off, it works as it should but I mean if it's gonna be that lovely why have it on there?! :cripes:

lol asking this about a Samsung. How's the fingerprint reader and S-voice and tilt to endlessly scroll and all that garbage?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Annath posted:

So apparently you can't do OTA update checks if you're rooted?
This is a Lollipop thing. Also you should really post this poo poo in the root thread.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Tunga posted:

This is a Lollipop thing. Also you should really post this poo poo in the root thread.

Didn't know there was a root thread. Figured this was the general android thread.

My bad. :rolleyes:

E: and I seriously doubt it's a Lollipop issue seeing as my Note is running 4.4.4

Annath fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Feb 6, 2015

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Annath posted:

Didn't know there was a root thread. Figured this was the general android thread.

My bad. :rolleyes:

E: and I seriously doubt it's a Lollipop issue seeing as my Note is running 4.4.4
No, that's a Samsung thing and one of the rare good ones. You should never take an OTA while rooted and at least Samsung blocks the device from even looking.

I think what Tunga is thinking of is the Lollipop change that going forward OTAs will look to see if the whole of /system has changed before applying the update whereas in the past it would just look at certain files, meaning extra files (like those required for root) wouldn't abort the update process. I'm not sure if that's anything that will apply to non-Nexuses as it would seem to be an OEM can roll their update however they want.

vyst posted:

A useless gimmick feature? On my Samsung?!?

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Are those tempered glass screen protectors worth it? If so, does anyone have any suggestions for the Note 4 and Note Edge?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

pandaK posted:

Are those tempered glass screen protectors worth it? If so, does anyone have any suggestions for the Note 4 and Note Edge?

Yes they are. I smashed the poo poo out of one and my phone was untouched. I have one with slight chips in it right now, again phone is in perfect shape underneath.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Oh god I just bought an LG G3 to replace my N4 and the software is already pissing me off. Guess I should have known better.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

dissss posted:

Oh god I just bought an LG G3 to replace my N4 and the software is already pissing me off. Guess I should have known better.
What is pissing you off?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

mango sentinel posted:

What is pissing you off?

Minor stuff
- Fonts in the notification shade are massive no matter what system font size you choose
- Notification bar in general is too big and the icons look bad
- All the available font options are ugly (where did Roboto go?)
- Lockscreen animations are all awful
- Dialer looks awful

It's just finished downloading the Lollipop update so maybe that changes some of the above

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

dissss posted:

I lasted three days before installing CM12. Figured I'd be able to handle LG's Touchwiz-wannabe after watching a few clips on youtube but turns out I couldn't. Everything (font, icons) was HUGE and couldn't be altered, of course, and the post-processing sharpness filter made my eyes bleed. Let me repeat that: LG thought it'd be a great idea to apply a goddamn sharpness filter - an aggressive one, too - on top of everything shown on screen.

I was ready to return the phone, but I decided to give CM12 a shot first because what the hell. Yes yes, I had to fix my brand-new phone with cyanogen lol NEVER SETTLE, but it seems they actually have competent devs working on this. I've experienced no forced closes or reboots or whatever other usual custom rom crap, everything works just fine. Feels like my Nexus 7, only faster. So, as long as it works, I'm keeping it; the minute I need to check xda to see how to fix something, it's gone.

The G3 is actually really nice without LG's crap getting in the way, but I understand "it's great, you just have to replace the operating system first!" isn't a great pitch. In my case, it was either that or going back to my four year old phone and gently caress that noise. The Nexus 6 was my first choice (needed 5.5" screen or more), but it costs almost twice as much as the G3 and seems to have way too many flaws considering its cost.

edit: ^^^^^ Lollipop helps a bit, but not enough. Do you have the playstation icons yet? If not, here's how they're going to look (compared to the regular, not clown-sized icons for your convenience) :

seravid fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Feb 6, 2015

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

dissss posted:

- Lockscreen animations are all awful

This was my biggest problem with the G3. Not only was every unlock animation overly cartoony, but you couldn't disable them and it made it feel like the homescreen was redrawing every time you unlocked the phone.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

seravid posted:

Do you have the playstation icons yet? If not, here's how they're going to look (compared to the regular, not clown-sized icons for your convenience)
Oh dear, they've used the original L preview buttons for no apparent reason.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

What is the point of letting a user tap on their camera view to focus on something if its just going to unfocus the poo poo as soon as you try to snap the pic.

How the gently caress has google managed to gently caress up cameras for this long.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

peepsalot posted:

What is the point of letting a user tap on their camera view to focus on something if its just going to unfocus the poo poo as soon as you try to snap the pic.

How the gently caress has google managed to gently caress up cameras for this long.

I use Focal when I need more than just a quick snapshot. Sure, the interface is as Gingerbread as it gets, but it gets the job done.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
The google plus camera is OK in the sense that it is better than the god awful stock moto one on every moto phone but it looks terrible-- half the screen is unused space with a camera button in the middle. And yeah I'm surprised android has gotten away with terrible camera apps for this long.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Bob A Feet posted:

The google plus camera is OK in the sense that it is better than the god awful stock moto one on every moto phone but it looks terrible-- half the screen is unused space with a camera button in the middle. And yeah I'm surprised android has gotten away with terrible camera apps for this long.

Most people have never even seen the stock camera app.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
So then while we are on the subject, what is the best camera app?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Bob A Feet posted:

half the screen is unused space with a camera button in the middle.

Depend on what aspect ratio pictures you are taking - if it is 4:3 (default) then obviously the full screen can't be used for the preview.