Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

What exactly was the scam though? They bought airline miles and used those to buy steaks. They planned on contaminating the steaks (how would anyone even detect the contamination with the original plan?) with the chickens and then sending the steaks back to get cash. Where do they make money? They'd have to just pay off Frank's credit card as well as pay for those chickens. Not to mention that vacuum sealer.

Frank already had the airline miles. They planned on unwrapping the steaks, putting feathers on them, then shrink wrapping them back up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

I can be framed easier than Whistler's Mother

Exploder posted:

I still think it's an homage, of sorts, to True Detective and McConaughey because of Dennis' repeated use of the phrase "alright, alright, alright." It still makes me laugh every time he does that, even after the third rewatch. Yes, that's how great this episode is, I've watched it three times already.

I was really confused about that line until reading this thread even though I found it hilarious.

Sweaty crazy Dennis at the end was also hilarious but confusing. Definitely a top-tier episode for me too.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Cojawfee posted:

What exactly was the scam though? They bought airline miles and used those to buy steaks. They planned on contaminating the steaks (how would anyone even detect the contamination with the original plan?) with the chickens and then sending the steaks back to get cash. Where do they make money? They'd have to just pay off Frank's credit card as well as pay for those chickens. Not to mention that vacuum sealer.

It's possible the scam was just to steal money from Frank.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Cojawfee posted:

Charlie explained it as Frank used his credit card to buy airline miles (and get bonus miles from the CC as well I would guess), and then they used the miles to buy the steaks. They planned to open the steaks and contaminate them with chickens and then repackage them all. They would then return all the steaks and get cash as a refund (instead of the miles they bought them with). Presumably when you buy miles, you get a higher value than the cash you pay for them since they are miles and can't be used for as many things. That and the bonus miles you are getting when buying them on your CC. So when Frank pays off the card with the cash there is a profit left over.

edit: think of it like this (to use another Sunny ref), say you go in to a D&B and buy a Power Card for $100 cash. As a bonus, they load up $120 worth of game credits (how much it would cost you to play games without buying in bulk) plus a $10 meal or something. Now if you could go on Ebay and sell that Power Card for the full $130 of value you just made $30 profit. It's kinna like that as I understand it.

Whether or not it all makes sense doesn't matter too much, since that was maybe the best Sunny ep ever!

Sophy Wackles fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Feb 6, 2015

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
It would actually make less sense for the scam to hold water.

A A 2 3 5 8 K
Nov 24, 2003
Illiteracy... what does that word even mean?

Pawn 17 posted:

edit: think of it like this (to use another Sunny ref), say you go in to a D&B and buy a Power Card for $100 cash. As a bonus, they load up $120 worth of game credits (how much it would cost you to play games without buying in bulk) plus a $10 meal or something. Now if you could go on Ebay and sell that Power Card for the full $130 of value you just made $30 profit. It's kinna like that as I understand it.

And you can even use the Dave & Busters card at the TGI Fridays out in Franklin Mills.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I thought maybe Dennis was sweaty and crazy at the end because of the carbon monoxide? But not sure if that makes much sense.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
He was exhausted from smuggling chickens from the vent onto the truck.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

I thought maybe Dennis was sweaty and crazy at the end because of the carbon monoxide? But not sure if that makes much sense.
He wasn't in the basement though! Yeah, I wasn't totally sure why he was dying. Was he crawling through the vents?

Excellent episode, one of their best.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

It would actually make less sense for the scam to hold water.

Yeah, pretty much.

It was a really stupid plan that would never make any money, but Frank probably financed it anyway because he thought it would be fun and also because he's a little bit senile.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf

Fast Luck posted:

Was he crawling through the vents?

No I think the chickens however traveled through the vents from the office to that pantry area. Dennis was just rushing around and loading everything into the truck.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

A A 2 3 5 8 K posted:

And you can even use the Dave & Busters card at the TGI Fridays out in Franklin Mills.

No we won't, you can though.

Unmerciful
Sep 14, 2008

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

This confused me the first time but I just watched the episode again and realized how much work the other characters are doing while Charlie's leading the lady around. Dennis was already exhausted when he and Mac stuffed the chickens in the vent so he was pretty much dead after racing around to load the truck and get back behind the bar.

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

I can be framed easier than Whistler's Mother

Unmerciful posted:

This confused me the first time but I just watched the episode again and realized how much work the other characters are doing while Charlie's leading the lady around. Dennis was already exhausted when he and Mac stuffed the chickens in the vent so he was pretty much dead after racing around to load the truck and get back behind the bar.

Makes sense. It just felt like so little time passed since we last saw him that he should have been sweatier before.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

I just rewatched and oh my god that look on Dennis' face when Mac meekly comes up to ask him for credit for the plan

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

robot roll call posted:

I just rewatched and oh my god that look on Dennis' face when Mac meekly comes up to ask him for credit for the plan

Yes Yes Yes times a billion. I caught it on the first go around and It was ever so slight but that's honestly one of the moments that stood out the most in my mind among all the other brilliant things in this episode.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Glenn Howerton is seriously one of the best actors alive right now.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

ChesterJT posted:

Oh it was fantastic, one of my favorites, but it's not groundbreaking or more impressive just because it was done on tv or that they don't have a "hollywood budget". And calling a show on it's tenth season with at least two more bought and paid for hardly qualifies as niche tv.

Any original programming on FXX almost has to qualify as "niche tv".

A A 2 3 5 8 K posted:

Nonsense, you can't have steak in an arcade setting at TGI Friday's.

raditts fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Feb 6, 2015

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012
It's gotten to the point where they all pretty much hate each other. Dennis and Mac used to be unable to function without each other but now Dennis openly expresses his hatred for the guy. Also openly loathes his sister. Charlie and Frank haven't really been shown together on their own lately but Charlie pretty much hates Mac now too. Makes you wonder what it is that's keeping these people together.

The bar. That's about it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

speshl guy posted:

It's gotten to the point where they all pretty much hate each other. Dennis and Mac used to be unable to function without each other but now Dennis openly expresses his hatred for the guy. Also openly loathes his sister. Charlie and Frank haven't really been shown together on their own lately but Charlie pretty much hates Mac now too. Makes you wonder what it is that's keeping these people together.

Its shown in the Gang settles their beefs. They are just completely co-dependent on each other.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

speshl guy posted:

Heeeeey Dennis.

Edit: Holy poo poo, on my rewatch of the most recent episode, I just noticed Frank was in the basement when Charlie took the inspector down there.

FireWorksWell fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Feb 6, 2015

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

FireWorksWell posted:

Heeeeey Dennis.

Edit: Holy poo poo, on my rewatch of the most recent episode, I just noticed Frank was in the basement when Charlie took the inspector down there.

The first time Charlie is down there with Dee he's trying to figure out the note he has Frank play on the recorder to sound like the detector

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

pahuyuth posted:

Yes Yes Yes times a billion. I caught it on the first go around and It was ever so slight but that's honestly one of the moments that stood out the most in my mind among all the other brilliant things in this episode.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Haven't seen this posted here yet, and it owns so loving hard:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gl4csDOgSF4

Dead Precedents
May 5, 2005

Precedents come and go, but death goes on forever.

suboptimal posted:

Haven't seen this posted here yet, and it owns so loving hard:

Man, it really does make for a scary movie.

Another one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxqcnJWKgP0

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Irish Joe posted:

What's wrong with a B+ :psyduck:

IT'S A FIVE STAR SHOW!

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:

Pawn 17 posted:

Charlie explained it as Frank used his credit card to buy airline miles (and get bonus miles from the CC as well I would guess), and then they used the miles to buy the steaks. They planned to open the steaks and contaminate them with chickens and then repackage them all. They would then return all the steaks and get cash as a refund (instead of the miles they bought them with). Presumably when you buy miles, you get a higher value than the cash you pay for them since they are miles and can't be used for as many things. That and the bonus miles you are getting when buying them on your CC. So when Frank pays off the card with the cash there is a profit left over.

Whether or not it all makes sense doesn't matter too much, since that was maybe the best Sunny ep ever!

This reminds me of a scam at Fatwallet where someone discovered that you could buy money from the US Mint at face value using airline miles and credit cards with cashback bonuses. There was free delivery too, and for some reason card companies weren't counting this as a cash advance. The money being sold by the US Mint was only coins. Dollar coins and half dollars sold out quickly. So all these assholes bought like $2000 in quarters and dimes, lugged the change to their banks, paid down the credit cards, and repeated this cycle again and again for like $30 a pop. People were maxing out their credit cards doing this and calling their card companies to get limits raised. They were unplugging the ethernet cords on Coinstar machines, which apparently makes it operate without a surcharge.

Basically, Fatwallet people are like the gang from Sunny.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

pahuyuth posted:

LOOK AT ME WHEN YOU'RE TALKING TO ME!

I was worried they would start to overplay Dennis as a serial killer, but he is doing fantastic things in his role as a sociopath.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

bobkatt013 posted:

Its shown in the Gang settles their beefs. They are just completely co-dependent on each other.

They also have an arbitration process, even if it seems to be rigged against Mac.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Is that the first time we've seen the pantry? Usually the only parts of the bar we see are the main area and the office.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

muscles like this? posted:

Is that the first time we've seen the pantry? Usually the only parts of the bar we see are the main area and the office.

Pretty sure they try to hide there in the hurricane.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

robot roll call posted:

The first time Charlie is down there with Dee he's trying to figure out the note he has Frank play on the recorder to sound like the detector

I didn't even pick up on that! I was kinda wondering what Frank was doing with the recorder.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I was wondering the same thing with the basement, have we actually seen it before?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Senor Tron posted:

I was wondering the same thing with the basement, have we actually seen it before?

Isn't that where they went to shoot guns and or beat the poo poo out of Charlie for training?

Otto von Ruthless
Oct 1, 2014

Isn't that where they went to shoot guns and or beat the poo poo out of Charlie for training?

Also Vietnamese gambling

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:
Someone made Dennis a serial killer:

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Also don't Frank's Vietnam buddies gamble down there?

edit: son of a

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

I was kind of hoping Dennis was sweaty because he had contracted some sort of bird flu.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Senor Tron posted:

Didn't Frank run a sweet sweat shop down there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

Already posted on this page jabroni.