Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

I had a really good stopwatch/Pyromaniac run with the Lost and I died because I ran into a projectile after everything in the room already died.

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

direspoon
Jul 8, 2006

Is that a spoon around your neck, or are you just happy to see me?

messagemode1 posted:

I had a really good stopwatch/Pyromaniac run with the Lost and I died because I ran into a projectile after everything in the room already died.

I feel your pain. I just had an infinite D6 reroll setup in the Chest ruined by a 9 Volt I picked up earlier in the run without thinking. Meatboy could've finally been mine.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
I only need Godhead and MissingNo to complete the game. I presume my best bet now is to get an explosive weapon or x-ray vision off the bat with Isaac and the d6 to go through every secret room, and also try to get into all angel rooms? Which means not taking any devil deals, yeah?

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
HN13
PS8F

That is a pretty good "I wanna break the game" seed for Eden. You start with D20 and the Piggy Bank. I think by caves 1 or 2 I was guppy. The first blood bank is in depths one and that's where you can basically exploit the hell out of the D20. One thing to know, the "half red, half white with red dots" pill is 48 hour energy.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Had a crazy lost run.

Holy Mantle, Stopwatch floor one, Brimstone, top damage, just crazyness.

But I accidentally skipped Mom, thus locking myself out of the boss rush and the chest, which is all I have left to do.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Gromit posted:

I only need Godhead and MissingNo to complete the game. I presume my best bet now is to get an explosive weapon or x-ray vision off the bat with Isaac and the d6 to go through every secret room, and also try to get into all angel rooms? Which means not taking any devil deals, yeah?

you need stuff like beggars or blood machines or whatever to maximize your chances, as they drop pedestal items eventually
they will drop items from their respective pools the first time, but if you reroll them, it'll reroll into items from the current room's pool, which its why its a good idea to carry a judgement into the angel room.

so try to do that, kill the angel so it drops a key, and then reroll. If you have goathead, try to beeline for the angel room so you can leave and recharge your d6 without the angel room closing.

as for missingno, the same thing applies, get any item that spawns pedestals into a secret room, and reroll away.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

You know what's fun? 20/20, Magnetic Tears, Rubber Cement, Sad Onion and Spoon Bender. It's an exercise in "I hope everything in this room dies before it gets flung on top of me."

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Strange Attractor seems like a really, really bad idea unless you have Ludo.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
So I'm finally getting a grasp on truly breaking this game with the D6- but I've never really understood what makes the D20 so powerful. What's the primer on abusing the D20? I imagine the setup for a 'unlimited reroll' is the same, but what's the goal?

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Poizen Jam posted:

So I'm finally getting a grasp on truly breaking this game with the D6- but I've never really understood what makes the D20 so powerful. What's the primer on abusing the D20? I imagine the setup for a 'unlimited reroll' is the same, but what's the goal?

The d20 could turn junk pick-ups into chests, and it also rerolls empty chests into new pick-ups or chests. The odds of getting an item from a chest is pretty good especially if you can mass-produce them by rerolling. Even if you don't get an item, it seems that gold chests drop more stuff the more of them you open in a run.

Speaking of chests, I want to appreciate that all the items you can find in random gold chests are severed heads or head-related. What's in the box!?!?

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

IMJack posted:

Speaking of chests, I want to appreciate that all the items you can find in random gold chests are severed heads or head-related. What's in the box!?!?

Wow, I never noticed that. I wonder how many other things I've missed.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

IMJack posted:

This is brilliant. Except I'm pretty sure you can get Cricket's Body from gold chests too.

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

strangemusic posted:

This is brilliant. Except I'm pretty sure you can get Cricket's Body from gold chests too.

nope
http://bindingofisaacrebirth.gamepedia.com/Item_Pool#tab=Golden_Chest

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

ArfJason posted:

you need stuff like beggars or blood machines or whatever to maximize your chances, as they drop pedestal items eventually
they will drop items from their respective pools the first time, but if you reroll them, it'll reroll into items from the current room's pool, which its why its a good idea to carry a judgement into the angel room.

so try to do that, kill the angel so it drops a key, and then reroll. If you have goathead, try to beeline for the angel room so you can leave and recharge your d6 without the angel room closing.

as for missingno, the same thing applies, get any item that spawns pedestals into a secret room, and reroll away.

Ahh, thanks for the tips. I hated trying to get an infinite d6 game going, as it took me forever just to get pyro to start with, but that does seem like a better way of getting the items I need.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

gg

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Guppy + Triple Eye + Brimstone + Holy Mantle = :kheldragar:

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

Poonerman posted:

Guppy + Triple Eye + Brimstone + Holy Mantle = :kheldragar:

Well really Guppy + anything

Also God dammit I was 1 hit short of Dead Boy today. gently caress you, bomb leeches in the Satan fight.

strangemusic fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Feb 4, 2015

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

:ocelot:
You're pretty good.

strangemusic posted:

Well really Guppy + anything

Also God dammit I was 1 hit short of Dead Boy today. gently caress you, bomb leeches in the Satan fight.

Dead Boy happens in The Chest or The Dark Room. Not Cathedral/Sheol.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe

Vic Boss posted:

Dead Boy happens in The Chest or The Dark Room. Not Cathedral/Sheol.

This got me thinking about how I could get Dark Boy with my sub-par Isaac skills. I could use an Emperor card to warp right to ??? and a Chaos Card to one-shot him.

Then I started thinking about a Starter Deck, Blank Card, and Battery build. With Emperor and Chaos Card you could assassinate most bosses. I have a new dream build to work towards.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

I got dead boy with ludo/brim and a holy mantle

Everything's dead so fast, you almost can't get hit a second time.

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

IMJack posted:

This got me thinking about how I could get Dark Boy with my sub-par Isaac skills. I could use an Emperor card to warp right to ??? and a Chaos Card to one-shot him.

Then I started thinking about a Starter Deck, Blank Card, and Battery build. With Emperor and Chaos Card you could assassinate most bosses. I have a new dream build to work towards.

The Chaos Card will only advance Satan one stage, I believe. So if you shoot him with the Chaos Card during his bullet hell phase, you still have to deal with his stomping phase. And even with two Chaos Cards, you still have to fight the Fallen first.

Incidentally, does shooting the Fallen with a Chaos Card kill him, or cause him to split?

I got Mama's Boy without even being aware of what I was doing after turning into Guppy.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

Dead, Dark, practically the same word. Bah!

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

You're pretty good.

strangemusic posted:

Dead, Dark, practically the same word. Bah!

Dead Boy is Dark Room, Dark Boy is Depths/Necropolis. No no-hit cheevo for Sheol/Cathedral. You can go hog wild and take all the damage on those floors.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0ERJiVwAYY

Heres a decent d20 breaking if you want an example.

Heffer fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Feb 4, 2015

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe

Codiekitty posted:

The Chaos Card will only advance Satan one stage, I believe. So if you shoot him with the Chaos Card during his bullet hell phase, you still have to deal with his stomping phase. And even with two Chaos Cards, you still have to fight the Fallen first.

I have killed Satan with a Chaos Card in his bullet hell stage, skipping the stompy phase entirely. CCing Mega Satan in his first phase will only put him into his skull phase; CCing his skull phase from full health and seeing the skull suddenly crumble is pretty cool.

But it's also the saddest part of the game, as you have truly run out of stuff to kill and must retire your broken build. Alas.

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat

Codiekitty posted:

Incidentally, does shooting the Fallen with a Chaos Card kill him, or cause him to split?

I got Mama's Boy without even being aware of what I was doing after turning into Guppy.

Nope. All multi-stage bosses actually have more health than appears on their boss meter, and split or activate the next stage before actually hitting zero, so anything that deals enough damage will overload the trigger and kill them without triggering the next stage. Chaos Card does this the easiest since it's basically infinite damage, but you can also do it with a sufficiently powerful Epic Fetus, Knife, or sometimes Brimstone hit. And yes, CCing the Fallen kills him without triggering the split.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
I'm just about ready to give up on the meat boy / bandage girl builds. I've tried restarting until finding the Manual a few times, with hopes to pickup anything to allow multiple uses (sharp plug, etc), but won the game before finding those extra synergies.

Any tips? Happy to just say gently caress it at this point...

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Cobalt60 posted:

I'm just about ready to give up on the meat boy / bandage girl builds. I've tried restarting until finding the Manual a few times, with hopes to pickup anything to allow multiple uses (sharp plug, etc), but won the game before finding those extra synergies.

I went with the Isaac/D6/pyro to start and then get the sharp plug and an explosive weapon so I could reuse the monster manual over and over. I didn't play to start with the manual as it's trumped by being able to reroll items.

Sibilant Crisp
Jul 4, 2014

Cobalt60 posted:

It's easier to start as Isaac with the D6 and hope and pray that you don't find the Manual until you find Sharp Plug, Pyromaniac, and some kind of access to unlimited explosions via Ipecac or any form of Fetus.

^^^
Got beat

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Hell, I got both during normal play just by getting the Book of Revelations early enough, and in both cases I was lucky and didn't get Conquest in the womb. Probably got them both in just over the time to beat every character on each difficulty, before getting 100 deaths. Something around 120 hours, not spent trying to obsess over getting those two achievements.

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

kvx687 posted:

Nope. All multi-stage bosses actually have more health than appears on their boss meter, and split or activate the next stage before actually hitting zero, so anything that deals enough damage will overload the trigger and kill them without triggering the next stage. Chaos Card does this the easiest since it's basically infinite damage, but you can also do it with a sufficiently powerful Epic Fetus, Knife, or sometimes Brimstone hit. And yes, CCing the Fallen kills him without triggering the split.

Huh, I recall reading somewhere it just advanced him a stage. Was that edited in a patch? Or am I thinking of Mega Satan, who doesn't have a health meter?

Felix_Cat
Sep 15, 2008
I found it's easiest to go Isaac with D6 and restart until your first treasure room is Pyro. Painstaking but once you get that you have a pretty decent chance of getting infinite rolls. If you put all your rerolls into the shop you should be able to get sharp plug or habit, and from there you just need an enemy with explosive shots (which you use to reroll an item until you can generate your own explosions). Plus you may be able to use the same run to generate other items you need.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
They don't have to start to with pyromaniac, either. Scapular is a great start for a breaking run too. Then just let the pieces come together, and hope for that sharp plug or habit in the shop. Once you get one, you can get the other. I think you'd need a wafer for the scapular sharp plug setup though. At that point, just roll whatever the hell you want until you get what you want, and it happens!

There's a guy on twitch called DTPhase that does a few breaking runs and just gets ridiculous things going. Sometimes they're fun to watch, but setting them up is pretty boring.

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat

Codiekitty posted:

Huh, I recall reading somewhere it just advanced him a stage. Was that edited in a patch? Or am I thinking of Mega Satan, who doesn't have a health meter?

It's probably that the Fallen is considered a different boss from Satan, so CCing one doesn't affect the other. As far as I know, CCing Satan has always killed him straight up. I haven't tried it against Mega Satan, but someone earlier said hitting him with the card instantly advances him to the final stage.

That Which Squeaks
Aug 28, 2006

"Good. Use your aggressive feelings, boy. Let the hate flow through you."
-Bill Belichick

Finally for me too. Time for some sleep.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

Had unicorn stump, moms knife AND gnawed leaf. I walk into a fresh room with easy enemies and waltz right into one of them without activating the stump.

It's me, I'm the worst lost player.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I was doing a challenge (the one with the slow huge tears) and Flush was just sitting on a pedestal in some random room that usually has a few pickups.

Didn't know pickups could be replaced by items that aren't in chests.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

Felix_Cat posted:

I found it's easiest to go Isaac with D6 and restart until your first treasure room is Pyro. Painstaking but once you get that you have a pretty decent chance of getting infinite rolls. If you put all your rerolls into the shop you should be able to get sharp plug or habit, and from there you just need an enemy with explosive shots (which you use to reroll an item until you can generate your own explosions). Plus you may be able to use the same run to generate other items you need.

Wait what.

How is having something that makes you immune to explosive shots also used to reroll items??

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
Sharp plug

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

Cobalt60 posted:

Wait what.

How is having something that makes you immune to explosive shots also used to reroll items??

Well you need explosive shots as well. So ipecac or a fetus item. With sharp plug, plug yourself to get a reroll and then heal yourself with your shots.

Does habit work if you shoot yourself with ipecac/pyro combinations? I've never had it to test.