Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilskillit
Jan 7, 2014

METAL TOADS

Leper Residue posted:

I always forget all the crazy poo poo Star Ocean 2 had. I loved that game. Rob people, cooking tournaments, stupid skills. I loved that game.

Despite some of it's issues it's in my top 5 RPGs of all time probably. I haven't played it through since I had a PS1. I finally broke down and bought a cheap gamepad for my phone. SO2 would be unplayable with virtual d-pad, but maybe now I should fire it up on my phone and give it another whirl. Just gotta try to decide / remember which character I'd want to play through as. I think Rena so I can have Dias in my party...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Serious Frolicking posted:

Just a fancy way of saying multiple protagonists. The problem is, the three are definitely not equal.

Geddoe, Chris, and Sergeant Joe -- seems pretty equal to me

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

The White Dragon posted:

If you're gonna play a Star Ocean game, just go straight to 2. 1 is okay, but it's still kinda :geno: when you compare it to the sequel. Claude from 2 is the son of Ronixis from 1, but it's still only tangentially relevant.

I already went through 2. I am seeking new janky things.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Goddamn the music in Suikoden is so loving good, I'd forgotten.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
NEO Scavenger
Darkest Dungeon
Tales of Maj Eyal

Looking to scratch my Roguelike/Mystery Dungeon itch. I have Dungeons of Dredmor but I dunno, something about it doesn't click very well with me. I have these three in my Wish List, but they all look a bit different than the standard Roguelike and very little like a Mystery Dungeon game.

Suggestions? Turn based probably works best but I'm open to anything.

Darkest Dungeon looks really neat but I dunno how side scrolling works in this genre.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Sakurazuka posted:

I remember being absolutely blown away by it when I first played the game at launch. It has aged incredibly well too.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

If we're posting awesome town themes in JRPGs....

Another Marbule Dunno why but feeling Chrono Cross-y of late. I guess there's nothing wrong with that though since it has one of the best OSTs ever. I should listen to it more.

And more legendary Mitsuda:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qH8MFPIvFpU

My favorite Mitsuda town theme would be this gem from the piece of poo poo known as Tsugunai:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z49Lxg65UOM

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

NEO Scavenger
Darkest Dungeon
Tales of Maj Eyal

Looking to scratch my Roguelike/Mystery Dungeon itch. I have Dungeons of Dredmor but I dunno, something about it doesn't click very well with me. I have these three in my Wish List, but they all look a bit different than the standard Roguelike and very little like a Mystery Dungeon game.

Darkest Dungeon looks really neat but I dunno how side scrolling works in this genre.

Check out One Way Heroics on Steam, it's mystery dungeon-styled with a twist where the world automatically scrolls like in old platformers. It's really fun.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Sakurazuka posted:

Some of the arrangements are drat good too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RX5PSBo7PsI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9L8MFHTNF0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZg1XvxXIIA

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

If Suikoden III didn't have Trinity Sight there's basically no way on Earth it wouldn't have starred Hugo, unfortunately.

A little late on this, but the manga basically had Chris as the protagonist IIRC.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

A little late on this, but the manga basically had Chris as the protagonist IIRC.

Nope. I own the manga and it is Hugo-centric. He is the True Fire Rune wielder.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Nope. I own the manga and it is Hugo-centric. He is the True Fire Rune wielder.
Welp. :v:

That said, it at least makes sense for Hugo to be the True Fire wielder, as amazing as sticking it on Geddor or Chris is.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I really hope Suokoden 3 ends up on PSN sometime, being European I've never played it. I could emulate I guess but eh.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Leper Residue posted:

I was about to say yeah Thomas wasn't nearly as cool as the other two, but he apparently wasn't even part of the actual 'Trinity'. I remembered Chris, Geddoe, Thomas, lizard and duck dudes, etc,. Completely forgot Hugo existed.

Hey, Thomas is a hard motherfucker. He shoulda gotten the True Wind Rune :colbert: Actually mechanically, he should've. He has an A+ in Wind Magic, and even though it takes almost 10,000 skill points, pretty much all of his skills max out at A or A+ rank. He's goddamn heroic.

Doctor Goat posted:

In that case, it's a good enough game. Admittedly I only played the SNES version back in like 03, but it's still fairly breakable. The most important thing you can do is save a space in your party for when you beat the coliseum because the character you recruit from there is (was?) a completely broken monster whose regular KMs have instant death procs that work on bosses :v:

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Feb 5, 2015

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Doctor Goat posted:

PLay OPOONA

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

U-DO Burger posted:

My favorite Mitsuda town theme would be this gem from the piece of poo poo known as Tsugunai:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z49Lxg65UOM

What does Mitsuda do these days? I know he composes the occasional odd song for games but never the whole soundtrack.

Maybe he was like "welp, I peaked with Chrono Cross and Xenogears so I might as well not try."

I can sympathize with this entirely correct opinion but it's still a shame.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Apparently the only thing he does on his own are the Inazuma Eleven series of DBZ football RPG's. :psyduck:

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

What does Mitsuda do these days? I know he composes the occasional odd song for games but never the whole soundtrack.

Maybe he was like "welp, I peaked with Chrono Cross and Xenogears so I might as well not try."

almost all the legendary figures from the snes-psx era are doing nothing now

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

Apparently the only thing he does on his own are the Inazuma Eleven series of DBZ football RPG's. :psyduck:

Wait, Football RPGs? Are those as good as those old Captain Tsubasa games?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

NEO Scavenger
Darkest Dungeon
Tales of Maj Eyal

https://www.desura.com/games/voyage-to-farland

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Mitsuda is devoting his time to perfecting his Chrono Cross arranged album that he's been working on for like a decade now and is totally coming out sometime this year.

:smith:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

HGH posted:

Wait, Football RPGs? Are those as good as those old Captain Tsubasa games?

Inazuma Eleven is good and also crazy.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

He did the Soma Bringer, Luminous Arc, Arc Rise Fantasia and Sands of Destruction OSTs and that's basically all he's done in the past decade. Aside from the Xenoblade ending song.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

GrandpaPants posted:

Some of the arrangements are drat good too.

Hell, I think I actually have one laying around somewhere in storage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97sdmQ37XXY

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

OneDeadman posted:

I'm the PersonaMan.

I'm all for goddamn Persona's 11

I think you mean The Tokyo Job :colbert:.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I'll admit I was a little worried that P5 was going to be too close to the previous games but this looks really promising.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I think you mean The Tokyo Job :colbert:.
More specifically, the Shibuya job.

Since it's taking place in Shibuya. It's neat that they're tying it to a specific real world place instead of making a city/town up.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So I finally got around to playing Popful Mail. The comments about the game being awkward because the enemies has double the HP (and I believe attack power?) is spot on. You can tell that the game is meant to be like Ys in which it's all suppose to flow smoothly. However, you just constantly die all the time. Its clear the enemies are suppose to take 1 or 2 hits to kill because once you hit them they're stunned. However you have to attack some enemies for like five seconds before they die and it really breaks the flow of the game. It feels like a game that the developer thought was too easy so they decided to double the enemy HP and half the player's defense to toughen the game up without taking any regard for the game's design.

The voice acting is decent though. Though what the gently caress does "I biffed it" mean?

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

Hard to tell out of context, but "biffing" means farting. So I'd say "I biffed it" is Working Designs for "I blew it"

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Codiekitty posted:

Hard to tell out of context, but "biffing" means farting. So I'd say "I biffed it" is Working Designs for "I blew it"

It's at the game over screen.

Jesus is that stupid.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Codiekitty posted:

"I screwed it up!" You have to remember that Working Designs' foremost assumption was that everyone is from California's north valley.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
There's a Persona for PSP, huh? Is it any good? Compared to whatever the original is?

Honestly, the only Persona I played was the very first one, but I would like to try another.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

if you only ever played the original persona you have nowhere to go but up

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Firstborn posted:

There's a Persona for PSP, huh? Is it any good? Compared to whatever the original is?

Honestly, the only Persona I played was the very first one, but I would like to try another.

You mean Persona 3 Portable? It's a good remake of Persona 3, to the point where I wouldn't play any other version of Persona 3 if I had the choice. I can't say whether you'd like Persona 3 though, it's half dating sim and half dungeon crawler.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
You can't really go wrong with anything Persona on PSP, especially if you only played the first one.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Firstborn posted:

Persona 2 Innocent Sin is miles above the original game. It's still very rough with drawn out battles and awkward balance. It's not uncommon in early SMT games to breeze through an area's enemies only to fight one type you have no strengths against that wrecks your party in a couple hits. It's really bad in the early games where there's like 5 different melee attributes.

Persona 3 Portable is graphically toned down from the PS2 version but has Persona 4's combat improvements like manual control for your party members. You also don't get tired in the loving dungeon.

e: Actually you still get tired but can buy an item that removes it.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Feb 6, 2015

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

The PSP remake of the original Persona has some issues, mostly only to those of us who played it in 1995 or whatever, but it's still probably infinitely more playable than the first version. I think my biggest problem was actually how off-tone the music was compared to the cool atmospheric ambience of the original soundtrack.

It still bothers me that the PSP version of Eternal Punishment never made it out of Japan. We finally got Innocent Sin though, and it had some pretty nice quality of life changes and an optional remixed soundtrack that was actually pretty decent, so that's something.

Persona 3 Portable made too many trade-offs due to technical limitations for me to recommend it very strongly, but the alternate protagonist and the improved battle mechanics brought in from P4 were really nice. That said, if you still have a working PS2 laying around then P3 FES might be the definitive P3 if you totally ignore The Answer.

e: or get it on PSN I guess, for some reason I forgot all about that.

Delsaber fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Feb 6, 2015

Forest Thief Pud
Dec 26, 2011

Firstborn posted:

Persona 1 Portable is pretty much the original but with a different (and worst) soundtrack, some very minor quality of life improvements, a localization that doesn't try to Americanise things, and allowing you to play the Snow Queen Quest for the first time in English(don't do this).

Persona 2's battle system is best described as Phantasy Star IV with some slight positioning elements that you can't really control and demon negotiation. It's probably got the best cast and plot of the bunch, but it is spread out over two games, and it does feel very dated in terms of combat(no where near as bad as Persona 1 though).

Persona 3 and 4 are pretty different. You go through a year day to day, building up relationships though the social link mechanic, and taking up time to go through dungeon runs. 3 Portable is probably the best of the Persona 3 set, adding features from P4 and adding a choice between male and female lead while effectively cramming a PS2 game into a PSP that runs decently as well as they can. Persona 4 Golden is the definative version of that game if you have a Vita/PSTV available, but vanilla is still worth a playthrough if you've got a PS3.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Anyone know if the GoG version of KOTOR 2 comes pre-patched to 1.0b?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

Forest Thief Pud posted:

Persona 2's battle system is best described as Phantasy Star IV with some slight positioning elements that you can't really control and demon negotiation.

I never thought of it this way before but it feels right, yeah. PSIV is probably a lot faster paced though since you could fiddle with all that stuff out of battle, kind of like FFXII's Gambits I guess, while P2 would require you to set up your sequence from scratch every single time. Unless that carried over between battles and I'm totally misremembering?

Nevermind old Persona games, I'm well overdue for a PSIV replay.