Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
75 US Senators signed a darling letter to John Kerry recently condemning Abbas's move to join the ICC because "the Palestinian Authority is not a state" and decrying it as "an attempt to threaten Israel". My two blue state Democratic Senators cosigned. gently caress you, Al Franken and Amy Klobuchar.

In other news, I sent an email off to BDS inquiring about protest groups in my area. Are there any superior anti-Apartheid organizations in the US?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

bpower posted:

When the parents come back they give Bibi a cheerful "Sholom!" (Peace!) and he answers "Not unconditionally!".

Is that a fair translation? i just read it elsewhere.

That is exactly how I was about to translate it, so yeah.

The ad is really, really, really embarrassing. Even for an Israeli political ad, and those are usually goofy in American terms. (Let the non-expat-Israelis confirm/deny?)

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

When the guy stupidly salutes him at the start is that a joke at him not expecting Netenyahu to be his bibisitter and not knowing how to act, or as ex-IDF are citizens meant to salute Bibi? I'd guess the former.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

nopantsjack posted:

When the guy stupidly salutes him at the start is that a joke at him not expecting Netenyahu to be his bibisitter and not knowing how to act, or as ex-IDF are citizens meant to salute Bibi? I'd guess the former.

No civilian is going to salute nobody in Israel, with the exception of maybe someone who used to be your commanding officer. It's a jarringly militaristic expression of respect for a high-ranking politician, especially one like Bibi who never made it to the big leagues militarily; basically, this response is completely foreign to the Israeli character, and is mostly a sad window into the beleaguered PM's psyche.

In other news, Tariq Abu Khdeir has been cleared of wrongdoing, namely, of repeatedly hitting police officers` fists and feet with his face and organs, and will be allowed to visit his family Jerusalem.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Absurd Alhazred posted:

No civilian is going to salute nobody in Israel, with the exception of maybe someone who used to be your commanding officer. It's a jarringly militaristic expression of respect for a high-ranking politician, especially one like Bibi who never made it to the big leagues militarily; basically, this response is completely foreign to the Israeli character, and is mostly a sad window into the beleaguered PM's psyche.

Ah I figured so, I just didn't know whether the Israeli PM was also a Commander in Cheif style role thus the salute.
I took it more as just a joke where the guy isn't sure of the proper formalities and so makes a mistake, which his partner corrects.
Although yeah now that you mention it I guess it is a little "The appearance of Netanyahu automatically provokes obeisance (with a lil military flavour) in lowly betas!".
I have never seen a good political ad though.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

nopantsjack posted:

He was flustered by the natural authority Bibi emits at all times.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

The ad popped up on facebook with the most primitive and predictable accompanying text:
נושא אחד בלבד עומד להכרעה בבחירות הקרובות: מי ינהיג את המדינה מול הטרור האיסלאמי הקיצוני והמירוץ של איראן לנשק גרעיני, מי ישמור על ביטחון אזרחינו וילדינו – בנימין נתניהו בראש ממשלת ליכוד חזקה ורחבה, או ציפי ובוז'י בראש ממשלת שמאל כנועה וחלש

Only one issue stands in question in the upcoming election: who will lead the country in the face of radical Islamic terrorism and Iran's race for nuclear weapons, who will ensure the security of our citizens and our children - Benjamin Netanyahu's as the prime minister of a broad, strong (virile, handsome, fully erect) Likud government, or Tzipi and Buzhi as the heads submissive and weak (beta as gently caress) leftist government.

Welp.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

No civilian is going to salute nobody in Israel,
Ahhem.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Feb 4, 2015

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

יסלח לי כבודו.

No nonfictional Israeli. Better?

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

SedanChair posted:

Mike Gravel did the world's first Dadaist political ad. This is just schmaltzy and bizarre.
I still think Kadima should have done a staring Gravel ad with vegetative Ariel

e: If Bibi turned up on my doorstep unannounced and insisted on having access to my children for the night, I would call the police. That's not a voting incentive, that's a legal emergency.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Can someone redo that Bibi-sitter ad with the Mr. Belvedere soundtrack. Thanks.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
Bibi Poppins is widely considered the worst musical.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

poo poo, I was completely overwhelmed by stupidity and actually missed that. Maybe it's all that Israeli brainwashing Bibi does in his off time. My bad!

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Version with english subtitles, because yes, dammit, this is almost as good as the Gravel ad for political dada.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cmac71R5Br8

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Lum_ posted:

Version with english subtitles, because yes, dammit, this is almost as good as the Gravel ad for political dada.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cmac71R5Br8

Oh, I can't wait to share this version with my anglophone friends.

Speaking of Netanyahu embarrassing himself and everyone, he got some choice responses for one of his tweets. I'll translate some highlights:

Netanyahu: Jewish Home will be in our government, but if it drops a few seats, no problem. If Likud loses seats, the left might get a chance to build the government.

Bennett: @netanyahu The first part isn't true (last time they tried to keep us out of the government), and the second part won't be (only a big Jewish Home can prevent the creation of another government with the left).

Kahalon: @naftalibennett @netanyahu You've been fighting for a year and 8 months. The People of Israel don't find it funny. Instead of beating each other, try to beat the cost of living.

Diskin: @naftalibennett @netanyahu Naftali, the public will soon realize the disdain of the Kooknicks for Mizrahi and traditionalist Jews. See Olam Katan newsletter (includes to a link referring to the extremely short-lived addition of Mizrahi soccer legend Eli Ohanad to Jewish home; the story talks about the implicitly inferior connection of the Mizrahi traditionalists to God, and talks about the natural response to a good Kookite Jew meeting them is wanting to clean their soccer-loving dust with DDT, a reference to how DDT was used on Mizrahi recent immigrants in the early 1950's. It's obscenely racist in Israeli intra-Jewish terms)

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
In further Netanyah-related developments, it's definitely growing way past Obama now. Politico states a whole slate of Democrats, including VP Biden, are hinting they're going to miss his speech.

"The showdown puts the White House in a position it isn’t much used to with Netanyahu: appearing to have the political edge. Throughout Obama’s time in office, the prime minister has elbowed his way into American politics to corner and game the president. This time, without much nudging from the White House beyond a complaint about breached protocol, Netanyahu’s speech has sparked criticism across Washington and in the American Jewish community — as well as among diplomats, Israeli officials and domestic political opponents who include his own former ambassador to Washington."

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
All I want in life is for Bibi to have zero friends. Not a single friend. Not one.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Avshalom posted:

All I want in life is for Bibi to have zero friends. Not a single friend. Not one.

He is making that a reality, day by day.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Avshalom posted:

He'll always have Mitt. Mitt isn't the sort to leave his old raider buddies high and dry.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

SedanChair posted:

He'll always have Mitt. Mitt isn't the sort to leave his old raider buddies high and dry.

But can a machine truly know... friendship?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
:ironicat: :ironicat: :ironicat: I think a newspaper fell through a dimensional hole from a bizarro alternate universe

http://www.jpost.com/Arab-Israeli-Conflict/Report-EU-building-hundreds-of-illegal-structures-for-Palestinians-in-Area-C-of-West-Bank-390184

quote:

The EU is building hundreds of illegal structures in the West Bank, which the government has not removed in order to avoid a diplomatic tangle with the Europeans, according to a report released Friday by the NGO, Regavim. The structures are being built near Ma’aleh Adumim and its E1 area.

This report is just one of a number the group – a right-wing organization which describes itself as a “research-backed, legal advocacy organization focused on land ownership issues” – has released in recent months.

According to Regavim, European Union support for the Palestinians has in recent years moved from “passive diplomatic and financial assistance to a situation of active cooperation in illegal building which the Palestinian Authority has been advancing unilaterally since 2000, as part of its strategic plan to create a Palestinian state de facto, while avoiding the need for negotiations with Israel.”

This week, prior to the release of its latest report, Regavim took journalists to look at a number of Beduin encampments straddling E1 as well as the Jerusalem-Jericho road. They are not temporary tent encampments as they were in years past, but rather clusters that – in addition to tents and tin shacks – also include modular structures with cement floors bearing the EU logo.

According to Ari Briggs, Regavim’s international relations director, the EU logo is placed on the structures in the belief that this will prevent Israel from demolishing them. Israel is not likely to take down a building with an EU logo, due to concerns over both public relations damage and the harm it could cause to relations with the EU, he said.

Maj.-Gen Yoav Mordechai, the coordinator of government activities in the territories (COGAT), was in Europe this week holding talks with high-level EU officials. One diplomatic source said this issue was one of the topics of his conversations.

A COGAT representative, referring to the Regavim charge that it is reluctant to take down the structures because of EU involvement, said: “The civil administration acts against illegal construction, and no organization is exempt from enforcement.

COGAT has sent official letters to embassies and international organizations cautioning them against building illegally in Judea and Samaria.”

Regavim claims EU support for these structures is part of a Palestinian plan to gradually take control of large parts of Area C, the 60 percent of the West Bank that, according to the Oslo Accords, is under full Israeli control.

The EU has for years increasingly focused on shoring up Palestinian development in this area, believing it vital to the viability of a future Palestinian state.

The EU-funded structures, according to Meir Deutsch, the director of Regavim’s policy and government relations department, are being placed illegally on state land, and in some cases in restricted nature reserves.

When Regavim appealed to the High Court in 2008 to compel the state to demolish illegal buildings in the area, it ruled that this could not be done until an alternative living arrangement was found for the Beduin living there. Israel then began planning a city – called Ramat Nueima – north of Jericho for some 12,000 people, a plan now adamantly opposed by the Palestinians and the EU.

In November, a meeting of EU foreign ministers issued a statement that, in addition to their usual condemnations of land expropriation and settlement construction, also slammed plans to “displace Beduin in the West Bank and the continued demolitions, including of EU and member states funded projects.”

The underlying idea behind the joint Palestinian/EU efforts in Area C, Briggs asserted, is to establish a permanent Palestinian presence on the state lands there. “This is great hypocrisy,” Briggs said. “Any time a building goes up for Jews, they raise an outcry, call it illegal and say it endangers peace. They are building illegal houses for Arabs.”

From 2012-2014, according to Deutsch, the EU – at the cost of millions of euros – has put up more than 400 structures.

In response, the EU said it is providing humanitarian assistance to communities in need in Area C in accordance with the humanitarian imperative; it is committed to supporting the development of Area C for the benefit of Palestinian communities; and it consults with the local communities themselves and the Israeli authorities where necessary.

According to a statement issued by the Office of the EU Representative in east Jerusalem, the EU is “deeply dismayed by and strongly opposes Israeli plans to expand settlements in the West Bank, including in east Jerusalem, and in particular plans to develop the E1 area.”

“The E1 plan, if implemented, would seriously undermine the prospects of a negotiated resolution of the conflict by jeopardizing the possibility of a contiguous and viable Palestinian state and of Jerusalem as the future capital of two states,” the statement read. “It could also entail forced transfer of civilian population.

In the light of its core objective of achieving the two-state solution, the EU will closely monitor the situation and its broader implications, and act accordingly. The European Union reiterates that settlements are illegal under international law and constitute an obstacle to peace.”

James Carver, a British member of the European Parliament from the right-wing Euroskeptic Independent Party, is sending a letter Friday to his colleagues based on the Regavim paper slamming the EU’s policy.

In the letter, Carver wrote that the EU actions do not comply with the founding treaties of the EU. He said the structures are disrespectful of the rule of law, because the construction of the structures without the necessary permits is a “manifest violation of law.”

Clearly, he wrote, “EU member states would not allow such behavior within their own borders, nor would the EU endorse or find it anywhere within the European Union. So why would the EU do so outside its borders?” Secondly, he wrote, the buildings contravene the Oslo Accords, which give Israel full administrative responsibility and authority over Area C. “Any building constructed without such permit is illegal, and by endorsing such acts by the Palestinians, the EU is participating in a violation of the Oslo II Agreement,” he wrote.

Finally, Carver added, some of the structures are being built on nature reserves, where construction is forbidden.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Someone who knows more about Israeli politics / parliamentary democracy plz help: assuming that Haaretz's current polls are 100% accurate, is there any likely feat of coalition-building that could possibly result in a prime-minister that is not Bibi? Likud has a 2-seat lead on Zionist Camp, and there's no way in hell that Habayit Hayehudi and Yisrael Beiteinu aren't gonna join the Likud coalition. And Shas. And Yachad. We're in trouble, aren't we? :smith:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

loquacius posted:

Someone who knows more about Israeli politics / parliamentary democracy plz help: assuming that Haaretz's current polls are 100% accurate, is there any likely feat of coalition-building that could possibly result in a prime-minister that is not Bibi? Likud has a 2-seat lead on Zionist Camp, and there's no way in hell that Habayit Hayehudi and Yisrael Beiteinu aren't gonna join the Likud coalition. And Shas. And Yachad. We're in trouble, aren't we? :smith:

Considering their big "gently caress you" to an 11-12 seat bloc in the next Knesset which would have at least been capable of supporting them from the outside, it doesn't seem like they could head a coalition. Even if Ynet's poll is true, they are going to have a rough time of it. But at least they showed those A-rabs!

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Yeah, they really disappointed me with that decision. Looks like I'll be voting Meretz once again. :smith:

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Considering their big "gently caress you" to an 11-12 seat bloc in the next Knesset which would have at least been capable of supporting them from the outside, it doesn't seem like they could head a coalition. Even if Ynet's poll is true, they are going to have a rough time of it. But at least they showed those A-rabs!

Tzipi coming out openly with support for working with Arabs to becone PM? That's a Bibisitter supermajority.

I like Bibi's ads, they're funny and kinda cute. If I was in Israel, I'd vote for Bibi.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

My Imaginary GF posted:

Tzipi coming out openly with support for working with Arabs to becone PM? That's a Bibisitter supermajority.

I like Bibi's ads, they're funny and kinda cute. If I was in Israel, I'd vote for Bibi.

Why not Naftali?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Volkerball posted:

Why not Naftali?

Naftali is a crazy populist out for his own power. Bibi is an elder statesman who understands security in the post-9/11 era. I respect Bibi's positions on most issues, with a noted exception for his positions on racial mixing and blacks.

He just hasn't let his brother's death go, and it really impacts his policies which deal with perceived East Africans.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
This is interesting. According to Tablet Mag (notoriously pro-Israeli-righwing, be forewarned), the NYT corrected its reporting to show that Netanyahu in fact did inform the White House about his visit, thus being in line with protocol. They take this to be deliberate dissembling by WH spokespeople and the NYT, as well as the rest of the Liberal Media. What NYT do say is the following:

An earlier version of this article misstated when Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu of Israel accepted Speaker John A. Boehner’s invitation to address Congress. He accepted after the administration had been informed of the invitation, not before.

It seems to be ambiguous as to how the Administration has been informed.

This is reviving the feeling I had that Boehner is actually throwing Netanyahu under the bus here, to avoid being charged under the Logan Act.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Absurd Alhazred posted:

This is interesting. According to Tablet Mag (notoriously pro-Israeli-righwing, be forewarned), the NYT corrected its reporting to show that Netanyahu in fact did inform the White House about his visit, thus being in line with protocol. They take this to be deliberate dissembling by WH spokespeople and the NYT, as well as the rest of the Liberal Media. What NYT do say is the following:

An earlier version of this article misstated when Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu of Israel accepted Speaker John A. Boehner’s invitation to address Congress. He accepted after the administration had been informed of the invitation, not before.

This is reviving the feeling I had that Boehner is actually throwing Netanyahu under the bus here, to avoid being charged under the Logan Act.

That article is either misunderstanding or deliberately misinterpreting the quote that it's based on (probably the latter, given that it seems to be exploding across right-wing media). The Times quote it's based on doesn't say that Netanyahu informed the White House before accepting the invitation, only that the White House was informed before he accepted the invitation - it doesn't say who informed the White House. Which is important, because the story has always been that the White House was informed before the public announcement of acceptance - their problem was always the fact that they heard it from Boehner rather than from Netanyahu. Considering that the Israeli ambassador has openly admitted that Netanyahu did not inform the White House, and that his excuse for that is that he expected Boehner to do it, the main issue the White House had is pretty squarely confirmed by both sides. Unless you think Netanyahu's own spokespeople are throwing him under the bus in order to protect Boehner, I guess.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Main Paineframe posted:

That article is either misunderstanding or deliberately misinterpreting the quote that it's based on (probably the latter, given that it seems to be exploding across right-wing media). The Times quote it's based on doesn't say that Netanyahu informed the White House before accepting the invitation, only that the White House was informed before he accepted the invitation - it doesn't say who informed the White House. Which is important, because the story has always been that the White House was informed before the public announcement of acceptance - their problem was always the fact that they heard it from Boehner rather than from Netanyahu. Considering that the Israeli ambassador has openly admitted that Netanyahu did not inform the White House, and that his excuse for that is that he expected Boehner to do it, the main issue the White House had is pretty squarely confirmed by both sides. Unless you think Netanyahu's own spokespeople are throwing him under the bus in order to protect Boehner, I guess.

Yeah, that sounds about right. I did point out they were taking advantage of an ambiguity, but I'm running on little sleep so I had a hard time parsing the bigger picture. I should probably try and find an earlier NYT source confirming that this is rubbish by Tablet et al, in case I need to use it arguing with people online (although in Israel that ship has sailed long ago, I think).

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

My Imaginary GF posted:

Bibi is an elder statesman who understands security in the post-9/11 era.

Agreed entirely since mainstream security policy since 9/11 has almost solely involved exacerbating the threats of terror by using state-terror against potential terrorists. Its pretty amusing how the guys who are viewed as competent on security are the guys working hardest against the security goals of their nations because "national security" hasn't been an end in decades its been a means of expansion.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Yeah, that sounds about right. I did point out they were taking advantage of an ambiguity, but I'm running on little sleep so I had a hard time parsing the bigger picture. I should probably try and find an earlier NYT source confirming that this is rubbish by Tablet et al, in case I need to use it arguing with people online (although in Israel that ship has sailed long ago, I think).

The sourcing should probably be enough, since it comes almost exclusively from the far-right blogosphere. I think even Fox News hasn't picked it up yet. If someone throws it at you on Facebook, just challenge them to find a more reliable and mainstream source than Times of Israel or the American Thinker. Either they'll fail, or they'll start screaming about some kind of media conspiracy.

I'm not sure you're going to find a single source that gives the full rundown, because (as is often the case when politics and diplomacy intersect) it's a complex issue built around a bunch of very small distinctions in a very short period of time, and news articles at the time weren't expecting to cover the whole thing in that level of exhaustive detail; the White House was apparently informed of the invitation only two hours before it was publicly announced. Here's a detailed timeline with sourcing, for each entry, as best as I can figure from consulting various sources:

Sometime around Jan 7th: Boehner contacts Netanyahu's administration to say that he'd like to invite Netanyahu to come give a speech in front of Congress. Netanyahu's administration responds that he would like to do that, and an unspecified amount of time is spent working out schedules and details between Boehner's staff and Netanyahu's staff. The source for this information does not specifically state that Netanyahu knew about it at this phase, but I find it incredibly unlikely that this was all set up without his knowledge and approval.
Source

quote:

Now let me tell you the facts. The speaker’s office initially reached out to me regarding the idea of the prime minister giving a speech less than two weeks before an official invitation was sent. We said that we were open to making such an address and went back and forth with the speaker’s office to see if there were potential dates that could work for the prime minister’s schedule and the congressional calendar.
Source

quote:

The White House was first notified of this invitation on the morning of Jan. 21, by Boehner, almost two weeks after he first asked Dermer if Netanyahu might be interested. In response to this initial request, Boehner was informed that the Prime Minister was open in principle to an invitation.
Source

quote:

The invitation was a coordinated effort involving Boehner and Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell with staff discussions beginning last year, according to a senior Republican aide, who spoke only on condition of anonymity because he wasn't authorized to publicly discuss the private talks. Boehner contacted the Israeli ambassador on Jan. 8 to assess Netanyahu's interest and received a positive response.
Source

quote:

Boehner's team had been discussing this invite with Netanyahu "for weeks," according to a House GOP leadership source, who added the reason driving the invitation was the Administration's negotiations with Iran.
============================================

January 20th or 21st, morning: Boehner sends Netanyahu an official invitation letter to come speak in front of Congress on February 11th.
Source

quote:

The final decision to invite the prime minister was made by the speaker’s office the day before he was invited—and I was informed of it that afternoon.
Copy of invitation letter (note date of Jan 21st, not 20th)

January 20th, afternoon: Kerry has a "lengthy" meeting with the Israeli ambassador, who was aware of Boehner's initial outreach and the ongoing negotiations, but mentions nothing to Kerry.
Source

quote:

The day before the announcement, on the day of the President's State of the Union speech, Secretary of State John Kerry had a lengthy meeting with Dermer, where Dermer never mentioned it.
Source

quote:

It was also made clear to me that it was the speaker’s responsibility and normal protocol for the Speaker’s office to notify the administration of the invitation. That is why I felt it would be inappropriate for me to raise the issue with the administration, including in my meeting with the secretary of state, until the speaker notified them.

January 21st, morning: Boehner informs the White House that he has invited Netanyahu.
January 21st, two hours later: Boehner privately informs the Republicans about the invitation in a closed-doors meeting, and then publicly announces in a press conference that he has invited Netanyahu to come speak to Congress on February 11th.
Source

quote:

Boehner announced Wednesday that the Israeli leader will speak to a joint session of Congress on Feb. 11 to talk about the Obama administration’s efforts to negotiate a deal with Tehran that would lift sanctions in exchange for putting an end to Iran’s nuclear weapons program.
Source

quote:

The White House was first notified of this invitation on the morning of Jan. 21, by Boehner, almost two weeks after he first asked Dermer if Netanyahu might be interested.
Source

quote:

The speaker’s office apparently informed the administration about it the morning of the announcement, around two hours before it was publicized. After it was publicized, we were in contact with administration officials, both here and in Jerusalem.
Source

quote:

While they did not consult with the White House, this Republican aide said Boehner's office did inform the White House this morning that Netanyahu would be coming.

January 21st, afternoon: By noon, White House officials are telling reporters saying that they have not yet heard from Netanyahu or the Israeli government and complaining that it's unheard of for the President to only learn about a foreign leader's visit from the Speaker of the House, without being informed by that leader. Boehner publicly confirms that the White House wasn't involved and declares that Congress didn't need the White House's permission or knowledge to invite Netanyahu. By evening, the public spat is already exploding into a national controversy.
Source

quote:

“I did not consult with the White House,” Boehner told reporters. “The Congress can make this decision on its own. I don't believe I'm poking anyone in the eye. There is a serious threat that exists in the world and the president last night kind of papered over it. The fact is there needs to be a more serious conversation in American about how serious the threat is from radical Islamic jihadists and the threat posed by Iran.”
White House press secretary Josh Earnest said the administration would "reserve judgment on the trip" until they had a chance to speak to the Israeli government, but that the unilateral invitation from Congress "seems to be a departure from the protocol."

He said that the White House had not heard from the Israelis "about this at all," and was only notified by the Speaker's office earlier Wednesday.
State Department spokeswoman Jen Psaki said the administration was not opposed to Netanyahu speaking, but reiterated that the invitation was a surprise to the administration.

"Certainly, traditionally, we would learn about the plans of a leader to come to the United States, separately from learning about it from the Speaker of the House, which is how we learned of Prime Minister Netanyahu's plans to come and speak to a joint session," Psaki said.
The address would mark Netanyahu's third appearance before Congress and his second during Boehner’s tenure as Speaker.

January 22nd, 6am: Boehner reports that Netanyahu had requested that the speech date be moved to March 3rd so that he can also address an AIPAC meeting around that time.
Source

quote:

At his request, PM @Netanyahu of #Israel will now address joint mtg of Congress on March 3 so he can attend @AIPAC conference in DC.

January 22nd, 11am: Netanyahu's office officially announces that he has officially accepted Boehner's invitation. Shortly afterward, Obama announces that he will not be meeting with Netanyahu during the visit.
Source

quote:

JERUSALEM (AP) — Israel's prime minister says he has accepted House of Representatives leader John Boehner's invitation to address the U.S. Congress.

Boehner invited Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to speak to a joint meeting of Congress in February and push for new sanctions against Iran. Netanyahu said he would come in March. The White House called the invitation a breach of protocol.

A statement from Netanyahu's office Thursday didn't refer to the spat. It said the speech will give him the chance to "thank President Barack Obama, Congress and the American people for their support of Israel."
Source

quote:

“Accordingly, the president will not be meeting with Prime Minister Netanyahu because of the proximity to the Israeli election, which is just two weeks after his planned address to the U.S. Congress,” Ms. Meehan said.

Earlier Thursday, Mr. Netanyahu announced that he would accept the Republicans’ invitation to address Congress in March.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Hardly matters even if it's true, Biden's not attending and other democrats will be boycotting. The White House certainly feels protocol was breached.

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

Xandu posted:

Hardly matters even if it's true, Biden's not attending and other democrats will be boycotting. The White House certainly feels protocol was breached.

We dont know that for sure do we?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Biden? He just announced he would be "overseas".

http://www.jpost.com/Israel-News/Politics-And-Diplomacy/VP-Biden-to-skip-Netanyahus-speech-before-Congress-390257

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Main Paineframe posted:

Bolded the important part. Their issue is that Boehner invited Bibi to speak on a topic which the President is weak on and has effectively no support in Congress for; to that end, WH pre-empted the political hit they'd take from the visit by making it about the visit itself, rather than the subject of the visit, by disseminating its talking talking points to friendly media outlets.

These talking points were crafted to imply that Bibi had breached Executive protocol, when WH, Congress, and Bibi know drat well that Obama could have come out publicly against Bibi's visit after Boehner informed WH the invitation had been made. WH wants to smear Bibi before Bibi starts the news cycle about how weak Obama has been on Iran, thus making this a partisan issue, rather than the bi-partisan and broad dissent which is Congress, and the American people's, opinion on Obama's policies of mid-east appeasement.

Biden knows a live grenade when he sees one, and with his Presidential ambitions, is more than happy for Hillary to wind up with the hot potato.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

My Imaginary GF posted:

Biden knows a live grenade when he sees one, and with his Presidential ambitions, is more than happy for Hillary to wind up with the hot potato.

So the potato is a grenade? Thanks Tom.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

SedanChair posted:

So the potato is a grenade? Thanks Tom.

It all makes sense now.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Main Paineframe posted:

The sourcing should probably be enough, since it comes almost exclusively from the far-right blogosphere. I think even Fox News hasn't picked it up yet. If someone throws it at you on Facebook, just challenge them to find a more reliable and mainstream source than Times of Israel or the American Thinker. Either they'll fail, or they'll start screaming about some kind of media conspiracy.

I'm not sure you're going to find a single source that gives the full rundown, because (as is often the case when politics and diplomacy intersect) it's a complex issue built around a bunch of very small distinctions in a very short period of time, and news articles at the time weren't expecting to cover the whole thing in that level of exhaustive detail; the White House was apparently informed of the invitation only two hours before it was publicly announced. Here's a detailed timeline with sourcing, for each entry, as best as I can figure from consulting various sources:

Sometime around Jan 7th: Boehner contacts Netanyahu's administration to say that he'd like to invite Netanyahu to come give a speech in front of Congress. Netanyahu's administration responds that he would like to do that, and an unspecified amount of time is spent working out schedules and details between Boehner's staff and Netanyahu's staff. The source for this information does not specifically state that Netanyahu knew about it at this phase, but I find it incredibly unlikely that this was all set up without his knowledge and approval.
Source

Source

Source

Source

January 20th or 21st, morning: Boehner sends Netanyahu an official invitation letter to come speak in front of Congress on February 11th.
Source

Copy of invitation letter (note date of Jan 21st, not 20th)

January 20th, afternoon: Kerry has a "lengthy" meeting with the Israeli ambassador, who was aware of Boehner's initial outreach and the ongoing negotiations, but mentions nothing to Kerry.
Source

Source

January 21st, morning: Boehner informs the White House that he has invited Netanyahu.
January 21st, two hours later: Boehner privately informs the Republicans about the invitation in a closed-doors meeting, and then publicly announces in a press conference that he has invited Netanyahu to come speak to Congress on February 11th.
Source

Source

Source

Source

January 21st, afternoon: By noon, White House officials are telling reporters saying that they have not yet heard from Netanyahu or the Israeli government and complaining that it's unheard of for the President to only learn about a foreign leader's visit from the Speaker of the House, without being informed by that leader. Boehner publicly confirms that the White House wasn't involved and declares that Congress didn't need the White House's permission or knowledge to invite Netanyahu. By evening, the public spat is already exploding into a national controversy.
Source

January 22nd, 6am: Boehner reports that Netanyahu had requested that the speech date be moved to March 3rd so that he can also address an AIPAC meeting around that time.
Source

January 22nd, 11am: Netanyahu's office officially announces that he has officially accepted Boehner's invitation. Shortly afterward, Obama announces that he will not be meeting with Netanyahu during the visit.
Source

Source

That is an impressive amount of work. Thank you so much.

Xandu posted:

Yeah. You know, it doesn't matter even if all the right-wing papers take this tract or whatnot. The fuckup for Netanyahu is that it's become wider than a simple personal issue with Obama: it's spread to alienating more and more Democrats, and turning his policies into an American partisan issue.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Motherfucker, when Abe Foxman tells you you've gone too far, you ain't good for the Jews, and I don't care what Habbad says.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

My Imaginary GF posted:

Bolded the important part. Their issue is that Boehner invited Bibi to speak on a topic which the President is weak on and has effectively no support in Congress for; to that end, WH pre-empted the political hit they'd take from the visit by making it about the visit itself, rather than the subject of the visit, by disseminating its talking talking points to friendly media outlets.

These talking points were crafted to imply that Bibi had breached Executive protocol, when WH, Congress, and Bibi know drat well that Obama could have come out publicly against Bibi's visit after Boehner informed WH the invitation had been made. WH wants to smear Bibi before Bibi starts the news cycle about how weak Obama has been on Iran, thus making this a partisan issue, rather than the bi-partisan and broad dissent which is Congress, and the American people's, opinion on Obama's policies of mid-east appeasement.

Bibi needs to sit down and shut the gently caress up, because America is the adult country and Israel is the little kid country and if you want to sit at the big boys table you need to eat your peas. Scream and shout all you want. If Bibi wants to have his speech, he needs to bend the knee and acknowledge Obama's suzerainty over his lesser realm.

• Locked thread