Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
There might have been successive plague waves whenever a new generation of unexposed grew big enough to sustain an epidemic but that is but a small price to pay for living free from toxins.

The plague comes to your village, half the population dies, your parents, your brothers and sisters are all dead. You survive this living hell, meet your wife and try to forget all the horror. 30 years later the plague returns, you are safe because you already had it once but half your children die and so do most of your grandchildren. But thank god at least none of them were autists.

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Feb 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Nintendo Kid posted:

A friend still had a memebership at a forum that's apparently overrun with anti-vaxxers now:
[snip]

What forum is this?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Nintendo Kid posted:

A friend still had a memebership at a forum that's apparently overrun with anti-vaxxers now:

It only took them 6 threads to find someone declaring a disease didn't exist (in this case ebola).

Goddamn that poo poo makes me so angry, these fools are endangering their own children not to mention the general population and now we have loving opportunistic slime politicians playing to these fears! Just force vaccinations on anyone who can take them safely, no more pandering to these made up fears and boogeymen! :argh:

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
childmurderers.com

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Discendo Vox posted:

What forum is this?

No idea, other than she's from Canada.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

disheveled posted:

Heard this today, thought it was interesting:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2015/02/04/383796532/pediatricians-pressured-to-drop-parents-who-wont-vaccinate

Glad more parents are starting to speak up. This is a concern of mine, considering the PNW is one of my most likely landing spots when I start a family. I really don't want to be in a community where exposure is a significant risk.

How long until these actually-smart parents are portrayed as selfish monsters trying to prevent other people's innocent children from receiving medical care?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Nintendo Kid posted:

No idea, other than she's from Canada.

We are not exempt from this special brand of crazy up here even with our evil health care system. Im starting to believe that guy that said this anti-vaccination movement is one thing that surprisingly ignores most borders and barriers, both social and geographical. :(

Another confirmed case of measles in Toronto today, and this person was fully vaccinated. I cant wait to see how these nutters take this and run with it.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
I found this little exchange somewhat entertaining, only because my feed is full of new parents and med school grads.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
It's a shame these idiots' actions carry a possibility of death for their and others' children, instead of assuredly causing immediate death to themselves. We should convince them that hemlock is totally great for them because it's all-natural and poo poo.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
Red state, lots of tinfoil hatters, and whooping cough. Who'da thunk it?

There are probably still some RON PAUL 2008 campaign signs in the weeds along the highway in Ravalli county.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Nintendo Kid posted:

It only took them 6 threads to find someone declaring a disease didn't exist (in this case ebola).

I want to build up my child's immune system the healthy, organic way by letting them suffer from fully preventable diseases! None of this bullshit synthetic vaccine nonsense for my special snowflake, even though it serves the exact same biological function as a chicken pox party while avoiding the actual misery of illness!

loving hell these people deserve to be screamed at and publicly humiliated, but we all know that will just make them double down and fuel the persecution complexes that get them out of bed in the morning.

Rhesus Pieces fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Feb 6, 2015

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Rhesus Pieces posted:

I want to build up my child's immune system the healthy, organic way by letting them suffer from fully preventable diseases! None of this bullshit synthetic vaccine nonsense for my special snowflake, even though it serves the exact same biological function as a chicken pox party while avoiding the actual misery of illness!

loving hell these people deserve to be screamed at and publicly humiliated, but we all know that will just make them double down and fuel the persecution complexes that give them a reason to get up in the morning.

The usual trope is ~*natural immunity*~ is soooo much better than artificial vaccinations because of valid scientific reasons that no I can't go into right now how dare you question me I'm a parent don't you think I want what's best for my child!?

I have encountered this in person. It was infuriating.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Does this mean that there's a potential market for all-organic vaccines that you have to keep refrigerated and poo poo? Give your kids immunity to measles with a vaccine that contains no preservatives, no artificial ingredients, just some dead viruses and a hypodermic needle made from all-natural magic crystals that will also balance your chi. You could probably charge a fuckton, and the vaccines themselves would be less effective but you'd at least be introducing some amount of resistance into this population of morons

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
I'd rather we just brand "child murderer" on their foreheads and forcibly vaccinate their kids.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

VideoTapir posted:

I'd rather we just brand "child murderer" on their foreheads and forcibly vaccinate their kids.

Too obvious. Now, if we just gave them these armbands that they have to wear at all times and then segregate them away from the rest of the population...

Mr. Welfare
Feb 12, 2009

Centrelink's Finest

VideoTapir posted:

Go with the classy option, and tattoo this on their cheeks:

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

QuarkJets posted:

Does this mean that there's a potential market for all-organic vaccines that you have to keep refrigerated and poo poo?

Vaccines have to be kept refrigerated, that's what makes vaccination in remote regions difficult. At least for some vaccines.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Solkanar512 posted:

Washington State has a bill in the legislature removing the "personal belief" exemption, allowing only medical and religious exemptions. I believe California has a similar bill.

Here's what I don't understand - what's the practical difference legally speaking between a "personal belief" exemption and a "religious" exemption?

Religious exemptions usually require a bit more paperwork than refusing vaccinations because someone read an article on the Intertubes and/or watched Jenny McCarthy on The View.

The personal belief exemption usually just boils down to a checkbox on a form that can basically be boiled down to, "Because I didn't feel like it."

The religious groups that straight out forbid modern medicine are such a small part of the overall population that traditionally it wasn't worth picking a fight with them. Christian Scientists and Jehovah's Witnesses are probably the two biggest denominations who prefer the healing power of prayer over actual medicine, and they're usually considered to be pretty fringe groups.

If nothing else, making the the vaccine deniers fill out extra paperwork couldn't hurt.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Feb 6, 2015

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

thrakkorzog posted:

Religious exemptions usually require a bit more paperwork than refusing vaccinations because someone read an article on the Intertubes and/or watched Jenny McCarthy on The View.

The personal belief exemption usually just boils down to a checkbox on a form that can basically be boiled down to, "Because I didn't feel like it."

The religious groups that straight out forbid modern medicine are such a small part of the overall population that traditionally it wasn't worth picking a fight with them. Christian Scientists and Jehovah's Witnesses are probably the two biggest denominations who prefer the healing power of prayer over actual medicine, and they're usually considered to be pretty fringe groups.

If nothing else, making the the vaccine deniers fill out extra paperwork couldn't hurt.

Hell, the Jehovah's Witnesses I knew in school were vaccinated, they just mostly have the no blood transfusions thing.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
brief rundown on religious exemptions and where they do and don't exist.

Since 1952, Jehovah's witnesses have been cool with vaccines.

http://pediatrics.about.com/od/immunizations/a/religious-vaccine-exemptions.htm

Also, 5 new cases in infants at a daycare in Chicago. And again I am relieved that our state requires vaccines as part of the daycare licensing requirements absent medical exemption. gently caress, if I can't send my kid in with peanut butter, you can't send yours in with contagious diseases.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Don't let Big Pharma tell you your child can't enjoy a peanut butter sandwich at school. Let other parents make decisions about what their child eats and they should respect your decisions. You're a parent so you know what's best.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

VitalSigns posted:

Don't let Big Pharma tell you your child can't enjoy a peanut butter sandwich at school. Let other parents make decisions about what their child eats and they should respect your decisions. You're a parent so you know what's best.

Ordering my child to stop offering your kid a bite of his peanut butter sandwich on the ground that your kid is allergic is an unacceptable infringement of his freedom of religion. My child is pretty big on sharing, it' part of who he is. If you cared so much about allergies maybe you shouldn't have vaccinated your kid? :colbert:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Thread challenge (mostly to make me less depressed): come up with the worst possible thing to send your kid to school/daycare with, then defend it as a parent.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

thrakkorzog posted:

Uh in Washington state the religious exemption requires exactly as much paperwork as the personal belief exemption, it is the exact same form, I literally posted the paperwork you need to fill out. The claim that your religion forbids all sorts of medical intervention actually requires less paperwork because you don't have to go to a doctor.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

twodot posted:

Uh in Washington state the religious exemption requires exactly as much paperwork as the personal belief exemption, it is the exact same form, I literally posted the paperwork you need to fill out. The claim that your religion forbids all sorts of medical intervention actually requires less paperwork because you don't have to go to a doctor.

the key word you were missing in that post was "usually". Washington state is one of the ones with a more lenient, and more abused, exemption process.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Discendo Vox posted:

Thread challenge (mostly to make me less depressed): come up with the worst possible thing to send your kid to school/daycare with, then defend it as a parent.

Umm, I'm pretty sure it's a goddamn peanut butter sandwich, the killer of killers, as mentioned above.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Discendo Vox posted:

You may say My Child has Ebola,,, but anyone in the Know knows that Ebola is a Myth made up by 'Big Pharma" to scare us all into giving them Money!. Children get fevers and bloody noses All The Time!,, It's just part of Childhood ! Those people "dieing" from "ebola" on the News? I'm sure I saw a few of Them in the Crowd,, at the boston Bombing and SandyHook!!! You know that they call that? "CRISIS ACTORS"! Its just Big Pharma trying To Squeeze More Money out of us Caring Parents!!......

I know Whats best for My Child, Not,, you !!

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

ActusRhesus posted:

Also, 5 new cases in infants at a daycare in Chicago. And again I am relieved that our state requires vaccines as part of the daycare licensing requirements absent medical exemption. gently caress, if I can't send my kid in with peanut butter, you can't send yours in with contagious diseases.

This is actually in the suburbs, and in my hometown. I actually have a facebook friend who had her child there. Looks like even though he's 8 months old, their doctor gave him the first MMR shot as a precaution. Probably only done due to the possible exposure. All of the children who aren't vaccinated were sent home, not sure for how long.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Discendo Vox posted:

The Bible. But you should send it anyway, because I came not to bring peace but a sword.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Discendo Vox posted:

I used to take a paring knife with me to primary school because I wanted to peel my apple and "safety" peelers usually just result in me peeling my fingers.

Not my fault you retards can't use a knife properly, spend some time peeling spuds and you'll get good at it. I remember being very disgruntled when I got told off for it by the dinnerlady.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Feb 6, 2015

evilbastard
Mar 6, 2003

Hair Elf

Discendo Vox posted:

[quote="Nintendo Kid"]
[snip]

What forum is this?

Mothering.com - Here is their thread "Measles Outbreak at Disneyland", or perhaps you want to peruse their forum on Vaccinations

Only registered members can see post attachments!

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

You may say My Child has Ebola,,, but anyone in the Know knows that Ebola is a Myth made up by 'Big Pharma" to scare us all into giving them Money!. Children get fevers and bloody noses All The Time!,, It's just part of Childhood ! Those people "dieing" from "ebola" on the News? I'm sure I saw a few of Them in the Crowd,, at the boston Bombing and SandyHook!!! You know that they call that? "CRISIS ACTORS"! Its just Big Pharma trying To Squeeze More Money out of us Caring Parents!!......

When Nietzsche warned against staring into the abyss too long lest it stare back at you, he was talking about things like this

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum

Discendo Vox posted:

A gun, that shoots AIDS.

(cue Love Gun by Kiss)

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
http://www.rense.com/general54/cancer-causing_vaccinesr.htm

To researchers who believe whole-heartedly that AIDS is a man-made disease, the evidence is crystal clear that the "primate ancestor virus of HIV" jumped species via contaminated vaccine programs, namely the extensive WHO-sponsored vaccine programs in sub-Saharan Africa during the 1970's, and the experimental hepatitis B vaccine (1978-1981) that was injected exclusively into gay men just prior to the outbreak of AIDS in America. (More on this later.)

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

:bravo: Well done, well done indeed. The punctuation is the icing on the incoherent middle-aged rage cake.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
That forum is... something else.

quote:

I'm frustrated also
My husband and I are also exhausted from the constant barrage of anti-vax sentiment on the radio, Internet, television, etc..
We listen to NPR every morning and lately there is a new piece every day. I was curious to see where the push is coming from so I looked into who their supporters were; I wasn't surprised to see the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation listed as well as Glaxo Smith Kline and a number of science research foundations involved in developing vaccines.

Since these pro-vax organizations are giving money to national public radio, which prides itself on unbiased and fair reporting, it isn't difficult to see how they have been influenced.

Try to tune them out and stop listening and reading the articles that make you second guess the well-researched decision that you made regarding your children's health.

Yeah, don't read anything that might make you question your "research".

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

substitute posted:

A gun, that shoots AIDS.

(cue Love Gun by Kiss)

A gun generally requires malice and intent to harm to be dangerous. Unless your kid is out to murder somebody or has no idea what a gun does the gun full of AIDS-bullets is a paperweight. Not even remotely close to measles which doesn't even require knowledge of possessing it to injure or kill.

There really aren't too many things worse than a deadly disease.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Feb 6, 2015

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Discendo Vox posted:

the One Ring.

http://cbs7.com/multimedia/article_d73fde48-aa95-11e4-9518-a3483fb15dac.html

Defense: It's not like you can just leave it at home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum

Warbadger posted:

A gun generally requires malice and intent to harm to be dangerous. Unless your kid is out to murder somebody or has no idea what a gun does the gun full of AIDS-bullets is a paperweight. Not even remotely close to measles which doesn't even require knowledge of possessing it to injure or kill.

There really aren't too many things worse than a deadly disease vaccination .

• Locked thread