Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx
This is a pretty good read for the milspergs out there. Guy talks about F-15s, F-16s and Mig-29s. With a few bits on the F-22 and F-35.

Link

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

crabcakes66 posted:

This is a pretty good read for the milspergs out there. Guy talks about F-15s, F-16s and Mig-29s. With a few bits on the F-22 and F-35.

Link

Clearly the answer is to cancel the f--35 and build f-23s.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Torpor posted:

Clearly the answer is to cancel the f--35 and build f-23s.

It would be interesting, though unlikely to happen, to see Boeing try and revive the YF-23 as an alternative to the F-35. At this point it would likely be cheaper than the F-35 too. Wasn't the YF-23 actually superior to the YF-22 in several important areas but got screwed by a last minute thrust vectoring requirement?

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

HONK HONK

MH Knights posted:

It would be interesting, though unlikely to happen, to see Boeing try and revive the YF-23 as an alternative to the F-35. At this point it would likely be cheaper than the F-35 too. Wasn't the YF-23 actually superior to the YF-22 in several important areas but got screwed by a last minute thrust vectoring requirement?

That's what I thought, the article mentions that thrust vectoring is not all that super. The f-23 also looks badass.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

A high/low mix of fighters doesn't make sense when the low component costs as much or more than the high component...

We should have bought eight or nine hundred Raptors, and spent the savings on developing a Mud Hen replacement/NGB.

And Anna Kendrick needs to rub peanut butter on my balls every night.

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.
Wonder what your take on this is:
http://nationalinterest.org/blog/the-buzz/us-navys-6th-generation-fighter-jets-will-be-slow-unstealthy-12193

Lessons learned?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

MH Knights posted:

YF23 got screwed more because Northrup had a habit of delays and cost overruns at the time, and their last fighter being designed during Vietnam. Lockheed had a better reputation.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

My take on it is that this link led me to more than an hour of military history navelgazing. Thanks!

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
I'm phone posting, so I'll come back to this more later, but something must have been lost in translation, because I think the CNO is aware that kinematic advantage is still a thing in air combat.

Party Plane Jones posted:

YF23 got screwed more because Northrup had a habit of delays and cost overruns at the time, and their last fighter being designed during Vietnam. Lockheed had a better reputation.
I believe there was also an issue with Northrop failing to properly audit its suppliers, leading to substandard and improperly sourced parts.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

HONK HONK

Jokes on the DOD then.

A more advance f16 would be kind of interesting. Probably cheaper. Well, maybe cheaper.

Torpor fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Feb 5, 2015

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

I've seen it mentioned in passing in the thread, but why is (was?) the F-111 considered a failure?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 54 minutes!

Torpor posted:

Jokes on the DOD then.

A more advance f16 would be kind of interesting. Probably cheaper. Well, maybe cheaper.

Take an F-20 and push it to the limit.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
The alternative to the F-35 wasn't the YF-23, it was this thing.

I think I see what the real problem was.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
It was too drat cute and happy for its own good.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Uh this is the YF-23

I have no idea what the hell that thing is

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

KomradeX posted:

I've seen it mentioned in passing in the thread, but why is (was?) the F-111 considered a failure?

There isn't enough power in all Christendom to make that airplane what we want!

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

I have no idea what the hell that thing is

I think we know what the YF-23 is. The losing competitor to the F-22. That fat happy fucker above is the X-32. The losing competitor to the F-35.

What someone was saying is that we should scrap the F-35 and revive the YF-23. Even though they were never competing designs.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
OK, so no one actually has a transcript of the CNO's remarks up, and the only sites talking about F/A-XX are lovely clickbait blogs. I'm going to assume that there's some context missing, because I don't think the CNO would say something quite so odd.

Let's start with speed. Fighters don't go fast to outrun missiles. One of the main roles of Naval Aviation is to defend the fleet, and to do that, fleet fighters need to be able to intercept adversary aircraft. That requires speed: if the interceptor is slower than the bandit, the intercept geometry is severely constrained; there isn't much room for error or delays in commit. (It works the other way around, too; a fast interceptor can make better intercepts.) It could be possible to make up some of the difference with bigger, faster missiles, but that rapidly becomes impractical. Being able to go high and fast also gives an interceptor a kinematic advantage: its weapons have more energy, and fly farther than those launched from lower altitude. There are a whole lot of other benefits as well, like being able to engage and disengage more easily, more powerful engines permit heavier payloads, etc.

As to stealth, yes, every aircraft has a thermal signature, but if your opponent is forced to rely on passive detection of skin friction heating of all things, I'd call that a win. The signal from that is incredibly low compared to a radar return. That's why aircraft like the F-22 are called "low observable," not invisible. They can still be seen or heard or acquired with various other sensors, but their design severely reduces the range at which they can be detected. Being able to deny the bands used in most target tracking and fighter radars is a pretty big deal, even if the game-changing early warning radar the Russians have been promising every year turns out to be more than hype.

KomradeX posted:

As a strike bomber, it did fairly well, though not without its early hiccups. (Stabilizer malfunctions killed several crews in Vietnam during an early deployment.) It could fly very low and very fast, had a good radar for the time, was able to penetrate contemporary defenses. I don't know how well it was received as an ECM platform, but the inability to carry HARM hamstrung it. As a carrier based heavy interceptor and multirole fighter? Yeah, it was a failure.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Dead Reckoning posted:

I believe there was also an issue with Northrop failing to properly audit its suppliers, leading to substandard and improperly sourced parts.

While it's true that the B-2 gets an unfair rap from the "lol billion dollar airplane" perspective because no poo poo if you cut a program's buy by 90% the per unit cost is going to skyrocket, and you of course have the whole "bleeding edge technology" thing, but even outside of all that the program was a gigantic disaster for those two reasons and more.

That was what was fresh in DoD's mind when Northrop was bidding on ATF, so it's no wonder that they gave it to Lockheed.

Dead Reckoning posted:

As a strike bomber, it did fairly well, though not without its early hiccups. (Stabilizer malfunctions killed several crews in Vietnam during an early deployment.) It could fly very low and very fast, had a good radar for the time, was able to penetrate contemporary defenses. I don't know how well it was received as an ECM platform, but the inability to carry HARM hamstrung it. As a carrier based heavy interceptor and multirole fighter? Yeah, it was a failure.

Add it to the list of planes that was extremely hamstrung by the TF30's complete shittiness, but yeah, for the most part the 'Vark was fine as a strike bomber. It's where it was supposed to be a whole bunch of other things that is a problem.

Similarly to how for all the buffoonery the F-35 (-A and -C) are going to turn out to be pretty darn good strike fighters and probably do better than alright in the SEAD/DEAD role as well. It's just lumping all the other poo poo onto them that makes them worthy of criticism (strictly from a design and performance standpoint...obviously programmatically there were all sorts of issues both in planning and execution.)

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

iyaayas01 posted:

Similarly to how for all the buffoonery the F-35 (-A and -C) are going to turn out to be pretty darn good strike fighters and probably do better than alright in the SEAD/DEAD role as well. It's just lumping all the other poo poo onto them that makes them worthy of criticism (strictly from a design and performance standpoint...obviously programmatically there were all sorts of issues both in planning and execution.)

How will the F-35 be good at any role when the airframe is fundamentally flawed, plus having limited range and max payload.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

etalian posted:

How will the F-35 be good at any role when the airframe is fundamentally flawed,
Not sure what you mean by fundamentally flawed, since it seems to fly OK.

quote:

plus having limited range and max payload.
Same could be said of the Superbug or MiG-29.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Mazz posted:

The first people. Especially those that have experience in military/commercial aviation and contracts, like you or iyaayas.
IYAAYAS hit the high points, but my beef is the program itself. Like he said, concurrency and "joint"-ness have been a dumpster fire. The thing is, plenty of people were on record of saying both of these things were terrible ideas, but they were entirely brushed aside based on little more than Lockheed's assurances. There really isn't an excuse for cutting out the prototyping step. (aka the Buy-Fly-Fix model he mentioned) I'm sure in the end it will be a serviceable fighter/bomber, (at least the A and C versions, it's not like it's an early Vought jet or something,) but merely OK is not a good standard to accept in what is going to be the cornerstone and keystone of the tactical aircraft fleet for several decades. In the end, many of its limitations could have been avoided, which is what is so frustrating about it.

quote:

I understand all that, I should clarify that I'm pretty up to date on the faults of the F-35, I'm more curious about it in direct comparison to previous programs, like TFX, LWF, or ATF. Is it further behind schedule? Has is it delivered less then those in a similar time frame? Does the program have much light of getting better or expanding roles later on like the F-16 did?
There really haven't been any "It slices, it dices, it juliennes! A multi-role aircraft for all three services and several foreign partners!" projects to compare it to. The program was crazy ambitious from the start, and unless Lockheed hit the aviation home-run of the decade, it was almost certain to fall short of what was being asked/offered. On the other hand "not as bad as the TFX program" is not a high bar to clear, and I think it'll achieve that unless the main structural spars turn out to be riddled with cracks or something.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
That's more or less what I figured. I think the short answer is just gently caress the -B.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Dead Reckoning posted:

There really haven't been any "It slices, it dices, it juliennes! A multi-role aircraft for all three services and several foreign partners!" projects to compare it to.

There was one in Europe. It exploded because of disagreement between partners (France insisted on carrier capability, Germany thought it'd compromise the design too much and also wanted a big plane) so the end result was the Eurofighter on one side and the Rafale on the other.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
Also the Tornado. Tornado, Eurofighter and Rafale are all good planes (Rafale and Eurofighter are fairly similar in some ways because Eurofighter research was re-tasked for it). But all of the stories the most incompatible partners got railroaded or dropped out. The F-35 is the story where the incompatible partner (USMC) stayed in.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
In the late 90s/early 00s there were a few flight sims with a Joint Strike Fighter, usually as a sequel to or in conjunction with an F-22. How close were any of these to what we eventually got?

For that matter, are there any recent attempts at simming the F-35?

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

In the late 90s/early 00s there were a few flight sims with a Joint Strike Fighter, usually as a sequel to or in conjunction with an F-22. How close were any of these to what we eventually got?

Broken rollercoasters, I guess.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

gradenko_2000 posted:

It's pretty hard to sim something that is largely top secret compartmentalized information without going to federal prison. So you'll only see those planes in arcade style games.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

BF3/4? :haw:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

Kinda.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Thanks for the input about the F-111, was very informative.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
An F-35 flight simulator is gonna be a pain in the rear end to develop, and play, probably.
Has anyone made an F-35 development simulator yet? Like Military Development Tycoon or AerospaceBiz or something.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Dead Reckoning posted:

Let's start with speed. Fighters don't go fast to outrun missiles.

But they do? Outrunning the fuel tank/energy on the missile is a very common defensive tactic at long range.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Cat Mattress posted:

There was one in Europe. It exploded because of disagreement between partners (France insisted on carrier capability, Germany thought it'd compromise the design too much and also wanted a big plane) so the end result was the Eurofighter on one side and the Rafale on the other.

Disinterested posted:

Also the Tornado. Tornado, Eurofighter and Rafale are all good planes (Rafale and Eurofighter are fairly similar in some ways because Eurofighter research was re-tasked for it). But all of the stories the most incompatible partners got railroaded or dropped out. The F-35 is the story where the incompatible partner (USMC) stayed in.
Same with the TFX.

I suppose I should have caveated that with, "and were pushed this far into production in their original form."

Rockopolis posted:

Like Military Development Tycoon or AerospaceBiz or something.
Payday: The Heist

Jarmak posted:

But they do? Outrunning the fuel tank/energy on the missile is a very common defensive tactic at long range.
Not really... It's not something for public discussion, but defeating a missile shot is a lot more complex than "outrun it."

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Feb 6, 2015

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Broadly speaking, I'd say the argument that there's diminishing returns for demanding ever faster aircraft is a pretty fair one. At a certain point, the costs and compromises needed to be on the bleeding edge seem rather misguided.

Jarmak posted:

That's a use for the speed, but outrunning missiles isn't the primary or even secondary justification for supercruise capability.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Feb 6, 2015

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Kaal posted:

That's a use for the speed, but outrunning missiles isn't the primary or even secondary justification for supercruise capability. I'd say the argument that there's diminishing returns for demanding ever faster aircraft is a pretty fair one.

On the other hand, the returns don't diminish as fast as the argument for ever slower aircraft.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Dead Reckoning posted:

Not really... It's not something for public discussion, but defeating a missile shot is a lot more complex than "outrun it."

Of course, but you would never say you didn't need your racecar to be fast because there's more to racing than just "going faster".

Kaal posted:

Broadly speaking, I'd say the argument that there's diminishing returns for demanding ever faster aircraft is a pretty fair one. At a certain point, the costs and compromises needed to be on the bleeding edge seem rather misguided.

That's a use for the speed, but outrunning missiles isn't the primary or even secondary justification for supercruise capability.

Fair enough

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Is there a single video anywhere in the world that shows the F35 taking off, flying, shooting its gun, and landing?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Since gun integration isn't until 2016, I'm gonna go with "no."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Dead Reckoning posted:

Didn't they source parts from RadioShack to meet deadlines for the MX missiles? (Also whoops, having missiles without working guidance units)

• Locked thread