Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Gary McCoy secretly supports this initiative, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

fool_of_sound posted:

Gary McCoy secretly supports this initiative, of course.

It's the very definition of concern trolling. Because in his reactionary mind, he must defend anything that is seen as "conservative", he thinks that liberals are the same way. So we are in a moral conundrum because we love black people so much for some reason, that we now have to be anti-abortion! We are well owned. McCoy doesn't give a poo poo about black people.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.

It's weird how one of these is striking and the other is annoying. And by weird I mean expected.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
This just came up in my tumbr feed (slightly nsfw)

quote:

Over 150 years ago a group of anonymous Japanese artists created a 34-ft long scroll titled He-Gassen (屁合戦), literally: “Fart Battle.” It was created during the Edo Period (probably around 1846) in Japan and consists of roughly 15 different scenes depicting people directing their farts at other people or objects.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

e: ^^^^ lotta treason going on in this post ^^^

zoux posted:

It's the very definition of concern trolling. Because in his reactionary mind, he must defend anything that is seen as "conservative", he thinks that liberals are the same way. So we are in a moral conundrum because we love black people so much for some reason, that we now have to be anti-abortion! We are well owned. McCoy doesn't give a poo poo about black people.

The logic doesn't make sense unless you are already pro-life though :confused:

Like, from a pro-choice perspective the talking point just means that black women get a lot of abortions. Okay, if we want to support the ability of black women to plan their families in a way that makes sense for their lives, keeping abortions safe and legal is the pro-black stance to have. It only becomes "MILLIONS OF BLACK BABIES KILLED" if you are already rabidly pro-life and see early-term abortions as first-degree murder. It will accomplish nothing except making us mad, which is of course his #1 goal.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Saint Sputnik posted:

Lmao, this is peak political cartooning.
Farts will never not be funny :crossarms:

e: Do you mind if I copy your post and post it on byob? I think they'd enjoy this.
e2: or come post it yourself, joooin ussss :byob1:

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Nobunaga, you treasonous dog!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

loquacius posted:

Like, from a pro-choice perspective the talking point just means that black women get a lot of abortions. Okay, if we want to support the ability of black women to plan their families in a way that makes sense for their lives, keeping abortions safe and legal is the pro-black stance to have. It only becomes "MILLIONS OF BLACK BABIES KILLED" if you are already rabidly pro-life and see early-term abortions as first-degree murder. It will accomplish nothing except making us mad, which is of course his #1 goal.

Haha. Logic.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I'm trying to decide whether access to abortion is helpful or harmful to black women.

I think I'll look at cartoons depicting black people as violent thieving thugs who are a menace to society, drawn as racial caricatures with huge purple lips, covered by only the thinnest veil of plausible deniability (ie not actually saying the n-word), and see what he has to say on the matter.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Saint Sputnik posted:

I'm holding judgment until someone makes a Loss edit out of it.

:colbert:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

loquacius posted:

Yeah, but from a race war perspective how are they supposed to secure a future for their children without keeping themselves from being outbred and consequently destroyed as a race?

It's actually internally consistent presented that way.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Saint Sputnik posted:

I didn't know Cutbu was so old!

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Gary's position is perfectly consistent with a "protect the fetus; ignore the child" view

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Y'all keep expecting these arguments to adhere to logic or principles. Every one of these people starts from a conclusion (abortion bad, Obama bad, Muslims bad) and will happily adjust their logic to meet it. Or not even bother with an argument and just treat the conclusion as self-evident. You'll learn this someday.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

zakharov posted:

You'll learn this someday.
We never learn; we never progress

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Ah, the old conservative standby. "Sure our guy was an incompetent crook, but all politicians are. That's why we should destroy the government."

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Stultus Maximus posted:

Ah, the old conservative standby. "Sure our guy was an incompetent crook, but all politicians are. That's why we should destroy the government."

When are they getting to the fireworks factory are they going to make an "Obama eats dogs" joke?

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

JT Jag posted:

Well it was a reaction to Muslim conquest in what was, at the time, considered Europe. It's just that the part of "Europe" that the First Crusade was a reaction to was Anatolia (an integral part of Byzantine Greece) being taken over by the Seljuks, not anything the Umayyads did.

If Anatolia is part of Europe why did the Romans call it Asia minor? :colbert:

I'm just saying that Muir's narrative is that the Charles Martel stopped the Umayyad advance at the battle of Tours, so 200+ years later the Carolingian dynasty responded to the Muslims by marauding their way down the coast of the mediterranean. A flawless theory.

Edible Hat
Jul 23, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Saint Sputnik posted:

Divine wind

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Stultus Maximus posted:

Bush's policies led to endless war and fiscal collapse, so obviously he was just like the Democrats. What am I to do?

Oh, you're from the Tea Party, you say? And you want to cut taxes, abolish all regulation of corporations, and invade Iraq again? Finally brand-new policies I can really believe in!

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.

Internet Webguy posted:

THIS
IS

A
BAD
DRAWING

Ted is way into Spec Ops The Line

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

"I dunno, it's a political cartoon, we just draw them like that. Uncle Sam's got a beard, dog crates go on the car roof. I'm sure there was a reason at one point."

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Is it 2012 again? Can we get some "You didn't build that." Cartoons?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

eat more chicken

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

corn in the bible posted:

eat more chicken

It's easy to spot a racist looking to get his kicks when he doesn't even bother to look up how the terrorist were dressed. Nope, he heard the word muslim and went straight to the dirty disheveled arab stereotype. I'm surprised he refrained from the stinklines.

54.4 crowns
Apr 7, 2011

To think before you speak is like wiping your arse before you shit.

Political Whores posted:

I've got a question Muir. The Umayyad Caliphate is the only Islamic Empire before the Ottomans to conquer territory in Europe, in Iberia. They pretty much stop expanding by around 750. The first crusade is in 1096, and focuses exclusively on retaking the holy land, and pillaging and killing as much as possible, including indiscriminately slaughtering the population of Jerusalem and burning down the synagogue of the Jewish community with them still inside. Please explain to me why, if the crusades were a reaction to Muslim conquest in Europe, they didn't focus on Iberia at all?

Because it wasn't.

Constantinople sent a diplomatic missive to the pope requesting aid against the usual fief fighting down there..that letter was collecting dust until it was read and someone had a bright idea.

I belive the real reasons the crusades happened was that the pope wanted a higher call to all the Europeans taht warred and killed europeans

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

54.4 crowns posted:

Because it wasn't.

Constantinople sent a diplomatic missive to the pope requesting aid against the usual fief fighting down there..that letter was collecting dust until it was read and someone had a bright idea.

I belive the real reasons the crusades happened was that the pope wanted a higher call to all the Europeans taht warred and killed europeans

Urban II was definitely looking for something to both mute local conflict in Europe and, hopefully, bolster the Church's authority over the often-warring petty principalities by uniting them in a Church-led military pilgrimage of sorts. He in no way anticipated just how popular the call to Crusade turned out to be, nor how little control he (or the Emperor, for that matter) would have over the Crusaders once they got moving.

54.4 crowns
Apr 7, 2011

To think before you speak is like wiping your arse before you shit.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Internet Webguy posted:

If NBC represents truth, what is the giant fart cloud supposed to represent?

THIS
IS

A
BAD
DRAWING

Seriously, Ted, you have heard the term propaganda, right? Nobody in the media is trying to drum up support for the US being more aggressive against itself.

Wait, Americans never used white phosphorous did they? I mean, I figured they've sold it to Israel who has used it pretty indiscriminately, but this is some like Art Bell conspiracy stuff right?

Nyarai
Jul 19, 2012

Jenn here.
Quick search indicates yes.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4483690.stm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_phosphorus_use_in_Iraq

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Urban II was definitely looking for something to both mute local conflict in Europe and, hopefully, bolster the Church's authority over the often-warring petty principalities by uniting them in a Church-led military pilgrimage of sorts. He in no way anticipated just how popular the call to Crusade turned out to be, nor how little control he (or the Emperor, for that matter) would have over the Crusaders once they got moving.

He probably also didn't anticipated how incompetent the crusaders would turn out to be . The Knights Templar for example was arguable better at providing financial services than fighting muslims.
I wonder what Muir would think of Frederick II, the most successful crusader of them all.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Alhazred posted:

He probably also didn't anticipated how incompetent the crusaders would turn out to be . The Knights Templar for example was arguable better at providing financial services than fighting muslims.
I wonder what Muir would think of Frederick II, the most successful crusader of them all.

Credit where credit is due (to bloodthirsty, occasionally cannibalistic maniacs): Most everyone was surprised as hell that the First Crusade was as successful as it was, and no one was expecting they'd actually get anywhere near Jerusalem, let alone take it.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

He farted a hole in the wall

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Shouldn't be surprised but Jesus Christ America is the bad guy

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

WarpedNaba posted:

Tbf the wall is probably made of paper

Still though

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

loquacius posted:

Tbf the wall is probably made of paper

Still though

Man, can you fart a hole into paper? Cause I know I can't. That is a super human sphincter, paper or not.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

beepsandboops posted:

A quick reminder that the horse-like creature in McCoy's cartoon is supposed to be this woman:

I'm amazed that McCoy didn't draw her as grotesquely fat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

The quote from Mom just makes this, I love Bad Reporter it is consistently chuckle-worthy. I think more so than anything else in this thread.

• Locked thread