Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

ChiTownEddie posted:

If I am looking for a mirrorless camera, for having on me as much as possible (small size is ++), and I know that if I got a normal mirrorless I'd just toss a prime on there...I should just get a x100 series camera, right? Used x100s? I would describe my photography interest as "General walking around".

powderific posted:

I have a GR myself and picked it after renting both it, the LX100, and the X100s—it's just super nice having a walk around camera that's P&S sized but has a great sensor/lens.

I think that last one is the best idea. Rent several and see what you like best. I have an X100 as well and I love it to death, but it's not for everyone. Some people want to like, zoom, occasionally, for instance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

toadee posted:

I think that last one is the best idea. Rent several and see what you like best. I have an X100 as well and I love it to death, but it's not for everyone. Some people want to like, zoom, occasionally, for instance.

Renting is a good call. Grab two of em for a weekend and see how it works out. Thanks guys.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Wild EEPROM posted:

Keh is probably the best place. The prices are similar to ebay, but keh's bgn grade is what most people would consider "good"

Plus they have great support if you need it.

Keh definitely seems good for used, but looking at new cameras it seems only Ebay has them below list price.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

ChiTownEddie posted:

Renting is a good call. Grab two of em for a weekend and see how it works out. Thanks guys.

Don't rule out the X-E2 and 27mm f/2.8 if you would prefer a narrower field of view and might want other lenses some day.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

Lhet posted:

Keh definitely seems good for used, but looking at new cameras it seems only Ebay has them below list price.

Don't forget that there's a ton of grey market stuff out there, which basically means no warranty (canon) or that they won't touch it even if you throw money at them (nikon). Or refurbished, so a 30 or 90 day warranty.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Wild EEPROM posted:

Don't forget that there's a ton of grey market stuff out there, which basically means no warranty (canon) or that they won't touch it even if you throw money at them (nikon). Or refurbished, so a 30 or 90 day warranty.
That's true, but there are also situations where a camera can't be advertised below list, but they can somehow get away with listing it on ebay. This seems to be that case (though I could be completely wrong).

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Lhet posted:

Never buy new unless you absolutely have to have a valid warranty and don't mind spending extra, and never buy any "new" camera on eBay that seems cheaper than other new ones.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Lhet posted:

That's true, but there are also situations where a camera can't be advertised below list, but they can somehow get away with listing it on ebay. This seems to be that case (though I could be completely wrong).

Doesn't look like it. New in box doesn't mean it's from the right region for warranty, and also some manufacturers only warranty the original owner. Plus, the seller doesn't specifically say it's not grey market and that it has a manufacturer's warranty, so knowing ebay, it's grey market without a manufacturer warranty. Having the papers doesn't mean it has the warranty.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Elliotw2 posted:

Never buy new unless you absolutely have to have a valid warranty and don't mind spending extra, and never buy any "new" camera on eBay that seems cheaper than other new ones.

Once you buy 3-4 new cameras, and then buy your first used camera, it's like a light bulb turning on "huh, why didn't I buy those other ones used?"

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Went to the local camera store and got to handle the Panasonic LX100, Sony RX100 III, Sony A600, and Olympus E-P7. Both Sonys had some significant interface annoyances: there's a noticable delay after rotating the shutter speed dial before the interface reflects the change, and trying to adjust shutter speed too quickly after taking a photo will take you into review mode. I figure if I found those instantly there are probably multiple other annoyances going on, so gonna cross those off. The LX100 was fantastic in pretty much every way; though it is still a touch more than I was looking to spend for a backpack camera. The E-P7 wasn't bad. A little awkward to adjust the aperture, and the kit lens is too big, but it seems to do everything I'm asking for.
As far as used, I'm certainly open to the idea, but both of those seem too new to really be floating around for sale.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

There are loads of cameras for sale that are just a tad older but significantly cheaper.

RX100 mk I or II, older micro 4/3 cameras, Sony NEX 3/5/6/7, etc.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Wild EEPROM posted:

There are loads of cameras for sale that are just a tad older but significantly cheaper.

RX100 mk I or II, older micro 4/3 cameras, Sony NEX 3/5/6/7, etc.

I don't like Sony's interfaces from the ones I've held. I might consider an Olympus E-M5 though, anybody know how it stands up to the E-PL7?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Bigger, more features, more durable.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lhet posted:

I don't like Sony's interfaces from the ones I've held. I might consider an Olympus E-M5 though, anybody know how it stands up to the E-PL7?

If I am going m43, I would pick an used EM5.

LX100 is kind of too thick.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

I'm seeing an E-M5 body (w/ 2 batteries) on Craigslist for $400; so might check it out. Is that a solid price?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

If you do end up going with m4/3, see if you can find a good deal on the Panny 20mm f1.7 lens. Doesn't have to be the mk2, the original is still great. For compactness it's the way to go.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Lhet posted:

I'm seeing an E-M5 body (w/ 2 batteries) on Craigslist for $400; so might check it out. Is that a solid price?

$400 lines up pretty well with used prices on amazon (~440 shipped to get one through keh or adorama). If you check it out you can see how used it really is by checking the shutter count, it's hitting away in a test menu. Basically punch the konami code in to get to it.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/42546968

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Mr. Despair posted:

$400 lines up pretty well with used prices on amazon (~440 shipped to get one through keh or adorama). If you check it out you can see how used it really is by checking the shutter count, it's hitting away in a test menu. Basically punch the konami code in to get to it.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/42546968

Does shutter count matter on a mirrorless? I thought it was relevant on SLR because of the mechanical prism mechanism, but that mirrorless shutters were engineered to be a sort of "life of the camera" sort of thing.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Linedance posted:

Does shutter count matter on a mirrorless? I thought it was relevant on SLR because of the mechanical prism mechanism, but that mirrorless shutters were engineered to be a sort of "life of the camera" sort of thing.

nah, shutters can still fail (and the shutter tends to actuate MORE on a mirrorless, since it has to move several times for each picture due to the live view stuff). On my e-m5 for example I've taken ~17826 pictures (at least I've pressed the shutter that many times), but the shutter has actuated 31523 times. Think it's rated for ~100,000 actuations, but I can't find anything official on that.

Mostly it's a way to see if the camera's been used hard or if it's been babied and sat in a closet the whole time.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
Fujfilm is coming out with the only lens a Fuji X shooter needs:
http://petapixel.com/2015/02/06/fujis-new-xm-fl-x-mount-body-cap-lens-built-photo-filters/

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

If it's $100, I'll take one just because.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

some day fuji will catch up with olympus

some day

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Mr. Despair posted:

It's apparently trash if there's any movement at all in the scene, but seems to work as advertised if you have a perfectly still scene. http://robinwong.blogspot.it/2015/02/olympus-om-d-e-m5-mark-ii-review.html has some good examples at the end.

Will sony implement this?

100mp+ within a year for landscapes? Best part is the lens doesnt need to resolve anywhere near 100mp. Very interesting stuff.

JSW2
Apr 26, 2008
Been playing around with my X100S for a couple weeks now, mostly using the in camera raw editor to make changes. But now I'd like to try more advanced editing. Is it better to go for the Capture One subscription, or is the Lightroom/Photoshop subscription the better deal? No prior experience with either.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

JSW2 posted:

Been playing around with my X100S for a couple weeks now, mostly using the in camera raw editor to make changes. But now I'd like to try more advanced editing. Is it better to go for the Capture One subscription, or is the Lightroom/Photoshop subscription the better deal? No prior experience with either.

In my opinion, I don't believe subscription based software is worth it unless you are a power user and processing a lot of photos every month for ever, and regularly upgrade your workstation and require regular software version updates to keep current.
You'd be better served with Lightroom 5 and/or PS elements/last version of non-subscripiton PS, or some other non-subscripiton editing software if you don't fall into the above category.

Sharizard
Jun 15, 2009

On the other end of the opinion spectrum, I think that subscription based software (especially in the case of Adobe's Photography bundle) is worth it. I used to be anti-CC until the photographer's bundle came out, and now I've grown to appreciate the deal Adobe threw out there. It'd be cool to see them create other CC bundles, too.

Look at it this way:

You get access to Photoshop and Lightroom for ten bucks a month. Considering that access to Photoshop used to cost way more than that, paying $120 a year / $10 a month for both pieces of software is a deal to me. Though if you still want Lightroom free of the subscription bind, you can still buy it as a separate, non-subscription purchase.

You always get the latest and greatest. Why would you not want the latest and greatest PS / LR available? Again, it is only ten bucks a month. Also, Lightroom Mobile is pretty neat.

If you're strapped for cash, think of it as just giving up two coffees / a fast food meal a month. Lower up front cost, you can budget for this monthly if needed. Also consider this: a lot of folks already have subscriptions to Netflix and other services. Why feel weird about a subscription to tools you find useful for your profession / hobby?

I just think that CC makes so much sense, and I find it kind of strange that people are still hesitant about it. On the other hand, I understand that owning software is a practical thing to some people.

Edit: Also, from this page (https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/faq.html):

quote:

Do Creative Cloud members have access to previous versions of Creative Cloud apps?
Yes, you can install previous archived versions of the apps from Creative Cloud on your desktop, as well as from the Creative Cloud Desktop Apps page. Archived versions are provided “as is” and are not updated to work with the latest hardware and software platforms.

Currently, the CS6 and CC releases are archived and available. In some cases, more than one CC version of an app is archived and available.

Though it is unsaid if you can use it without having to have your own license or if it'll just work with your creative cloud subscription. I'm trying it out right now by installing the archived CS 6.

Sharizard fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Feb 8, 2015

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

JSW2 posted:

At least with lightroom you can download it and use it for 30 days before paying, so you can see if you like it. Not sure if Capture One has the same sort of demo, but hopefully it does so you can try both.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Sharizard posted:

On the other end of the opinion spectrum, I think that subscription based software (especially in the case of Adobe's Photography bundle) is worth it. I used to be anti-CC until the photographer's bundle came out, and now I've grown to appreciate the deal Adobe threw out there. It'd be cool to see them create other CC bundles, too.

Look at it this way:

You get access to Photoshop and Lightroom for ten bucks a month. Considering that access to Photoshop used to cost way more than that, paying $120 a year / $10 a month for both pieces of software is a deal to me. Though if you still want Lightroom free of the subscription bind, you can still buy it as a separate, non-subscription purchase.

You always get the latest and greatest. Why would you not want the latest and greatest PS / LR available? Again, it is only ten bucks a month. Also, Lightroom Mobile is pretty neat.

If you're strapped for cash, think of it as just giving up two coffees / a fast food meal a month. Lower up front cost, you can budget for this monthly if needed. Also consider this: a lot of folks already have subscriptions to Netflix and other services. Why feel weird about a subscription to tools you find useful for your profession / hobby?

I just think that CC makes so much sense, and I find it kind of strange that people are still hesitant about it. On the other hand, I understand that owning software is an empowering and practical thing to some people.

Those are all valid points, and if it's a serious hobby or professional interest, I wouldn't question it. The issues I have with the model is it isn't flexible. A pay-as-you-go option would go a long way toward making it more appealing, as well as making it easier to license on more devices. Leasing a car makes sense for a lot of people too, but I still prefer to buy used for cash and save money. :iiaca:

E- reading their FAQ, it seems they've done a lot more to allay some of the concerns I had since the last time I looked into it.

I get what you're saying with Netflix, etc., but with those I can stop paying whenever I like, and start up again whenever I like. CC only sells a yearly subscription (paid monthly or in advance).

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Feb 8, 2015

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Capture one has a thing where you can get the previous version (8) for absolutely free.
Lightroom has a free trial.

I suggest using both and seeing which you like.
If you plan on sticking with this for a long time and you like Lightroom, it may be worth it to buy it outright (iirc it is $150, or $10/month if you get the creative cloud bunduru)

Sharizard
Jun 15, 2009

Linedance posted:

I get what you're saying with Netflix, etc., but with those I can stop paying whenever I like, and start up again whenever I like. CC only sells a yearly subscription (paid monthly or in advance).

You're right about it being not very flexible. Can't argue with that. Hopefully one day they'll be a bit more consumer friendly when it comes to payments.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Buy an old copy of photoshop on ebay.

Photoshop is not designed for casual use. IMO if you can't commit to memorize the most common command keyboard shortcuts, you might as well use a simpler software.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
You can download a copy of CS2 from Adobe. It's a "promise you'll only use it if you have a valid licence" version. People being the honest creatures they all, nobody without a licence would ever download it...

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
If you only want Lightroom, CC is not a great deal. Major LR versions come or infrequently enough that you end up paying significantly more for CC than buying new stand alone versions whenever they are released. Especially if you buy into LR when it is on sale. I'm at the point where I would have paid over twice as much for LR5 if I had gone CC rather than standalone.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Splinter posted:

If you only want Lightroom, CC is not a great deal. Major LR versions come or infrequently enough that you end up paying significantly more for CC than buying new stand alone versions whenever they are released. Especially if you buy into LR when it is on sale. I'm at the point where I would have paid over twice as much for LR5 if I had gone CC rather than standalone.

Yeah, echoing this, I've had Lightroom since version 1 and I'm thrilled I didn't jump on CC.

Not to mention the fact that you have to assume Adobe has this number in mind where they're like "once this many people sign up for CC then we can up the subscription from $10/month to $15/month or $20/month.

That's how they're sure to operate, they're a publicly traded company that is beholden to their shareholders requests, the easiest way to make more money once they have people committed to CC is just to up the subscription rate.

I don't feel like buying into that model until there is absolutely no other choice.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

$10 a month probably isn't a terrible fee for a good product, but I'm never signing up for a subscription service. I hate the idea of having to owe someone every month. I'm probably odd man out but whatever...

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Ropes4u posted:

$10 a month probably isn't a terrible fee for a good product, but I'm never signing up for a subscription service. I hate the idea of having to owe someone every month. I'm probably odd man out but whatever...

When they had a year subscription card on sale back in December I bought it. $100 or so for a year and you can photoshop plus lightroom and lightroom mobile access. Seemed worth trying out.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
This is basically cable company bundle scheme. They will alway put the only software you actually need in the next tier. Next thing you know you will be buying Adobe triple play with Photoshop, Dreamweaver, inDesign, After Effect and Adobe Acrobat, Adobe Panorama Master, Adobe Color Correct Ninja, Adobe My Camera lens Inventory Manager for 19.99 a month. Oh did I mention you get three month of Cinemax for free?!

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

I would have to add that if I were a professional it might not be a bad plan. But I take family : hobby photos so ...

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

There are also loads of deals where you can buy a lovely printer bundled with lightroom for the price of lightroom itself (or sometimes even lower), and then you unload the printer onto a poor hapless fool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

whatever7 posted:

This is basically cable company bundle scheme. They will alway put the only software you actually need in the next tier. Next thing you know you will be buying Adobe triple play with Photoshop, Dreamweaver, inDesign, After Effect and Adobe Acrobat, Adobe Panorama Master, Adobe Color Correct Ninja, Adobe My Camera lens Inventory Manager for 19.99 a month. Oh did I mention you get three month of Cinemax for free?!

$39.99 for the first 3 months!
monthly fee increases to $69.99 after three month period
24 month minimum contract
cancellations will be billed for all months remaining in contract at full price