Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

1500quidporsche posted:

I've got zero 4x4 knowledge, but wouldn't it just be easier to remove the axles and not risk locking up your front axle?

Yes. You'd have to separate the outer CV cups from the shafts and reinstall them with the axle nut to prevent the unit bearing from falling apart (the torque on the axle nut is the only thing keeping the inner and outer bearing races held onto the hub flange, other than a fairly mild pressfit) but otherwise that's a solid plan. And in fact is what I would do if I was faced with this problem and had to still drive it.

I'm betting there is a crack in the transfer case housing as well, though. Most transfer cases don't like 3 feet of driveshaft flailing around wildly and smashing into things while attached to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Friend just posted this one on facebook

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Data Graham posted:

You talking about the one prior to the mid-2000s retro redesign?

Because this is my '06 Roush, after 25 minutes hanging off the back bumper of that Gallardo, whose fairly hardcore driver was like :catstare:

He was talking about an 09, I was saying good thing you didn't try the 90's one. I really like the last gen ones personally, especially at US prices. A V6 track package for the price of a poverty spec Astra would suit me down to the ground.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Wild EEPROM posted:

Why is it that only Lexus has managed to make cars that are both good at crash protection and have any form of visibility these days?

You can sit in a new IS and still expect to see out of the rear passenger side window, And it gets 5 star whatever ratings.

Subaru has huge windows.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

InitialDave posted:

Yeah, my Zoe has those as well.

How do you like the Zoe?

Had been thinking about one but the lack of a normal three pin socket charge option would remove the option of charging at work.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

FogHelmut posted:

Subaru has huge windows.

VW still knows how to make proper greenhouses too. It's mostly just American cars that have decided to go with the tank slits.

Only real blindspot on my Golf is the C pillar, and once I got my mirrors set right, it's not even that bad.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
It's because driving in the United States is a truly terrifying experience and you really want as much sheet metal between you and everyone else as possible.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

ExplodingSims posted:

But that's like...work...man. I'm guessing the dude drives the thing like 4 times a year to plow snow, so he probably wants to put 0 time or money into it.

Those of y'all who live where it snows all the time have some interesting priorities.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

revmoo posted:

It's because driving in the United States is a truly terrifying experience and you really want as much sheet metal between you and everyone else as possible.

Ford thought this would be the perfect city car.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_SYNus

Yes, it's a bank vault on wheels.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

An easy way to tell if you hosed up naming a thing is if the wiki article's first paragraph is an explanation of the pronunciation.

If a car named that actually hit the streets I'd make endless booger jokes.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Uthor posted:

Ford thought this would be the perfect city car.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_SYNus

Yes, it's a bank vault on wheels.

I kinda like it, but I like the Flex too, so I'm not to be trusted.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
They should have gone with the Ford Knox.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Oh yes, "sinuous" is one of the first words that comes to mind when looking at that thing

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Saga posted:

How do you like the Zoe?

Had been thinking about one but the lack of a normal three pin socket charge option would remove the option of charging at work.
I find it's perfect for what I need, commuting to work and things like that. I love being able to preheat the car on a timer so it's all fe-iced and warm when I come out to leave for work int he morning. In general, it's a really good Clio-esque hatchback, with the addition of being very quiet and smooth. Definitely go have a test drive of one.

There is a 3-pin plug cable available, but it costs about £500 (the aftermarket ones cost about the same).

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

veedubfreak posted:

VW still knows how to make proper greenhouses too. It's mostly just American cars that have decided to go with the tank slits.

Only real blindspot on my Golf is the C pillar, and once I got my mirrors set right, it's not even that bad.

VW also likes to put big fuckoff headrests on all the seats, so I am still not quite used to trying to look out the back and have 50% of the view covered with those.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

veedubfreak posted:

They should have gone with the Ford Knox.
Agreed, they totally dropped the ball on that.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

AlternateAccount posted:

VW also likes to put big fuckoff headrests on all the seats, so I am still not quite used to trying to look out the back and have 50% of the view covered with those.

Don't forget that they designed the rear headrests on my jetta sportwagen to not be removable, making it a total bitch to fold the rear seats flat.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Grandmas car wouldnt start. I had a look, timing belt stripped, welp. Hours later:

Ok, it's out. Rockers arms and cams are out to get more room to get to the head bolts. Yes, it has DOHC and rockers. Yes, that is metal shavings everywhere.

And yes, all the valves, ALL the valves are bent and stuck open because of it. How does that even happen?

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
I apparently ran something through the snowblower that I wasn't supposed to.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

BraveUlysses posted:

Don't forget that they designed the rear headrests on my jetta sportwagen to not be removable, making it a total bitch to fold the rear seats flat.

Do they flip or what? I can remove them on my golf, but then again the rear seats will fold down even without removing the headrests. I constantly carry computer parts and monitors in mine, so the rear seats stay down most of the time.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
I'm surprised we even have windows at all at this point, everyone I see is staring at their crotch cellphone instead of not trying to kill me.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The PT Cruiser’s tiny rear window is no accident. Chrysler’s consultant, anthropologist Clotaire Rapaille, told them that large windows make people feel exposed and vulnerable. That wouldn’t do, so the PT Cruiser got a window the size of a peephole.

This is presented in marketing circles as a success story.

e: citation

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Feb 6, 2015

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Lightbulb Out posted:

I apparently ran something through the snowblower that I wasn't supposed to.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

veedubfreak posted:

Do they flip or what? I can remove them on my golf, but then again the rear seats will fold down even without removing the headrests. I constantly carry computer parts and monitors in mine, so the rear seats stay down most of the time.

Nope, you can modify them to remove a pin which prevents them from being removed.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Platystemon posted:

The PT Cruiser’s tiny rear window is no accident. Chrysler’s consultant, anthropologist Clotaire Rapaille, told them that large windows make people feel exposed and vulnerable. That wouldn’t do, so the PT Cruiser got a window the size of a peephole.

From the citation:

quote:

The general sentiment was that the participants wanted more of a sport-utility vehicle. "It's a jungle out there," says Rapaille, recalling the message. "It's Mad Max. People want to kill me, rape me." The consultant's message to the designers: "Give me a big thing like a tank."

So the designers made the PT Cruiser look tougher. They bulked up the fenders, giving the car a "kind of bulldog stance from the rear," says Nesbitt, the designer. And they made the rear window smaller, increasing the amount of sheet metal in the hatch to make it look stronger.

The 'us' in SYNus is for "Urban Sanctuary"

SYNus Wiki posted:

The SYNus was designed to maximize safety, and derives its aesthetic from modern bank vaults.[citation needed] The car's windows and frame are bullet-resistant. It has no rear window, and instead displays a video feed on a large LCD monitor installed in the back of the car's interior. Also, when in "lockdown mode" steel shutters close around the front windshield, windows and the exterior lights.

The car also, as mentioned earlier, is an "Urban Sanctuary". When in "lockdown mode", the car's seats can be configured to face rearwards, to watch movies or relax in otherwise hectic city life. In this sense, the car can be used to shut out the outside world

What a bunch of pussies we are.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Platystemon posted:

Holy gently caress. This is incredible.

We should just make all economies run on marketing alone and forget about the actual products seeing as so much more effort is put into that field than the engineering side of things.

If you look at this line chart, it makes perfect sense!

It worked for Harley Davidson.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Slavvy posted:

We should just make all economies run on marketing alone and forget about the actual products seeing as so much more effort is put into that field than the engineering side of things.

This is where the american automakers failed compared to the italians. When your making a car and some judgment call has to be made the Americans will endlessly pour over some person with an arts degree's opinion. The Italians will just yell until they get their way. What was the fiat where they found the car ran better with the boot lid open so just left it that way?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Slavvy posted:

If you look at this line chart, it makes perfect sense!

It worked for Harley Davidson.

And anyone making pickup trucks.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

BraveUlysses posted:

Your doing it wrong. The headrests for the back seat in my JSW are currently sitting in the shed since they drove me crazy. They are a bitch to remove, but you just need to put a really small flathead screwdriver in the tiny hole on the side that does not have the push button and pull. Took me a while to figure out and I had to resort to actually reading the manual to figure it out.

veedubfreak posted:

If you want them to fold flat you have to flip up the bottom of the seat and then fold the back down after you removed the head rests.

BraveUlysses posted:

Nope, you can modify them to remove a pin which prevents them from being removed.

What year is yours? My 2013 does not have this issue......

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

1500quidporsche posted:

This is where the american automakers failed compared to the italians. When your making a car and some judgment call has to be made the Americans will endlessly pour over some person with an arts degree's opinion. The Italians will just yell until they get their way. What was the fiat where they found the car ran better with the boot lid open so just left it that way?

Fiat 500 Abarth.

Suffered from overheating issues, so those little metal scaffolds became part of the product. Perfection!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Negromancer posted:

Your doing it wrong. The headrests for the back seat in my JSW are currently sitting in the shed since they drove me crazy. They are a bitch to remove, but you just need to put a really small flathead screwdriver in the tiny hole on the side that does not have the push button and pull. Took me a while to figure out and I had to resort to actually reading the manual to figure it out.

If you want them to fold flat you have to flip up the bottom of the seat and then fold the back down after you removed the head rests.

What year is yours? My 2013 does not have this issue......

I didn't know about that, but this is the pin I was referencing:

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34784

you can remove the pin so that you don't need to use the screw driver to pull them out. I had it mixed up going from my memory.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

This is what happens when a Tecumseh HM100 gets starved for oil at full-tilt. My poor old Snowblower, gonna fit a Predator 13hp to it now!

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

El Jebus posted:

I'm surprised we even have windows at all at this point, everyone I see is staring at their crotch cellphone instead of not trying to kill me.

Try driving a modern Camaro. I really WANT to like that car, I think it looks cool on the outside, but holy poo poo, that thing is like a WW2 bunker inside. I swear the windows are like 4" tall in there.

ExplodingSims fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Feb 7, 2015

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!

sharkytm posted:

This is what happens when a Tecumseh HM100 gets starved for oil at full-tilt. My poor old Snowblower, gonna fit a Predator 13hp to it now!

Every small engine I've ever had that spectacularly failed on me was a techumseh. Kohler or an I/C briggs...not so much

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Guess what the Durango chose to do :shepface:

Squealing brakes :shepicide:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
uhhh. Are you loving kidding me? Inboard brakes on a goddamn Durango?

I need you to quote that thing so high it gets junked so I can inspect it more carefully in a junkyard.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
2 seperate cars. Durango wanted me to slap it back together to drive home and then an Alfa Came in for brake noise.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

Guess what the Durango chose to do :shepface:

What did the Durango chose to do???

Can I get a red circle?

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Feb 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Suicide slowly and painfully by the look.