Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Thoguh posted:

I think the TSA Precheck thing will fix itself over time. People who only fly occasionally are conditioned to taking everything out and doing the body scanners. When those first came out frequent travelers complained that vacationers didn't know what they were doing. Now security is slowly going back towards some level of sanity, and frequent travelers are once again complaining vacationers don't know what they're doing. It'll sort itself out.

It doesn't help that the TSA isn't even consistent about what PreCheck entails. At my home airport, for example, PreCheck still requires you to take out your laptop and liquids, but lets you keep your shoes on and use the metal detector. Different airports have different rules even if you get the three beeps.

I have found that smaller airports do a "Precheck Lite" where they give you a little card and make you take out laptop and liquids, but allow you to keep shoes on. Most major airports have standard precheck. I think this is due to the presence (or lack thereof) of dedicated lanes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

caberham posted:

I'm actually glad to see vacationers. The more people flying the cheaper and more accessible air travel is. Besides it's fun to see people excited by the joys of flying. It's like watching senior citizens playing with smart phones.

I just blame TSA and america for lovely security theatre.

They suck on the plane too.

I am glad that people are flying. I just want them to stick to Spirit/Southwest/Airtran/Allegiant/whateverthefuck poo poo carrier flavor of the day is.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

air- posted:

The only times I've had it not show up are when I haven't flown AA (aka outside of the US which makes sense), perhaps check if you have a place to put your known traveler ID in your FF profile! It's been very consistent for me.
Same. I don't get it when coming back from Canada, but I've never missed it on a domestic flight.

caberham posted:

I'm actually glad to see vacationers. The more people flying the cheaper and more accessible air travel is. Besides it's fun to see people excited by the joys of flying. It's like watching senior citizens playing with smart phones.

I just blame TSA and america for lovely security theatre.
Maybe I'm just jaded, but I don't really care if someone is excited for their first trip on a plane. Great, go have fun at Aunt Gertrude's, but some of us have places to be and things to do, so please get out of the way.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I have found that smaller airports do a "Precheck Lite" where they give you a little card and make you take out laptop and liquids, but allow you to keep shoes on. Most major airports have standard precheck. I think this is due to the presence (or lack thereof) of dedicated lanes.
I've gotten this a few times at small airports too, or if its REALLY early at a big airport and all the security lanes aren't open yet.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Bisty Q. posted:

Remember when the TSA had the black diamond lanes for people who knew what they were doing? :sigh:

Remember when Precheck pax were all actually precheck pax who knew what to do? Yeah, me either.

They still do. It's called "Premium Travellers". It might work great except no airport or TSA employee ever bothers to politely ask non-regular travelers to move, so it just becomes an expensive sign.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

air- posted:

The only times I've had it not show up are when I haven't flown AA (aka outside of the US which makes sense), perhaps check if you have a place to put your known traveler ID in your FF profile! It's been very consistent for me.

No, that's the TSA's policy. Having PreCheck still means you still might occasionally miss out on getting it. Having a Known Traveler number via Global Entry or PreCheck makes you get it a lot more often, but it doesn't guarantee you'll get it every time.

Which has been consistent with my experience, when I got it through Delta it was hit or miss. Once I had a KTN it is all but assured but I missed it once.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Feb 6, 2015

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

air- posted:

If you connect from an intl gateway via aa get your boarding pass reprinted once in the United States.

LHR passes for domestic connections still print tsa precheck, but the bar code won't scan correctly. Printing it stateside fixed the problem.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

sellouts posted:

If you connect from an intl gateway via aa get your boarding pass reprinted once in the United States.

LHR passes for domestic connections still print tsa precheck, but the bar code won't scan correctly. Printing it stateside fixed the problem.

Yep, have this issue with LH-issued boarding passes in Europe. Get them printed before clearing security in the US (or use the mobile version for United or other carriers that have that feature) and precheck is generally there. Since having a KTN via Global Entry, I've never missed precheck on a single trip. I also got my APEC card last week which I'm happy about. :coal:

sink the biz
Jun 13, 2002

My goodness my Guinness

DJCobol posted:

Maybe I'm just jaded, but I don't really care if someone is excited for their first trip on a plane. Great, go have fun at Aunt Gertrude's, but some of us have places to be and things to do, so please get out of the way.

Same - I try to minimize the opportunity costs of traveling and squeeze every bit of efficiency in getting to and from where I need to be. I see VBITs (Vacation Bound Infrequent Travelers) as an obstacle to overcome

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

sink the biz posted:

Same - I try to minimize the opportunity costs of traveling and squeeze every bit of efficiency in getting to and from where I need to be. I see VBITs (Vacation Bound Infrequent Travelers) as an obstacle to overcome
As much as I dislike what Southwest has done with Earlybird, their boarding process was usually pretty painless. You had the occasional idiot that didn't know when to get up and stand in line, or who would try and crash the gate, or when family boarding was, or my favorite "I'm saving these 2 rows for others in the C group!" but it wasn't that often.

However VBITs on normal non-SW airlines ruin the entire process. A lot of times the second that the gate attendant starts talking everyone gets up and goes over to the podium/doorway. Look, I get it if you are first class, or priority boarding. Get up and get in line as long as there are no obvious preboard people around. With Delta, I'm typically zone 1 so I stand up (because I'll be sitting down for the next 2-4 hours anyways, so I walk around before boarding), but I stand way off to the side until everyone in front of me is gone. It's frustrating to see the same idiots over and over again rushing the gate during first class.

"No sir/ma'am, you are zone 3, please go sit back down"

And then again during SkyPriority.

And then again during zone 1 or zone 2.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

When flying, please wear a suit and tie just like me.
Just upholding the social conntract!
Customer Pobblecharmper Plune-Lande, please identify yourself at the podium.

Continuing boarding zones: Clarmp, Clarmpet and Claempte.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

sink the biz posted:

VBITs (Vacation Bound Infrequent Travelers)

That's some pure, distilled Flyertalk poo poo right there.

P.D.B. Fishsticks
Jun 19, 2010

How in the world is 31A a preferred seat? I get that it's technically a bulkhead, but still...

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

There hasn't been a preferred seat on an MD-80 since 1996.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

They suck on the plane too.

I am glad that people are flying. I just want them to stick to Spirit/Southwest/Airtran/Allegiant/whateverthefuck poo poo carrier flavor of the day is.

At least they stick to steerage v:shobon:v

Catchy Tuna
Dec 4, 2005

DJCobol posted:

As much as I dislike what Southwest has done with Earlybird, their boarding process was usually pretty painless. You had the occasional idiot that didn't know when to get up and stand in line, or who would try and crash the gate, or when family boarding was, or my favorite "I'm saving these 2 rows for others in the C group!" but it wasn't that often.

However VBITs on normal non-SW airlines ruin the entire process. A lot of times the second that the gate attendant starts talking everyone gets up and goes over to the podium/doorway. Look, I get it if you are first class, or priority boarding. Get up and get in line as long as there are no obvious preboard people around. With Delta, I'm typically zone 1 so I stand up (because I'll be sitting down for the next 2-4 hours anyways, so I walk around before boarding), but I stand way off to the side until everyone in front of me is gone. It's frustrating to see the same idiots over and over again rushing the gate during first class.

And then again during SkyPriority.

And then again during zone 1 or zone 2.

This happens with every carrier. I used to walk right through when United would call for Platinum members or above -- regardless of what status I was -- because there's like a 10% chance the gate agents will check/care. It's literally a 0-cost potential-advantage. It will always happen.

Thoguh posted:

I think the TSA Precheck thing will fix itself over time. People who only fly occasionally are conditioned to taking everything out and doing the body scanners. When those first came out frequent travelers complained that vacationers didn't know what they were doing. Now security is slowly going back towards some level of sanity, and frequent travelers are once again complaining vacationers don't know what they're doing. It'll sort itself out.

It doesn't help that the TSA isn't even consistent about what PreCheck entails. At my home airport, for example, PreCheck still requires you to take out your laptop and liquids, but lets you keep your shoes on and use the metal detector. Different airports have different rules even if you get the three beeps.

I do a lot of travel between Canada/US, and even within Canada it's the biggest crapshoot on what's required depending on what day of the week it is. For months, you were able to get in with laptop, coats, liquids in the Nexus line. Now (as of yesterday, domestic flight) in YYZ you need to remove shoes, belts, coats, sweaters, and liquids in is still fine. Laptops needs their own tray. YYC -> YYZ is laptops out, jackets, belts, and shoes are fine. ORD precheck (2 weeks ago) seemed to be cool with laptop/liquids in, coat/belt/shoes on. LAX precheck (last month) required coat/sweater in its own bin.

You can't blame this poo poo on vacationers, I travel every other week and it's total bullshit on what's kosher and what isn't. I really wouldn't mind the Australian method of blatantly racist security, where all white people walk through freely (unless you're wearing a suit, in which case they get the dogs to sniff you -- which takes seconds).

Thanks, Obama.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Aristotle Animes posted:

The pointy end of the super 80 owns today and forever. Quiet and smooth.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

Time to play which would you rather; Mommy McMuffin with three brats in tow (literal brats, not just toddlers) that is trying to rearrange everyone from row 8 into any old seat in the back because her CHILD is in another row.

Or

Mister DYKWIA with a suiter, laptop and rollaboard that doesn't even clear the aisle and would only fit a 767 bin smashing his poo poo in an already near full bin and grousing the entire time spoiling for a fight with the FA?

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

Mom, totally. Her life looks tough and I have headphones. The DYKWIA should know better.

I had a suit tell me two weeks ago that I shouldn't be in line yet as they had just called Platinum for boarding and I clearly was not plat (I am.. it ain't that hard). gently caress those guys.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Aristotle Animes posted:

Time to play which would you rather; Mommy McMuffin with three brats in tow (literal brats, not just toddlers) that is trying to rearrange everyone from row 8 into any old seat in the back because her CHILD is in another row.

Or

Mister DYKWIA with a suiter, laptop and rollaboard that doesn't even clear the aisle and would only fit a 767 bin smashing his poo poo in an already near full bin and grousing the entire time spoiling for a fight with the FA?

To be fair, the FAA requires that children be seated with their parents. The fact that airlines always gently caress this up is not mom's fault.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Aristotle Animes posted:

Or

Deal with? The suiter, for sure. The suiter probably won't be kicking your seat, and if their bag is that big, I'll enjoy watching a flight attendant gate check it for him. I don't care for DYKWIA people at all, so hearing them whine about the flight conditions is kind of like schadenfreude for me. Kids just suck, no matter what. Now multiply that by 3? No fuckin' thanks.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I don't even care about kids 99% of the time. They're normally engrossed in a tablet and I've got headphones or earplugs on anyway. People who can't get out of their seat without using the back of mine like a catapult annoy me way more.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

Ynglaur posted:

To be fair, the FAA requires that children be seated with their parents. The fact that airlines always gently caress this up is not mom's fault.

It is when she doesnt either select a flight with seats together or call the airline to make arrangements.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Book a ticket with Expedia or without your status. Airlines don't make this easy.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

sellouts posted:

Book a ticket with Expedia

Lol

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Aristotle Animes posted:

It is when she doesnt either select a flight with seats together or call the airline to make arrangements.

I've never seen a flight with 4 seats together when booking online, even months in advance. Calling ahead is a good idea (unless its AA), but infrequent travelers will understandably assume the person at the airport will take care of it.

I don't mind kids. I don't even mind kids behaving poorly. I mind parents ignoring kids behaving poorly.

Ynglaur fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Feb 8, 2015

app
Dec 16, 2014
$$$$$$$$$

Aristotle Animes posted:

I have to disagree. Nothing better than the quiet of hearing nothing but the wind rushing over the skin of the aircraft...

TheAttackSlug
Aug 15, 2008

taco show posted:

Mom, totally. Her life looks tough and I have headphones. The DYKWIA should know better.

I had a suit tell me two weeks ago that I shouldn't be in line yet as they had just called Platinum for boarding and I clearly was not plat (I am.. it ain't that hard). gently caress those guys.

sometimes I wait until southwest calls all remaining a-list so I can look into the eyes of b1-b5 as this impudent child butts them in line

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
The real answer is fly business class. Kids can't even reach your seat with their legs!

But for me, mom any day. Just ask the kid politely not to kick? I mean yeah kids suck and whine and cry, but that's just children.

Adults should loving know better. DYWIA are the worst kind of poors

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I STOLE A PIE FROM ESTELLE GETTY
What the gently caress Delta! Removing award charts? Really? As if Skypesos weren't worthless enough.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Don't worry: I can't even check in online with Delta right now.

Delta went from having a killer iPhone app to somehow creating an embarrassingly bad Windows Phone app to making their webpage lock you out constantly if you enter a password with your email address instead of your Skymiles number (even though it says use an email address OR a Skymiles number). Having the field labelled "PIN" and a note immediately below saying "You can't use a PIN" is a nice touch as well.

Not being able to check-in online just doesn't surprise me at this point.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I STOLE A PIE FROM ESTELLE GETTY
I always have issues checking in online with Delta if it's anything but a purely domestic flight.

It works only about 25% of the time (or less) and then I can get my boarding pass before passport verification at the gate. Other times, it will let me check in but I will need to print the boarding pass at the airport (as if that makes a difference).

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Ynglaur posted:

Delta went from having a killer iPhone app to somehow creating an embarrassingly bad Windows Phone app to making their webpage lock you out constantly if you enter a password with your email address instead of your Skymiles number (even though it says use an email address OR a Skymiles number). Having the field labelled "PIN" and a note immediately below saying "You can't use a PIN" is a nice touch as well.

I think the recent issues with people getting hacked and having their FF/hotel accounts emptied has caught the airlines off guard and made them do awful things with the login process.

United also made it so you could no longer sign in with your username instead of your account number, and they did little to make this clear (although at least they DID take "username" off the box where for the last two years you could enter a username).

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

kitten smoothie posted:

I think the recent issues with people getting hacked and having their FF/hotel accounts emptied has caught the airlines off guard and made them do awful things with the login process.

United also made it so you could no longer sign in with your username instead of your account number, and they did little to make this clear (although at least they DID take "username" off the box where for the last two years you could enter a username).

This would be tolerable if Delta updated the field label. However, it's still a dumb idea: lots of systems remain perfectly secure letting people login with a dynamic username (i.e. email address, random string, whatever) over a static one (my SkyMiles number). In fact, someone having my SkyMiles number is probably worse, because they could call the Delta hotline and bullshit their way past the person on the other end of the phone. I'd rather a Bad Person had my email address.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I think the situation is that the Bad Guys have a lot of email addresses/usernames and a lot of passwords gathered from other hacked sites. Knowing they get re-used, they were bulk checking them against FF/hotel sites. Then if they got a hit, they'd go use the credentials to log in and book award tickets.

The logic on the airlines' part seems to be "well gently caress, they're bombarding us with logins using usernames, just make the usernames not work for anyone." Not defending the behavior by any stretch, I wasted quite a bit of time trying to figure out why I couldn't log in to United when I realized they disallowed username login.

What I would rather see happen than all this login tomfoolery is better verification on actions that could debit your FF account. In order to book a ticket against your miles, the airline would SMS or autodial you with a code that you enter on their website as a confirmation. Chase won't even let me log into my mortgage account without doing a verification like that, let alone take any action that could actually cost me money.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

kitten smoothie posted:

And the security issue is definitely fixed now that UA makes you use your MP number instead of a username. There's nothing bad that could happen with a four digit numerical pin alone. :rolleye:

Everytime I login and my account isn't emptied I'm witnessing a miracle.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

kitten smoothie posted:

I think the situation is that the Bad Guys have a lot of email addresses/usernames and a lot of passwords gathered from other hacked sites. Knowing they get re-used, they were bulk checking them against FF/hotel sites. Then if they got a hit, they'd go use the credentials to log in and book award tickets.

What I would rather see happen than all this login tomfoolery is better verification on actions that could debit your FF account. In order to book a ticket against your miles, the airline would SMS or autodial you with a code that you enter on their website as a confirmation. Chase won't even let me log into my mortgage account without doing a verification like that, let alone take any action that could actually cost me money.

Yeah, so when they get hacked now they have your cell number to sell to viagra spammers in Moldova and/or hand over to the NSA when they get a letter. After years of this poo poo, if people are going to be dumb about security and reuse logins and passwords they pretty much deserve what they get.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Aristotle Animes posted:

And the security issue is definitely fixed now that UA makes you use your MP number instead of a username. There's nothing bad that could happen with a four digit numerical pin alone. :rolleye:

Everytime I login and my account isn't emptied I'm witnessing a miracle.

This is so very true. I was fortunate to not get caught in UA's net of accounts that got locked due to the most recent hack, but I know people that did. It was universally a pain in the rear end to get it resolved. OTP technology exists, and UA already has most of the infrastructure including the ability to send SMS, so I'm hoping that's part of the new website that has been promised for the last two years. I understand wanting low barriers to entry for booking tickets, but recognize that this is 2015 and the expectation of security is much higher than it was ten years ago.

Or they could be like ANA who, upon requesting a password change or reset, sends you a postcard in the mail with the updated value after one of their agents makes a manual database change for you. I poo poo you not.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Midjack posted:

Yeah, so when they get hacked now they have your cell number to sell to viagra spammers in Moldova and/or hand over to the NSA when they get a letter. After years of this poo poo, if people are going to be dumb about security and reuse logins and passwords they pretty much deserve what they get.

The airline already has my cell phone number, they use it to let me bypass having to input info when I call (it just recognizes the number) and to contact me about flight delays.

At least airlines haven't gone the Hilton route and made you use a CAPTCHA every time you log in.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Thoguh posted:

The airline already has my cell phone number, they use it to let me bypass having to input info when I call (it just recognizes the number) and to contact me about flight delays.

At least airlines haven't gone the Hilton route and made you use a CAPTCHA every time you log in.

Giving them a phone number ended when I was getting updates for a flight I had taken six months previously and ended with me changing my phone number because they never could fix it. I manually check that bullshit since then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P.D.B. Fishsticks
Jun 19, 2010

And similarly, I had to step out of the boarding line this afternoon because my phone rang just as they were about to scan the electronic boarding pass, covering up the barcode with the incoming call screen.

It was American, calling me to tell me that the flight I was boarding was on time at the gate I was standing at the scanner for.

Maybe it's time to turn off phone notifications.