Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Wow, he sold out of those OHW pledges fast.

Here's hoping he hits his milestone, his Top Ten Worst Hit Song of 1976 is still one of my favorite videos he's ever done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Rebochan posted:

Here's hoping he hits his milestone, his Top Ten Worst Hit Song of 1976 is still one of my favorite videos he's ever done.

The Top 10 Worst Hit Songs of 1942

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Vicas posted:

The Top 10 Worst Hit Songs of 1942

I thought the earliest Billboard was 1946.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mraagvpeine posted:

I thought the earliest Billboard was 1946.

Billboard started publishing charts measuring record sales in 1940 (beforehand, they published charts measuring sales of sheet music), though the Hot 100 wasn't introduced until 1958.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Hooray :toot:

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und
Film Brain has put up his review of best and worst of 2014.

DStecks posted:

I made another Sonichu review, a bit on the quick and dirty side (no pun intended). Bad Reviews 15.5: KCWC Epilogue

Uh..congratulations on your signed photo!

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

Rebochan posted:

Hoping he collects first-- before he does the videos, and those 4 people drop their monthly cap to < $40.

=(

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

DStecks posted:

I made another Sonichu review, a bit on the quick and dirty side (no pun intended). Bad Reviews 15.5: KCWC Epilogue

I did like the bit about the Snowballs. Just an FYI, I'm sure Chirs-Chan was referring to this:

But, he might have been making a terrible boob joke. Who knows.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Infamous Sphere posted:

Uh..congratulations on your signed photo!

I bought it from him on eBay. Set me back 40 bucks but now I own a piece of history. :shepface:

PassTheRemote posted:

I did like the bit about the Snowballs. Just an FYI, I'm sure Chirs-Chan was referring to this:

But, he might have been making a terrible boob joke. Who knows.

That's what I'm being told. I assume they're an American thing. :shrug:

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und
Hey Dstecks, was KCWC better or worse than Chym FM?

Even if the snowballs are referring to some random snack, why did he just randomly bring them up? As far as I know there were no snacks depicted in the comic. (In Australia a snowball is/was a marshmallow thing covered in chocolate and coconut - sort of like a marshmallow lamington now that I think of it.)

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
This has likely been discussed, but is the ongoing influx of Patreon users indicative of Blip/etc simply not paying the bills, simple greed, or a mix of both?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

MisterBibs posted:

This has likely been discussed, but is the ongoing influx of Patreon users indicative of Blip/etc simply not paying the bills, simple greed, or a mix of both?
Blip was not really paying anything worthwhile.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

Well, say you want to actually make money off doing this stuff - do you really want to rely solely on ads? The payout's shaky at best and if your main site or MCN suddenly starts going down the shitter...it's not going to last. Too many horror stories of people not getting paid anything for a month, even a couple of months in some cases - a bad month like that could ruin everything. The whole "greed" thing is kind of a handwave - there's not been much so far into how Patreon has pretty much changed the game for a lot of people, particularly those who are established but not exactly on the top level. No more need to rely on ads...you're never going to see a vid like the one Linkara released asking people to let the ads play again, because ads are now secondary income compared to a more stable (ok not TOTALLY stable but still...) and larger Patreon income. Like, Todd's probably on the middle level of popularity as far as Internet reviewers go, his Patreon's been up a day and he's already nearly at $600 a video. It's interesting times...I think it's kind of revitalised "reviewing" a little recently when compared to other Internet video genres.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Infamous Sphere posted:

Hey Dstecks, was KCWC better or worse than Chym FM?

Even if the snowballs are referring to some random snack, why did he just randomly bring them up? As far as I know there were no snacks depicted in the comic. (In Australia a snowball is/was a marshmallow thing covered in chocolate and coconut - sort of like a marshmallow lamington now that I think of it.)

I don't know. It might be something significant from that trolling saga, or Chris-Chan putting random humor in his comic without understanding how random humor works.

MisterBibs posted:

From things I have heard. Blip payouts are not what they used to be. Patreon allows producers to make money from the fans themselves, not just ads. It's a more diversified business plan. It's probably more stable as well.

It also has an interesting side effect. Now that the producer is making money in addition to ad revenue, they don't have to be a part of large sites like TGWTG to survive. It's been a game changer for a number of people.

Also, http://www.thatguywiththeglasses.com/ is throwing internal server errors. It looks like CA is doing fine, it's just something is borked on the forwarding and has been for a few days.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

PassTheRemote posted:

Also, http://www.thatguywiththeglasses.com/ is throwing internal server errors. It looks like CA is doing fine, it's just something is borked on the forwarding and has been for a few days.

Forwarding was borked the second they decided to not preserve hyperlinks from tgwtg to CA. Fundamental web development 101 poo poo right there. Don't loving break stuff. For example, http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/bj/tcs should have taken me to a list of The Cinema Snob videos. It doesn't (even if the site wasn't 500ing itself).

You don't throw away 6 years worth of accumulated incoming links across social media, forums, bookmarks, etc. You don't gently caress over your own Google results by not giving the bots a nice 301to follow.

Either you make sure your link structure is 100% the same between sites, or you spend an hour or two coding a redirector to make sure people land where they were expecting to land. Given the site took 6+ years to code, an extra hour or two is nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Thought I should put in a good word for Oliver Harper, a British critic who reviews action/sci-fi/fantasy/comedy films, mainly Hollywood and mainstream cinema. He posts videos about 15-25min summarising the plot, playing clips and stills. He does a lot of research, talks about DVD/laserdisc/BD releases, discusses soundtrack releases (and sometimes related video games) and talks about promotion/studio issues. So if you ever wondered what film X was like then you could do worse than check on this guy's list to see if he's reviewed it. He is pretty low on schtick and in all his regular reviews he never appears on camera. He is very responsive to YouTube comments and friendly in general. No hint of internet douchery. He also does film commentaries you can synch while playing your own copy. I haven't used any of those so I can't comment on them.

As far as I know, he only posts stuff on YouTube. His page is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?ollyh82

E: Search on YouTube for "Oliver Harper" or "ollyh82"

Josef K. Sourdust fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Feb 8, 2015

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011
The video was removed?

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

dbzfandiego posted:

The video was removed?

I let my passive-aggressive rear end in a top hat certification lapse, but I'm trying to recertify. Do LMGTFY links still count towards my Journyman hours? I'm not sure if they were retired or not.

In any case, I Googled the name that was written in selectable text words in JKS's post, and came up with this: https://www.youtube.com/user/ollyh82

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
So uh Spoony has dipped below 5k on his Patreon. Does that mean the movie is off now?

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Tracula posted:

So uh Spoony has dipped below 5k on his Patreon. Does that mean the movie is off now?

It's probably people pulling their patreons because he is so slow at video making.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Tracula posted:

Yea now we'll NEVER get the movie!

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea now we'll NEVER get the movie!

In all fairness, the $5k reward level never promised anyone would anyways.

"[at 5k per month] I'll shift my focus to finishing my script for a feature-length movie and putting it into pre-production."

So it was 5k a month to write a script and thinking about how to shoot it.

It does kinda suck for anyone who wants the movie, but on the other hand, I am sustained by the tears of people who still believe that dontating to a crowdfund == the promise of a final product*

* unless the funding project explicitly promises a final product **. ie: Phelous $300/vid "I'll guarantee Halloweenie season 3"

** and THEN the product not being delivered is a valid complaint. Perhaps an AWESOME complaint, through which one could CHANNEL their displeasure...

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Out of curiosity, are Patreon donations taxed?

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Max Wilco posted:

It counts as income so I would say most definitely.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Anyone know what it was at its highest point?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Max Wilco posted:

Apparently they are taxed quite heavily.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

PassTheRemote posted:

It's probably people pulling their patreons because he is so slow at video making.
His last 'review' was November 18th, so yeah I can see why people are frustrated. If anything is output is way lower since the Patreon.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Max Wilco posted:

Since they promise production of content (a service) in return VAT or whatever the american equivalent is should apply.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The United States has no Value added tax of any kind. Michigan has a weird state level one but that's it.

Pirate Jenny
Mar 28, 2006

Sie wissen nicht, mit wem Sie reden.

Max Wilco posted:

Yes, but as royalties, same as any other 1099-misc or any other non-employee compensation.

Before deductions, it's about a 30% tax rate (not including state income tax, if applicable).

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Pirate Jenny posted:

Yes, but as royalties, same as any other 1099-misc or any other non-employee compensation.

Before deductions, it's about a 30% tax rate (not including state income tax, if applicable).

drat, that is a poo poo way to make a living. Internet people have the worst tax rate in America.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Mr. Fowl posted:

drat, that is a poo poo way to make a living. Internet people have the worst tax rate in America.

I'd assume it's that high because they're covering all the employer's portion of social security and medicare plus normal withholding. It's probably the same as normal self employment/contract work.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Mr. Fowl posted:

That's lower then the lowest bracket in my country, so for me that sounds pretty decent. :v:
I don't mind paying taxes at all though, it pays for (mostly) good stuff

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Miss Wallace posted:

What Mokinokaro said, but also I did a Manic Episodes a loooong time ago on a Baywatch Nights ep if you'd care to see it:

http://blip.tv/OLPresents/me-baywatch-nights-the-eighth-seal-4990024

It's the ep where Mitch is possessed by a demon! Keep in mind I hadn't even seen Baywatch proper at that point, and the technical quality isn't the best. I'll go over the ep again in Baywatching when it comes to it, but that'll be a long time coming.

Bit late on this but while the production isn't as good as Baywatching the content is still as great!

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Ultragonk posted:

Bit late on this but while the production isn't as good as Baywatching the content is still as great!

The Hoff only funds projects that he stars in.

Pirate Jenny
Mar 28, 2006

Sie wissen nicht, mit wem Sie reden.

Mr. Fowl posted:

Not "Internet people" - this is true of any income made through 1099-misc. So basically all freelance people. The logic is, basically, since you are "self-employed", you pay both the tax for personal income and corporate income. That's why it's so high (compared to people who get a W2).

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!
Well I'm glad you enjoyed the Baywatch Nights Manic Episode. :) Thanks!

Movie Nights: Big and Hairy is now up! Phelan joins me to watch a bigfoot play basketball.

http://phelous.com/2015/02/10/obscurus-lupa/movienights/movie-nights-big-and-hairy/

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Spoony did a review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkGelxnZa3g

I don't hate it.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Millions of fedoras were flung to the ground today :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Wow, that's cool for her.

And good, none of those nerds needed to wear those hats while they're inside their basements anyways.

• Locked thread