Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HP Artsandcrafts
Oct 3, 2012

Neptr posted:

Front wheels are wider than the rear wheels?

This machine is very different than anything else that you can compare it to -- I hope it works out because that's a hell of a gamble. Is there something in the rules that gives a setup like this some sort of advantage?

It's sort of the opposite weight distribution of the deltawing but with the same principles in mind. It's all about low drag and efficiency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Powershift posted:

this is just a ploy to butter people up for the FWD 370z successor.

Toronado by Nissan.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Powershift posted:

this is just a ploy to butter people up for the FWD 370z successor.

In the article they mentioned how it's front engined TTv6 and AWD so they are calling it the GTR. I wonder if that is how it happened to be with their "clean sheet" race car design, or if someone said they should make a GTR-based LMS car and that's what they came up with.

http://www.racer.com/wec-le-mans/item/113077-pruett-inside-the-nissan-gt-r-lm-nismo-lmp1-program?showall

The picture of the rear of the car really shows what they were going for. I think it's pretty cool but I doubt they will really be able to compete with someone like audi who has been doing this for so long.

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

HP Artsandcrafts posted:

It's sort of the opposite weight distribution of the deltawing but with the same principles in mind. It's all about low drag and efficiency.

I'm not quite sure if I see it that way -- the Deltawing used the long wheelbase, rearward COG, and strong aero package to push the tiny front tires into the ground so they could get the grip of a wide tire without the mass. I don't think this LMP1 car is trying to do the same thing but opposite - it doesn't need lots of rear grip, it needs lots of grip in the front. In that sense it makes sense to use less tire in the rear and make up for it with aero, but the demands on the front tires are astronomical compared to what the DW had to do with the rear. The DW had 350hp and used Indy Light front tires in the rear, this will have 1200hp and I can't imagine that the regulations will allow a larger front tire than what's already on a conventional LMP1 car.

Some Zero
Sep 23, 2009

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
That owns.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

New Roadkill! :woop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qI0ve18j0TQ

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

He's exceeded the original in every metric, including how dated it will look twenty years from now.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe
I especially appreciate the fire suppression systems behind each wheel.

Boomerjinks, get your crew on this, stat.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Rocket Bunny Delorean

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Pantera, I think.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

With 4 stud rims :lol:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Raluek posted:

Pantera, I think.

Yeah its a pantera.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Panteras forever.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
One of my lifelong dreams is to drive a Pantera while listening to Pantera.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Are we doing this? I guess we're doing this.

that last one's a Mangusta :ssh:

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
Panteras look so awesome. Shame they were shoddily built & had aerodynamics that generated upforce. Jay's Garage had a pretty cool bit on one not too long ago. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dd2Unce43wI

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

jamal posted:

In the article they mentioned how it's front engined TTv6 and AWD so they are calling it the GTR. I wonder if that is how it happened to be with their "clean sheet" race car design, or if someone said they should make a GTR-based LMS car and that's what they came up with.

http://www.racer.com/wec-le-mans/item/113077-pruett-inside-the-nissan-gt-r-lm-nismo-lmp1-program?showall

The picture of the rear of the car really shows what they were going for. I think it's pretty cool but I doubt they will really be able to compete with someone like audi who has been doing this for so long.

I'm curious as hell to see how it actually performs compared to the conventional LMP1s. They seem to think that they found a lot of aero efficiency with their design that just isn't possible in a mid engine car. Either way, it should be really wild to see this compete with the Audis (which as I recall weren't as fast but more reliable than their competitors), the Toyotas and the Porsches. It would be really crazy if they were actually able to win at Le Mans with something so unorthodox, especially to see how the other manufacturers react!

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
The thing I love about the Pantera is the side profile is exactly what I'd doodle in books as a kid, without ever knowingly having seen one. I'm sure I must have seen the shape somewhere but for years and years I had no idea the real thing existed. :allears:

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

AlmightyPants posted:

I'm curious as hell to see how it actually performs compared to the conventional LMP1s. They seem to think that they found a lot of aero efficiency with their design that just isn't possible in a mid engine car. Either way, it should be really wild to see this compete with the Audis (which as I recall weren't as fast but more reliable than their competitors), the Toyotas and the Porsches. It would be really crazy if they were actually able to win at Le Mans with something so unorthodox, especially to see how the other manufacturers react!

Yeah from looking at it, it seems more aerodynamically efficient than anything else, and my aero engineer friend loves what he's seen. Being faster than the established lmp1 teams is a whole other thing though.

spleen merchant
Jul 1, 2007
Fun Shoe

Apparently Marty McFly is about 4ft tall.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

jammyozzy posted:

The thing I love about the Pantera is the side profile is exactly what I'd doodle in books as a kid, without ever knowingly having seen one. I'm sure I must have seen the shape somewhere but for years and years I had no idea the real thing existed. :allears:

Thing I love about the pantera is it's a poor mans version of a GT40, and more streetable at that.
I don't really ever think of a pantera, but when I think of a GT40, then I think how much more attainable for many a pantera would be.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

If you're going to do an updated Back to the Future poster, I'd expect nothing less than a Ford Winstar. :colbert:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

spleen merchant posted:

Apparently Marty McFly is about 4ft tall.

I mean, Michael J. Fox is a pretty small dude, but yeah somebody hosed up their proportions a bit there.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

I'm the random adjustable cam gears on the rear quarter, the exhaust pipe that gets routed forward past the rear axle, the blue lights, and the "what the flux" written on the cooling exhaust ports. :colbert:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I would watch the gently caress out of a Tokyo drift reboot of bttf and if you say you wouldn't you're either lying or terrible. :colbert:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Cakefool posted:

I would watch the gently caress out of a Tokyo drift reboot of bttf and if you say you wouldn't you're either lying or terrible. :colbert:

Considering 90% of the movies revolve around the actual time machine being completely unusable, I'm not sure how that would work.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

xzzy posted:

Considering 90% of the movies revolve around the actual time machine being completely unusable, I'm not sure how that would work.

Gotta overnight some flux capacitors from Japan.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

xzzy posted:

The time machine doesn't, run on everything, it runs on uranium. You have to win a street race+drift event around the area of Fukushima to win some on the black market. :colbert:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Octopus Magic posted:

I'm the random adjustable cam gears on the rear quarter, the exhaust pipe that gets routed forward past the rear axle, the blue lights, and the "what the flux" written on the cooling exhaust ports. :colbert:

Pretty sure that's not an exhaust, it's an air intake for cooling the nuclear reactor. :colbert:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
I thought they were speakers instead of gears.

"what the flux" is the name of the image the person created.

more from the same artist

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

The artist certainly has a hardon for tweels and illogical placed aero. I'm drunk enough to be okay with that.

And I thought that last one was a V40 for a moment there.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
I see we're reaching 400 pages soon. I better see some 400 big blocks.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

jamal posted:

Darren Cox from Nissan's explanation goes something like "Audi have been doing this for 10 years, if we copied Audi it would take 10 years to catch up. So we're trying something completely different." We won't really know whether it works or not until next year though; I can't imagine this year will be more than a learning year for the GT-R LM.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

drgitlin posted:

Darren Cox from Nissan's explanation goes something like "Audi have been doing this for 10 years, if we copied Audi it would take 10 years to catch up. So we're trying something completely different." We won't really know whether it works or not until next year though; I can't imagine this year will be more than a learning year for the GT-R LM.

Be awesome if it smashes the field though.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Wasabi the J posted:

Be awesome if it smashes the field though.

The deltawing was doing really well until it got smashed up, the narrow nose resulted in a driver being unable to see him and he got clipped into a wall.

So yeah Nissan has shown they can do okay with crazy ideas, this new one has promise too.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

xzzy posted:

The deltawing was doing really well until it got smashed up, the narrow nose resulted in a driver being unable to see him and he got clipped into a wall.

So yeah Nissan has shown they can do okay with crazy ideas, this new one has promise too.

Except for the fact that they can't keep a gearbox from exploding.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

More Pantera:

Click for a whole gallery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

screenwritersblues posted:

I see we're reaching 400 pages soon. I better see some 400 big blocks.

The 400 is a small block, though. Unless you mean the Ford? 'Cause that's kind of in between a small and big block.