Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SteveMcQueen
Jun 16, 2005

Brain Issues posted:

FWIW, I have the Monitor 70s and I'm severely unimpressed by them. I'm driving them with an Onkyo 737 so they should have plenty of power, but they really don't sound very good to me at all. The PSW505 on the other hand was well worth the $170 that I paid for it, I'm very impressed with that subwoofer.

I have the monitor 60s and was very unimpressed with them until we moved and was finally able to put them a good distance apart. I'm going to replace them with bookshelf speakers because WAF but try messing with the placement. It helped a lot on my end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
There are 3 aspects to a speaker which makes them good.

High efficiency/low distortion (these are inversely proportional)

Low frequency range (inversely proportional to efficiency)

On and off axis frequency response.

If you ignore the need for a small form factor, and ignore the need to go below 80hz, you can get a lot of performance out of a speaker without getting fancy.

I don't know why you guys don't like the monitor 70. It seems like it should be able to move a lot of air and work great for someone not using a subwoofer.

If you're using a good subwoofer, there is a lot of efficiency wasted on going low in those speakers.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

My parents currently have a 5.1 setup (that isn't super great because they choose to put the TV in the corner of a room) and have renovated the house recently. Originally they were going to solve a wiring issue of passing the wires over the fire place by having passthroughs into the basement installed on either side. However, my father stopped that idea, saying he wants to do a wireless setup. Now since the TV is in a corner next to the fireplace, they're either going to have the right and the rear right speaker wires going around the fireplace, or in the other corner they would have the left and rear left speakers with that problem.

Is wireless still laggy? They couldn't get some kind of adapter for those two speaker that are worth anything, right? Would they have to buy a new in-a-box setup for a decent 5.1 system?

I'm thinking the answer is that I tell him to get that channel installed into the basement on both ends of the fireplace. I just didn't know if there was something I was missing, before I tell him he can't get what he wants.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Two things id be worried about with wireless speakers, interference if they are running on 2.4ghz, and the fact that the receiver is your amplifier, so you will be limited to the 25w or whatever it puts out. Also they still arn't wireless, you will have to run wires up the walls from the receiver to the speakers. If you have a basement there is no reason not to just run wires.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

It's 2015 and wires are still king I'm afraid.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
I will finally have a basement and am doing a projector. I have a receiver (Pioneer VSX 1020), 5 speakers (old NHT VT2/VS-whatevers), and sources (xbone/ps4). I need a projector, screen and sub.

We will have excellent light control and the projector will be ceiling mounted, so I can put it any distance to the screen. As far as budget, I'm pretty cheap.

Wirecutter recommends the BenQ HT1075 (~$800) and silver ticket screens (thinking 120"). Any objections to those, or other recommendations? What do more expensive projectors get me?

For a sub, the space is kind of huge (maybe 1400 sq. ft.). I've always liked SVS and Hsu. I probably need something ported due to the space. Maybe a SVS pb2000 or Hsu VTF-3? Or the old VTG-15H on clearance ($730)?

e: Probably the wrong thread for the projector questions, but feel free to answer the subwoofer question. e2: Looks like a VTF or a the Rhytmik LV12R would be the way to go, though I'm totally hosed because the room probably is like 10k cubic feet. I will need at least two. e3: Looks like my projector/screen choices look fine as well, according to the projector thread.

gvibes fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jan 18, 2015

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
I've been looking at speakers for a while, checking Craiglist and been to a few pawn shops, etc. for a new setup. I'm going to start out with a 2.0 setup and mainly use it for audio.

I just found out my parents have a set of Infinity Reference 2000.5 speakers in their garage. I can't really find much in the way of specs on Google, but a bunch of people seem to think "those are a great deal for ($dollar amount)". Does anyone know anything about these? I was this close to just buying some Polk Audio bookshelfs from Best Buy for $99/pair and if that is a better course, I'll just do that.

Will be running off a Yamaha VX-377 in my living room (apartment) so I don't need anything super loud or a lot of bass.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

I've been looking at speakers for a while, checking Craiglist and been to a few pawn shops, etc. for a new setup. I'm going to start out with a 2.0 setup and mainly use it for audio.

I just found out my parents have a set of Infinity Reference 2000.5 speakers in their garage. I can't really find much in the way of specs on Google, but a bunch of people seem to think "those are a great deal for ($dollar amount)". Does anyone know anything about these? I was this close to just buying some Polk Audio bookshelfs from Best Buy for $99/pair and if that is a better course, I'll just do that.

Will be running off a Yamaha VX-377 in my living room (apartment) so I don't need anything super loud or a lot of bass.

If you have the space for floor standers absolutely take them over entry level big box store bookshelf speakers. It's not even a question.

People poo poo on infinity speakers (except early ones with eMIT tweeters) but it's probably more a reaction to marketing in the 80's and 90's as much as anything. I haven't listened to a million pairs but I've got some 80's bookshelves in my garage that sound fine. And I'm assuming since they're in your parents garage they're free, right?

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

BigFactory posted:

And I'm assuming since they're in your parents garage they're free, right?
Yeah, they're behind a stack of boxes that haven't moved in like 5 years. I don't even think they know they have them but I'm gonna at least tell them I'm taking them.

Probably get them set up some time this weekend.

ryangs
Jul 11, 2001

Yo vivo en una furgoneta abajo cerca del río!
Anyone have one of the new SRx009 series Marantz receivers? My Denon E400 will be moving to my dad's home theater and I am looking to upgrade. I'm eyeing the SR5009, which is available at a not-horrible price from A4L. The guys on AVS Forum have been having some issues with it freezing, although it seems to be limited to certain HDMI sources and a firmware update is expected this week.

Anyways, wanted to see if anyone here had experience with one of these new Marantz models.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
I'm about to buy a 5.1 speaker set, the logitech z506, but its speakers don't have a hole on the back to affix them to walls, what would be the best way to go about it?
Alternatively I was wondering if the sound quality of something like the LG home theater (the BH6340H for example) would be much better.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

program666 posted:

I'm about to buy a 5.1 speaker set, the logitech z506, but its speakers don't have a hole on the back to affix them to walls, what would be the best way to go about it?
Alternatively I was wondering if the sound quality of something like the LG home theater (the BH6340H for example) would be much better.

How much can you get the LG set for? (First search showed just under $500, but I'm lazy) Why specifically this one?

Did you listen to the Logitech system in a comparable environment as your intended room?

Why specifically 5.1?

If you are able to spend $500, you should be able to get a $200 receiver and $300 in speakers. For movies and games, speaker importance goes (1)center, (2)front sides, (3)surround, speaker budget split accordingly. Surround don't need to be huge. Decent center and front speakers can hit pretty low, so a sub isn't a necessity.

If you are on a budget and like the Logitech, get those.
If you want something with more power, quality, and upgrade potential, get receiver and start with a 3-channel setup.

Home theater kits like the LG one are generally bad deals.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I've never liked the centre channel in home theatre setups, It just sounds a little toooooo distinct from the L/R channels (I'm aware that's the point, to project the vocal track in film). The centre is usually several magnitudes smaller leading to the actual speaker itself sounding off in comparison to a pair of floorstanders so I run with a phantom centre.

Please tell me I'm not alone in this. :(

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

You have to match the center speaker to the front speakers. I think it's fair to say that the center speaker is actually the most important speaker in a surround sound setup.

The ideal way is if you can get a horizontal version of your front speakers and use that. I think a lot of people go with a center speaker that is way too small, to make it fit the physical limitations of their setup, but it should actually have the same size drivers as your mains, and an enclosure size to match.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

Palicgofueniczekt posted:

How much can you get the LG set for? (First search showed just under $500, but I'm lazy) Why specifically this one?

Did you listen to the Logitech system in a comparable environment as your intended room?

Why specifically 5.1?

If you are able to spend $500, you should be able to get a $200 receiver and $300 in speakers. For movies and games, speaker importance goes (1)center, (2)front sides, (3)surround, speaker budget split accordingly. Surround don't need to be huge. Decent center and front speakers can hit pretty low, so a sub isn't a necessity.

If you are on a budget and like the Logitech, get those.
If you want something with more power, quality, and upgrade potential, get receiver and start with a 3-channel setup.

Home theater kits like the LG one are generally bad deals.
Sorry I forgot to explain the whole thing:
- I don't need power since I don't want to bother my neighbors
- it has to be 5.1 because I just love that stuff when I'm playing first person games (and I don't want to use headphones all the time)
- I live in Brazil and prices for audio stuff is just loving crazy, and I don't have a audio shop around anyway, I would need to buy everything over the internet and that's a huge downside for me to commit too much money without touching, listening to the stuff
- in-a-box are much easier to find
- so much the BH6340H is about only double the price of the logitech stuff for me, which is really affordable, my only concern being if it's reflected on sound quality
- also I still didn't listen to any of the speakers I want to buy and I doubt I will be able to

I've seen the size of the speakers and maybe they are a bit too powerful, what I want is audio quality not power.

program666 fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Feb 3, 2015

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

88h88 posted:

I've never liked the centre channel in home theatre setups, It just sounds a little toooooo distinct from the L/R channels (I'm aware that's the point, to project the vocal track in film). The centre is usually several magnitudes smaller leading to the actual speaker itself sounding off in comparison to a pair of floorstanders so I run with a phantom centre.

Please tell me I'm not alone in this. :(
If they're matched [usually same tweeter and mid-bass driver as L/R speakers] and positioned correctly [tweeters on approximately the same plane, L/R 45° off center] this shouldn't be an issue. Video games tend to be pretty ham-fisted about channel separation compared to movies, that's when I notice it the most.

That said if I was on a really limited budget I'd rather buy two good speakers than 3 OK ones.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

Well, I just found out most of these in-a-box don't have proper 5.1 audio inputs so they can't work as receivers anyway. Except maybe the one I asked about earlier (the BH6340H) that seem to have optical audio in and hdmi in. I'm guessing I could use either of those for 5.1 input (out of my pc) maybe?
Anyway, I think I'll just buy the logitec 5.1 speakers and be done with it, but how do I hand those on walls? They look like this from behind:

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Put up shelves or brackets which are basically adjustable shelves.

ryangs
Jul 11, 2001

qirex posted:

If they're matched [usually same tweeter and mid-bass driver as L/R speakers] and positioned correctly [tweeters on approximately the same plane, L/R 45° off center] this shouldn't be an issue.

Matched speakers and placement definitely help, but it's not impossible to get a good center channel if you have an unmatched speaker or odd placement. I have a random center channel speaker that doesn't match my front stereo pair, but with the help of Audyssey it blends seamlessly. Shop for a receiver with Audyssey built-in, which uses a microphone to automatically adjust speaker volume, timing and EQ.

qirex posted:

That said if I was on a really limited budget I'd rather buy two good speakers than 3 OK ones.

I'll second this. Get a decent 5.1 receiver, like a Denon or Onkyo or Yamaha, and two good speakers to start. Later add center and rear, then a sub. Good stereo is a much better place to start than bad surround.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

ryangs posted:

Matched speakers and placement definitely help, but it's not impossible to get a good center channel if you have an unmatched speaker or odd placement. I have a random center channel speaker that doesn't match my front stereo pair, but with the help of Audyssey it blends seamlessly. Shop for a receiver with Audyssey built-in, which uses a microphone to automatically adjust speaker volume, timing and EQ.

I'll second this. Get a decent 5.1 receiver, like a Denon or Onkyo or Yamaha, and two good speakers to start. Later add center and rear, then a sub. Good stereo is a much better place to start than bad surround.

I would put the surrounds after the sub, TBH. And possibly the center, too, depending on whether you listen to music or watch movies more.

I can think of maybe 4 or 5 times off the top of my head that I actively noticed my surround speakers doing anything at all useful. And all of them are doorbells or gunshots that are supposed to take place off-scene.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
Any recommendations for bookshelf speakers that do well placed directly against the wall? This is for a small office, i won't be able to place the speakers much more than 15 cm (6 inch) from the wall. Can't place them in the wall since it is brick.
I know this degrades sounds with most speakers but some claim to be designed to be placed this way (Magnat Vector 202F, Klipschorn). Sadly i can't fit 2 klipschorns on my desk. Budget will be $300-400 for the speakers, new or used amplified by a NAD 314 (2x35 watt). Looking for some other options

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

NihilismNow posted:

Any recommendations for bookshelf speakers that do well placed directly against the wall? This is for a small office, i won't be able to place the speakers much more than 15 cm (6 inch) from the wall. Can't place them in the wall since it is brick.
I know this degrades sounds with most speakers but some claim to be designed to be placed this way (Magnat Vector 202F, Klipschorn). Sadly i can't fit 2 klipschorns on my desk. Budget will be $300-400 for the speakers, new or used amplified by a NAD 314 (2x35 watt). Looking for some other options

It's not like you'd value our opinions or attempts to communicate the nuances and values of different speakers anyway.

Edit: username post combo, to clarify

Corky Romanovsky fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Feb 7, 2015

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

NihilismNow posted:

Anything that is either sealed or has the bass reflex ports on the front should be fine. You'll get some extra bass from placing them close to a wall, so you may have to tone it down a little with some EQ, depending on your taste.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I've been looking at sealed or front-ported speakers and some that look interesting:
The NHT SuperOne [on sale backordered at $125/ea] or Absolute Zero [$219/ea]
Kef Q100 [$399/pr at ac4l.com]
Definitive ProMonitor 1000 [~$220/ea, I own these, they're not bad]
Overall though you're going to get a bit of boominess with any speakers on a wall but you can dial down the bass to match

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Any reason I can't mount "in wall" speakers in the ceiling?

These
http://www.klipsch.com/R-5650-S-II

Moving to a new house and could either mount them in the vaulted ceiling pointing down toward listeners or in the wall behind listeners. Any reason to pick one over the other.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

qirex posted:

I've been looking at sealed or front-ported speakers and some that look interesting:
The NHT SuperOne [on sale backordered at $125/ea] or Absolute Zero [$219/ea]
Kef Q100 [$399/pr at ac4l.com]
Definitive ProMonitor 1000 [~$220/ea, I own these, they're not bad]
Overall though you're going to get a bit of boominess with any speakers on a wall but you can dial down the bass to match

I think i am going to keep looking for some used models that were on my short list before i thought of the wall issue, Kef IQ(1/3/30), B&W CDM 1 (NT), B&W 602 S3.
If the used models don't work out i'll probably go for Kef Q100.

ryangs
Jul 11, 2001

Don Lapre posted:

Any reason I can't mount "in wall" speakers in the ceiling?

These
http://www.klipsch.com/R-5650-S-II

Moving to a new house and could either mount them in the vaulted ceiling pointing down toward listeners or in the wall behind listeners. Any reason to pick one over the other.

The tweeters on those look like they are specially designed/aimed for in-wall mounting. Klipsch makes speakers designed for ceiling use that swivel/tilt so they're aimed properly.

Personally, I usually prefer the sound of rear channels being mounted at ear level rather than above.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Damnit, couldn't find this thread!

Klipsch Quintet 5-Channel Home Theater System - http://slickdeals.net/share/iphone_app/fp/145428

Good deal? Looking to build a system for a very small home entertainment area

Also random question. My TV area is tucked away in a corner. Say I got extra speakers for the other side of my place to listen to music etc could I only have those turn on? I wouldn't mind everything being on during say, music, but wouldn't want them all on during a movie.

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Feb 12, 2015

ryangs
Jul 11, 2001

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Klipsch Quintet 5-Channel Home Theater System - http://slickdeals.net/share/iphone_app/fp/145428

Also random question. My TV area is tucked away in a corner. Say I got extra speakers for the other side of my place to listen to music etc could I only have those turn on? I wouldn't mind everything being on during say, music, but wouldn't want them all on during a movie.

That's just five small speakers, I think. No amplifier or receiver included. I wouldn't do it.

Most stereo or surround receivers have a "zone 2" or "speaker B" that will let you do what you want.

If your TV area is truly small and in a corner, I would start with good stereo before you go mucking around with shoe-horning in surround.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

It's not a bad deal. I mean, they'll be better than most cheap satellite speakers. If it's your first system and you want something that sounds better than a sound bar, go for it. Not sure if they come with a subwoofer, but you will need one to get any sort of bass out of the system.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Oh yeah that's not all I would get, sorry. definitely get a sub and good receiver. I set my mom up with a PSW10 and a really popular brand of tall floor standing speakers (name is escaping me now, damnit) and an onkyo receiver and it booms. But I think that's definitely overkill for my size/needs

I don't really care much for surround sound and 5.1 7.1 bs or whatever for movies. Just want a nice sound.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Oh yeah that's not all I would get, sorry. definitely get a sub and good receiver. I set my mom up with a PSW10 and a really popular brand of tall floor standing speakers (name is escaping me now, damnit) and an onkyo receiver and it booms. But I think that's definitely overkill for my size/needs

I don't really care much for surround sound and 5.1 7.1 bs or whatever for movies. Just want a nice sound.

Get 3 nice bookshelf speakers, a cheap receiver and a PSW10.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

The 3rd being the center channel which is speech, correct? And most people neglect to get it? Definitely going to want at least 1 speaker to wire to another area. Receivers seem pretty fancy these days. Ideally I'd want something i could easily get music going or turn my tv/system on with a Logitech universal remote. I'd say my budget is $800-1,000

Something clear/crisp but small. Don't care much for extra bass

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Yea the quintets are nice but they cant overcome the fact they are tiny speakers.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

The 3rd being the center channel which is speech, correct? And most people neglect to get it? Definitely going to want at least 1 speaker to wire to another area. Receivers seem pretty fancy these days. Ideally I'd want something i could easily get music going or turn my tv/system on with a Logitech universal remote. I'd say my budget is $800-1,000

Something clear/crisp but small. Don't care much for extra bass

I had similar needs. Apartment setup.
I picked up a Denon AVR-X2000, Micca MB42X-C for a center channel and Micca MB42X for left and right. Got a Polk PSW505 sub on sale, but before I saw that I was just going to get a cheap 10 or 12" dayton off of amazon.

The speakers are on amazon, the reciever I got here
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrx2000/denon-avr-x2000-7.1-ch-4k-ultra-hd-networking-receiver-airplay/1.html
It turned out to be refurbished, which doesn't bother me at all.

Came out to be under $800, I think.

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004
I'm in the market for a new subwoofer in the $300 - high $400 range. Right now I have Polk Monitor 70 surrond, center, and front speakers, but my sub is a cheap-o Energy that I got in their 5.1 in a box setup. I was looking at maybe http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0AJ2022053 because I'm a fan of how clear the Klipsch subwoofers are, but I'm a bit put off by it being 10". I was also looking at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290130 and http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2GA0XE2303 but I heard Polk subwoofers are meh. The room it's in is pretty big, the whole house has an open floor plan so I do need some pretty decent oompf, would a 10" be enough or should I be looking for something bigger? Should I stick with a Polk sub since I have Polk speakers? I don't know speakers that well.

Usage is mostly watching TV, movies and video games.

-edit-
how good is this deal/speaker?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003VIWK0G...ASIN=B003VIWK0G

or this:
http://smile.amazon.com/BIC-America...k+505+subwoofer

or this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2GA0XE2303

JacksLibido fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Feb 13, 2015

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Hypnolobster posted:

I had similar needs. Apartment setup.
I picked up a Denon AVR-X2000, Micca MB42X-C for a center channel and Micca MB42X for left and right. Got a Polk PSW505 sub on sale, but before I saw that I was just going to get a cheap 10 or 12" dayton off of amazon.

The speakers are on amazon, the reciever I got here
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrx2000/denon-avr-x2000-7.1-ch-4k-ultra-hd-networking-receiver-airplay/1.html
It turned out to be refurbished, which doesn't bother me at all.

Came out to be under $800, I think.

How's the spotify work? Control it from your phone or is it purely through the receiver? It's discontinued but $500 on amazon. $350 refurbished (could care less as well). Not in too much of a rush so might wait for a sale on another receiver, subs, or speakers. I know monoprice is making some ok cheap stuff.

The BIC America F12 is the other really popular brand of sub, correct? Just above the PSW10. That one booms at my moms place so probably overkill for my needs. Again I appreciate bass and filling in the lows etc but am really looking for a nice crips/clear sound

In relation to my previous question, my computer is in the same room. Could I hook it up to my receiver via, say, optical, and just have 2 small bookshelf speakers on my desk for sound using the same sub? Leaving the ones near the TV off.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

If it's the same as my x1100 you need to use a spotify app through your phone but it'll show artist info on the tv. (If I'm remembering correctly)

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

How's the spotify work? Control it from your phone or is it purely through the receiver? It's discontinued but $500 on amazon. $350 refurbished (could care less as well). Not in too much of a rush so might wait for a sale on another receiver, subs, or speakers. I know monoprice is making some ok cheap stuff.

The BIC America F12 is the other really popular brand of sub, correct? Just above the PSW10. That one booms at my moms place so probably overkill for my needs. Again I appreciate bass and filling in the lows etc but am really looking for a nice crips/clear sound

In relation to my previous question, my computer is in the same room. Could I hook it up to my receiver via, say, optical, and just have 2 small bookshelf speakers on my desk for sound using the same sub? Leaving the ones near the TV off.

If the bass is too boomy, it just means you need to turn down the subwoofer. The point of a bigger sub is that it can (generally) hit lower notes, not that it's louder. The PSW10 bottoms out at ~35-40Hz, which is fine for most music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

JacksLibido posted:

I'm in the market for a new subwoofer in the $300 - high $400 range. Right now I have Polk Monitor 70 surrond, center, and front speakers, but my sub is a cheap-o Energy that I got in their 5.1 in a box setup. I was looking at maybe http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0AJ2022053 because I'm a fan of how clear the Klipsch subwoofers are, but I'm a bit put off by it being 10". I was also looking at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290130 and http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2GA0XE2303 but I heard Polk subwoofers are meh. The room it's in is pretty big, the whole house has an open floor plan so I do need some pretty decent oompf, would a 10" be enough or should I be looking for something bigger? Should I stick with a Polk sub since I have Polk speakers? I don't know speakers that well.

Usage is mostly watching TV, movies and video games.

-edit-
how good is this deal/speaker?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003VIWK0G...ASIN=B003VIWK0G

or this:
http://smile.amazon.com/BIC-America...k+505+subwoofer

or this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2GA0XE2303

I would wait for the Polk PSW505 to go on sale again at a sub 200 dollar range and pick 2 of them up. I really like my PSW505 especially at a sub 200 dollar price point.

KillHour posted:

If the bass is too boomy, it just means you need to turn down the subwoofer. The point of a bigger sub is that it can (generally) hit lower notes, not that it's louder. The PSW10 bottoms out at ~35-40Hz, which is fine for most music.

The PSW10 I had before I upgraded was ok for 95% of what I did. Music was good, TV was good, but it really struggled with anything lower than 40Hz. Movies with good bass really suffered.