Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
So you can change your succession laws, and light infantry get blown away by real armies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

So you can change your succession laws, and light infantry get blown away by real armies.

Yep, that's the correct answer. When you go Feudal your army will be smaller, but comprised of better troops. You just need to time it right so you can survive the transition period.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

And thus, after one especially spectacular night on the town with his boon companions, a new beer was created in the Emperor's honour.

Karling Black Label

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yep, that's the correct answer. When you go Feudal your army will be smaller, but comprised of better troops. You just need to time it right so you can survive the transition period.

The transition can be very hard and dangeours. All fo a sudden you have half your armies and half of your vassals hate you ("wrong government type"), so you are very vulnerable to both internally and externally.

My advice: save a lot of money first (raid like crazy while you still can).

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
It's nice to have 2 or 3 counties under your control that all have level 4 hillforts before you convert to feudalism. Then you can just upgrade tribal holdings, and you have 3 counties on the up and up rather than just your capital. Makes the transition a lot easier if you're in a place where you're worried about people taking advantage of your weakness.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Jedit posted:

And thus, after one especially spectacular night on the town with his boon companions, a new beer was created in the Emperor's honour.

Karling Black Label

So did you kill your brother and get it lifted, or get excommunicated and forcibly recommunicate yourself?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

PrinceRandom posted:

I'm having trouble with the subscribe install for CK2+. When i try to play it, a black window pops up and immediately closes with no message or error report.

I deleted my save folder in my documents and it worked find after that

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

verbal enema posted:

I deleted my save folder in my documents and it worked find after that

i got it now.

Though odd bug report if the CK2+ guys read the thread, I checked Iberia in 888 and apparently the whole Ummayad Dynasty converted to Catholicism though they're still a Sultanate.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

PrinceRandom posted:

i got it now.

Though odd bug report if the CK2+ guys read the thread, I checked Iberia in 888 and apparently the whole Ummayad Dynasty converted to Catholicism though they're still a Sultanate.

We do (well, at least, I do), but that's WAD: using "Sultan" rather than "King" or whatever is tied to culture, not religion, so an Andalusian Catholic Umayyad Spain will still call themselves a Sultanate.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, I played a Tuscany game early on where my heir and basically the main branch of the Dynasty became Maghreb Sultans of Sicily.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Having pressed a vassal's claim to the Kingdom of Germany, he now has a press-able claim to the Kingdom of Middle Francia, almost bigger than the territory I own.
I'd quite like someone in charge of that land, but don't really want a vassal having that much power. Problems, problems, problems...

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Freudian posted:

So did you kill your brother and get it lifted, or get excommunicated and forcibly recommunicate yourself?

Take a look at Karloman, I think you'll find your question is answered.

Seriously, I don't know why anyone would do it any other way. You're about to have at least three guaranteed major wars so +3 Martial doesn't hurt, you're a Brilliant Strategist so you generally have a +1 PCS edge over Karloman, you're far enough inside your vassal limit that the diplo hit doesn't hurt, and you become rivals with Karloman about a week into the game so there's no major time loss even if you have to restart.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Neopie posted:

Oh! As a test the other day, just to see if it worked, I consoled a bunch of positive traits onto a temple vassal and then made him an antipope...

And got exactly no money from this?
I was just doing it as a test anyways, but could someone please explain what happened? He showed up as one, moral authority went down et al, but he wasn't paying me anything.
Normal = religious vassals pay to pope or their liege depending on which they like better
Antipope = religious vassals pay to pope, their liege, or you depending on which they like better (aka if they like the antipope most, they pay directly to you, sidestepping the antipope)

Similarly if you vassalize the pope (via pressing antipope as an emperor), religious vassals that like the pope pay you directly, sidestepping the pope vassal.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
Ah, to clarify, what I meant was my income didn't actually go up at all.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I dunno what changed but after around... Charlemagne, maybe?... it seems like most of the time all of my bishops have 100 opinion with the pope and I never get jackshit from them. It wasn't always that way. Come to think of it that change may have coincided with the total disappearance of excommunication.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

History remembers him as...Charlenoir.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
Note to self: Don't go on a debauched spree of adultery when your wife is a genius elusive shadow and of course your spymaster. I entirely forgot to check on my councilors opinions of me.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
im really nervous right now becuz right before i left for work I started a war but then got all my vassels happy so i could finally make it so my son would get everything when i died but then right as im at the last 1/3 of the siege to win i get a war declared on me and now im like fuuuuuuuuck

this hasn't been the best round for the king of ireland start at 1066 with king brian of mumu so far but ive done so much damnit. i was trying for years to revoke desmundhain's title so i could run it myself i had to wait like 15 years for that old fucker to die so i could have his son inherit and finally make all the vassals happy. osriage(?) made a claim on me and called in someone from cull dain and im stuck up near the other tull culdesac or w/e it is gotta do this tricky good style. hopefully this 20% army movement skill works well enough.

Shions of Qud

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
wow nevermind cill dara also called war on the guy i was attacking so ijust hosed off ran back to my capital and 3 flanked a guy lol

well HECK Phil
Feb 25, 2010
Toilet Rascal
Okay so I'm over thirty hours into my love affair with this game and I've noticed something weird and not sure if anyone else saw this. I have two mods that I have to recheck every time I start the game up in Steam. What's even more odd is that I have a third one that I don't have to recheck, it just stays on normally. Anyone ever run into that? Am I doing something wrong?

On a sidenote; I learned a valuable lesson not to create a female, Germanic Pagan leader in Ireland during the Age of Charlemagne. She lasted about a good year before a vassal unseated her, placed her son in charge and became his regent. poo poo, this game is fun.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

Gordito posted:

Okay so I'm over thirty hours into my love affair with this game and I've noticed something weird and not sure if anyone else saw this. I have two mods that I have to recheck every time I start the game up in Steam. What's even more odd is that I have a third one that I don't have to recheck, it just stays on normally. Anyone ever run into that? Am I doing something wrong?

On a sidenote; I learned a valuable lesson not to create a female, Germanic Pagan leader in Ireland during the Age of Charlemagne. She lasted about a good year before a vassal unseated her, placed her son in charge and became his regent. poo poo, this game is fun.

The settings remember which mod you last used as long as there aren't any spaces in the modname. Not every modmaker has figured this out apperantly.

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008
I use a localization mod with spaces in the name and it always gets remembered but anything else I turn on never does :shrug:

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

TheBlackRoija posted:

I use a localization mod with spaces in the name and it always gets remembered but anything else I turn on never does :shrug:

Sorry, not the name displayed in the launcher, but the foldername and .mod name. Open the .mod file in a texteditor and you'll see the difference.

well HECK Phil
Feb 25, 2010
Toilet Rascal

Back To 99 posted:

The settings remember which mod you last used as long as there aren't any spaces in the modname. Not every modmaker has figured this out apperantly.

Awesome; thanks for explaining that one for me. So if I rename the mods without spaces, will that correct it or am I just poo poo out of luck and I just need to remember to turn the mods on every time I start playing?

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

Gordito posted:

Awesome; thanks for explaining that one for me. So if I rename the mods without spaces, will that correct it or am I just poo poo out of luck and I just need to remember to turn the mods on every time I start playing?

What i do is find the modfolder and look for modname.mod. Open that in notepad++, then i remove all spaces and rename the modnamefolder to match.

This will make CK2 remember:

name = "Lux Invicta v0.6J1"
path = "mod/LuxInvicta"
user_dir = "LuxInvicta"

It would not remember this:

path = "mod/Lux Invicta"
user_dir = "LuxInvicta"

Remember that the folder also has to be renamed.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
What's the status of the Charlemagne patch for those of us without Charlemagne? Still nerfed levies and broken stuff or did they re-rebalance?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Have they made it easier to form the pagan faiths recently? I noticed yesterday that Germanic formed with sweden owning only 2 of the holy sites. The other 2 were owned by Denmark and Norway, with the last one still owned by the karlings.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

monster on a stick posted:

What's the status of the Charlemagne patch for those of us without Charlemagne? Still nerfed levies and broken stuff or did they re-rebalance?

Everyone gets the same patch.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Everyone gets the same patch.

Yes but people with Charlemagne could create viceroys that I thought got around a lot of the increased difficulty the CM patch introduced with vassal management.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

monster on a stick posted:

Yes but people with Charlemagne could create viceroys that I thought got around a lot of the increased difficulty the CM patch introduced with vassal management.

Viceroys are such a late game thing that I hardly think they have any real effect on difficulty.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Viceroys also aren't really worth the hassle even in lategame.

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

Viceroys also aren't really worth the hassle even in lategame.

Really? I've only been playing around with them a bit but they seem helpful--once every generation or so find a content dude in a Kingdom you don't particularly want to deal with yourself, hand it off and boom loyal vassal for life at the cost of -2 opinion for all your feudal vassals.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Goddamn, playing in France is a disaster. You declare war to press a claim in a duchy, and you don't get one of the counties in that duchy because that county is personally held by a duke from a different duchy, and on and on. Good thing you only need 80 counties to form the empire. :suicide:

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Got Sons of Abraham a few months back, but only just got to see this today:

By golly this is fun stuff. First time I've been able to truck through a vanilla campaign for any appreciable time in a while, too. I think I'm nearly set up to form the HRE two generations down the line, if only my heir stopped being possessed and his Burgundian betrothed stopped being imprisoned.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I'm emperor and I've got some duchies that are called minor viceroyalties (instead of duchies) despite not having any viceroyalty laws. For some reason I can't hand these titles out, I'm just stuck with them. Any idea on how to fix this? Not ironman, but I dont' want to just use the give_title console command because I want to give out land with it too.

well HECK Phil
Feb 25, 2010
Toilet Rascal

Back To 99 posted:

What i do is find the modfolder and look for modname.mod. Open that in notepad++, then i remove all spaces and rename the modnamefolder to match.

This will make CK2 remember:

path = "mod/LuxInvicta"
user_dir = "LuxInvicta"

It would not remember this:

path = "mod/Lux Invicta"
user_dir = "LuxInvicta"

Remember that the folder also has to be renamed.

Thank you, that worked.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

TTBF posted:

I'm emperor and I've got some duchies that are called minor viceroyalties (instead of duchies) despite not having any viceroyalty laws. For some reason I can't hand these titles out, I'm just stuck with them. Any idea on how to fix this? Not ironman, but I dont' want to just use the give_title console command because I want to give out land with it too.

Kill the viceroyalty holders.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I am the viceroyalty holder.

e: guess I'll just console command it onto someone else and then kill them.

TTBF fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Feb 8, 2015

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
This game's bugs never cease to amuse me.

This is an irking one, though! I am no longer getting warscore for winning battles, only sieging?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Neopie posted:

This game's bugs never cease to amuse me.

This is an irking one, though! I am no longer getting warscore for winning battles, only sieging?

That happens to me a lot--usually turns out it's because the army I attacked wasn't my opponent's, but some vassal's of his, or someone rebelling against him who I'm hostile to. I try to always remember to hover over an "enemy" army and make sure it's actually my opponent's own army before attacking it.

• Locked thread