Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!

pandaK posted:

Are those tempered glass screen protectors worth it? If so, does anyone have any suggestions for the Note 4 and Note Edge?

I have one and they're cheap enough to not be obnoxiously priced. At $5-$10 a pop they're nice and they can make people believe you don't have a screen protector on.

From my understanding, they will shatter and absorb the impact so the screen is unaffected. Sort of like a car bumper. I'm told these are the new hotness (if pricier): http://www.amazon.com/Anti-Scratch-Bubble-free-Fingerprint-Protector-Replacement/dp/B00R421E8E/

That being said, I got two other branded ones for my Z3C and one of them was a total lemon and would recognize my key presses as swipes so............

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

RVProfootballer posted:

lol asking this about a Samsung. How's the fingerprint reader and S-voice and tilt to endlessly scroll and all that garbage?

The fingerprint reader actually works really well. I use it as my unlock. I disable the rest of the poo poo

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
I wish my N6 had a fingerprint reader. One of the things I really like about the new iPhones.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
My One Max has a fingerprint reader, and it works fine, but I just don't find myself using it at all. Maybe because it's on the back...

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

nerve posted:

So then while we are on the subject, what is the best camera app?

If you fit the requirements, this one looks pretty good: Android Manual Camera App Review: http://youtu.be/uyo9pHQVrJA

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

nerve posted:

I wish my N6 had a fingerprint reader. One of the things I really like about the new iPhones.

It was going to, but Apple bought the top manufacturer and so they decided not to stick a second-rate one in there instead.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

DemonMage posted:

It was going to, but Apple bought the top manufacturer and so they decided not to stick a second-rate one in there instead.
Samsung, not to be deterred and unwavering in their mantra of "bigger numbers are better", decided that a second-rate fingerprint reader would do and used a third-rate one instead.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Any recommendations for a Bluetooth keyboard to use with a nexus 5? Is like to be able to take notes during meetings without lugging around a10 lbs laptop.

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

Massasoit posted:

Any recommendations for a Bluetooth keyboard to use with a nexus 5? Is like to be able to take notes during meetings without lugging around a10 lbs laptop.

How about getting a lighter laptop?

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Merv Burger posted:

That definitely makes more sense than buying a cheap bluetooth keyboard that works with his phone.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Grimson posted:

That definitely makes more sense than buying a cheap bluetooth keyboard that works with his phone.

Taking notes on a phone during meetings using a bluetooth keyboard is pretty funny, so I also think he should get a nice full sized bluetooth keyboard.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Merv Burger posted:

In thinking $50 instead of $300+ would be better. Particularly for something that I have to do, but not every day.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Massasoit posted:

In thinking $50 instead of $300+ would be better. Particularly for something that I have to do, but not every day.

You can get a used Chromebook for 100. My experience with bluetooth keyboard on an android tablet is really bad. Every time you start typing, you have to tap the space or whatever key a couple times to wake it up.

Using a bt keyboard on a w8 tablet is slightly better, I would call it "barely usable".

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Feb 7, 2015

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

whatever7 posted:

You can get a used Chromebook for 100.
This is good advice. My wife has a Chromebook 14 and it's just great. Even the most poo poo-tastic Chromebook will be better than a Bluetooth keyboard and in the end Chromebooks are fabulous when you just want something simple around.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

sd6 posted:

Actually there's some spots showing up under the screen now, so the LCD is hosed. Sweet!
If you bought it from the Google Play Store they might send you a free replacement. Wouldn't hurt to give them a call.

Thermopyle posted:

I've struggled with this whole idea in the past and gave up on it. I do use some USB charger hubs to good effect (I think they're Anker ones with 5 or 6 ports...I don't have it in front of me), but the retractable cables don't do much to clean up the mess because they just kind of dangle there and they only retract reliably for awhile before you've got to start messing with them to get them to retract.

There are different boxes and things you can get that you can store the whole mess in and only stick the end of the cables out. Kind of like this one that I don't really like the looks of but was the first result for a Google of "charging station".
If anyone is looking for one of these they're usually $15-20 at discount stores like Marshalls, TJ Maxx, and Burlington Coat Factory.

pandaK posted:

Are those tempered glass screen protectors worth it? If so, does anyone have any suggestions for the Note 4 and Note Edge?
I'm a huge fan of Mime Ghost Glass, for the Note 4 it's $28 but it's a much higher quality than others I've tried.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Massasoit posted:

Yeah, $50 is cheaper, but a $100 chromebook is like so much better its not even funny.

For $125, I bought a refurbished Acer C720p which is arguably the best Chromebook, and I love the thing.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Thermopyle posted:

Yeah, $50 is cheaper, but a $100 chromebook is like so much better its not even funny.

For $125, I bought a refurbished Acer C720p which is arguably the best Chromebook, and I love the thing.

Wow, real helpful. The guy wants to type on his 5" phone with a full sized keyboard during meetings, and you come up with this?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

RVProfootballer posted:

Wow, real helpful. The guy wants to type on his 5" phone with a full sized keyboard during meetings, and you come up with this?

When the best answer is "what you are trying to do isn't going to work well, here are some alternatives..." then yes, it is a good answer.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Thermopyle posted:

I just ordered a Toshiba Chromebook. Is the Acer superior enough to warrant cancelling and switching to the Acer?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

RVProfootballer posted:

Because trying to type on a tiny rear end device with an adult sized keyboard is a recipe for annoying.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

RVProfootballer posted:

You can't use a keyboard on a phone. It just doesn't work. There are alternatives designed for this very thing.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Do Chromebooks work without an internet connection?

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I gotta hand it to HTC. My m7 (carrier version) I got in may 2013 on JB, recieved kit kat and today it got pushed 5.0.2. First time I've had a handset actually get two OS bumps. It's a nice change of pace from the one major update and that's about it of previous generations.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

RVProfootballer posted:

Because a Chromebook is not meaningfully heavier/larger than a Bluetooth keyboard and a massively better solution. Comparative cost is a concern though.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
ffs :thejoke:

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Massasoit posted:

My Nokia e90 was perfect for this pre-iPhone revolution, it should be possible to refresh this with a modern touch screen on both sides and get a decent thickness nowadays

It was the only physical keyboard phone that was actually better than what we have today.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Nobody will build another physical keyboard phone ever, maybe it's time to kickstart something.

What's the deal with Moto G mk1 and Lollipop? I just checked if my parents' unlocked global GSM (purchased in the US) phones got updated and they have not, still on 4.4.something. Doing the manual update check doesn't do anything either.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

mobby_6kl posted:

What's the deal with Moto G mk1 and Lollipop?

Motorola says we'll get it. I don't mind waiting if it means a more polished Lollipop hitting my phone.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I thought you were enjoying the ride to be honest!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Manky posted:

Motorola says we'll get it. I don't mind waiting if it means a more polished Lollipop hitting my phone.

Whoa ok thanks! I was certain I read it was already being pushed out like a month if not two ago and so thought it was just a matter of staggered release or something like that. I actually have little desire for Lollipop (especially in its current state), and just wanted to test the new NFC WiFi password share feature. That I now realized the G doesn't have anyway.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

mobby_6kl posted:

Whoa ok thanks! I was certain I read it was already being pushed out like a month if not two ago and so thought it was just a matter of staggered release or something like that.

You're not wrong, it did pop up in India a month or two ago.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Manky posted:

My Moto Maxx isn't on the list... :ohdear:

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy
Picked up a Nexus 6 after my LG G2 bit the dust. Also ended up with a gift card to Best Buy who of course, carry no kinds of anything for the Nexus 6. Any case/screen protector recommendations? Or other accessories. The wireless charging sounds cool, but for 50 bucks it's a bit steep...

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

isndl posted:

My Moto Maxx isn't on the list... :ohdear:
The Droid Turbo is right there.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Dohaeris posted:

Picked up a Nexus 6 after my LG G2 bit the dust. Also ended up with a gift card to Best Buy who of course, carry no kinds of anything for the Nexus 6. Any case/screen protector recommendations? Or other accessories. The wireless charging sounds cool, but for 50 bucks it's a bit steep...

Diztronic TPU case is goon approved. Tylt Vu is pretty cool but turbo charging is better.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Speaking of Tylt Vu the car charger is finally out (only available in gray pad so far, the other colors aren't out yet). I'm getting one because the iOttie wireless charger mount clips aren't wide and deep enough for my Note4 w/ case.

I don't really like the base of the mount, but hopefully if the pad isn't as good as the iOttie's and it's a standard ball thing I'll just use one of my iOttie bases.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Dohaeris posted:

Supcase Unicorn Beetle case and Mime Ghost Glass screen protector.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ruby idiot railed posted:

Speaking of Tylt Vu the car charger is finally out (only available in gray pad so far, the other colors aren't out yet). I'm getting one because the iOttie wireless charger mount clips aren't wide and deep enough for my Note4 w/ case.

I don't really like the base of the mount, but hopefully if the pad isn't as good as the iOttie's and it's a standard ball thing I'll just use one of my iOttie bases.

Someone with a Nexus 6 get this and tell me if it works if you leave a case on your phone.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

ruby idiot railed posted:

Ugh I want this but the fuckin Saudis made it cost $139 Cdn.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Someone with a Nexus 6 get this and tell me if it works if you leave a case on your phone.

Considering the Vu works fine I'm sure it would too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Reverse Centaur posted:

Considering the Vu works fine I'm sure it would too?

That make sense, ok. I've been looking for a new car holder and this one caught my eye but I'll be damned if I have to take my phone out of the case every time.