Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I think I've noticed with my Grave Robber party that I surprise the enemy more often than they surprise me in 0-light. I'm not sure if that's confirmation bias or a real thing that's happening, but I've assumed that there's something besides light that plays in to surprise rates, like Speed.

e: I don't like bonus loot as a reward for low-light because I don't have room to carry it home :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I'm not convinced that surprise boosts aren't bugged and actually increase your chance of being surprised, because I always seem to be surprised immediately after using a camp move that reduce surprise chance.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Lotish posted:

I'm not convinced that surprise boosts aren't bugged and actually increase your chance of being surprised, because I always seem to be surprised immediately after using a camp move that reduce surprise chance.
Haha, yeah. I've actually stopped using that skill because it seems useless. It never occurred to me that it might just be flat out bugged to work in reverse.

Teslavi
May 28, 2006
Ridiculous.

Lotish posted:

Do you mean the vestal sanctuary skill, or highwayman's bandit sense? Bandit sense seems to work fine for me. I recall using sanctuary maybe once and getting ambushed, then decided it wasn't worth spending 5 cost on that skill anyway.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

Mr.Citrus posted:

Anyone know how to cheat in some gold? I Go to take on necromancer with last 3k gold, only medium dungeons available, and it crashed, took my gold, and is making me re-provision for the run. I have zero mooks i wish to suicide right now. :smithicide:

Edit: just crashed same way, eating remaining 1k gold, and a third time. Fourth run with zero provisions is working though! thanks game!

So, every one of my team had a positive stress reaction that run. I'm never expecting that to happen again. Highwayman, helion, and leper AOE squad is pretty viable. Generally speaking it's two turns to kill the first three monsters. I never got a starvation event the entire medium dungeon and the zoo light resulted in 14k worth of items.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

FrickenMoron posted:

Your guys will stop going into level 1 dungeons at 3, you can't do that.

Yes, I know. Isn't that what I said? That is probably why they put in the restriction so you cant grind to max level with no danger in level 1 dungeons.

Edit: Speaking of leveling up. Do you get EXP for kills or just a chunk for completing the dungeon?

Demicol fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Feb 7, 2015

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Does the Plague Doctor ever stop sucking? Mine has failed to Heal Affliction all four times I've tried it and doesn't seem to have any real offense besides the whole 'stun the enemy back row' thing, which is of limited utility if I've killed any enemies yet (which I want to be doing to reduce incoming fire)

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Demicol posted:

Yes, I know. Isn't that what I said? That is probably why they put in the restriction so you cant grind to max level with no danger in level 1 dungeons.

Edit: Speaking of leveling up. Do you get EXP for kills or just a chunk for completing the dungeon?

Only for completing a quest. You can kill everything in a dungeon and if you don't find the thing you're supposed to activate or go into the last room or whatever the terms of your quest are you'll get nothing but the loot, some stress and a greater chance of negative quirks.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Plague doctor can be ok-ish for certain goals, mostly if you're trying to stack the gently caress out of some +dmg, and need some removals on your guys. Her camp options are a lot of healing and stuff, so perhaps an option could be explored to run no healer, using removal to keep dot damage low and the buff to up your damage guys otherwise. It would probably only work in some of the dungeons, but already some strategy only works in some of them. For instance, don't try a stun comp in the swine place, they're way resistant to that poo poo.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

gently caress the Hag. That is all.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Someone mentioned earlier you can check out assets for the game in its folders.

Well if you want to spoil yourselves they also have unused art in there, like for the Cove monsters

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Night10194 posted:

Does the Plague Doctor ever stop sucking? Mine has failed to Heal Affliction all four times I've tried it and doesn't seem to have any real offense besides the whole 'stun the enemy back row' thing, which is of limited utility if I've killed any enemies yet (which I want to be doing to reduce incoming fire)
It's only good right now for stunning the back ranks. If you don't have that ability, I would not bring him.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Zaphod42 posted:

Course on the Pig if you pick the wrong strategy its pretty much a wipe forcing you to learn the hard way, which is also kinda dumb.

I don't see how. When I first fought the Swine I tried to kill Wilbur first because attacking the back row is usually the right move. Right after the Swine chopped my party, one of my guys shouted "Attacking the little one enrages the giant!". It flat out tells you that hitting Wilbur is a bad idea and if you continue to do it its your own drat fault for not listening. If that one attack is enough to ruin you then its also your fault for trying to fight a new boss with a battered group.

I'm of two minds on the Hag...one one hand I do agree with most of what has been said about her being bullshit the first time you fight her. I kind of liked that though? My first Hag fight was a catastrophic failure which made the boss really memorable to me. Its really unique in how it takes away control and does horrible things to your party members, regardless of how much of a badass they might be. I suppose a fair solution would be to make the pot only one square wide but have it work the same way. That would let most classes hit the Hag, albeit for poor damage depending on your setup. Maybe have the pot upgrade to two tiles on the later fights.

Necromancer absolutely needs to be buffed since he's a joke.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Night10194 posted:

At higher skill levels, noxious blast can do 7-10 on the attack and accrue 3-4 dmg per turn after. Stack them high and you can rack up an impressive amount of damage per turn. Incision has a fairly sick crit rate and inflicts decent bleed. She's not bad, it's just that all the other damage dealers and support characters are better at their roles than her. And I think you just hit an RNG streak or something with Battlefield Medicine - I'd peg the failure rate at like 5-10%, which is probably just a basic chance for failure on all rolls that also accounts for how characters with 0 DOD can sometimes dodge attacks.

So, no there's no real reason to use her unless you like her camp skills. Which are pretty good.

Two new complaints:
1) Why the hell don't Occultist curses rise in efficacy as you level the skill? loving basic chaff enemies have like 60% debuff resist by mid-game.
2) Why is the chance to resist move attacks hidden? That's poor design.

paranoid randroid fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Feb 8, 2015

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Internet Kraken posted:

Necromancer absolutely needs to be buffed since he's a joke.

The level 2 Necromancer is no joke. I'm still trying to build up my ranks again for a rematch.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

Waffle! posted:

The level 2 Necromancer is no joke. I'm still trying to build up my ranks again for a rematch.

All the bosses are about party design and getting there in good shape. If your party doesn't have good synergy, you're hosed. If your guys are low on health and sanity from random encounters, you're hosed. Otherwise, there's definitely doable.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I love the character designs for this game. They get things across really well.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Night10194 posted:

I love the character designs for this game. They get things across really well.

My new favorite detail is that the Occultist went to a liberal arts university and did poorly in anatomy class.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
For the "explore 90% of rooms" quest goal, is the starting room included in the calculation?

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
I just started, and during the tutorial missed the "Click here to end the quest pop-up" so I walked my lone surviving crusader back and forth a bit, during which the torch died. Before I went back to the exit and ended the quest, I managed to give him a pathological fear of the dark from wandering around alone in the dark, I presume. This game owns.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

paranoid randroid posted:

My new favorite detail is that the Occultist went to a liberal arts university and did poorly in anatomy class.

My Vestal just developed an obsession with killing after pulling a clutch crit when she got dragged forward by a cultist. This is gonna be a great game.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
My favorite detail is that each character reacts differently to breaking from stress. An abusive Plague Doctor will call her allies idiots with no common sense. A masochistic Leper will complain every time the enemy hits someone other than him because he really wants to die. An irrational Jester will do nothing but laugh and laugh and laugh.

It almost makes me want to intentionally stress out more guys so I can see all the different things they say.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

My favorite detail is that each character reacts differently to breaking from stress. An abusive Plague Doctor will call her allied idiots with no common sense. A masochistic Leper will complain every time the enemy hits someone other than him because he really wants to die. An irrational Jester will do nothing but laugh and laugh and laugh.

It almost makes me want to intentionally stress out more guys so I can see all the different things they say.

Irrational lepers spout nonsensical koans about blossoms and leaves and poo poo and then hit themselves. Fearful vestals cry a lot.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

paranoid randroid posted:

At higher skill levels, noxious blast can do 7-10 on the attack and accrue 3-4 dmg per turn after. Stack them high and you can rack up an impressive amount of damage per turn. Incision has a fairly sick crit rate and inflicts decent bleed. She's not bad, it's just that all the other damage dealers and support characters are better at their roles than her.
'Bad' is always relative. She may not be worthless, but if all the other damage dealers and support characters are better than her then yes, she is bad.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

Low damage Crits doing crazy amounts of stress need to be fixed, as do stress causing abilities critting. I had a party go insane by 4 crits by a big bandit (doing the hit everyone with a bleed move which crits for 2 damage) did a total of 8 damage and 89 stress. Then my a team took a crit ghoul yell for 78 stress. I'm pretty sure the intent of this game is that your choices are what dooms your party, not random instagibs. I'd say this game would be better overall if all crits were removed.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.
I just got the game a couple of nights ago and I'm loving it so far. I just beat my first boss, the Necromancer Apprentice. I had real money problems until I learned about the dismiss button and started getting rid of level 0 high stress characters unless they had some good traits. I'm on the 28th week and only lost two characters, and one of them was intentional (they sucked and I didn't know about the dismiss button).

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
afflictions are not that bad depending on which ones you get. some of them even gives you buffs to some stats. like abusive gives 15% bonus damage or something like it. people going through the data have found a lot of interesting stuff

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Just killed the swine prince on my first try, was barely hurt. 3 crits in a row by my barbarian lady sure helped, and the swine prince missing a bunch also helped.

I'm now rolling in gold, have my buildings about as upgraded as they need to be, and am having a much better time of things. This game really needs to flip it's difficulty curve. It's extremely stressful and seems confusing/unfair at level 0 but then gets easier as you go, it should be the opposite. Make the level 1 dungeons easier and the upper levels harder. Then again I don't know about the upper levels, I've yet to actually attempt level 3+ dungeons. I keep getting people to level 3 then shelving them then raising up more people.

For some reason stress is a non-issue for the most part now too. The little stress I get is undone in-battle by my guys celebrating crits, and I've figured out how to keep the back-row stress inducers dead, stunned, or pulled out of position.

I'm trying to give more classes a try. My default party is usually always a cleric, highwayman, then a leaper, crusader, or hellion x2. Plague doctor, occultist, grave robber, jester... I've tried them out but keep going back to my tried and tested party. Are those other classes just less good or are there special ways to use them?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
They're good and have their uses. The plague doctor is the most lackluster.

Honestly you've hit the same point most of us have. You can do the later content but it's mostly the same stuff.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It's hard to design a game about giving you more abilities and options and improving your guys and not accidentally invert the difficulty curve.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

Just killed the swine prince on my first try, was barely hurt. 3 crits in a row by my barbarian lady sure helped, and the swine prince missing a bunch also helped.

I'm now rolling in gold, have my buildings about as upgraded as they need to be, and am having a much better time of things. This game really needs to flip it's difficulty curve. It's extremely stressful and seems confusing/unfair at level 0 but then gets easier as you go, it should be the opposite. Make the level 1 dungeons easier and the upper levels harder. Then again I don't know about the upper levels, I've yet to actually attempt level 3+ dungeons. I keep getting people to level 3 then shelving them then raising up more people.

For some reason stress is a non-issue for the most part now too. The little stress I get is undone in-battle by my guys celebrating crits, and I've figured out how to keep the back-row stress inducers dead, stunned, or pulled out of position.

I'm trying to give more classes a try. My default party is usually always a cleric, highwayman, then a leaper, crusader, or hellion x2. Plague doctor, occultist, grave robber, jester... I've tried them out but keep going back to my tried and tested party. Are those other classes just less good or are there special ways to use them?

I don't think you get to complain about an inverse difficulty curve when you haven't even advanced along said curve. There is no perfect solution for the gap between a unfamiliar player's experience and a veteran player's experience. Tutorials help, but are often ignored or misinterpreted, and attempting to keep an up to date and understandable tutorial before the finished balance is pretty much futile. I do, actually, find that the later dungeons require more of me than the earlier dungeons. They're also harder to recover from if things go terribly wrong. The early dungeons can often be trivialized by having everyone attack slot 2, or having a single multi-stun in your party. The later dungeons with the same parties require a decision in each fight whether to reduce incoming HP damage or incoming stress damage first. I can routinely crush an apprentice dungeon with whatever party of 4 scrubs I scrape out of the wagon. I don't think I could manage the same with 4 random but upgraded heroes in a veteran or champion dungeon.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I hope there are significant updates to the game soon. I recognize the game for what it is as a really nice demo, but I can see the general Steam user masses turning on the game real quick when they see how easy the game gets after 8-10 hours. When you're just bringing un-upgraded level 0 or 1 guys into a dungeon in the first few weeks, it's brutally hard. Every once in a while I run out of gold by accident and have to go through that again with fresh recruits and it's nail-biting (well, only when I don't remember that these are expendable guys I'm just using to generate cash and then let go). The game is easy to "solve", and there's multiple ways to do that, evidenced by how everyone has their favorite unbeatable party plan.

Still an excellent demo and the full version will be even better, no doubt in my mind. They need to make the micromanagement stuff like managing traits and trinkets have a better interface, because I have a feeling that's kind of end-game character stuff and it's super clunky right now.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
The general steam masses can't even get out of the tutorial dungeon without restarting the game a few times before asking for a refund. I think we're OKAY. okay maybe not

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
only the PD is a bit weak. hellion and vestral need changes though because they feel abusive. Jester has a great concept mechanics wise with the "start in back, jump into the front" thing, but i feel his backline support abilites promote some very annoying playstyles. Leper is mostly great but he feels super limited considering he has no mobility skills and has to have one of the first 2 positions. All the others are amazing though.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Internet Kraken posted:

My favorite detail is that each character reacts differently to breaking from stress. An abusive Plague Doctor will call her allies idiots with no common sense. A masochistic Leper will complain every time the enemy hits someone other than him because he really wants to die. An irrational Jester will do nothing but laugh and laugh and laugh.

I love these touches, they tie in so well thematically. I haven't seen nearly all of them yet, and I kind of want to make a level 0 group and let them all max out on stress just to see all the different afflictions.

Masochistic Hellions have some great lines, and mine also kept marking herself with the target debuff and yelling for enemies to hit her. Then she refused healing at camp

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I don't get how people are saying it's harder early on. It's super easy early on, with the only tough part being the first run since you only got a Plague Doctor and Vestal with possibly poor abilities. Lv.3+ dungeons are super hard.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
I like how the jester is setup. He's really powerful in a group but you can't really bring a healer as having a healer and a jester tanks your damage output too much. It's a neat little thing and like how it's setup.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
early game has a really random difficulty???

I have the most fun in the game when it feels like i have no chance of completing a mission so the whole thing with being able to get an advantage from abandoning a mission kinda ruins the game for me. I want to send people to their dooms and have them sometimes complete the mission despite the fact that it was almost impossible.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Genocyber posted:

I don't get how people are saying it's harder early on. It's super easy early on, with the only tough part being the first run since you only got a Plague Doctor and Vestal with possibly poor abilities. Lv.3+ dungeons are super hard.

Really? Because at this point I'm making GBS threads out so much damage that unless something has a particular gimmick like the Hag I can crush it in a hurry. I haven't had to destress anyone who's gone into 3+ dungeons because they own anything they meet before it can cause stress or damage.

Are you using the camp abilities that buff damage, accuracy and crit? They make things much easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth

Red Mundus posted:

I like how the jester is setup. He's really powerful in a group but you can't really bring a healer as having a healer and a jester tanks your damage output too much. It's a neat little thing and like how it's setup.

you can play jester vestral occultist PD just fine. If you put 4 random guys in positions where they have abilites they can use then you have a pretty good team.