Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Akumos posted:

Can someone give me a few good party setups for early game, or some advice? I cleared one dungeon then kept wiping while my party was de-stressing because I had to use 2 jesters lmao. I have no idea how to get through these dungeons early on, feels like my heals are too low, gold is too low and I'm always stressed.

I have found alot of success with a Hellion up front, a Bounty Hunter behind her with the repositioning skills and flashbang, an occultist behind him to heal and so weird poo poo, and a throwing specced graverobber in the rear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Early game, stuns and back row attacks are key. A Crusader with their stun attack and/or a Hellion with Yawp goes a long way towards making any fight easier to manage. If you can couple a continuous stun on the most dangerous front row opponent with the ability to direct multiple attacks at the 3rd slot, you can really reduce the damage and stress your party takes.

Speed is also really important, because killing an enemy before they can attack is better than spending a turn to heal up that damage afterwards.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Akumos posted:

Can someone give me a few good party setups for early game, or some advice? I cleared one dungeon then kept wiping while my party was de-stressing because I had to use 2 jesters lmao. I have no idea how to get through these dungeons early on, feels like my heals are too low, gold is too low and I'm always stressed.

Vestal in back is always a safe option, but don't use her for heals until the end of a fight, use her for stuns first. Don't start with a Leper until you can compensate for his lack of accuracy, because you don't want to spend too much time buffing with Focus.

Hellion is extremely good to have around, Use her 3 range bleed attack and her 3 hit Aoe, along with her basic attack to hit the front, and probably yawp (good for stun lock stalling to heal up)

Anything else is whatever you want, Highwayman for a 2nd 3 hit AoE attack to clear poo poo with Hellion, or more stuns

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Read the guide in the OP if you haven't.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Just triple AoE everything

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

If you have the choice between stunning someone and getting a kill, take the kill:black101:

You could stun the cultist in the middle that's been driving everyone insane, but that rear end in a top hat archer with 2 HP will be gunning for your healer as soon as your turn's over. Be as merciless to the game as it is to you.

Also run when things aren't going well, and if you're thinking about pressing on or looking for trouble after completing a quest, don't.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Waffle! posted:

Also run when things aren't going well, and if you're thinking about pressing on or looking for trouble after completing a quest, don't.

I still do this sometimes. "What could POSSIBLY go wrong???!!!"

don't

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Waffle! posted:

Also run when things aren't going well, and if you're thinking about pressing on ... don't.
If a dungeon run leading up to a boss gave you trouble and you care about anyone in the party, abandon the mission

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
I didn't get a Hellion OR a Leper in my first 3 choices of people, so lol. 3 rounds of choices, not first 3 members. I got a Barb, a bunch of Occulists/evil spell caster dudes/Bounty Hunters and healers with 2 Jesters.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Do you somehow get a free trinket at the start or something? I started up a new game to test some things, played it a bit, and now I have a Cleansing Crystal in my trinket inventory that I don't remember where it came from. I would have noticed!

I guess it must be a town thing; I saw my trunk pulsing with an exclamation point.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Feb 8, 2015

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

I got one early on as well, no idea where. Could it be a quest?

e:

...why

Jackard fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Feb 8, 2015

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Do you somehow get a free trinket at the start or something? I started up a new game to test some things, played it a bit, and now I have a Cleansing Crystal in my trinket inventory that I don't remember where it came from. I would have noticed!

I guess it must be a town thing; I saw my trunk pulsing with an exclamation point.

My Hellion won a trinket after I sent her gambling. It wasn't that good, but free trinket!

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

All my guys are starting to look the same so thinking of giving myself a handicap, "You can level skills but not learn them."

Sound reasonable?

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Akumos posted:

The early game can be pretty unforgiving due to the time and money it takes for your units take to recover from stress. At the beginning of the game you do not have the resources to actually manage stress as fast as you're getting it unless you already know some of the higher level strategies for avoiding stress. So the thing that worked for me was to basically write off some of the party members who were high stress until I had excess money later. You're gonna end up having 3 to 4 to 5 full teams in your roster, and so your first few runs are probably going to end up being completely different teams.

So don't bother using anybody twice until your roster is full of recruits from the Stagecoach. Getting 4 new guys every week is the thing you should upgrade first, if you don't already have it. During the first 3-4 runs you do you can concentrate on getting enough stuff to upgrade the Tavern/Abbey to lower the costs and increase the number of slots there. That way when you happen to have a lucky run a bit later you can destress a lot the guys you got in the first few weeks, and then start using them again.

The other thing you can do is proactively churn your units a little bit. If one of your units has gone insane or has high stress you should check their quirks. Think about if it's worth dumping money into them in order to use them again. If there's nothing about them that you like then just cut your losses. Delete them, and then refill with a new recruit from the Stagecoach. It takes about 1000 gold to bring someone's stress level down. It costs nothing to refill from the Stagecoach. There's not really much of a difference between a Level 0 and a Level 1 beyond the Level 1 probably having more negative quirks and more stress from a previous engagement.

The game's hinting in the dialogue about "some people are just not meant for this," is pretty clear. Pouring a bunch of money into everyone to try to keep all of them in your roster is a losing proposition in the early game. So manage it like a sports team or something. Keep the people who are useful and aren't unencumbered by too many drastically negative quirks, and tell the other people to get lost. Over time you'll start to get a handle on which characters are going to be worth it to pour money into.

The last tip I can recommend is that characters can go out on short 100% room battle missions with 30-40 stress, and it can go completely fine. Paying to destress is going to cost around 1000 gold, and it'll remove between 50-80 stress. So try to prioritize destressing only the most highly stressed units at the beginning. Re-use the ones that are at a small amount of stress. If it's some Level 1 that ends up going insane on the next run, but you manage to finish, then you'll have gotten 2 missions worth of money out of that unit without having had to spend any gold on them yet. If they're a pile of awful negative quirks by the end of it then delete them, and if they turn out to be pretty good then you can destress and start purchasing/upgrading skills.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Feb 8, 2015

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Alternatively read the guide in the OP which covers all of that already :V

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Kyrosiris posted:

Yeah, it's a good line. I also like the one about overconfidence being a slow and insidious killer.

That's my favorite line since its probably the most apt description of this game. At the end of the day, hubris will be a greater obstacle to your guys survival than any beast you encounter in the dungeon.

The narrator is pretty great but I hope gets some more lines about specific things. The fact that he needs to chime in every time you run into a wall gets pretty old, mainly because he's super over dramatic about a pile of rocks.

"Even the COLD STONE seems intent on blocking passage! :negative:"

Dude I've got a shovel right here there's no reason to get so worked up.

Jackard posted:

I got one early on as well, no idea where. Could it be a quest?

e:

...why

I've seen some very baffling trinkets that go beyond just "bad" too "this seems like something meant for an entirely different class". There's one that in exchange for a bunch of nasty downsides gives a boost to stun chance, blight chance, and bleed chance. Its exclusive to the Vestal, the class with one mediocre stun and no bleed/blight skills whatsoever :confused:

buildmorefarms
Aug 13, 2004

любоваться
Doctor Rope
Made it through everything 'available' at present as far as I can see - definitely great fun while it lasted, but some laughably poo poo design decisions

- dialogue boxes obscuring interactive parts of the screen, dialogue stopping all actions, finicky clicking on interactables when your characters are too close to them

- speed stat not consistently producing the same turn order, or at least not explaining why the former is the way the game works. stat explanation all round is very bare, but that makes sense given its EA status

- no indicator (unless I've missed it completely) indicating which players/enemies still have turns left to make in each round

- trinkets range from boring to useless

- stress from critical hits the same regardless of crit damage; both an status crit of 1dmg and a melee crit of 20 will both cause ~15 stress; should be tied in with percentage of total health.

- loot risk/reward bordering on ridiculous, close to zero incentive to open any interactable container that might give your character a bad perk

- possible to get bad perks from standard enemy attacks

- your castle is the only object of permanence, but it's not fun/rewarding to upgrade

Looking forward to seeing how the above are addressed either prior to or at release; as it stands I don't see myself playing more of the same unless the campaign introduces some map variety beyond what we've seen so far.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
all the interactables are stacked in your favor risk wise. if you click on everything you will end up ahead in the long term even if you dont use any items on them. someone posted all the percentages on reddit taken from the code.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the issue is you very well might end up with a full inventory without opening any likely-trapped objects

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Yeah I feel like they have diminished returns. Even the ones that give you quirks can do more harm than good if they overwrite a quirk you like

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Welp the appentice necromancer was too much for me. killed my vestal too :(

Kaincypher
Apr 24, 2008
been playing since the beginning of Early Access. Killed the Necro Apprentice and Hog Prince no prob. I am scurred of the Hag witch after reading the comments, especially some hints about a murder cauldron? Should I take a party of worthless newbs to figure out the Hag's combat style before bringing in my ringers?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Kaincypher posted:

been playing since the beginning of Early Access. Killed the Necro Apprentice and Hog Prince no prob. I am scurred of the Hag witch after reading the comments, especially some hints about a murder cauldron? Should I take a party of worthless newbs to figure out the Hag's combat style before bringing in my ringers?

Just make sure everyone in your party has a way to attack one of the back two rows.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Kaincypher posted:

Beware, running from her while someone is in the cauldron = gone forever

And chances are someone is always in the cauldron

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Kaincypher posted:

There's pretty much nothing to figure out. As soon as the fight starts you will feel inclined to do X. You will discover that doing X doesn't really get you anywhere. So you just rush down the Hag instead and that's where all the stories begin about bringing people who can hit the back ranks.

It's just a boring and dumb fight and you are punished a little too severely if you brought a Leper and the RNG does not favor you (he can have a use on this fight but it's ultimately pointless). Which is a shame because the theme of the fight is pretty hilariously morbid!

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Feb 8, 2015

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Okay, camping is probably the dumbest part of this game.

Here's a way to heal in the middle of a dungeon!

Oh by the way you get surprised after it so all that healing and stress relief is pointless.

I would have literally been able to beat the hag if I hadn't rested just to squeeze some healing out of it, but then the surprise attack after it drove my healer insane and then she kept moving around and screwing up my ability to actually hit the hag.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
Maybe I'll just stream tonight and let goons tell me what I'm doing wrong, idk.

Daemonlasher
Dec 31, 2012

SOULS?
Got absolutely demolished at the Swine Prince, didn't know his mechanic going in so I tagged the little one with my plague doctors Blight Grenades because he debuffed my party. I figured, kill the debuffer and then the big one.
It tells me after I get smashed by the Prince that he's angered I hit the little one, so I figure, if I just bleed the little one out maybe he won't?

Turns out after you kill the little one, the Prince will just use it's enrage attack every single turn.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Dackel posted:

The map scouting procs from looting a bag usually only scouts the hallways.

Usually but not always. I had one map that I found in the very first corridor which mapped out the entire dungeon. Easiest run ever!

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Blackray Jack posted:

Does anyone else get all :unsmith: when, after a tough battle that gravely voice chimes in with "These nightmarish creatures CAN be felled! They CAN be beaten!"? In a tough game like this, that actually means ALOT and can be pretty encouraging.

iirc that's your ancestor talking, the rear end in a top hat who started all this and is basically responsible for completely making GBS threads the bed and then foisting this nightmare hellhole to you before offing himself.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down
Regarding camp ability buffs (eg clean guns) does the bonus last a specific amount of time? Permanent for the whole dungeon afterwards, or until next camp?

The "scout until next camp" ones are obvious, but I wasn't sure about the stat bonus ones.
If the buff duration is long or permanent, I should really be camping way earlier for accuracy/crit buffs since my party loadouts don't often have issues with stress anymore.

Still liking
vestal/grave robber/crusader/hellion
vestal/grave robber/crusader/highwayman

Point blank shot is great, and both setups are fairly ambush resistant. Grave robber + highwayman can also just run crit chains, and I just found a +20 accuracy -1% crit trinket for ranged attacks.
I guess the crusader could get swapped for a another hellion for really silly amounts of facestabbing and bleed, but I like the variety, and the occasional ability to tank big hits with the protection buff in some fights although holy lance is his real utility in this setup.

I'm sure occultist / bounty hunter /jester could be good with specific setups and care but the above setups are just so simple to use.

e: Also, regarding trinkets I've resorted to hiring random schmucks off the wagon, filling their inventories with garbage and immediately kicking them out the front door. Enjoy being thrown into the wilds with all that -SPD and -stress resist along with all the other insanity inducing horrors!

animatorZed fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Feb 8, 2015

cyanidewolf
Sep 1, 2007

Truly the corgiest of goodposts

animatorZed posted:

e: Also, regarding trinkets I've resorted to hiring random schmucks off the wagon, filling their inventories with garbage and immediately kicking them out the front door. Enjoy being thrown into the wilds with all that -SPD and -stress resist along with all the other insanity inducing horrors!

Pretty sure you can just shift-click the trinkets in the trinket inventory to get rid of them. That, and the fact that the inventory expands means you can just store all the +bleed-vestal-only-trinkets in the hopes that they patch them into something useful.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

cyanidewolf posted:

That, and the fact that the inventory expands means you can just store all the +bleed-vestal-only-trinkets in the hopes that they patch them into something useful.

Wait what? When/how does this happen?
When I've had a full box, I've been unable to offload trinkets off my characters. Does the box have to be full and you come back from a dungeon with a trinket reward for this?

cyanidewolf
Sep 1, 2007

Truly the corgiest of goodposts

animatorZed posted:

Wait what? When/how does this happen?
When I've had a full box, I've been unable to offload trinkets off my characters. Does the box have to be full and you come back from a dungeon with a trinket reward for this?

You can't expand it by unloading, but yes, you can expand it through missions or by buying from the vendor. I currently have 47 trinkets in mine.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I beat the hag. Team shank pulled through, but the cost was great. Dimas got killed thanks to some multi-turn shenanigans then the healer went because my occultist was too busy stabbing rear end and taking names before Howard popped out of the pot and got killed to bother with her. So the occultist and Howard are alive and they're my go-to dudes now I guess.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Nuebot posted:

Okay, camping is probably the dumbest part of this game.

Here's a way to heal in the middle of a dungeon!

Oh by the way you get surprised after it so all that healing and stress relief is pointless.

I would have literally been able to beat the hag if I hadn't rested just to squeeze some healing out of it, but then the surprise attack after it drove my healer insane and then she kept moving around and screwing up my ability to actually hit the hag.
I dunno, I feel like the camping is almost always worth it in terms of HP/stress/buffs, and that's not even counting that the vestal(which are in almost everyone's party composition?) has a camp ability specifically to prevent surprise attacks. I think there are others, too, but I haven't used them because I always have a vestal.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Slaapaav posted:

all the interactables are stacked in your favor risk wise. if you click on everything you will end up ahead in the long term even if you dont use any items on them. someone posted all the percentages on reddit taken from the code.

Do you have a link for this?

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts
Darkest Dungeon Curio Interactions

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Kaincypher posted:

3 hellions and a vestal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
It's worth noting that DoT effects are particularly effective against The Hag. Bleeds and blights tick any time the afflicted is about to take an action, and one of the Hag's traits is that she takes multiple actions per round. You DoT attacks end of delivering their damage very, very quickly. My Jester did the vast majority of the total damage to her just by using Slice Off every round.