Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trochanter
Sep 14, 2007

It ain't no sin
to take off your skin, And dance around in your bones!

Crazy Ted posted:

As good a place as any to post this:

:ohdear: $1.77 million in fines for a thousand serious accidents on a company with revenues of $3.8 billion!? When will the government take its regulatory jackboot off the necks of hardworking small businesses!

Trochanter fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Feb 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Trochanter posted:

:ohdear: $1.77 million in fines for a thousand safety violations on a company with revenues of $3.8 billion!? When will the government take its regulatory jackboot off the necks of hardworking small businesses!
Well there's probably a prescribed maximum that the government can fine a business for each violation. Cool fact I just thought about : if I remember correctly, one of my aunts works at this factory. At the very least, she works at an Ashley's factory in Wisconsin.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

The reason no one gives a poo poo about the OHSA is because their fines are pathetically low. It's a similar issue over here with the HSE but over here at least the HSE can obtain a court order mandating those changes or you face jail time for it.

Like seriously I think 3 people died in a corn silo accident in the states like a year ago and the OHSA went "We're issuing our MAXIMUM FINE for this grave occurance, 10000 dollars per instance or 30000 dollars for 3 corpses."

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Drone_Fragger posted:

The reason no one gives a poo poo about the OHSA is because their fines are pathetically low. It's a similar issue over here with the HSE but over here at least the HSE can obtain a court order mandating those changes or you face jail time for it.

Like seriously I think 3 people died in a corn silo accident in the states like a year ago and the OHSA went "We're issuing our MAXIMUM FINE for this grave occurance, 10000 dollars per instance or 30000 dollars for 3 corpses."
There's got to be something more that they can or will do. When I was in high school I worked at a Wal-Mart (dumbest decision I ever made) that racked up so many Child Labor Law violations that shortly after I left I found out that the store was no longer hiring people under the age of 18.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Crazy Ted posted:

As good a place as any to post this:

One thousand accidents in three years. The plant was literally having a serious accident every day for three years :stare:

I would imagine they have a lost and found bin specifically for fingers and toes.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
http://i.imgur.com/pywWh8V.gifv

Not pictured: The 20 attempts where the other guy kept getting hit in the head or shoulder or leg by the hammer

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

OSHA regulations would have a lot more teeth if fines were just set as: for any violation, the minimum fine is 0.5% of the company's annual revenues (not profits, gross revenues) and the maximum fine is up to 50% of a company's annual revenues. Instead of fixed dollar amounts. So if you're a tiny small business and you have a power strip that should have been secured, you maybe pay a $500 fine. But if you're a huge multi-billion-dollar corporation, your fines start at a minimum of five million bucks and just go up a lot from there.

Not those specific percentages necessarily, but you get what I mean. The money from fines should go towards compensating victims, research into safety practices and better PPE, or the general fund... not directly into OSHA's operating budget, because that's the fastest path to bullshit fines.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVxhbsOg5iQ

poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Feb 6, 2015

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Crazy Ted posted:

How do you get a job driving a dumptruck with only a child's understanding of how you unload one?

Trochanter
Sep 14, 2007

It ain't no sin
to take off your skin, And dance around in your bones!
Also, fun fact: that earth-shattering fine is slightly more than what Ashley Furniture lost betting on the Super Bowl

e: ah, my bad.

Trochanter fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Feb 6, 2015

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Trochanter posted:

Also, fun fact: that earth-shattering fine is slightly more than what Ashley Furniture lost betting on the Super Bowl

Not the superbowl and also not at all uncommon

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
And they had someone cover . Good biz imo

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Drone_Fragger posted:

It's sickening. The company can talk down the fines to a minimal amount. This is a good article about an incident in which several kids were killed when they were walking down the corn. http://www.npr.org/2013/03/26/174828849/fines-slashed-in-grain-bin-entrapment-deaths

Walking down the corn or the beans should never be allowed. It's a horrible way to die.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
Should I call OSHA or CPS?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjV0iO-6vK8

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

You call your parents and apologise to them for being such a disappointment compared to that resourceful motherfucker right there.

Then you call your kids and tell them hexdude24 is their new dad.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Three-Phase posted:

Process.jpg

Hmm... (not from where I work!)

Hint: Look at where the arrows are pointing...

There was a pump on a nuclear facility that was backwards just like that.

It was supposed to fill the reactor if it leaked and instead would just dump the water out.

It went unnoticed for years.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah that's genius, although there is a real risk of a chain breaking and whipping around or something, so I wouldn't want to stand next to it while he's doing that.

e. I'm referring to the reverse-o-matic thing three posts up

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah that's genius, although there is a real risk of a chain breaking and whipping around or something, so I wouldn't want to stand next to it while he's doing that.

e. I'm referring to the reverse-o-matic thing three posts up

I was under the impression that you use chains so that there is no "whipping". When a chain snaps it just falls to the ground.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

spacetoaster posted:

I was under the impression that you use chains so that there is no "whipping". When a chain snaps it just falls to the ground.

Unless there's enough tension on it, such as the sort that would cause a chain to break.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2KSLQjyscU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95uG3t8FXvQ&t=16s

Etc etc.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Huh, so that's what a moonwalking-car looks like. Neat!

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

This is a song about messin' with people who've been messin' with you

Capntastic posted:

Unless there's enough tension on it, such as the sort that would cause a chain to break.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2KSLQjyscU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95uG3t8FXvQ&t=16s

Etc etc.
Note that this principle scales up nicely.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPnzjGNEXFo

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It's all about force, acceleration, and mass. Compared to (say) a towing strap, a chain has a lot more mass, so when it breaks, for a given amount of energy, there's more mass to accelerate in some wild direction and therefore it goes slower. But a snapping chain given enough energy can absolutely whip around and cause injury. So can cable, rope, a towing strap, etc.

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

Three-Phase posted:

Process.jpg

Hmm... (not from where I work!)

Hint: Look at where the arrows are pointing...

"well we're just dumping all that air out to nowhere, maybe we could generate some power with it???"

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

alternate title: "LINE UP ARROWS AND PUSH WITH THUMB"

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Crazy Ted posted:

That severed hydraulics(?) line at 0:20 :gizz::pervert:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I decided to rewatch Shake Hands With Danger now that I've got about a year of experience working around heavy equipment. The song is cheesy and some of the stunts are flubbed, but it's honestly a pretty drat good safety video in terms of content.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
...Did he think that would not happen if it landed in the trailer?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
It would have been fine if the guy on the street caught it instead of running away.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

sunday brunch
Dec 31, 2008
Had a high pitched buzzing noise coming from the office at work yesterday, electrician came out and started hunting. Turns out it was the battery backup for the cctv incase of a powercut that had broken somehow, but he was amazed at the mess of cables, and reccomended we get on to maintenance to get the office rewired with new plug sockets (the entire office, store cctv and comms network is running off 2 plug sockets with extension leads) and BT out to re-do the network setup.

Sparky just unplugged poo poo till the noise stopped (we tried this but didn't even know there was a battery backup) and shut the store down for a bit then left us to figure this out to be able to operate again. This place is a deathtrap.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Holy gently caress. What's the source for this?

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Sammus posted:

Really really bad luck.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Sammus posted:

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/03/08/us/plane-skydiver-collision/

CNN, March 10, 2014 posted:

A Cessna collided with a parachute at a small airport in Polk County, Florida, on Saturday. The plane took a nose dive, and the skydiver was thrown to the ground. Neither the pilot nor the skydiver were seriously injured when they fell about 75 feet, according to the Polk County Sheriff's Office.

Still Fluxing
Feb 14, 2013

A vision. A picture in my head. A picture of this.

Fun fact: that is the way my great-uncle ended up breaking his back. He's in a wheelchair now.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Still Fluxing posted:

Fun fact: that is the way my great-uncle ended up breaking his back. He's in a wheelchair now.

That's not a fun fact, that's not at all :(

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Haruharuharuko posted:

Really really bad luck.

Are you kidding me? Obviously the planes airframe parachute was missing or broken and there just happened to be a working one right in front of it! Luckiest plane in the world imo.

Twat McTwatterson
May 31, 2011

spud posted:

My dad is a retired Aircraft Engineer, and whilst I'm sure this a rather sweeping (and racist?) statement, he told me that generally the Asian Airlines "Just don't loving maintain them, to save money".

Yes, extremely loving racist! Goddamn loving racists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp

peter gabriel posted:

That's not a fun fact, that's not at all :(

it could be fun for the medical intern

• Locked thread