Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

This was 2nd and 82 in spirit

That was probably the single worst play I've ever seen by my team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

vyst posted:

Yea them and Papa John's are huge. Scott's turf builder is too for some reason

Now that you mention it I do remember the Papa John's ads. Ads or no ads, when I was there it was Gumby's Pizza that had the best drunk food pizza. Which in retrospect makes me wonder how little they had to pay to get the licensing rights to the Gumby claymation characters. It had a fly-by-night operation feel to it. http://www.gumbyspizza.com/

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

LLCoolJD posted:

Now that you mention it I do remember the Papa John's ads. Ads or no ads, when I was there it was Gumby's Pizza that had the best drunk food pizza. Which in retrospect makes me wonder how little they had to pay to get the licensing rights to the Gumby claymation characters. It had a fly-by-night operation feel to it. http://www.gumbyspizza.com/

There's a Gumby's in College Station and it is the stereotypical college pizza place. For example, take their Stoner Pie:

quote:

Pizza Sauce, Mozzarella, Mozzarella Stix, Pepperoni, French Fries, Bacon, And Extra Cheese

I ordered it once during a blackout drunk night, when I woke up it was half gone and my attempts to eat it sober caused me to gag.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

During my three years in State College, the last place to get food that I walked past on my way back from campus was a Gumby's. Right before it was a Subway. The Gumby's was so bad that I considered the Subway to be the last place to get something to eat, which was why I ate too much Subway.

Be like "oh no I'll cook something when I get home so I'll walk past all this better stuff...hrm this Subway is my last chance (because Gumby is poo poo) so..."

If I needed poo poo pizza, I went to College Pizza. In retrospect, I should have never set food in College Pizza and just licked the old pizza boxes in a dumpster behind an apartment build because they were probably cleaner.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
Gumby's Pokey Sticks were the best.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

LeeMajors posted:

Ehh...the ads themselves aren't annoying when done with something resembling restraint.

Having a ridiculously huge video board just to do this...

...is just....too much to bear.

:ughh:

Our loving stadium sucks now

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

an adult beverage posted:

This man speaks the truth.

My favorite college food place in Blacksburg was Alpha's Pizzaria. They made some bomb rear end calzones, and you could get a side of coke(the white kind) for pretty cheap off the delivery guys. I honestly think the drug game is how that place stayed open.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

an adult beverage posted:

Anytime I'm drunk I reflexively want to order Pokey Stix. Even though it has been almost a decade since I lived somewhere with a Gumby's.

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009

drunk leprechaun posted:

This man speaks the truth.

My favorite college food place in Blacksburg was Alpha's Pizzaria. They made some bomb rear end calzones, and you could get a side of coke(the white kind) for pretty cheap off the delivery guys. I honestly think the drug game is how that place stayed open.

Haha. I never had that poo poo, but always thought it looked sketchy as gently caress. In my tenure, their sign could never stay consistently lit. The redone taco bell was a much cleaner option and more frequented option.

Gumbys was pretty sweet in that my friends'lovely band played in their dining room a couple of times and the homeless and drunk people would grind to that shitshow.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Thoguh posted:

Anytime I'm drunk I reflexively want to order Pokey Stix. Even though it has been almost a decade since I lived somewhere with a Gumby's.

You are not alone my friend

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

computer parts posted:

I ordered it once during a blackout drunk night, when I woke up it was half gone and my attempts to eat it sober caused me to gag.

This is because you can only eat Gumby's while drunk or stoned. Your body knew better in the morning.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Neodoomium posted:

I want to know more about Taco Tontos.
It's a tiny little taco/burrito joint in Kent that serves both ridiculously good food and great beer.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Would yall like a thread about places to go and things to do/see in your college towns? We can throw tailgate info and hotel stuff like that in there too.

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Would yall like a thread about places to go and things to do/see in your college towns? We can throw tailgate info and hotel stuff like that in there too.

Not a bad idea. I'd be down as a contributor for Blacksburg/Knoxville.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Pretty good idea. As long as casual poo poo talking is still fine. I can add some Knoxville stuff and make fun of Vanderbilt's attempts at "tailgating" in Nashville.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Just keep it in this thread. What else are we going to talk about? It's already the de facto offseason food thread.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I've always fantasized that we could have a college football lifestyle thread, but we all know it would just turn into the SEC thread and we also all know that those threads were too perfect for an imperfect world.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

Dead Pressed posted:

Haha. I never had that poo poo, but always thought it looked sketchy as gently caress. In my tenure, their sign could never stay consistently lit. The redone taco bell was a much cleaner option and more frequented option.

Gumbys was pretty sweet in that my friends'lovely band played in their dining room a couple of times and the homeless and drunk people would grind to that shitshow.

Oh it was sketchy as poo poo. And you never went in that place dude, you got it delivered. It ended up as a yogurt shop right?

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Crotch Bat posted:

This is the last weird D&D situation I remember for VT.

Beat Nebraska by a single point, too. That first holding brought back a TD pass as well. Keep in mind Henery was the best PK in the country that year with a cannon for a leg and serious accuracy. He gave Nebraska all 15 of their points that day and basically anything else happening in that drive likely gives Nebraska the win and denies VT a great moment in program history.

e:

1:42 for the sequence, it's great :allears:

http://youtu.be/K3TBYKjSbUk?t=1h42m38s

Man you gotta trigger warning that poo poo. :argh:

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Pretty sure the Gumbys in Athens got shut down for selling lots of drugs.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

KKKLIP ART posted:

Pretty sure the Gumbys in Athens got shut down for selling lots of drugs.

Yep. It's now a Pizza Hut.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
When I lived in Auburn, Brand X Pizza was the cheapest and best drunk pizza place, but it closed several years ago. In hindsight, the cardboard box it came in probably had more flavor but, at the time, it worked out.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

LLCoolJD posted:

Pokey Stix are fuckin legendary to this day.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

vyst posted:

Pokey Stix are fuckin legendary to this day.

The entire thread is united in this. Goddamn this photo makes me hungry.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
If your given team is playing Southern Alabama I recommend you go. Mobile is fun as gently caress, everything is cheap, everyone is really nice, you can drink open containers in the streets as long as they're in plastic. I think we stayed at the Renaissance and it was legit one of the nicest hotels I've ever stayed at.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
New Brunswick has awesome Italian/Mexican/Middle Eastern food, beat that.

Not so great Indian/Chinese, but very close to areas that are insane for both, with tons of regional varieties. You're SOL for barbecue, but other than that Central Jersey is superbly good for dining with incredible variety for the huge local Asian and Latin American populations.

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious
Gumby's isn't even good ugh. All my friends when I went to Mizzou loved it, but the two other big local places were so much better

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

JRizzle posted:

Gumby's isn't even good ugh. All my friends when I went to Mizzou loved it, but the two other big local places were so much better

Gumbys pizza is awful. Pokey stix own though

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

sportsgenius86 posted:

This.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Detroit_Dogg posted:

If your given team is playing Southern Alabama I recommend you go. Mobile is fun as gently caress, everything is cheap, everyone is really nice, you can drink open containers in the streets as long as they're in plastic. I think we stayed at the Renaissance and it was legit one of the nicest hotels I've ever stayed at.

Mobile has some great food, particularly seafood and BBQ. Still, in my limited experience with Savannah, Georgia, Savannah is its nicer and safer equivalent.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
One of the traditional Rice student late-night snacks is to get tortillas and queso from Taco Cabana. It's not even good queso; I don't know why it even became a thing. (The other traditional "it's 3am and I'm hungry" place is House of Pies on Kirby, but that one I can totally understand on multiple levels.)

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

sportsgenius86 posted:

Yeah couldn't really say it any better because this sums it up. Pokey stix are great, burn the rest of it to the ground.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Kent is finally wising up to the fact that drunk kids leaving bars at 2:30 want to eat food so we have a lot of diners that are opening up from like 12:30-3:30 with breakfast sandwiches and boxes full of greasy breakfast poo poo which is just loving awesome. They were also wise to send reps out to the bars with coupons all that week so when you were reaching in your pocket for smokes or your wallet you also found this thick rear end ad for cheap breakfast food that sounds great after your 8th drink.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

JRizzle posted:

Shakespeares and whatever other place you're talking about aren't open until like 5 AM, nor do they offer the Big rear end. I don't get how people don't like Gumbys pizza while in whatever state of inebriation you're in at 2 AM; it's delicious.

I will say El Rancho was a better option, though sometimes you don't wanna stand in line with 50 bros who are ready to fight and/or puke

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Nobody goes for Gumbys for the pizza. They go for drugs or Pokey Sticks. It it known.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Incoherence posted:

One of the traditional Rice student late-night snacks is to get tortillas and queso from Taco Cabana. It's not even good queso; I don't know why it even became a thing. (The other traditional "it's 3am and I'm hungry" place is House of Pies on Kirby, but that one I can totally understand on multiple levels.)

Cabana bowls are amazing, and so cheap too. I also love any sort of bowl you can eat just in general.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Morby posted:

When I lived in Auburn, Brand X Pizza was the cheapest and best drunk pizza place, but it closed several years ago. In hindsight, the cardboard box it came in probably had more flavor but, at the time, it worked out.
Wow, hadn't heard it closed. I guess I'm not that surprised cause it really was just the bare minimum to meet the definition of "pizza" and everybody soon figures out you have better options.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Wow, hadn't heard it closed. I guess I'm not that surprised cause it really was just the bare minimum to meet the definition of "pizza" and everybody soon figures out you have better options.

They must have closed back in 2008 or 2009. That's about when my coursework ended.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I didn't even know there was a Gumbys Pizza until this thread mentioned it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

Mike_V posted:

Shakespeares and whatever other place you're talking about aren't open until like 5 AM, nor do they offer the Big rear end. I don't get how people don't like Gumbys pizza while in whatever state of inebriation you're in at 2 AM; it's delicious.

I will say El Rancho was a better option, though sometimes you don't wanna stand in line with 50 bros who are ready to fight and/or puke

I don't even like Shakespeares all that much either. My favorite was Wise Guys because it was pretty good and you could get a massive pizza for not a whole lot. I had Gumbys not drunk before ever having it drunk and it turned me off of it completely.

My drunk food was always El Rancho, the bros were always a huge downside to it, or Taco Bell or some other fast food place

• Locked thread