Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

If you don't mind the associated baggage, some Warcraft raid bosses are really intricate and interesting.

Mimrion / firefighter is crazy, but anything from Ulduar is worth a look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

LuiCypher posted:

Yup. It's in Dragon Magazine #289. I bought Oriental Adventures way back in the day and picked up this issue of Dragon because it was a tie-in to OA.

How many chambers do you have to enter before you can take it though

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

I also wanted to suggest some bosses from the Metroid Prime Trilogy but then I got to the part where I had to narrow down which ones to suggest and I basically came up with "all of them."

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Slimnoid posted:

I would've suggested Shadow of the Colossus but you guys haven't done that yet.

hint hint

Yeah, seriously. Shadow of the Colossus is nothing but awesome boss fights.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
Speaking of last stand(a couple pages ago :yayclod:) , At one point i really wanted to Write out an Anime cardgame version.

Elfgames fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Feb 6, 2015

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Remember back when Last Stand was the hot new success and there were like five fortune system games and a virtual tabletop in development? Those were fun times, it's a shame we never finished those.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

PublicOpinion posted:

Remember back when %GAME% was the hot new success and there were like five f%GAME% system games and a virtual tabletop in development? Those were fun times, it's a shame we never finished those.

Sadly, this is pretty much thisindustry.txt for the majority of good games out there.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

PublicOpinion posted:

Remember back when Last Stand was the hot new success and there were like five fortune system games and a virtual tabletop in development? Those were fun times, it's a shame we never finished those.

Well, goon projects and all that, but in reading Fortune System, it looks perfect for a thing I'm working on.
As long as I'm wishing for unicorns, if I ever finish it, I intend for it to have two versions, one Fortune, and one STRIKE (jimbozig's new game).

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Jimbozig posted:

Hey, Strike is just about to hit its first stretch goal, which is basically rules for huge boss monsters. I've got some stuff written up, but I need more ideas. Chat thread, I need your help! Post youtube links to the best boss fights in all videogames!

Because of course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_U9HmQntcMY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGYI1aHM5_8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igjqJ8jZWn0

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePtzwHiO2Rk

Here's the entire thing from the first time you meet him without commentary. Chip's video starts about halfway through.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
Oh stop, you're making me blush.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

This, if nothing else.

Nuclear hell-crow who ate a god to gain its power throwing miniature suns at you is a loving awesome boss idea and I don't care what you say :colbert:

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Artorias is one of the best boss fights in a game with a lot of good boss fights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqxk80rZYmE

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

"You're talking to cats."
"And you eat ghosts, so shut the fuck up."

Jimbozig posted:

Hey, Strike is just about to hit its first stretch goal, which is basically rules for huge boss monsters. I've got some stuff written up, but I need more ideas. Chat thread, I need your help! Post youtube links to the best boss fights in all videogames!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkWnYGuEZ3E

So, Castlevania has had some pretty memorable boss fights over the years. One of my favourites is Brachyura from Order of Ecclesia, though. Unfortunately, it's really hard to find any boss fight footage up on Youtube that isn't flawless gameplay -- watching flawless Castlevania gameplay has the effect of making things look a lot easier and less exciting than they actually are, because you just end up watching someone who knows the attack patterns so well that they make the whole thing look completely trivial.

Anyway, this is a great fight to actually play through, because it gives you this really claustrophic feeling as this giant loving crab chases you further and further into what feels like a dead end. It's also got a super satisfying conclusion beyond "and then its hitpoints went to zero." In general, boss fights where you can't actually kill the monster through conventional means and have to somehow use the environment to your advantage can be a great way to shake things up in a game where the player can normally kill anything as long as they shoot/stab it to death enough.

Translating that kind of feeling into a tactical RPG without making the players feel like they're being railroaded or intentionally hosed with could be tricky, though.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
Anyone have a useful dice macro for OVA The Anime RPG? Preferably usable in roll 20?

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

Talkc posted:

Anyone have a useful dice macro for OVA The Anime RPG? Preferably usable in roll 20?

So it needs to roll a variable number of d6s and keeps the highest, but d6s with the same value add to each other? Unfortunately I can't see a way to get that into a macro. However, one thing that will make it slightly easier is to add "s" to the end of your die expression. This will sort the results in ascending order to you can do the math on your pool more easily. So you'd roll 6d6s and instead of 5, 5, 4, 2, 2, 5 you'd get 2, 2, 4, 5, 5, 5 and just have to see that your result is 15 on your own.

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
something in your make~up
don't see eye to e~y~e

does Kanye the Giant count as a boss fight

bc that was my favourite part of Def Jam Icon II: Shadow of the Crunklossus

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
That is actually pretty useful for OVA, didn't know about that.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

this is beautiful

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Carrasco posted:

I really thought this was going to be a link to that Key & Peele sketch with "Kanye the Giant", but apparently that's not on youtube at all.

http://vimeo.com/39114507

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Game Room people who play in/have applied to a NyarlathoTech game: Would you find it handy if I made a setting handbook? I am super loving flattered that a bunch of people are running games in a rewrite setting I kludged together but people dumping a wall of text I wrote for my own recruit back in 2013 every time they start a thread is getting weird for me.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Yes loving please.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

That would be swell as hell.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Do that after you update Trigger Warning! :argh:

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I never read those walls of text so a handbook for the setting would be super-nifty.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
You should make it your next Kickstarter project after Breakfast Cult is finished.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Wouldn't that draw some awkward glances from whoever owns Cthulhutech, though? Like, Ettin made Nyarlathotech as a (arguably justified) reaction to questionable elements on CTech, but in kickstarting NTech he'd have to draw comparisons between the two, and that might cause, I dunno, defamation lawsuits.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Sure, and that's why WotC sues everyone who makes a fantasy RPG with elves and dwarves.

More seriously, if Ettin were to hypothetically publish some hypothetical Nyarlathotech game I would assume that he would be smart enough to not plaster all over the book and/or Kickstarter "Like Cthulhutech but with less rape!" Cthulhu is public domain and there's no copyright on mashing up Cthulhu plus cyberpunk plus anime. He would probably have to rename certain specific things like Tagers and whatnot because that would cause an issue, but people make "like game X but BETTER!" all the time, I would go so far to say it's one of the cornerstones of the RPG hobby.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I am slowly reading through the Cthulhutech writeup at Fatal & Friends, and I am very glad to hear that someone made a more savory version, because some of the ideas there are pretty cool.
There's something I'd like to know: how did Ettin handle the Deep Ones in Nyarlathotech? As someone said in the F&F thread, the fact that they lust after human women is part of the horror associated with them, and I wonder how to pull that off in a non-creepy way.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
no the horror with deep ones is largely ~miscegenation~

oh no our pure white blood has been contaminated by black people eldritch horrors

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Well yes, but nowadays nobody is afraid of miscegenation -or at least, nobody you'd want at your gaming table. But even without that, a primordial race of fish people working to summon a sunken demigod while in the meantime taking control of isolated coastal villages can still be pretty scary.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Just make the disgusting ancient fish mutants the ones afraid of diluting their glorious blood by interbreeding with humans.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
in the secret world, the deep one analog is weird, but it goes like this:

1. townspeople are lured into the sea by siren song where they drown and turn into zombies
3. zombies get infected and turned into egg pod things
3. when the egg pod bursts a freaky sea mutant zombie comes out

fake edit: wait no the deep ones are a different thing, but they're basically mindless attack animals herded ashore by said sea-zombies and not very interesting

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

It's entirely possible to preserve most of the Deep Ones mythos if you just carve out all of the poo poo in the source material that makes overt references or allusions to miscegenation. Weird alien beings attempting to breed with humans to create a bizarre subservient hybrid offspring, or otherwise using human beings as living incubators, is still pretty creepy without dragging race into it.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
To fix the CthulhuTech version just have them go back to cutting deals with people who boink them willingly. Or they can google IVF.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
So my gaming group got put through AD&D1E Tomb of Horrors by our local AD&D GM. Zero fatalities, actually managed the secret happy ending by for-reals killing the demilich and not just busting his phylactery, 50k xp each, 150k gold each, some swag magic items and used the last Wish off the djinn to send everyone who ever died in the Tomb to a happy, final resting place. That's pretty much as good as it gets, right?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Tollymain posted:

no the horror with deep ones is largely ~miscegenation~

Miscegenation definitely was at the root of Arthur Jermyn, but I read deep ones more as dread of biological programming. Your rational will is subordinate to primal instinct, and that's terrifying to some people. Someday you might wander out into the ocean and live with the fish god forever, or more likely you'll put your boy-parts into a gross vagina ...and like it! For God's sake Danforth, I enjoyed the penetration!

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
The monthly board game group in my area has someone running Torchbearer next week. I'm taking this as a good think since everything else is PF as far as the eye can see.

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

"You're talking to cats."
"And you eat ghosts, so shut the fuck up."

moths posted:

Miscegenation definitely was at the root of Arthur Jermyn, but I read deep ones more as dread of biological programming. Your rational will is subordinate to primal instinct, and that's terrifying to some people. Someday you might wander out into the ocean and live with the fish god forever, or more likely you'll put your boy-parts into a gross vagina ...and like it! For God's sake Danforth, I enjoyed the penetration!

Do you remember the part where the "biological programming" came entirely from this one guy going to a scary foreign island, marrying a woman he met there and bringing her back to Innsmouth to have children, producing this inbred mixed race population who are the only ones experiencing it? And also that way too long, highly uncomfortable conversation between the narrator and that one dude at the beginning of the story where they literally spell out that mixed race people are horrifying and disgusting and every right minded person should hate them on general principle?

Like, Shadow Over Innsmouth did not actually have racist subtext. It's not like... some subtle allusion you can take multiple ways -- it was pretty loving explicit in the text itself. I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with extracting something not-racist from it, but, uh... you kind of need to be willing to acknowledge which parts are racist before you can actually do that.

Basically I just feel like "actually I don't think Shadow Over Innsmouth is racist!" is a position you really want to invest a lot of energy into defending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Gazetteer posted:

Do you remember the part where the "biological programming" came entirely from this one guy going to a scary foreign island, marrying a woman he met there and bringing her back to Innsmouth to have children, producing this inbred mixed race population who are the only ones experiencing it?

I focused more on whatever pact Captain Marsh had made with the fish people, but that's a valid reading.

The protagonist in Shadow is unrelated to Marsh or the islanders, but is still drawn into the ocean. The implication is that the deep ones have been putting their alien DNA and biological urges into humanity forever, and the sea captain and his interracial family is just the latest example.

E: I'll read it again, but I remember the in-story disgust being more about uncanny valley revulsion at man-fish than the concept of interracial marriage.

E2: wow I really didn't remember that story well at all!

moths fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Feb 8, 2015

• Locked thread