Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Bobby Digital posted:

The new 11pro looks pretty sweet IMO, and it's back to kangaroo leather.

Do you have a higher res picture of those boots you could share?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Shrapnig posted:

Do you have a higher res picture of those boots you could share?

Those boots are actual size. He has the largest feet in the world.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
I score from like half of my goal kicks. The other ones sail over the goal and out of the stadium, landing gently in the Pacific Ocean.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

vulturesrow posted:

Honestly dude, this is kind of dumb. Don't destroy your legs because you want to play. I get where you're coming from but you have to walk around the rest of your life on those legs.

I have to do something, and I'll go nuts if I have to stay inside and sit around all day for a year again. Plus it's not like I'm running a whole lot playing on defense.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
It's either rehab now and do it right or rehab later after you're forced to get another surgery.

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

New one on me yesterday - played at a new "park" that doubles as a golf driving range during the week. Facilities were poo poo (a lovely, run-down trailer with a single lovely bathroom) but the pitches were surprisingly decent. The grass wasn't the usual St. Augustine crap we have down here, but a shorter, finer variety which was nice. The only downside was a lot of sand in spots to level it out. That and the center circle was maybe 2 yards wide, and I think the pitch might have been square rather than rectangular. But, eh, 4-0 win to end the season, so, :toot:

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

I just did my MCL and meniscus. While I'm thankful I didn't do my ACL this poo poo hurts and is really inconvenient. After going my whole career without injuries I've now done this and snapped my Achilles in the space of a few years. I guess at 34 my body is finally telling me to slow down

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Man, that sucks. Knock wood I've mostly avoided injuries in my first 28 years but I fear doing in my knee as well.

Good luck on the recovery.

I just moved to the DC/Northern Virginia area recently and I'm not sure where to start to find a five-a-side team. Anyone have ideas?

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

i dont know much about 5 a sides in this area, but there are tons of 7s and 11s leagues in DC and Arlington (don't know how far out you are). I play in Metro Sports and District Sports, and the leagues are pretty well run and horribly reffed. Feel free to ask me more, been playing here for 5 years.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

TheBigAristotle posted:

Man, that sucks. Knock wood I've mostly avoided injuries in my first 28 years but I fear doing in my knee as well.

Good luck on the recovery.

I've always played a lot of football so I've been really lucky to avoid anything serious up until now. Both injuries have come from playing indoor football- the hard courts just put way more stress on your body when you quickly turn (which is how I did this and my Achilles).

I was just about to buy a new pair of F50's so guess I'll just be needing the one boot now :unsmith:

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Well I'm moving to the Pacific NW in a few months which is pretty exciting since i should be able to get into a league(either rugby union or soccer), maybe even an old boy's teams for the likes of me. The disappointing part is that I most likely won't be able to coach depending on what my work schedule is like. I'm holding out hope though. I love coaching and I'd really like to knock out my D cert so I can start working on the C level.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Ungratek posted:

i dont know much about 5 a sides in this area, but there are tons of 7s and 11s leagues in DC and Arlington (don't know how far out you are). I play in Metro Sports and District Sports, and the leagues are pretty well run and horribly reffed. Feel free to ask me more, been playing here for 5 years.

I live in Falls Church, looking for something on Sundays, 7s, preferably. I'm a casual, so good players will torch me, but I'm not a scrub, either.

I got on my last team through a sub board and stuck with em for a few years, playing defense was a rarity where I came from, apparently. I'd imagine things are different in such an international city like DC

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

TheBigAristotle posted:

I live in Falls Church, looking for something on Sundays, 7s, preferably. I'm a casual, so good players will torch me, but I'm not a scrub, either.

I got on my last team through a sub board and stuck with em for a few years, playing defense was a rarity where I came from, apparently. I'd imagine things are different in such an international city like DC

Playing defense is always a rarity. Even fatties think they can play striker and wander around the field. If you can play defense and have the discipline not to sprint to a forward position at every inopportune moment, you'll find a team everywhere.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Tigren posted:

Playing defense is always a rarity. Even fatties think they can play striker and wander around the field. If you can play defense and have the discipline not to sprint to a forward position at every inopportune moment, you'll find a team everywhere.
Yeah, this is true (even more true for keepers, at least here -- I started playing keeper for a few teams and I still get emails from people who know people I barely knew etc.). It tends to snowball late in casual games, especially, where you see a lot of lopsided attacks as individual players just say "gently caress it" and give up on playing defense / try to get on the score sheet. I am the slightly less annoying "caught too far forward at least three times a game but at least I try to get back" version. It's good exercise to sprint back 50 yards while the couple of poor responsible defenders try to delay the attack.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Tigren posted:

It mostly spawns from my pretty-good-for-an-amateur touch, solid control (when stationary) and inability to move well with the ball. I blame my dog for not letting me get past him when we play outside

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

TheBigAristotle posted:

I'm not as familiar with Falls Church since it's a bit further out, but this seems pretty reasonable
http://www.fxasoccer.com/

And yes, the defender thing is pretty true in DC. Strikers are the second most valuable player after goalies. The leagues are just overrun with midfielders for the most part

Xylorjax
Nov 27, 2002

vulturesrow posted:

Well I'm moving to the Pacific NW in a few months which is pretty exciting since i should be able to get into a league(either rugby union or soccer), maybe even an old boy's teams for the likes of me. The disappointing part is that I most likely won't be able to coach depending on what my work schedule is like. I'm holding out hope though. I love coaching and I'd really like to knock out my D cert so I can start working on the C level.

If you're coming to the Seattle area there are ample opportunities to play.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Ungratek posted:

And yes, the defender thing is pretty true in DC. Strikers are the second most valuable player after goalies. The leagues are just overrun with midfielders for the most part

This is every men's league ever, everywhere.

True goalscorers and keepers are like gold, everyone has 9001 wingers and central midfielders, and then there are the few guys who actually like defending and want to play there, or aren't really fit enough to play anywhere else on the pitch.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Xylorjax posted:

If you're coming to the Seattle area there are ample opportunities to play.

Yes, I will be living in Lake Stevens. Any good info you have is much appreciated.

Xylorjax
Nov 27, 2002

vulturesrow posted:

Yes, I will be living in Lake Stevens. Any good info you have is much appreciated.

http://gssl.org/
Some other leagues:
http://www.wssa.org/leagues?cdtScript=1&cdtWidth=1560&cdtHeight=1125
Coed:
http://co-recsoccer.com/
http://seattlerats.org/

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

The second best GSSL. :smuggo:

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
(Just an aside, thinking back -- part of the reason I'm often "too far forward" is because the other team's guys are consistently too far forward/not tracking back... so if you play normally and your team loses possession well poo poo guess who's usually "out of position" now.)

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Finally got done with all the field exercises and bullshit so I'll be signing up for the spring season. Excited to actually be and play apart of a team again.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Are you on a team?

Xylorjax
Nov 27, 2002

vulturesrow posted:

Are you on a team?

Yeah. PM or email (my username at hotmail) so we don't poo poo up this thread with it.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Not on a team yet but pm me too. I'm down near Olympia though

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Soulex posted:

Not on a team yet but pm me too. I'm down near Olympia though

Hopefully you still have your legs if we get a chance to meet up!

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

vulturesrow posted:

Hopefully you still have your legs if we get a chance to meet up!

Yeah. Can't wait, 2 days to get back home. Gonna play asap. Fitness is gonna be hard cause I was in the field for a long time, sick, lost weight, long nights, etc. legs should be ok for a bit.

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

But I think those are eyes...
(source)
Question for all you guys about match fitness - I spent most of last season out injured through various collisions and lovely tackles, and so have spent most of the past 6 months or so doing rehab work. This week is the second week back in pre-season, and I've noticed that my fitness is starting to effect me in unexpected ways, namely that my quads are starting to give out and it is impacting on a lot of the HIIT drills we are doing, even upper-body stuff like push ups etc (never realized how much your legs are involved until they gave out on me). Lots of quick switching and turning direction, as well as running backwards is loving me up good and proper well before I'm running out of breath or getting a stitch. Most likely culprit is my work-out program, currently I'm on Ice Cream Fitness 5x5 and have been progressing steadily for about 3 months. I'd prefer not to give up on the program, since I'm really loving the results (I've noticed that I'm pretty hard to knock off the ball now).

So the question is - any advice as to how to look after my quads better/improve the conditioning of my quads? I really feel they've been a limiting factor in getting stuck into training as much as I can.

Edit to add: Ice Cream Fitness is a progressive strength-building weightlifting program. Highly recommended if you wanna develop a T-Rex style body shape.

Tongues fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Feb 8, 2015

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Squats?

Also cycling, lots of cycling and running.

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)
I think squats might actually be part of the problem - the program has you doing them in 5x5 sets 3 times a week, with a slight increase each session. My coach has since recommended lunges to really hit the quad - we do quite a bit of short interval running as part of our conditioning as well. Does that sound reasonable to others in the know bout these things?

Agree on the cycling for sure though, poo poo kills me good.

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Winner, SA's Sikh Of the Year, 2013
So I did a bit more reading on those Pantofola d'Oro astros I posted about a while back (http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3119288&pagenumber=98&perpage=40#post436827092) and understand the soft leather makes an already heavy boot leaden in the wet, which doesn't sound appealing. A friend has a pair as well and suggests it wouldn't suit my pacey game, so back to the old Mercurial/Venoms I go:

Honestly can't remember the last time I had black boots let alone astros.

Tongues posted:

T-Rex style body shape.

So bottom heavy? I'm not sure I get this. Post your legs, also your feet. Different angles please. Many thanks, Insanely Sikh.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Insanely Sikh posted:

So I did a bit more reading on those Pantofola d'Oro astros I posted about a while back (http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3119288&pagenumber=98&perpage=40#post436827092) and understand the soft leather makes an already heavy boot leaden in the wet, which doesn't sound appealing. A friend has a pair as well and suggests it wouldn't suit my pacey game, so back to the old Mercurial/Venoms I go:

Honestly can't remember the last time I had black boots let alone astros.

So bottom heavy? I'm not sure I get this. Post your legs, also your feet. Different angles please. Many thanks, Insanely Sikh.

If you want to be a serious soccer player. Using synthetic boots with soft ground studs when it's wet and leather with hard ground studs when it is dry. (Only partly joking)

T-rex - swole legs, toothpick arms.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Tongues posted:

Question for all you guys about match fitness - I spent most of last season out injured through various collisions and lovely tackles, and so have spent most of the past 6 months or so doing rehab work. This week is the second week back in pre-season, and I've noticed that my fitness is starting to effect me in unexpected ways, namely that my quads are starting to give out and it is impacting on a lot of the HIIT drills we are doing, even upper-body stuff like push ups etc (never realized how much your legs are involved until they gave out on me). Lots of quick switching and turning direction, as well as running backwards is loving me up good and proper well before I'm running out of breath or getting a stitch. Most likely culprit is my work-out program, currently I'm on Ice Cream Fitness 5x5 and have been progressing steadily for about 3 months. I'd prefer not to give up on the program, since I'm really loving the results (I've noticed that I'm pretty hard to knock off the ball now).

So the question is - any advice as to how to look after my quads better/improve the conditioning of my quads? I really feel they've been a limiting factor in getting stuck into training as much as I can.

Edit to add: Ice Cream Fitness is a progressive strength-building weightlifting program. Highly recommended if you wanna develop a T-Rex style body shape.

I'm pretty sure you are over training. A 5x5 routine is pretty taxing on your muscles, especially if you haven't been doing it long. You should probably cut down on the weight program. Maybe go to 3x5 on the main lifts and cut out some of the extraneous crap.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

vulturesrow posted:

I'm pretty sure you are over training. A 5x5 routine is pretty taxing on your muscles, especially if you haven't been doing it long. You should probably cut down on the weight program. Maybe go to 3x5 on the main lifts and cut out some of the extraneous crap.

Yup. To further elaborate, your body needs time to recover and you're not giving it any. The real unfortunate part is that you need to take maybe a week off if you want to get back to a healthy state before working out again.

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)

vulturesrow posted:

Alright, this makes sense. I'll take some time off this week and see how I go. Thanks y'all!
(Vine as well, not sure how to multiquote on betamax)

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Just lost the championship game of a 6v6 tournament in golden goal OT. Feels real bad:(

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

cosmicjim posted:

Just lost the championship game of a 6v6 tournament in golden goal OT. Feels real bad:(

Boooo. Go drink your sorrows away.

e:

Tongues posted:

Alright, this makes sense. I'll take some time off this week and see how I go. Thanks y'all!
(Vine as well, not sure how to multiquote on betamax)

Something I wanted to add. I looked up that ice cream lifting program and I wasn't overly impressed, especially if you are trying to get stronger. It's not a bad program but it has too much accessory work for linear progression program. It's almost like a beginner's bodybuilding routine. If that's what you're after, more power to you, but that is definitely in opposition with your goal to get more fit for soccer. Strength training will help with that but I don't think that program is a good fit if you are trying to get more fit and strong for soccer. My default recommendation for beginners is Starting Strength. I use 5/3/1 but it's not the best beginner program. Whatever route you go you want limit your lifting volume while you are working really hard on game fitness. Building strength definitely helps with that, you just don't want overdo it.

vulturesrow fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Feb 9, 2015

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)

vulturesrow posted:

Boooo. Go drink your sorrows away.

e:

Something I wanted to add. I looked up that ice cream lifting program and I wasn't overly impressed, especially if you are trying to get stronger. It's not a bad program but it has too much accessory work for linear progression program. It's almost like a beginner's bodybuilding routine. If that's what you're after, more power to you, but that is definitely in opposition with your goal to get more fit for soccer. Strength training will help with that but I don't think that program is a good fit if you are trying to get more fit and strong for soccer. My default recommendation for beginners is Starting Strength. I use 5/3/1 but it's not the best beginner program. Whatever route you go you want limit your lifting volume while you are working really hard on game fitness. Building strength definitely helps with that, you just don't want overdo it.

Haha yeah, it's basically Stronglifts 5x5 with accessories added on, but I'm likely to cut out the accessories now that it's getting to be too much. I've been doing starting strength and variations for about 2 years, minus the past 6 months split between rehab and 5x5.

I appreciate the response (and the effort to check out ICF). I was planning on moving to a more intermediate program once I had maxed out on ICF, which is realistically only about a month away, but the realities of preseason and so forth hit me a bit harder than I had hoped. I will have a look into some lower volume programs to see if anything fits :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW

feel free to PM me as well vulturesrow. I've played in every one of these leagues except for the RATs one, and at nearly every level on their "pyramids" at one time or another, so I can tell you about the levels of comp, quality of refs, state of pitches, etc.

my best advice is to get dedicated artificial grass boots, your loving knees will thank you. all the pitches around here are synthetic or AG.