Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Next-Jin Engine
Dec 7, 2013

TheRealestMatt posted:

Sonic All-Stars Racing is lazy, charmless, and not all that fun. I don't understand any people who think it's superior to any Mario Kart.

:colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

What did we do to deserve Matts scorn

also cripes Strafe's thumbnail is horrifying.

Edit: That intro is amazing good gosh

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Dias posted:

Mario Kart was on EVO, he has a point.

Wait, run by that me again?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

ConanThe3rd posted:

There's a lot of side-tournaments in Evo.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Oh wow strafe is super going to fail it's kickstater, they'd need to triple their amount in a week to pass muster, shame.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Strafe doesn't seem like my kind of game, not a fan of the acid blood thing as that sounds more obnoxious then fun but oh well. Also when uncovering secrets was like "yeah dedicated level layouts! I can at least get behind that!" but then the stinger happened :negative:

I'm kinda burned out on randomly generated things as a whole and just want some good rear end level design. Least the secrets you found were pretty drat cool.

Edit: We're probably getting Fatal Frame 5 localized after all!

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Feb 9, 2015

Prozach
Oct 30, 2013

When God invented Lycra, he was thinking about Divas matches.

Al-Saqr posted:

Oh wow strafe is super going to fail it's kickstater, they'd need to triple their amount in a week to pass muster, shame.

Pocket Rumble was in bad shape too before it got the Zaibatsu push, so there's a chance. But their target goal is way higher so I'm not optimistic.

For me, Strafe looks alright, I guess. Nothing that I feel like I'd need to fund or anything.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

ConanThe3rd posted:

Mario Kart DS was an official game at EVO 2006.

Mario Kart DS is also the best modern Mario Kart. Love that game.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

DS sucked and was full of cheaters. I remember getting it and being like wow cool, fun then hopping online and 3/4ths of the lobby would be snaking, one guy would seemingly have infinite red shells and I'd just kinda be puttering along confused.

What doesn't suck is Geno Whirl, soon as they hit it I knew the video was going to cut :allears:

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Feb 9, 2015

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

Strafe always looks really disappointing to me. The mechanics come across in videos as really loose and the procedurally-generated level design sets off alarm bells because the FPS genre relies so heavily on tightly polished mechanics and level design.

Still, I really hope they continue developing it if the kickstarter fails, because it doesn't look like they're going to reach their goal.

e: Also those turret guys look like the most annoying thing.

Genetic Toaster fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Feb 9, 2015

Mesothelioma
Jan 6, 2009

Your favorite mineral related cancer!
Coming from Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed to Mario Kart 8, comparatively the amount of features in MK8 feels pretty bare imo.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I tried All Stars Racing Transformed again just to make sure; it's still great, screw all y'all haters. :colbert:

Genetic Toaster posted:

The mechanics come across in videos as really loose

Really? I thought the opposite, that it looked too stilted. A guy at work today was playing Duke Nukem 3D on his Vita, and there's a zippiness to it (and also Doom) that Strafe hasn't quite captured. We were talking about how great it would be to have an old-school shooter again, but... I don't know about Strafe just yet.

But I'm also not 100% sold on Driftstage yet either, so apparently I just have crap taste all round.

Trexy
Aug 7, 2007

wife/GF
can't/won't
Today's SMRPG ending is perfect.

goldblums eyes
Jan 11, 2011

I had a dream where Woolie moved into my reallife apartment. We became best friends and lived together for weeks. I asked him one night if he smoked weed, and he came into my room with a bunch of pipes. We got really stoned then he lingered off into the living room. He was sitting on the living room couch and I was too high to be alive so I laid on the floor. He jumped on me and started to make out. I went with it but was kind've terrified, so I pushed him off and asked "wait, what? why did you do that?" He started bawling his eyes out then told me he had to move out.

He was a good kisser.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Trexy posted:

Today's SMRPG ending is perfect.

Yeah

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

goldblums eyes posted:

I had a dream where Woolie moved into my reallife apartment. We became best friends and lived together for weeks. I asked him one night if he smoked weed, and he came into my room with a bunch of pipes. We got really stoned then he lingered off into the living room. He was sitting on the living room couch and I was too high to be alive so I laid on the floor. He jumped on me and started to make out. I went with it but was kind've terrified, so I pushed him off and asked "wait, what? why did you do that?" He started bawling his eyes out then told me he had to move out.

He was a good kisser.

ayy lmao

goldblums eyes
Jan 11, 2011

He was a really good kisser. Not to be whatever, but his lips felt really huge on my face lol.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
And we never saw Matt again.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
thats trill

goldblums eyes
Jan 11, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

And we never saw Matt again.

At my defense, I was listening to the Guacamelee LP on my vita in bed while going to sleep. Woolie is probably a terrible kisser

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I dreamt I was playing No More Heroes again and it was pretty good

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

That's going to be the next SMRPG description.

TheRealestMatt
Jun 27, 2014

The Boss. The CEO. The J-Cup Lover.
I put loving TIME in Transformed as well, I didn't just do the Pat thing where I look at it once, scoff and deride it for years, then suddenly change my tune when I actually PLAY it (the Skullgirls effect)

The single player campaign was just the most annoying, grindy thing I've ever seen in a Kart racer, when the entire point of this racing sub genre is for quick burst sessions of racing whenever I want. The gameplay of Kart racers (especially this one) is not nearly as deep or has enough customization to keep my interest up during giant long campaigns where I'm suppose to level up every single racer/kart whatever to finally start unlocking things. Let me race the tracks in whatever order I want, unlock a new character at the end of it, rinse and repeat. If I want more depth than that, I'll play any sim racer or a more serious arcade one like Burnout or Need for Speed. The only time I think anything more than that works, is an adventure setting, like Diddy Kong Racing. Instead, just have a little avatar of your kart/racer navigate an ugly overworld map and grind, grind, grind.

The entire UI and front end is the most unimaginative thing I can think of, just no thought or creativity put into it at all. This doubles for the levels, using the boats/cars/planes thing has a crutch, and not really having to design a solid cohesive track, there's only like 2 tracks I can even remember, Samba Di Amigo, and the Afterburner stage. Why this is so disappointing to me, is when I think of alot of Sega games, I think of bright, colorful eye-catching art design and UI. I think of Sega AM2 arcade games, I think of sharp Sonic fonts/logos and just...Transformed is everything BUT that. It's just so lazy looking when you actually play it, and especially having to go through all the menus.

While I will relent that the balance of power ups is fine, that's also because they are the most generic and unexciting items I can think of. I struggle to recall a single one. Energy blasts? Rockets? I dunno.

And this is all before I even start thinking of the lovely selection of Sega mascots. So much wasted potential. Where's Axl? Blaze? Where's ToeJam? Where's Akira? Jacky? Vectorman? Ecco? Kiryu? Billy Hatcher?

No, no! Make way for the EXCITING Sega characters such as: Danica Patrick! Wreck-It-Ralph! Football Manager! Team Fortress! And of course, YOGSCAST!

Like, sorry if I'm being rough here, but I picked it up on the cheap after so many people started saying it was "THE BEST KART RACER EVER" and to me, it totally came off as the most forgettable. When I think of Mario Kart 8, it's super extensive selection of characters, SHITLOADS of tracks, and awesome DLC, like, it's LEAGUES above both of Sumo Digital's efforts.

I will however, think the series still has potential to actually become something worth playing. Hopefully a 3rd time's a charm.

TheRealestMatt fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Feb 10, 2015

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

TheRealestMatt posted:

No, no! Make way for the EXCITING Sega characters such as: Danica Patrick! Wreck-It-Ralph! Football Manager! Team Fortress! And of course, YOGSCAST!

Couterpoint: It has Vyse in it and also no dumb baby characters or lovely re-textured characters like Pink Gold Peach. And Matt, don't loving play Kart Racers single player, that's barely a step above playing Mario Party by yourself.

Also you have a nasty habit of any time anyone says anything good about something they like that you don't where you just generalize and make them sound like crazy idiots "IT'S THE BEST THING EVER" isn't anything a large amount of people said about Transformed. At most they said "Hey this poo poo's pretty good/great". Like yeah man sorry you don't like it but you kind of come off as bitter that someone enjoyed it and dare say they did.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Couterpoint: It has Vyse in it and also no dumb baby characters or lovely re-textured characters like Pink Gold Peach. And Matt, don't loving play Kart Racers single player, that's barely a step above playing Mario Party by yourself.

Also you have a nasty habit of any time anyone says anything good about something they like that you don't where you just generalize and make them sound like crazy idiots "IT'S THE BEST THING EVER" isn't anything a large amount of people said about Transformed. At most they said "Hey this poo poo's pretty good/great". Like yeah man sorry you don't like it but you kind of come off as bitter that someone enjoyed it and dare say they did.

Stop being so defensive about a video game that is pretty mediocre

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The most times I heard Sonic was better than Mario Kart, 8 didn't exist yet. So there you go.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I liked Transformed a lot, but now I don't even want to talk about it anymore because

Shut the gently caress up, why why why why why why why why why on earth would you post this, jesus christ.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Yeah you make some excellent points Matt, I'll agree with a lot of what you mentioned, however I still think transformed is great and was a more 'fun' game to me so far, I'll just suck it up and try to get good at MK8 and see if my opinion will shift.

Holy poo poo this topic got super heated.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Feb 10, 2015

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Al-Saqr posted:

Yeah you make some excellent points Matt, I'll agree with a lot of what you mentioned, however I still think transformed is great and was a more 'fun' game to me so far, I'll just suck it up and try to get good at MK8 and see if my opinion will shift.

I don't suppose I disagree with any of those points, except I like most tracks in Transformed - the ones that are mostly flying suck tho, Nights comes to mind. Thing is, I honestly thing it was better than Mario Kart Wii. It depends on how much items out of nowhere infuriate you, I suppose.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I like Double Dash a lot well that's my story bye :)

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Quote isn't edit you dummy.

Commissar Ken fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Feb 10, 2015

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Ahahahahahaha. It's a good day.

Dias posted:

Mario Kart DS was an official game at EVO 2006.

Mario Kart DS is also the best modern Mario Kart. Love that game.

Mario Kart DS was the best Mario Kart game until Mario Kart 8 came out. Still hoping they shove Waluigi's Pinball in as a DLC stage. That poo poo was magical.

TheRealestMatt posted:

While I will relent that the balance of power ups is fine, that's also because they are the most generic and unexciting items I can think of. I struggle to recall a single one. Energy blasts? Rockets? I dunno.

This was basically my gripe. Friend of mine argues with me that Sonic Kart is better than Mario Kart 8 and my retort is always basically the stages are more fun to race through and even if they weren't there's no lovely jet mechanics and secondly the weapons are far more fun/memorable. Who the gently caress thought swarm of bees or a giant catchers mitt said 'SEGA' to it? Feels like they were brought over from Backyard Baseball the kart racer.

Commissar Ken fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Feb 10, 2015

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea I like Sonic Racing (holy poo poo though MK8 is miles better in nearly every way though) but basically everything Matt said is a valid point. In a company like Sega loving NASCAR LADY and YOGSCAST GINGER is absolutely unacceptable for character roster selections, and there was a pretty big problem with tracks being bland except for a few, and again in Sega that's 100% unacceptable. Also yea, the story mode was horrible and grindy, gently caress that. It was a neat idea, and I hope they make a second with better design and less loving rando NASCAR, but holy poo poo is this not the hill to die on duders.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

beep by grandpa posted:

I liked Transformed a lot, but now I don't even want to talk about it anymore because

Shut the gently caress up, why why why why why why why why why on earth would you post this, jesus christ.

Is this the equivalent of mentioning feminism in the PYF Video Game threads? I'm curious.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Think about it this way: No matter what the quality of Sonic All-Stars Etc Etc is, it will never be as good as the hit video game Sonic R

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJaS826jtq0&t=84s

TheRealestMatt
Jun 27, 2014

The Boss. The CEO. The J-Cup Lover.

I don't do this, at all. Please tell me when I've done this. Are you confusing me with Pat? People mix us up a lot.

Also, I should back up a bit, the bit where people we're literally going, "Sonic Transformed is THE BEST KART RACER EVER" actually happened, verbatim. Months after the game came out, on NeoGaf specifically, I would see this get thrown around a lot. I did not say anyone was saying it here, and if I inferred it, was not my intention. I just didn't clarify where I heard it initially.

And instead of going, "No! That can't be TRUE! BLAH BLAH BLAH!" and just clamping my ears shut, I went to a store, purchased the game, and put something like 6-8 hours into it. I was disappointed, and I even said that this franchise has potential, I just feel they have not nailed it. At all.

I even apologized if I was sounding harsh in my original post. You seem to have a nasty habit of jumping to conclusions when someone doesn't like what you like.

TheRealestMatt fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Feb 10, 2015

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I like Sonic Racing, but I'm not going to disagree with the notion that the single-player sucks rear end, I don't care for more than half of the characters, and the weapons all suck. I get wanting to balance weapons to make it more fair, but part of the fun of combat racing/kart racers is that the weapons are incredibly stupid to the point where they make the game fun like in Mario Kart or Crash Team Racing. Sonic All Star was a fun game until like MK8 came out and then I never stopped having fun with that cool game.

A lot of the music in that game was really good though.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Podcast is up guys.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Holy poo poo, what Kickstarter did Pat pump 700 bucks into?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prozach
Oct 30, 2013

When God invented Lycra, he was thinking about Divas matches.

Tae posted:

Holy poo poo, what Kickstarter did Pat pump 700 bucks into?

I'm gonna assume Strafe since they did a video on it today.

Also, got to the VGCW part of the show, and since I'm a huge gigantic mark for that stuff I'll put a bit of a biopic on the must-know info if you guys are interested in seeing more. Most of this can just be found in the VGCW SA thread though

*Unless otherwise said, every show is Tuesday at 3 PM PST/6 PM EST at https://www.twitch.tv/bazza87 It's a superconsistent schedule unless things break.
*Today's show is the go-home show for End Game, which is the free PPV event at the end of every season that Bazza creates. End Game (next week) is where Zubaz is making his official debut, fighting Dante from DMC (who is actually a loving awesome wrestler), Travis Touchdown, Toad, Sabin from Final Fantasy VI, and Johnny Cage in a six-man newcomers match
*Main storylines to know for End Game are:

**Red vs Scorpion (c) for the VGCW Championship (they had a match over a year ago that some think is the best match in VGCW history and this is their first match since then, you can see it here
**Duke Nukem vs Gary Oak to be the next VGCW General Manager
**The Mavericks (Break Man and Air Man) vs PK Chu (Red and Ness) (c) for the VGCW Tag Team Championship
**Dan Hibiki vs Knuckles (c) for the VGCW Casual Championship (aka the midcard title)
**Baz v Dante v Travis v Toad v Sabin v Johnny Cage
**Some other stuff, trust me it's all good

*Not only that, but there's typically another show that plays on either Thursday or Friday every week at the same time too. WVGCW is basically the exact same thing as VGCW except with women video game characters and run by a completely different guy named BRYN. His schedule can get wonky at times, so best way to know when it's on is to follow his Twitter, but it's always at 3 PM PST/6 PM EST at the same place, https://www.twitch.tv/bazza87 It's just as good as the men's show. I mean, look at this loving gif.

Chie goddamn Satonaka Galactic Punting goddamn Bayonetta in the goddamn face. poo poo's awesome.

*If WVGCW isn't on, EDBW is. EDBW is run by yet another guy named John Dudebro, who controls the developmental stuff kinda like how WWE has their own minor league system. Some of these guys (like Travis and Dante) move from this show to the main show that Bazza runs, so it really is as if these guys are prospects. It's a mix of guys and gals, and although there's no plotlines like there are on the other shows it's still fun from a pure fake real wrestling standpoint. Once again, either Thursday or Friday practically every other week whenever WVGCW is not on, same time (3 PM PST/6 PM EST) same place (https://www.twitch.tv/bazza87)

It'd be awesome if you guys got hitched to this stuff, it's addicting as hell.

Prozach fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Feb 10, 2015