Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

F. Lobot posted:

The two most glaring omissions are both iconic songs turned mediocre games:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAeC2osGnOQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjERJzdg5EU
Sonic Boom is not a mediocre game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I'm glad we'll be getting so many balance patches to make our game as good as it can be.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Chaltab posted:

You're right, it's outright bad.

toxicitysquared
Nov 12, 2007

:jiggled:
Jiggled Again
Had the night off from studying and work to enjoy some wii u but this piece of loving garbage has been updating/installing poo poo since 6pm. its almost 10

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Reiley posted:

I'm glad we'll be getting so many balance patches to make our game as good as it can be.

Please do not toy with my heart

toxicitysquared
Nov 12, 2007

Jiggled Again

jigglemaster7 posted:

Had the night off from studying and work to enjoy some wii u but this piece of loving garbage has been updating/installing poo poo since 6pm. its almost 10

yay after updating and downloading smash 4 from the eshop for 5 hours the wii u lost connection at 98% and corrupt the download so I had to restart everything. gently caress nintendo

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

jigglemaster7 posted:

yay after updating and downloading smash 4 from the eshop for 5 hours the wii u lost connection at 98% and corrupt the download so I had to restart everything. gently caress nintendo

Deep breaths and happy thoughts buddy, it'll be okay.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

jigglemaster7 posted:

When you download something it's best to simply turn off the Wii U and it'll finish the download wasting less energy and without risk of corrupting the download.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

jigglemaster7 posted:

get a lan adapter and hardwire that bitch

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Chaltab posted:

Oh word?

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Im proud of your kill, but I expected sicker.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I really want to be good with Ness but I am extremely bad. Someone tell me how to be good with him.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

FactsAreUseless posted:

I really want to be good with Ness but I am extremely bad. Someone tell me how to be good with him.

I'd like to know too

:negative:

I actually felt okay with him a couple of weeks ago but the last couple times I've played FG I swear I my win rate is like 10%

One of the things that I find fun/feel like helps me as Ness is the double PK Thunder trick (thundering into the side of the stage and immediately doing it again to recovery) - I get a lot of cheap kills off of people chasing me off the edge that way.

Also spacing is key - PK Fire is the best thing ever, but it is important not to just spam it (though I do all the time). Try spacing yourself to have them just inside your range and hitting them with it, especially when they're about to land.

I suck at this but using the bat to return projectiles is super effective. It's hard to time against certain characters (LIIINK) but it surprises a lot of Samus players.

And of course back throw to kill, down through/fair/fair as a combo that _usually_ works.

Glimm fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Feb 9, 2015

Rhycool
Jul 15, 2012

The other secret to Ness is that all your aerials are loving great.

That + PK Fire follow-ups make him hell for people like my Falcon.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
GOOD NESS THINGS:

bthrow is a loving murder weapon, use it on anyone over 100 near the edge. do it.

upair is a goddamn amazing combo tool at low-mid percentages, and does serious murderpower at higher percents. mixup with fair and nair at low%, and mixup with PK thunder (just hitting them with the head of the bolt) at higher percents, to keep your enemies in the air.

pkfire-dthrow-fair-fair is a True Combo at low-mid %s on a huge portion of the cast. mix in upairs and nairs instead against savvier foes.

backair is a monster, but is easy for your opponent to predict. use it only when they're "frame-trapped" or otherwise very vulnerable... or use it a surprise attack while mixing up.

n-air has huge range, and therefore huge priority. Against some characters/attacks, it's better than airdodging! Does like 10% dmg and knocks your assailant away, giving you back your footing.'

learn to aim PK thunder and PK Thunder 2, and dominate with them

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Throws and air combos, same as every high-tier character. Got it.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

Throws and air combos, same as every high-tier character. Got it.

This applies to almost every character across the smashes

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

TheKingofSprings posted:

That's fair. I'm just bitter after playing Ike, whose grab game sucks.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

That's fair. I'm just bitter after playing Ike, whose grab game sucks.

As a Robin and Lucina player I feel your pain deeply

E: I guess FE characters are just cursed not to grab. Ike has dthrow into aether going for him though, at least.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
I like Peach and Zelda's throws; literally jump on people with your rear end or fire gun magic with your fingers, respectively.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

TheKingofSprings posted:

E: I guess FE characters are just cursed not to grab. Ike has dthrow into aether going for him though, at least.
I prefer Ike's upthrow. You can combo more ways and it's a little less predictable.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

I prefer Ike's upthrow. You can combo more ways and it's a little less predictable.

That's fair, I don't play as Ike much so I just stuck to the one combo I saw that guaranteed damage at low percents

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

TheKingofSprings posted:

That's fair, I don't play as Ike much so I just stuck to the one combo I saw that guaranteed damage at low percents
Ike is entirely a mental game, which is what holds him back. You have to hard read everything and hope you're not predictable, because of his speed and limited follow-up and combo options.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

TheKingofSprings posted:

This is revenge for Marth's absurd grabs in Smashes past. :(

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ChaosArgate posted:

This is revenge for Marth's absurd grabs in Smashes past. :(

Good thing I got my fill of playing Marth and not Falco in those other Smash games! Ha...ha... :negative:

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Marth's grab being some psychic extension of his sword was stupid anyway.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

Ike is entirely a mental game, which is what holds him back. You have to hard read everything and hope you're not predictable, because of his speed and limited follow-up and combo options.

Ike has better aerials and is better at spacing than marth in this game. It's hosed up

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

The pokemon are cool interesting fighters who don't just dthrow uair, if you're looking for a New Main then, heh, you might "have a ball" with these guys

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

The Bee posted:

Marth's grab being some psychic extension of his sword was stupid anyway.

His hand can go right through people sometimes in this one though.

And if you land one you get 4%, no guaranteed followups.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

TheKingofSprings posted:

His hand can go right through people sometimes in this one though.

And if you land one you get 4%, no guaranteed followups.

Yeah, the hitboxes in this game feel really stupid sometimes. I don't miss Marth being some psychic pro wrestler, but his grab definitely deserves a buff or at least an honest hitbox.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

The Bee posted:

Yeah, the hitboxes in this game feel really stupid sometimes. I don't miss Marth being some psychic pro wrestler, but his grab definitely deserves a buff or at least an honest hitbox.

Just change the knock back on it so I can sword whack people and it would be fine

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ruggington posted:

Ike has better aerials and is better at spacing than marth in this game. It's hosed up
Ike should. Marth is faster and arguably has an easier time landing a killing blow.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

Ike should. Marth is faster and arguably has an easier time landing a killing blow.

I cannot abide this while Ike's back air exists

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

TheKingofSprings posted:

I cannot abide this while Ike's back air exists
I'm terrible at landing it :(

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

If you count the amount of times I've been hit with a bullshit tipped forward smash and killed at 40% from the middle of the stage then I guess you're right

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

You're telling me you want me to jump backwards and hit someone with a back air on purpose?!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ruggington posted:

If you count the amount of times I've been hit with a bullshit tipped forward smash and killed at 40% from the middle of the stage then I guess you're right
Yeah. Marth's ability to kill with his forward smash is really good. Ike racks up damage easily, but killing means waiting for the opponent to screw up.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

mabels big day posted:

You're telling me you want me to jump backwards and hit someone with a back air on purpose?!

sometimes you can jump forward and hit someone with a back air!

FactsAreUseless posted:

Yeah. Marth's ability to kill with his forward smash is really good. Ike racks up damage easily, but killing means waiting for the opponent to screw up.

If you can get someone off-stage at 90%+ they're pretty much dead, otherwise yeah you absolutely need a punish or a read

also, mega man is really fun why did none of you tell me this sooner I could have saved so much time

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

TheKingofSprings posted:

No doubt

Ruggington posted:

sometimes you can jump forward and hit someone with a back air!

to add to this, using aerials for their slightly different hit(hurt?)boxes . My favorite of this is Captain Falcon's signature hidden move, the Reverse Knee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

TheKingofSprings posted:

RIP Marth's elasti-arms

• Locked thread