Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Heavy neutrino posted:

I just threw my hands up and stopped caring after I met the mechanic girl who presumably wears a jumpsuit for protection while tinkering with stuff but leaves it unzipped to display her bust because errrr

Have you seen the latest FFXV trailer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Heavy neutrino posted:

I just threw my hands up and stopped caring after I met the mechanic girl who presumably wears a jumpsuit for protection while tinkering with stuff but leaves it unzipped to display her bust because errrr

we live in a post-hunniepop world, the next growlanser, if it somehow ever gets made, might be a steam only game with full on nudity instead of outfits at all

boblemoche
Apr 11, 2008
A few days ago people in this topic wondered what Mitsuda was doing, and now we know :

http://www.eoegame.com/index.php/introducing-yasunori-mitsuda/

He's working on a crappy French JRPG wannabe that hasn't started it's Kickstarter yet. :cripes:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Those environments actually look cool but uhh..the rest..huh...

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

boblemoche posted:

A few days ago people in this topic wondered what Mitsuda was doing, and now we know :

He's working on a crappy French JRPG wannabe that hasn't started it's Kickstarter yet. :cripes:

I dunno, that looks kind of up my alley. It's tough to say with the Enchanted Arms aesthetic though.

EDIT: enemies on the map instead of random battles, seeming Grandia-style ATB. Looks like it has potential.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Heavy neutrino posted:

If girl mechanics did this more often, I'd get my car serviced all the time, so I think it's a smart strategy.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Playing Suikoden 2 straight after 1 feels so much more polished, I can run without needing a rune! (Though the default walk speed is actually slower, I think.) Although 'triangle' to cancel is just weird.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Tried Star Ocean 3 and a Tales of game, but Ys Oath/Origin has ruined me. Ys combat makes all other ARPG combat feel like total poo poo. Also Arkham games make ARPG combat feel like poo poo too I guess.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Which tales game?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
How is Chrono Cross? At the time of release the game got a string of perfect review scores and now it is rarely mentioned.

boblemoche posted:

The trailer for the game makes it look alright. I'll keep an eye on it.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

it's decent. gameplay is fun enough and it's very pretty, but the plot is psx style exceptionally convoluted which can been fun but you need good characters for it to work which chrono cross doesn't in the least

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Levantine posted:

Grandia-style ATB

sold

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I thought working designs had this vast endless catalogue of RPGS that they brought over, considering that I have met many people who reminisce about them like they were something special. But I looked up what they made for the Playstation and PS2 and I have almost everything they made as far as RPGs go other than Vanguard Bandits and Alundra.

and they only put out three games for the PS2 and I remember getting Silpheed and Gun Griffon Blaze as freebees during BOGOs. Xseed has put out more top notch games than what Working Designs did over their entire existence.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Working Designs basically lived and died on Lunar and maybe Arc the Lad. Mostly Lunar.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

ImpAtom posted:

Working Designs basically lived and died on Lunar and maybe Arc the Lad. Mostly Lunar.

Wow that is not a lot to go on as far as a legacy goes. I just picked up Arc the Lad cheap because I found a complete physical copy with all 5 discs for around 30 bucks. But When I played Lunar I thought it was alright, but nothing that hasn't been bested by other games over the years.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Bear in mind I'm just going off what I saw in the trailer posted on their site. Early in the video the combat appears to have an initiative gauge similar to Grandia, at any rate.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

The Taint Reaper posted:

Wow that is not a lot to go on as far as a legacy goes. I just picked up Arc the Lad cheap because I found a complete physical copy with all 5 discs for around 30 bucks. But When I played Lunar I thought it was alright, but nothing that hasn't been bested by other games over the years.

What you gotta understand is Lunar was maybe the first ever Jrpg with anime scenes and voice acting and so on. It was mediocre by ps1 era standards but this was Sega CD we're talking about, so at the time there was nothing else like it at all.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

The Taint Reaper posted:

Frankly, I'm not even going to remember them for Arc the Lad, since I wasn't interested enough to get through the first one. I know the second and third ones are much better but crap was the first one a pain. I will remember them for Alundra because drat that was a fun game.

corn in the bible posted:

What you gotta understand is Lunar was maybe the first ever Jrpg with anime scenes and voice acting and so on. It was mediocre by ps1 era standards but this was Sega CD we're talking about, so at the time there was nothing else like it at all.

It did in fact have the best opening this side of Snatcher as far as Sega CD games go.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Another big thing was that Lunar's translation was actually comprehensible. Like, yeah, it had its problems, but you could understand the story. The characters had different voices, even!

Compare to other JRPGs of the time, which were busting out lines like 'the crystal is the moon of dark side and evil, so to speak.' We aren't even comparing them to PSX translations, we're comparing them to SNES translations. It was stunning if you were a kid at the time.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Arc the Lad 3 is actually pretty bad. 2 is basically the swan song.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

punk rebel ecks posted:

How is Chrono Cross? At the time of release the game got a string of perfect review scores and now it is rarely mentioned.

The only perfect I remember for Chrono Cross was Gamespot's, and that one has become kind of infamous. Jeff Gerstmann told the story recently that the reviewer was a freelancer (actually Andrew Vestal, creator of RPGamer and noted Square fanboy), and when he gave it a perfect, the editorial crew looked for someone to vouch for it since no one else at Gamespot had played it. They ended up going to a second freelancer, asked them if it deserved the 10, they said "definitely", and the review went up. Then freelancer #2 called them back and said "oh, I never said it was perfect."

Chrono Cross' problem is that it represents the height of Square extravagance, good and bad, in that era. On the good side, it's a beautiful game with a beautiful soundtrack. It's one of those late-gen PSX games that still holds up pretty well visually. On the bad side, the story is a convoluted mess (that has nothing to do with Chrono Trigger for the first two thirds, then just kinda takes a dump on it) and they tried to cram in 45 different Goddamn party members. There are so many playable characters that none of them could be focused on or given any personality, and most are distinguishable purely by their tacked on stereotypical accents. Square actually devised a system for a lot of the big story missions where they wrote generic dialog that could be applied to any party member, and those lines would then be run through a filter that automatically applied the accent of whoever you had with you. You're not going to get a lot of interesting character development when your characters don't even get unique dialog half the time.

So it kind of depends on how much poo poo you're willing to put up with. If you're willing to play something primarily to look at it/hear it, it might still be worth it.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

The Taint Reaper posted:

I thought working designs had this vast endless catalogue of RPGS that they brought over, considering that I have met many people who reminisce about them like they were something special. But I looked up what they made for the Playstation and PS2 and I have almost everything they made as far as RPGs go other than Vanguard Bandits and Alundra.

and they only put out three games for the PS2 and I remember getting Silpheed and Gun Griffon Blaze as freebees during BOGOs. Xseed has put out more top notch games than what Working Designs did over their entire existence.

While Working Designs is mediocre at best today, back in the early and mid-90s that was head and shoulders above every other company that didn't have Ted Woosley at the helm.This was a time when JRPGs came out with tons of translation errors, spelling errors, and just horrific writing. It wasn't until Final Fantasy VII released and became the best selling game of the generation that publishers started taking the genre more seriously. The fact that games like Lunar and Popful Mail actually had reasonably good voice acting and readable dialogue made it light years ahead of anything released at the time.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Feb 9, 2015

evilskillit
Jan 7, 2014

METAL TOADS

corn in the bible posted:

I think they were bigger in the 16 bit era. They also brought over Cosmic Fantasy 2 for the Turbo Grafx CD. It probably doesn't hold up at all but it was pretty amazing in it's day.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmic_Fantasy_2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-_NI38nqVw

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

punk rebel ecks posted:

As someone who recently played both Trigger and Cross for the first time I will say that Cross is far from perfect but it's a good game.

First and foremost though, before I go on my little bit, have you played Xenogears? Because Chrono Cross really wants to be Xenogears. Chrono Cross' writer, Masato Kato, went from working on Xenogears (only worked on, he wasn't terribly important) to doing Cross and you can plainly see how much Gears influenced him.

Now, Cross is a lot of fun to play and look at and the soundtrack deserves an 11/10 all on its own. The people who say Cross has no good or memorable characters are exaggerating. There were quite a few characters I liked in CC. True, most of the cast does not need to be there but there is an entire subplot that connects about 3 or 4 party members (Dario where you get backstory on Karsh, Glenn, Riddel and maybe Viper) and another one that connects another 3 or 4(demi-human which involves Fargo, Nikki, Marcy and probably others. I hosed that one up). As for characters that are central to the main story...well, I think there are about 3 or 4 party members for that too. And I personally like Serge more than Crono as far as Silent Protagonists go. And I absolutely loved Kid.

Now, Cross has a lot more...erm, "layers" to the story. You won't know exactly what's going on for damned near the whole game. That probably evokes the feeling of spinning your wheels and "why am I even doing this?" but I didn't mind most of the time. Most things do lead logically to other things. There's just a few plot points at the very end that are really "wut" and poorly done.

No, CC's story is not the greatest ever but I didn't mind it. Helped along with some likable characters, a godly soundtrack and fun gameplay, I'd definitely recommend it as one of the best JRPGs for the PS1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=923fVDDwaHo

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Feb 9, 2015

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I'll say the strength of the Lunar series is their simplicity. The games don't waste your time with frivolous bullshit, they are very well paced overall.

Also Lunar is maybe the only RPG where the merchant is your friend and doesn't charge you anything while the world ending super weapon is looming overhead.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Rascyc posted:

Arc the Lad 3 is actually pretty bad. 2 is basically the swan song.

Arc the lad is an exemplary series that started off really cool and then went eh into wtf

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Levantine posted:

Bear in mind I'm just going off what I saw in the trailer posted on their site. Early in the video the combat appears to have an initiative gauge similar to Grandia, at any rate.

I looked at some videos of it on youtube. The initative gauge alone doesn't make it Grandia-style enough for me. I prefer allies and enemies to actually move around in a battlefield.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
It reminds me of Suikoden in that Arc the Lad 1 was basically the prototype and then Arc the Lad 2 was the real game. The only difference is that an Arc the Lad 5 never happened whereas Suikoden 5 happened and that was a pretty decent game. I kind of wish there were more Arc the Lads but I honestly don't even remember anything special about the series beyond the scope of 2.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Endorph posted:

Which tales game?
The Symphonia remake, but I also played the Vesperia demo and was unimpressed as well

Maybe you unlock longer combos as the game goes on but I'm tired of the action-game staple of 3-hit combos then a delay then 3-hit combos then a delay, even if you have options like spells and items to use and poo poo. I had to put up with it with Devil Summoner just because the setting/atmosphere was neat and I wanted to play through it, but I just can't get into any other game from the ground floor that is that underwhelming.

In Ys I think the average max combo is 9-10 hits and you can swing as fast as you can press the button so it is extremely visceral. And in the Arkham games you can pretty much chain to infinity.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Feb 9, 2015

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Rascyc posted:

It reminds me of Suikoden in that Arc the Lad 1 was basically the prototype and then Arc the Lad 2 was the real game. The only difference is that an Arc the Lad 5 never happened whereas Suikoden 5 happened and that was a pretty decent game. I kind of wish there were more Arc the Lads but I honestly don't even remember anything special about the series beyond the scope of 2.

4 was fantasy racism: the game and pretty terrible imo. Every now and then someone tries to tell me 5 was decent but I never got around to trying it.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

dis astranagant posted:

4 was fantasy racism: the game and pretty terrible imo. Every now and then someone tries to tell me 5 was decent but I never got around to trying it.

4 had a good battle system though (radial instead of grid). It also had a good soundtrack.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
Yeah, Tales tend to start you off slow with attack attack attack special, and it's only later that you unlock more cancels, bigger moves and new mechanics. Xillia 1 and 2 were pretty good about making core battle gameplay more fun, though; you should try them when/if they go on sale on PSN.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Now, Cross has a lot more...erm, "layers" to the story. You won't know exactly what's going on for damned near the whole game. That probably evokes the feeling of spinning your wheels and "why am I even doing this?" but I didn't mind most of the time. Most things do lead logically to other things. There's just a few plot points at the very end that are really "wut" and poorly done.

There are good ways to have layers to your story, and then there are bad ways. CC is definitely the latter. It's fine to have huge mysteries to a story that get solved (or not) over the long term, but in the short term most things should be coherent. I really think Serge shouldn't have been silent. I simple "I'm gonna break into Viper Manor because [reasons this matters to Serge]" would have gone a long way towards making the player feel like the game has some direction to it. Especially since Serge as a character was much more central to the overarching plot of CC than Crono was to CT.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Levantine posted:

4 had a good battle system though (radial instead of grid). It also had a good soundtrack.

The thing I most remember about 4's battle system is that mask kid was hilariously absurdly broken to the point he could solo the arena the first time you get there and unlock the bonus character absurdly early.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Chrono Cross would have been better if it had a small, well crafted party instead of 44 mooks, only 2 of whom you will ever use other than the main character.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Levantine posted:

The only thing I remember about the combat is that the final boss was a literal repeat of the one from 2 and managed to take even longer to go down.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
The only thing I remember about Twilight of the Spirits is that the second main character was really cool. I think (??) it was a good game, too?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

U-DO Burger posted:

I really think Serge shouldn't have been silent. I simple "I'm gonna break into Viper Manor because [reasons this matters to Serge]" would have gone a long way towards making the player feel like the game has some direction to it.

It would have been hilarious to see Serge trying to justify leaving Kid to die so he can recruit the best party member.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

mycot posted:

It would have been hilarious to see Serge trying to justify leaving Kid to die so he can recruit the best party member.

It's almost irresponsible how easily and often the game lets you dump Kid considering she's one of the only other real characters with any depth. Imagining all that poo poo trying to hold itself together with a Serge that has a personality is a feat in and of itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Quest For Glory II posted:

The Symphonia remake, but I also played the Vesperia demo and was unimpressed as well

Maybe you unlock longer combos as the game goes on but I'm tired of the action-game staple of 3-hit combos then a delay then 3-hit combos then a delay, even if you have options like spells and items to use and poo poo. I had to put up with it with Devil Summoner just because the setting/atmosphere was neat and I wanted to play through it, but I just can't get into any other game from the ground floor that is that underwhelming.

In Ys I think the average max combo is 9-10 hits and you can swing as fast as you can press the button so it is extremely visceral. And in the Arkham games you can pretty much chain to infinity.
Tales of Graces is a lot faster than all of those, but it takes a little longer to unlock longer combos in that as well. That said, the high level combos are super fun.

Symphonia and Vesperia are probably two of the slowest games in the series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGHgBReB_MQ