Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
What the hell, I suddenly had 3 voicemails on my visual voicemail (Fido) show up that I had no indication were there before, one from almost a week ago.

That's loving garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Scudworth posted:

I use Koodo's USA add-ons multiple times a year with no trouble at all and am willing to vouch for it.

Hmmmmmm maybe I'll have to give it another look then. $40 for 10 days of unlimited calling/texts/250mb of data is pretty expensive, but it might be worth it to avoid the hassle of dicking around with going to Target for a US SIM/getting some sort of US pay-as-you-go plan.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
I use Roam Mobility when I'm in the US. It's great in Dallas and Las Vegas at least.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

BGrifter posted:

I'm going to be heading to the states for a week soon and was wondering what my best option is for a small amount of minutes/text messaging/maybe 250mb of data? I'm currently on Koodo but I'm leery about using any sort of roaming addon after hearing horror stories for years about people with thousand dollar cell phone bills. Any suggestions/tips/warnings?

Pick one of the codes and text it to 4545 before crossing the border.

Just be sure to set your Android Data counter, because "Data overage rate is $5/50MB. You will be automatically blocked and notified if you reach $100 in data overage."

less than three fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Feb 6, 2015

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

less than three posted:

Pick one of the codes and text it to 4545 before crossing the border.

Just be sure to set your Android Data counter, because "Data overage rate is $5/50MB. You will be automatically blocked and notified if you reach $100 in data overage."

Hmmmmmm that makes it nice and simple. Still going to look into grabbing a SIM and getting a cheap US plan, but if I don't come up with any satisfying options I can do that from the airport.

Do I have to go in and cancel the add-on when I get back or is it just a one time thing? Also I'm an iOS guy but I'm usually pretty good about keeping track of my data usage, thanks for the tip.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
Also turn auto download off for MMS.

BGrifter posted:

Do I have to go in and cancel the add-on when I get back or is it just a one time thing? Also I'm an iOS guy but I'm usually pretty good about keeping track of my data usage, thanks for the tip.

It just ends after 10 days, no further attention needed.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Apparently paying $5-10 just to reserve your number and keep the phone activated is actually pretty standard across the board. In the US, a lot of the MVNOs do the same. We've had "hold plans" here in Canada for ages; if you're not going to be using your phone for a long time but you want to keep your number. It used to be like $15/mo, on Rogers, I believe.

Not defending our stupid prices, but there is some reason to it. I imagine there is some non-zero cost associated with keeping your line activated and the number reserved.

Still, $10 for nothing does sound pretty funny.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Pivo posted:

Apparently paying $5-10 just to reserve your number and keep the phone activated is actually pretty standard across the board. In the US, a lot of the MVNOs do the same. We've had "hold plans" here in Canada for ages; if you're not going to be using your phone for a long time but you want to keep your number. It used to be like $15/mo, on Rogers, I believe.

Not defending our stupid prices, but there is some reason to it. I imagine there is some non-zero cost associated with keeping your line activated and the number reserved.

Still, $10 for nothing does sound pretty funny.

You'd be better off getting a $100 Speakout wireless sim and porting over if your number parking was sufficiently long - it lasts a year and you actually get minutes with it.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
It's happeningggggg.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I have a few apps on my phone which are supposedly still not 5.0 compatible. I'll have to hold off the updates for a bit myself :(

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

The Dark One posted:

It's happeningggggg.

I wouldn't be too excited. After what happened with winds rollout I would wait a while to see if the rollout is hosed or not.

And definitely back up your phone first.

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln
I still haven't gotten any notice from bell about account cancellation or remaining fees.
It's been a few weeks now so I have no idea what's going on.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

PS. Love the cabin posted:

I still haven't gotten any notice from bell about account cancellation or remaining fees.
It's been a few weeks now so I have no idea what's going on.

If it's anything like my Rogers treatment, you'll hear nothing for a while so they can finalise everything, then a cheque or a bill on your next billing cycle.

I got a cheque and was flabbergasted.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Or maybe they'll just send you to a collections agency 6 months from now. You never can tell with Bell!

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Or maybe they'll just send you to a collections agency 6 months from now. You never can tell with Bell!

Wouldn't surprise me.
I once got an angry "pay us now or else" letter that was due in like 2 days.

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here
Just throwing this out there. If you're looking to unlock a Rogers/Fido iPhone there is a website that's doing it for $11. I just unlocked my iPhone 5.

http://protechparts.ca/collections/factory-unlocks/products/rogers-wireless-iphone-unlock-1-24hrs

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

JohnnyCanuck posted:

I stopped working at Bell years ago and they still send me a monthly e-mail that they owe me $65 on my employee cell phone account. They don't mail me a cheque for that $65 though. It's not worth it having to deal with them to get that $65, because dealing with their employee accounts department is even more abysmal than Bell's front facing customer service. I will let these e-mails continue until the end of time.

justlikedunkirk
Dec 24, 2006
What's the word on Zoomer Wireless? Someone told me about it recently, seems like it's too good to be true.

http://www.zoomerwireless.ca/

Right now the site doesn't advertise it but all their plans have double the data and minutes. That means for $36/month you get 400 minutes of talk time and 1GB of data, along with unlimited international texting. I was told that they're based in Burnaby and are a Rogers reseller, so it's on the Rogers network.

Edit: Oh God, I should have went back one page further to see someone bring up the same question. I'll ask something else:

My Fido contract is up next month. I'm on the $39 Smart Plan (600MB data/400 minutes/unlimited text). I assume I qualify for a discounted handset when I upgrade from my Galaxy S3, right? I'm looking at the S5 for $400 on a 2 year agreement.

justlikedunkirk fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Feb 17, 2015

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

I'm interested in that too. It's cheaper than what my office is offering me.

http://www.zoomerwireless.ca/rate-plans/individual-plans/

Do I actually need to be a senior citizen though?

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Acer Pilot posted:

I'm interested in that too. It's cheaper than what my office is offering me.

http://www.zoomerwireless.ca/rate-plans/individual-plans/

Do I actually need to be a senior citizen though?

Go back one page in this thread.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I'm finally getting around to unlock my old phone for re-sale, but it looks like I need a sim card for a company other than the one it's locked to (Rogers)? That makes it a lot more inconvenient, not a lot of people I feel comfortable asking for their sim card out of their phone.

I guess I should say if anyone here is interested in a mint condition Note 3 locked to Rogers, never messed around with, send me a message. I'll give a goon a fair deal.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They always say that but I've never actually needed the sim to unlock a phone.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Just got a notice for 5.02 on my Moto G. I'll see you on the other side.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I just got that as well but I have not done it yet. Let me know how it goes if you don't mind.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
I've gotten the notification on my wind moto x again. Definitely holding off this time.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Some reports of the Moto G having issues after the update. Not bricked and unrecoverable but not pain free. No idea how common it is.
http://community.koodomobile.com/koodo/topics/moto-g-2013-lollipop-update-no-outgoing-calls-no-mobile-data

quote:

Any time I make a call, I get the "Call not Sent." pop-up. Incoming calls are received correctly. SMS work as well.

Mobile Data does not connect. I tried inputting the APN manually, turning data OFF, then ON, rebooting and wiping cache partition with no success.

quote:

I just spoke with someone at koodo, and they advised to take the back off the phone ,remove the sim card, and wait until the koodo rep sends an "update" to the phone...after this she came back on the phone and asked for me to place the sim card back into the phone and turn phone back on...and perfect...it works again!!!!!! this is juts another reason why koodo is the best cell company hands down!

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

No issues issues for me, so far. One distinct improvement: I can play Threes while listening to something in Beyondpod without the latter being dumped out of memory after a few seconds.

On the other hand, I now have two Photos entries in my app drawer.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Good to know. Doing the update myself on my unlocked G.

e: Seems to have gone well, still playing with the changes and getting use to the UI tweaks.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Feb 25, 2015

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

Scudworth posted:

Go back one page in this thread.

Thanks. I'm still worried they'd say no and if it's even legal to have a CARP membership underage.

Does anyone happen to know if corporate plans with Rogers are month to month or is it a 2 year contract? My office has some plan with 6gb but it's like $56 before tax which seems super expensive.

I'm leaning towards Wind right now since I feel like I want data but am hearing mixed opinions about their coverage.

jot
Jul 5, 2003

Some parts of history were never meant to be uncovered.

Acer Pilot posted:

Thanks. I'm still worried they'd say no and if it's even legal to have a CARP membership underage.

Does anyone happen to know if corporate plans with Rogers are month to month or is it a 2 year contract? My office has some plan with 6gb but it's like $56 before tax which seems super expensive.

I'm leaning towards Wind right now since I feel like I want data but am hearing mixed opinions about their coverage.

That's a pretty good deal for 6GB to be honest. I had Wind for all of a week before I cancelled and went back to Rogers. The coverage was awful where I live and work (Mississauga and Toronto) and even when I had full connectivity, data speeds were garbage.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Acer Pilot posted:

Corporate is actually still 3 years I think.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Aphrodite posted:

Corporate is actually still 3 years I think.

It is, I'm on one, and still buy a new phone every year :suicide:

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Wind managed to chop off a bit of the AWS 3 spectrum

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

Welp. I took the plunge and am going to be trying out Mobilicity in Vancouver for the next few days.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

They got a great deal. 56mil versus 500mil for Bell, 1.5bil for TELUS.

It almost makes up for the incumbents getting their first spectrum for free. 56mil is the closest to free they're going to get nowadays.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

less than three posted:

They got a great deal. 56mil versus 500mil for Bell, 1.5bil for TELUS.

It almost makes up for the incumbents getting their first spectrum for free. 56mil is the closest to free they're going to get nowadays.

Plus wind gets 30mhz and incumbents only get 20.

Build some more towers wind I'll switch

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Why does the rogers extended coverage system need data roaming turned on?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Is that province wide for Wind in Alberta? I'd switch as well if they give some decent coverage in the mid size centers and highway corridors.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

cowofwar posted:

Why does the rogers extended coverage system need data roaming turned on?

My guess would be that the way it's been implemented is that you're roaming on the bell or Telus network, but you don't get charged for it. Just putting you on their network would be very weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Android 5.1 is supposedly bringing in HD voice. This is supported on Rogers, right?