Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
I love the fact that none of the actual pharma reps in the report where really attractive but they had 2 bald middle-aged guys. But I guess sitcom stereotypes now qualify as "evidence".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!

Echo Chamber posted:

I'm glad The Onion's actors are still finding work.

Duncan Birch owns.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

GaussianCopula posted:

I love the fact that none of the actual pharma reps in the report where really attractive but they had 2 bald middle-aged guys. But I guess sitcom stereotypes now qualify as "evidence".

I'm going to willfully disregard your red title and say that, unless you are proposing that pharma reps are somehow immortals who never age, I'm assuming that these former pharma reps where active pharma reps when they were younger and probably more attractive/less bald.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
Why isn't this show over 30 minutes? You don't understand, I need a constant stream of John talking in my ears at all times.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

SyRauk posted:

Why isn't this show over 30 minutes? You don't understand, I need a constant stream of John talking in my ears at all times.

You can always listen to old episodes of The Bugle.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~

Dude's all over the place. He was just the shark wrangler on John Mayer's Late Late show interview with Katy Perry's Superbowl sharks.

devoir
Nov 16, 2007
If anyone wants to re-watch or spread around the centerpiece from last night's episode - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQZ2UeOTO3I

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

Sulphuric Sundae posted:

Try this link: http://www.cms.gov/openpayments/
I got to that one just now, but I definitely couldn't get to it at 11:30PM last night.

devoir posted:

If anyone wants to re-watch or spread around the centerpiece from last night's episode - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQZ2UeOTO3I

Thank you and Thank You :)

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I get the concern for being anti-pharm, but we must consider that it's quite possible John will do an anti-vaxx story sooner or later.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I don't see how the two are related.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Basically, the line of reasoning goes, "doctors are untrustworthy because of the corrupting influence of Big Pharma, therefore we shouldn't trust them when it comes to vaccines, either".

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

They aren't as vaccines are not terribly profitable for them, but a big line of reasoning the anti-vax shitlords like to trot out now that most people are aware that the autism connection is discredited is concern trolling over how big pharma is untrustworthy and well we just really don't know what's in there, do you trust a big corporation to inject something into your child?

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
The absurdity of the anti-vax movement has been covered by Jon Stewart and Larry Wilmore to mixed degrees of success. (Larry called anti-vaxxers crazy in his monologue, but sadly still had an insufferable concern troll anti-vaxxer as a panelist.)

But I would still want to see Oliver explicitly tackle the subject anyway; given he finds a fresh angle that somehow makes anti-vaxxer look even worse in ways I haven't even considered yet. Also he should do it just as a passive aggressive dig at his HBO colleague who's still batshit ignorant about modern medicine.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Ughhh this show is so loving good it almost hurts. I can't wait for each episode to drop, I haven't felt this way about a TV show in years.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I've got a feeling that he's going to regret declaring a Twitter war against President Rafael Correa. @LastWeekTonight has about 270,000 Twitter followers and @iamjohnoliver has about 757,000 but @MashiRafael has two million.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I've got a feeling that he's going to regret declaring a Twitter war against President Rafael Correa. @LastWeekTonight has about 270,000 Twitter followers and @iamjohnoliver has about 757,000 but @MashiRafael has two million.

I doubt John would regret any kind of pushback from President Rafael Correa because it would only help to promote his show, but the intern they hired to run @LastWeekTonight might.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Poking an honest to god state leader into starting a twitter war with a comedy show that seemingly has no limits imposed upon it that he can't actually do anything whatsoever about is a loss for Oliver how? The only way el presidente wins that game is if he doesn't play it, which it seems he's probably not smart or in control of himself enough to realize.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

comes along bort posted:

PhRMA doesn't give two shits about vaccines because they're the least profitable and most heavily regulated part of the drug industry. One boner or cholesterol pill can account for twice as much revenue as an entire vaccine division.

But stupid people don't realise this and will lump everything into the "doctors are evil" basket

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Openpayment did help confirm what I've suspected for a long time--this local doc who gave my dad some random pills for his sleeping problems is crooked as gently caress.

He got three thousand in 2013 from one company alone, split between "speaking fees" and a trip to Tuscon.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I get the concern for being anti-pharm, but we must consider that it's quite possible John will do an anti-vaxx story sooner or later.

Why? John and the writing staff are not loving idiots.

Or are you suggesting a story about anti-vaxx loonies?

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

I doubt Oliver will tackle the anti-vaccine movement any time soon. A large portion of the charm of his show is that he covers issues that isn't being given much attention by the mainstream media, and anti-vaccine people have been in the news a lot.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

He called the FCC a dingo and he was forced to respond to it in a press conference and he called the head of FIFA even worse to the point that everyone calls him on it. Oliver has no fear.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Shadoer posted:

I doubt Oliver will tackle the anti-vaccine movement any time soon. A large portion of the charm of his show is that he covers issues that isn't being given much attention by the mainstream media, and anti-vaccine people have been in the news a lot.

It'd be interesting if he does anti-vaccine movements in other parts of the world. Or is it not a thing anywhere else?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Relentlessboredomm posted:

It'd be interesting if he does anti-vaccine movements in other parts of the world. Or is it not a thing anywhere else?

It started in the UK and it's still a thing there

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

IRQ posted:

Poking an honest to god state leader into starting a twitter war with a comedy show that seemingly has no limits imposed upon it that he can't actually do anything whatsoever about is a loss for Oliver how? The only way el presidente wins that game is if he doesn't play it, which it seems he's probably not smart or in control of himself enough to realize.

Correa himself isn't a problem but his 2 milllion Twitter followers might be. Even if only 1% of them are crazy patriotic internet weirdos that's still 20,000 people who will be out to harass Oliver online any way they can. And that's the absolute best case scenario, it might be more like several hundred thousand.

I guess we'll find out next week if he regrets declaring war on a nation of fiery Latinos. :v:

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Feb 10, 2015

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

GutBomb posted:

It started in the UK and it's still a thing there

I wasn't sure if it had petered out over there or not. I was wondering if it was a thing in Australia. I know that's the birthplace of creationism so anything's possible. I would love if he did a thing on Australian creationists. His last visit where he described their racism as a comfortable slipper was amazing.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Yeah it's a thing in Australia. Someone on one of my Australian friend's Facebook threads said she chose to vaccinate her children homeopathically and I had to turn my computer off and go for a walk outside for a bit.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Yeah it's a thing in Australia. Someone on one of my Australian friend's Facebook threads said she chose to vaccinate her children homeopathically and I had to turn my computer off and go for a walk outside for a bit.

A lot of people don't realize what homeopathy is and conflate it with holistic "medicine". While holistic vaccines are just as dumb, it's not as dumb as homeopathic vaccines.

Edit: thinking about it, homeopathic vaccines actually do make a trace amount of sense more than holistic because even one tiny amount of actual vaccine had to be involved in the homeopathic vaccine, just diluted a hundred billion times. If she actually vaccinated her kids homeopathically the joke's on her, she actually did give her kid a trace amount of vaccine (in theory).

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
James Randi traveling the world and eating the contents of an entire bottle of homeopathic sleeping pills in front of large crowds (then not dying shortly thereafter) will never get old. Homeopathy is the worst.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Wouldn't a homeopathic vaccine be like when everyone's moms made them go play with the kid that got chicken pox? Only with highly infectious and deadly diseases?

Sure that sounds like a wonderful idea.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

How would this actually work? Presumably you would have to get vaccinated by going to a doctor and having them administer the shot, unless there are places where you can just buy the vaccine on its own and do it yourself at home like some weird vaccine junky. I assume any doctor, anywhere, wouldn't agree to some idiot parent's request to water down the vaccine before administering it until only the "spirit of the vaccine" remained.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
No it would be more like taking a skin flake of a diseased child, dropping it in the sea in San Francisco, and then dipping your child into the Atlantic Ocean to immunize your kid.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I marathon listened to a podcast called Oh No, Ross and Carrie and they had a homeopathy episode in which they too ate like a hundred homeopathic pills each. Be careful though because you can call things homeopathic even if they aren't.

Maybe doctors administering "homeopathic" vaccines are just giving regular vaccines. That would be pretty awesome.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Samopsa posted:

No it would be more like taking a skin flake of a diseased child, dropping it in the sea in San Francisco, and then dipping your child into the Atlantic Ocean to immunize your kid.

What about the part of him you hold onto to dunk him? One day, 20 years later, a measles is going to hit him on the heel and then what, THEN WHAT?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

IRQ posted:

Wouldn't a homeopathic vaccine be like when everyone's moms made them go play with the kid that got chicken pox? Only with highly infectious and deadly diseases?

Sure that sounds like a wonderful idea.

No, homeopathy is something that actually does something distilled down to absolutely nothing because it's mixed with so much goddamn water that it is insignificant. The water "remembers", you see.

Homeopathy and holistic medicine often get confused, but at least holistic remedies often involve things that are actually things.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
A great take on Homeopathy is from Martin Gardner's Fads and Fallacies

Martin Gardner posted:

Some idea of the worth of homeopathic medicines may be gath­ered from the fact that one of them (no longer used) was called lachryma filia, and consisted of tears from a weeping young girl. Other curious remedies are made from such substances as powdered starfish ( asterias rubens), skunk secretion ( mephitis), crushed live bedbugs (cimex lectularius), powdered anthracite coal, powdered oyster shells, and uric acid (acidum uricum) obtained from human urine or snake excrement. Most homeopathic medicines are obtained from plants, though in recent years there has been a trend toward proving metallic compounds. Any substance, organic or inorganic, is a potential homeopathic drug. A doctor announces that he has proved a new medicine, colleagues try it out, patients get well, and so a new remedy is added to the materia medica. Research by re­liable pharmacologists has shown that all these weird drugs, in the diluted form in which they are given, are entirely harmless..produc­ing neither symptoms nor cures (except, of course, psychosomatic ones).

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Gonz posted:

James Randi traveling the world and eating the contents of an entire bottle of homeopathic sleeping pills in front of large crowds (then not dying shortly thereafter) will never get old. Homeopathy is the worst.

The even funnier/not funnier thing is that you can't do this with any old random "homeopathic" pills you find on a shelf somewhere. Since there's little to no regulation on the word "homeopathic" companies are free to throw ingredients into a pill at levels where they will have a measurable effect and still label the bottle as homeopathic to lure in the suckers. It would still probably be completely harmless to everything but your taste buds to down a whole bottle since they also probably aren't using actual medicine but basically don't go eating a whole bottle of pills no matter what the label says unless you're magic like James Randi.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Relentlessboredomm posted:

I wasn't sure if it had petered out over there or not. I was wondering if it was a thing in Australia. I know that's the birthplace of creationism so anything's possible.

I'm... pretty sure creationism predates... well, Australia. By several millennia.

Anti-vaxxers exist in Australia but I think it's much less of a thing than America. You'll be provided with a lot of the vaccinations as standard for free and administered them at school if they're post-infancy, and whilst it's possible to refuse it's pretty much just accepted as norm by most people. There was a recent thing where a prominent American anti-vaxxer tried to do a speaking tour and had to cancel when all of the venues refused to show her under public pressure.

That said, they certainly exist. Especially in the modern media era, it's hard for any movement not to percolate internationally, and Australians can be pretty good at being stupid.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Feb 11, 2015

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

You can always listen to old episodes of The Bugle.

Or new ones. He still does it every week.

sbaldrick posted:

He called the FCC a dingo and he was forced to respond to it in a press conference and he called the head of FIFA even worse to the point that everyone calls him on it. Oliver has no fear.

When the new Net Neutrality rules pass later this month I really, really, really hope he gives credit to Wheeler for not being a dingo anymore.

axeil fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Feb 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I pigpoopballs'd him promptly after watching that segment and I encourage everyone to do the same.

Shadoer posted:

Not necessarily- there was a police segment on the show that happened the week of the Michael Brown killing.

• Locked thread