Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Sandweed posted:

the tipedo is an amazing mobility tool, good copter and good air melee.

Also huge spoiler ahead.

Those must've been there for a while though, considering I didn't catch'em when I diff'd through the update.

And last time we saw similar lines they turned out to be the G3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Nalesh posted:

What's a good high tier weapon for valkyr? currently using the scoliac due to the nice room clear and mobility.

Get the mod to increase power duration. Get a critical based weapon (since her ult has a base critical of 15% that's additive with your weapons critical chance, according to wiki) or a heavy weapon ( since you use it's damage plus the base damage of her ult)
Blend everything forever.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Dahbadu posted:

Here's my list of non-prime weapons that are solid performers. I'm also a fan of ammo efficiency and not having to reload constantly, so all the guns recommended will last you through long missions or prolonged firefights.

Primaries:

Kohm (market bp) - possibly the best primary weapon in the game (mod it for ammo efficiency)
Quanta (clan tech bp)
Synapse (clan tech bp)

Add Amprex to that list for just ridiculous disco shenanigans. Formaing mine now and aside from needing a rifle ammo mutation, the thing is just beastly if you can get a bit closer to your enemies. It's also a ridiculous CC-machine since you can have both blast and electric damage, along with ~50% status chance once you forma it a couple times. And even starting off, it'll make most things in range do the electric boogie while slowly losing health. :allears:

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

I've been planning on leveling up my Amprex, as I finally got Serration to Level 9 and I don't know what else to do with my beautiful Dread. What has better shenanigans value? Amprex or Ignis? Or are they both pretty hilarious? I saw someone using an Ignis the other day modified with blast or something, and it looked like that death ray gun that the Pyro uses from Team Fortress 2.

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Feb 9, 2015

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

I'm running my amprex as viral/shock with the newly buffed sinister reach in it. Why yes, this does feel like a warcrime, why do you ask?

Ignis is a gimic. a Fun burn everything one, but the low base damage, lack of good crits, low status chance makes it unfit for anything past level 20. Amprex is by far the better weapon for a similar role of 'flamethrower'

Coldbird
Jul 17, 2001

be spiritless

tlarn posted:

Really hoping the whole Sentient doesn't turn out to be a retread of Mass Effect's super-powerful-ancient-race thing because holy lol was that stuff dumb.
I get some impression they will be different than Reapers simply because of what was stated about what they needed the Tenno for to begin with. The lore entries state that the more advanced weapons they used against the Sentients, the worse it got for the Orokin, presumably because they were some kind of super AI and could just assimilate any technology used against them.

Kind of like the Asgard trying to fight the Replicants in SG1? Their ideas weren't dumb enough to work. Reapers, otoh, were kind of a mishmash of space zombies, Cthulhu, and HAL9000.

It's about the only lolgical reason I can think of that a super tech empire would build inhuman bio-monsters controlled by semi-alien ghosts then arm them with bows and arrows and poo poo instead of something out of a Culture novel.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

Naturally Selected posted:

Add Amprex to that list for just ridiculous disco shenanigans. Formaing mine now and aside from needing a rifle ammo mutation, the thing is just beastly if you can get a bit closer to your enemies. It's also a ridiculous CC-machine since you can have both blast and electric damage, along with ~50% status chance once you forma it a couple times. And even starting off, it'll make most things in range do the electric boogie while slowly losing health. :allears:

I didn't initially include it because it seemed like it may chew through ammo and not last you for those 35+ minute survivals, even with an ammo mutation. But yeah, it looks beastly. I'll add it on there. Thanks for the input!

Dahbadu fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Feb 10, 2015

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Dahbadu posted:

I didn't initially include it because it seemed like it may chew through ammo and not last you for those 35+ minute survivals, even with an ammo mutation. But yeah, it looks beastly. I'll add it on there. Thanks for the input!

Amprex runs out of ammo really fast yeah.

wtsnaename
Dec 20, 2005

And their legs get
stuck in my teeth!
Amprex is perfectly serviceable in most missions, but if you're going for a long haul survival or something to that effect it will never be the weapon to choose, regardless if you use mutations or fire rate reductions.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

Sandweed posted:

Next event will have a quanta vandal as reward according to datamining.

What's the deal with events? Like, when do they happen, for how long, what type of prerequisites are involved for participating, how are they advertised, etc.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I trashed my amprex as soon as I got my Kohm and saw what it could do.
Then it got nerfed. :negative:

^^^^
Events will have a big announcement, new game login page, Lotus will message you, the navigation popup gets HUGE, etc.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

Denzine posted:

I like how Lotus is confused. You'd think she'd remember them.
Probably some random plot device to retcon that away will happen, let's just go with it for now, this is DE after all. For all we know the Sentients could have evolved a bit more and all or the remainder gone crazy like Stalker.

wtsnaename posted:

Amprex is perfectly serviceable in most missions, but if you're going for a long haul survival or something to that effect it will never be the weapon to choose, regardless if you use mutations or fire rate reductions.
I run Amprex in survival runs to 40 min with heavy use of my sidearms and by playing as Nekros where I'm drunk and using a macro to hit 3 for me a lot instead of actually doing damage. But the optimal mod to use with it is a single Rifle Scavenger aura, but that's a waste of an aura slot when you could have 4x Corrosive Projection or an Energy Siphon instead.

I also run my Amprex typically with Radiation and Viral to help take some heat off of me while I reload again. And again. And again. When you're getting really close to enemies to be able to use Amprex, you're taking a lot of risk so it's better to let radiation proc and to get enemies working against each other.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahaha.

So, hotfix came out. Adding 5-packs of rare cores to high-level intercept and survival missions.

: DE: literally could not go a week without bringing Draco back as the #1 farm spot.

In the grim darkness of the ninjas, there is only 4.

Only now instead of it being a once a day thing for when you wanted to not pay attention and max rep, you know there will be people running it 24/7 for sweet sweet cores.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Given it's level 20+ for 'hard' missions shouldn't it be easier to run Phobos so you start at lv. 20 rather than Ceres where it starts at 35?

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

So, hotfix came out. Adding 5-packs of rare cores to high-level intercept and survival missions.

: DE: literally could not go a week without bringing Draco back as the #1 farm spot.

Only now instead of it being a once a day thing for when you wanted to not pay attention and max rep, you know there will be people running it 24/7 for sweet sweet cores.
Well, if that's the way of the future I'd better get on the Excal train. What's the recommended build for Excal radial javelin spam?

pyromance
Sep 25, 2006

The only stuff people run now are endless or void, so there's an obvious lack of reward incentive to run the other mission types. They should probably just add cores as rewards for non-endless star map missions.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

And they still haven't fixed the trade bug that I, and several others have.

A random number generator could make more sensible choices than :de:

Passburger
May 4, 2013
edit

Passburger fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Sep 21, 2016

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Denzine posted:

I like how Lotus is confused. You'd think she'd remember them.

Could be confusion that they're still around? "What the gently caress, you're supposed to be dead! Uh, uh, PANIC"

That's probably giving DE way too much credit, though.

Edit: Isn't it also stated she's forgotten poo poo? She doesn't remember jack about Mirage until you do that quest, and finding the parts gives her flashbacks.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Kyte posted:

Given it's level 20+ for 'hard' missions shouldn't it be easier to run Phobos so you start at lv. 20 rather than Ceres where it starts at 35?

Can you farm phobos with an excal or saryn+trinity? Sincerely asking since I don't know. Also, Draco drops t4I keys, so we just got the double whammy of cores+t4i.

And yeah, non-endless stuff is fun as hell, but if you actually want something (cores/mats/keys/whatever) you're almost always better off running endless due to the sheer number of resources and xp you can get from it.

E: I'm in no way saying "don't run others". I love me some exterminations/spy 2.0 for actual ninja-ing shenanigans. It'd just be nice if they actually paid out.

Naturally Selected fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Feb 10, 2015

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Nalesh posted:

And they still haven't fixed the trade bug that I, and several others have.

Or perhaps they haven't been able to repro/figure out what's causing it? Programming is hard, dude.

Can you farm phobos with an excal or saryn+trinity? Sincerely asking since I don't know. Also, Draco drops t4I keys, so we just got the double whammy of cores+t4i.

And yeah, non-endless stuff is fun as hell, but if you actually want something (cores/mats/keys/whatever) you're almost always better off running endless due to the sheer number of resources and xp you can get from it.

E: I'm in no way saying "don't run others". I love me some exterminations/spy 2.0 for actual ninja-ing shenanigans. It'd just be nice if they actually paid out.

Phobos is Grineer so I assume it's yes.

Stealthkilling your way through an exterminate or assassination yields preposterous amounts of XP for how much time you spend in it, so there's that. (actually I'm not sure how much it takes but it sure feels less. And more fun to boot)

Kyte fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Feb 10, 2015

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.

Nalesh posted:

DE used a broken RNG for aaaages despite player complaints and evidence such as websites that would allow you to reliably predict what your Defense wave rewards would be.

Kyte posted:

Draco's small enough that Trinity and a nuke frame will let you press4 for 10-15 minutes and hit round 4. It's extremely quick and easy and everyone who isn't the nuker gets a ton of affinity for all their gear.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Could be confusion that they're still around? "What the gently caress, you're supposed to be dead! Uh, uh, PANIC"

Edit: Isn't it also stated she's forgotten poo poo? She doesn't remember jack about Mirage until you do that quest, and finding the parts gives her flashbacks.

Yeah, this was my explanation. the Sentients were supposed to be dead and the Orokin were victorious. Short time later, the Tenno kill all of the major Orokin leaders which leads to a huge war (The "Old War". You know how Ordis keeps playing that quote? Well guess how happy he would be if he discovered you participated in slaughtering his Orokin creators. It's dramatic irony on DE's part). Unknown amount of time passes and the Tenno go into cryosleep. Even more time passes, and it's the present day

No surprise that Lotus' memory is a little rusty. She might not have even existed before the Old War.

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.
https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/399446-hotfix-15137/

-Fixed players being able to wallrun against corners to go through terrain.

They have removed wallphasing. This is good because you would sometimes jump through walls accidentally, but it is bad because now you have to run Loki to get through closed doors in the Void.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Denzine posted:

DE used a broken RNG for aaaages despite player complaints and evidence such as websites that would allow you to reliably predict what your Defense wave rewards would be.

The latter wasn't actually the fault of the RNG, it was that the reward system only ever picked two random numbers: an initial result to get the first reward and an offset that was just added onto the previous reward value to generate the next reward. If they had just run the RNG anew each time the prediction wouldn't have worked.

The broken RNG was still random, it just wasn't uniformly random.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
RNG's are actually kind of hard to program correctly, but meh.

In other news, I (and like three others) lost High Noon to the hotfix. but a support ticket to DE might end up with me getting it back? Stay tuned.

Coldbird
Jul 17, 2001

be spiritless
:tinfoil: lorelol theory:

Lotus is the last Sentient, or a renegade one or something. It's stated the Sentients used Orokin technology against them, but the Tenno were (presumably) resistant to that and used weapons too primitive for the Sentients to control.

We also know the Orokin were brought down by the Tenno. It makes sense to wonder if the Tenno actually "turned against" the Orokin because the Sentients actually did find a way to control them, and waited until they had the Orokin leadership all together on Pluto like that to take control and zoren chop everybody. Brain wipe all Tenno afterwards to keep them from remembering whatever Lotus got up to.

Now we're all flying around working for the same possibly still evil AI (this is assuming killing the Orokin was actually a bad thing, which is an open question), though maybe she actually changed her mind while we were sleeping off our thousand year hangover or whatever.

Also, every other AI in the game (Suda, Ordis, the new librarian guy) is a Cephalon, except for Lotus.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

SSNeoman posted:

Yeah, this was my explanation. the Sentients were supposed to be dead and the Orokin were victorious. Short time later, the Tenno kill all of the major Orokin leaders which leads to a huge war (The "Old War". You know how Ordis keeps playing that quote? Well guess how happy he would be if he discovered you participated in slaughtering his Orokin creators. It's dramatic irony on DE's part). Unknown amount of time passes and the Tenno go into cryosleep. Even more time passes, and it's the present day

No surprise that Lotus' memory is a little rusty. She might not have even existed before the Old War.

My assumption is that Lotus was likely accidentally wakened by the Corpus or Grineer and is possibly a mad AI that is waking the Tenno without any, real plan. The Tenno are literal technocite viruses.

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

RNG's are actually kind of hard to program correctly, but meh.

The problem was, according to [DE]Drew(aka Grineeer{i think}), the seed was truncated severely. When using it to output white/black pixels in a 32x32 grid it made a lovely wave pattern.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Denzine posted:

The problem was, according to [DE]Drew(aka Grineeer{i think}), the seed was truncated severely. When using it to output white/black pixels in a 32x32 grid it made a lovely wave pattern.

That sounds about right. They prolly also did it quick and dirty to begin with when they didn't really know how big the game was going to get and kind of paid for it.

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.
It's using the same RNG now as it was then, it just doesn't use the truncated seed for mission rewards any more.

edit: Truncated seed is used for stuff like cone-of-fire calcs and particles and other stuff that happens a bunch so it doesn't really matter if it's not truly random. There was(and is) a full seed which made the 32x32 grid look like proper white noise. It just wasn't used.

Denzine fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Feb 10, 2015

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Denzine posted:

It's using the same RNG now as it was then, it just doesn't use the truncated seed for mission rewards any more.

That's not the worst thing in the world, tbh. Again fixing it might be more trouble than its really worth.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

My assumption is that Lotus was likely accidentally wakened by the Corpus or Grineer and is possibly a mad AI that is waking the Tenno without any, real plan. The Tenno are literal technocite viruses.

This is pretty spot-on IMO. Along with the Sentient idea-what do we *actually* know? Tenno get woken up by some dismbodied voice and set loose on the sol system, while being told "yeah everyone is evil and out to get you/murder THE COLONISTS(whom you never see or hear from)" Tenno then happily proceed to murder thousands of whoever happens to be on that particular planet, blow the poo poo out of their ships/crash them into moons, and kill their leaders. Not much justification given other than "kill this prick he's important". Granted, a few of the bosses are straight insane, but it might be understandable if a bunch of invincible homicidal maniacs showed up and killed a few batallions of your men.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

They were asking for it, carrying all those resources and blueprints.

wid
Sep 7, 2005
Living in paradise (only bombed once)

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

We don't need to spoiler text pure speculations, right?

We don't know what the Sentients are except that the Orokin said the more advanced the tech they used against them, the more powerful the Sentients get. So it's easy to assume they're more robot-like than anything. Also, so far there are no true alien life form in WF universe other than random animals like Desert Skates. So possibly the Sentients are some sort of AIs, maybe precursor to Cephalons. The Orokin used the technocyte virus (more organic than robotic) to fight them but that didn't work, I assume due to technocyte monstrosities, the Infested, are uncontrollable. Can't use robots, can't use bio-monsters. Then they got mutant humans with super powers from the Void. I am assuming the Void is like Babylon 5's hyper-space, a different dimension that could be used as a shortcut to real-space. Orokin ships like the Zariman got lost in it, probably due to "jump" malfunction, like ships could get lost in hyper-space. I'm also assuming prolonged exposure to the Void could alter beings from real-space. In Stalker's blurb, it is said the Tenno managed to drive back the Sentients, not eradicating them. I'm assuming they got pushed into the Void. Then, according to Stalker, the Tenno wiped out the Orokin.

Another lore speculation I like to think about is the Tenno. Warframes are the "bodies" the Tenno used. It is hinted that warframes are made in labs (Rhino Prime blurb), they used to have mouths and the Zariman mutants could somehow make them docile. The Tenno is probably the ghost mutants that could inhabit warframes. And the Orokin made warframes by infecting Void mutants (maybe even from the Zariman since proto-Ember was there) with technocyte virus (thus the old J3 Golem and Phorid's dialogue stating how the Tenno/Warframe are "of their flesh"). Once they formed the warframe, they could replicate it as shown as the Tenno making warframes in their space 3D printers. But the original warframes have mouths and pretty much uncontrollable as they're powered-up Infested monsters. So, by my speculation, is that the Orokin cuts off their heads or at least replace the heads with a different, brainless one for mass production. Then they can put any helmet on the now brainless living armor, which might explain why Frost's Squall helmet and Limbo's helmet are missing the top part of a human head and warframes have no need for eyes and mouths but still needs oxygen. Warframes do not need proper heads because it is controlled operated by a ghost/disembodied mind of a Void mutant (thus called "Controller" "Operator"). It's also why the warframes have preset genders, as they're copies of the first Void mutant infected with the virus. The first Limbo and Mirage are confirmed to be dead but the rest are still unknown. Hell, they could even make a case with Stalker being the first Excalibur.

I can't say if the Lotus is part of the Sentients. But Orokin culture is rife with lotus being a symbol. A lot of doors and tunnels in Orokin towers look like lotus symbols. The lotus might be a symbol of the Orokin empire. But yeah, her appearance being different to Cephalons is curious. She might not be pure AI. There's no way they'd make her secretly evil though, the fanbase will go berserk. Most likely she's one of the people who first created the Tenno and "sacrificed" herself to be their eternal caretaker. She already acts like the Tenno's mom anyway.

PS. I'm sorry if my speculation doesn't involve the Tenno being a bishonen/bishojo wrapped in armor like so many animu fanarts.

wid fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Feb 10, 2015

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
gasghagabab The Tenno are not loving ghosts, do not start that bullshit again

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Stepping away from lore chat for a bit, I feel like I don't entirely understand the circumstances to get the stealth XP bonuses. I was going around with Loki and my Dread, and sometimes I would get the bonus, but if I accidentally got detected, I wouldn't get the bonus (duh), even after I had killed everyone in that room/adjacent rooms and gone a ways away. I mean, I was shooting guys who were just standing there, not taking a combat stance or anything, but no bonus. What gives?

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

gasghagabab The Tenno are not loving ghosts, do not start that bullshit again

:ghost:

edit: also the Lotus is actually your mom

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

hooah posted:

Stepping away from lore chat for a bit, I feel like I don't entirely understand the circumstances to get the stealth XP bonuses. I was going around with Loki and my Dread, and sometimes I would get the bonus, but if I accidentally got detected, I wouldn't get the bonus (duh), even after I had killed everyone in that room/adjacent rooms and gone a ways away. I mean, I was shooting guys who were just standing there, not taking a combat stance or anything, but no bonus. What gives?

If they ever saw a dead body/heard gunfire, you won't get the bonus. There's also an insta-detection thing where if you skewer two or three targets at once, the first one will count as stealth while the others will "detect" the dead body+arrow flying towards them and not count as stealth kills. Bows end up kinda sucking because of that-if the arrow launches a corpse through other enemies' LOS, they go into alert mode instantly, even if they don't actually do the animation.

You're honestly better off using a hushed/suppressed gun, since it won't cause inconvenient body-moves.

wid posted:

(thus called "Controller").

They're called Operators :colbert:

Plot twist: they are ghosts of the TIER 1 OPERATORS from COD:Ghosts. it's an activision marketing ploy all along.

Naturally Selected fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Feb 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

'Orokin' is a corruption of Otherkin. Tenno are fursona costumes taken to ridiculous extremes.